Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 27, 2016
17 posts
Is anyone know how much time it take to get fingerprints and screening done ? I sent my fingerprints (electronic) and screening papers to the hr lady on Oct 2nd and still waiting to hear back , I applied for postel clerk, thank you
Sep 6, 2015
65 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
jadoo2015 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 10:37 am
Is anyone know how much time it take to get fingerprints and screening done ? I sent my fingerprints (electronic) and screening papers to the hr lady on Oct 2nd and still waiting to hear back , I applied for postel clerk, thank you
About 7-14 business days.
Aug 12, 2017
75 posts
19 upvotes
l1nx2112 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:58 pm
Oh ok, thanks. Looking back through the thread it seems it's either an email or phone call now. I'm just anxious to hear back.
mine was all e-mails until after the physical then it was a phone call to let me know the training date start...every step seemed to take around 1-2 weeks but really it is likely controlled more by upcoming training sessions...and it is also possible your recruiter may have booked off time around the long weekend so I wouldn't get too anxious.
Jun 20, 2016
34 posts
6 upvotes
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:12 pm
mine was all e-mails until after the physical then it was a phone call to let me know the training date start...every step seemed to take around 1-2 weeks but really it is likely controlled more by upcoming training sessions...and it is also possible your recruiter may have booked off time around the long weekend so I wouldn't get too anxious.
I'm just trying to keep busy as I wait. Thanks for your input, the wealth of knowledge this thread has is helping me pass the time pretty well, lol.
Aug 12, 2017
75 posts
19 upvotes
l1nx2112 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 6:21 pm
I'm just trying to keep busy as I wait. Thanks for your input, the wealth of knowledge this thread has is helping me pass the time pretty well, lol.
yeah I just passed my final training and sortation test today..this forum helped keep the anxiety levels in the manageable range...now just to wait for what will likely be a very long and error filled first delivery day lol
Sep 6, 2015
65 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:56 pm
yeah I just passed my final training and sortation test today..this forum helped keep the anxiety levels in the manageable range...now just to wait for what will likely be a very long and error filled first delivery day lol
Congrats! Your first day will be very easy, just let them (supervisor) know you are new when you first walk in. They'll most likely have the walk sorted for you and possibly the parcels exempt. Which means you'll be delivering only mail, neighborhood mail, and packets/small parcels. If you incurred any OT ask for the OT sheet.
Jun 20, 2016
34 posts
6 upvotes
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:56 pm
I hear ya. This is my second time around, I was hired around august last year and then waited for a training date.. 5 months later after the the negotiations were over, I heard back from a recruiter after I already moved up north. They told me to reapply when a position opens up. I did just that and the process is going a lot smoother. I'm just looking forward to getting started. It sucks having to do the process again but it's much easier the second time around lol.

I wonder if I will attend a training session in Barrie with others or if the depot in Midland will just have me train since only 1 position was open during the time I was applying.
May 2, 2012
588 posts
209 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
l1nx2112 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:19 pm
I hear ya. This is my second time around, I was hired around august last year and then waited for a training date.. 5 months later after the the negotiations were over, I heard back from a recruiter after I already moved up north. They told me to reapply when a position opens up. I did just that and the process is going a lot smoother. I'm just looking forward to getting started. It sucks having to do the process again but it's much easier the second time around lol.

I wonder if I will attend a training session in Barrie with others or if the depot in Midland will just have me train since only 1 position was open during the time I was applying.
How many walks are there in Midland? My parents live in Penetang, so I always wondered about the walls/seniority up there.
Jun 20, 2016
34 posts
6 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:50 pm
How many walks are there in Midland? My parents live in Penetang, so I always wondered about the walls/seniority up there.
I'm not sure. It's actually a pretty big town as you probably know. I see quite a few carriers and met a couple RSMCs. (I live in Port McNicoll), They had a posting up in Orangatang (Penetang) and Victoria Harbour last fall. I applied but a supervisor told me it was filled internally at the time. I wonder if some are retiring shortly and it may mean a better chance in getting full time or even part time perm in a shorter duration... or maybe I'm full of false hope but we will see lol
Apr 30, 2015
655 posts
441 upvotes
York, ON
When it comes to the small towns, you can be a temp there for years and years and years with no hope of ever getting hired. Other employees transfer to those places all the time because of lower costs of living. Any permanent employee with a transfer in takes priority over temps. I should know because this is my plan to get out of Toronto.

The one benefit of this job is you get paid the same no matter where you go, and every city has mail service.
Jan 5, 2014
168 posts
169 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
My plan to get out of my big city too... hope to transfer to a small town soon as well!
Oct 13, 2008
11 posts
mississauga
Has anyone worked as a temp plant supervisor on the floor or dock? Which is better and is afternoon or night shift the better shift with more opportunity.

Thread Information

There are currently 8 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 5 guests)

Shafted1, CanadaProud, digression