Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jun 20, 2016
14 posts
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:56 pm
yeah I just passed my final training and sortation test today..this forum helped keep the anxiety levels in the manageable range...now just to wait for what will likely be a very long and error filled first delivery day lol
I hear ya. This is my second time around, I was hired around august last year and then waited for a training date.. 5 months later after the the negotiations were over, I heard back from a recruiter after I already moved up north. They told me to reapply when a position opens up. I did just that and the process is going a lot smoother. I'm just looking forward to getting started. It sucks having to do the process again but it's much easier the second time around lol.

I wonder if I will attend a training session in Barrie with others or if the depot in Midland will just have me train since only 1 position was open during the time I was applying.
May 2, 2012
557 posts
194 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
l1nx2112 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:19 pm
I hear ya. This is my second time around, I was hired around august last year and then waited for a training date.. 5 months later after the the negotiations were over, I heard back from a recruiter after I already moved up north. They told me to reapply when a position opens up. I did just that and the process is going a lot smoother. I'm just looking forward to getting started. It sucks having to do the process again but it's much easier the second time around lol.

I wonder if I will attend a training session in Barrie with others or if the depot in Midland will just have me train since only 1 position was open during the time I was applying.
How many walks are there in Midland? My parents live in Penetang, so I always wondered about the walls/seniority up there.
Jun 20, 2016
14 posts
pike18 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:50 pm
How many walks are there in Midland? My parents live in Penetang, so I always wondered about the walls/seniority up there.
I'm not sure. It's actually a pretty big town as you probably know. I see quite a few carriers and met a couple RSMCs. (I live in Port McNicoll), They had a posting up in Orangatang (Penetang) and Victoria Harbour last fall. I applied but a supervisor told me it was filled internally at the time. I wonder if some are retiring shortly and it may mean a better chance in getting full time or even part time perm in a shorter duration... or maybe I'm full of false hope but we will see lol
Apr 30, 2015
602 posts
380 upvotes
York, ON
When it comes to the small towns, you can be a temp there for years and years and years with no hope of ever getting hired. Other employees transfer to those places all the time because of lower costs of living. Any permanent employee with a transfer in takes priority over temps. I should know because this is my plan to get out of Toronto.

The one benefit of this job is you get paid the same no matter where you go, and every city has mail service.
Jan 5, 2014
151 posts
155 upvotes
Edmonton
My plan to get out of my big city too... hope to transfer to a small town soon as well!
Oct 13, 2008
11 posts
mississauga
Has anyone worked as a temp plant supervisor on the floor or dock? Which is better and is afternoon or night shift the better shift with more opportunity.
Dec 7, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
Just a question, if you guys have a doctor's appointment, do you guys just drive to the hospital / clinic while on route? Or you guys take a sick day? Can you just drive to your appointment as long as you finish delivering the mails on time?
Dec 7, 2014
20 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa
CanadaProud wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 7:56 pm
yeah I just passed my final training and sortation test today..this forum helped keep the anxiety levels in the manageable range...now just to wait for what will likely be a very long and error filled first delivery day lol
Congrats! Was it hard?

When is your first full day? Is it immediately scheduled or you start waiting for the call for your first day?
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1711 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
There's almost no chance you will get hired in a small town from temp to FT. I have see people wait 12+ years to get transferred from GTA to places like Oshawa and Keswick. If you are going to stay that long might as well get benefits and start your pension clock.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1711 posts
163 upvotes
Toronto
PeculiarChap wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 6:50 pm
Just a question, if you guys have a doctor's appointment, do you guys just drive to the hospital / clinic while on route? Or you guys take a sick day? Can you just drive to your appointment as long as you finish delivering the mails on time?
If your doctor's office is on or close to your route I would just go. But if it is far I wouldn't take a corporate vehicle to your doctor's office. That would most likely a suspension at the least. Even as a fellow LC I think it would be uncool to do that.
Oct 16, 2014
963 posts
583 upvotes
Toronto, On
da_way wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 7:41 pm
If your doctor's office is on or close to your route I would just go. But if it is far I wouldn't take a corporate vehicle to your doctor's office. That would most likely a suspension at the least. Even as a fellow LC I think it would be uncool to do that.
Officially, you probably can't use a corporate vehicle to go off route to an appointment. If you got in an accident, and were nowhere near your route, what could you possibly say. That being said, if it is on your route.....you do get a 1/2 hour lunch that you can take "on route"... if it takes you longer, and it puts you into over time, it would also be very "uncool" to claim overtime, if not a reason for dismissal. I can't see anybody caring if you don't finish "on time" as long as you don't put in for overtime. Your call.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jan 21, 2013
1 posts
Guys, i have an interview next week for an on call delivery agent and i'm a bit confused about answers of a few questions :

1- If you find a hazard in the office and nobody is around you, what will you do?
2- You are on your mail route and a dog is sitting and barking on the front porch. You do not have access to the mailbox. What do you do?
3- You have to do a task you are not clear about. You ask your colleagues but they are not helping. What would you do?
4- You are delivering mail and a customer comes out of her house complaining about the delay in mail. How would you respond?
5- You are running late for a shift and you check your vehicle and realise that there is a gas leak, what do you do?
6- What would you do if your transport breaks down?
7- a colleague next to you is playing loud music while you both are sorting mail, and it's disrupting your concentration; what do you do?
8- What would you do if no body is sorting at a busy route next to you?
9- What would you do if you had to deliver mail but the pathway was icy?

I know they are a basic questions but i have really a long time i didn't do an interview so your answers to the questions will be much appreciated :)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10361 posts
2063 upvotes
GTA
algeriano85 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:35 pm
Guys, i have an interview next week for an on call delivery agent and i'm a bit confused about answers of a few questions :

1- If you find a hazard in the office and nobody is around you, what will you do?
If safe, get rid of hazard. If not, try and mark it as dangerous so nobody gets injured. Tell someone.
2- You are on your mail route and a dog is sitting and barking on the front porch. You do not have access to the mailbox. What do you do?
Mark the mail with 'dog' and continue on. If it happens next day, tell your supervisor.
3- You have to do a task you are not clear about. You ask your colleagues but they are not helping. What would you do?
Ask a supervisor.
4- You are delivering mail and a customer comes out of her house complaining about the delay in mail. How would you respond?
In a calm way, tell her some reason why. If that's not good enough, tell her to call the 1800 number.
5- You are running late for a shift and you check your vehicle and realise that there is a gas leak, what do you do?
GTFO and call your station.
6- What would you do if your transport breaks down?
Call station.

7- a colleague next to you is playing loud music while you both are sorting mail, and it's disrupting your concentration; what do you do?
Ask them to turn it down duh
8- What would you do if no body is sorting at a busy route next to you?
A/ Nothing, not your problem
B/ Inform supervisors as they may not be aware of an absence.
9- What would you do if you had to deliver mail but the pathway was icy?
Same as dog answer above.

I know they are a basic questions but i have really a long time i didn't do an interview so your answers to the questions will be much appreciated :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 20, 2016
14 posts
I found the that the interview was the easiest part as long as you have some sort of customer service background to match your questions with. They will tell you to answer in STAR format (which basically means you need to elavorate more) and that the answers will be marked by the HR analyst and by the supervisor(s) that you're interviewing with.

I'm still waiting to hear back after my physical. Did anyone else dread weekends since it adds to the limbo feeling? lol.
Sep 6, 2015
51 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
l1nx2112 wrote:
Oct 14th, 2017 9:24 am
I found the that the interview was the easiest part as long as you have some sort of customer service background to match your questions with. They will tell you to answer in STAR format (which basically means you need to elavorate more) and that the answers will be marked by the HR analyst and by the supervisor(s) that you're interviewing with.

I'm still waiting to hear back after my physical. Did anyone else dread weekends since it adds to the limbo feeling? lol.
It took me two weeks before i heard back from HR after completing my physical test. They have to ensure there are enough applicants in order to start the letter carrier school so this takes time as HR could possibly be waiting for other candidates to complete their tests? Each class consists of 10-12 people so if they currently only have 7 successful candidate, they'll wait until they have a minimum of 10.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

Richie1981, airmail