[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4620 posts
1279 upvotes
Winnipeg
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:36 am
Because the union has an agenda just like the company does. The only one that will really look out for you is .....you. Last contract, all they cared about was the rsmcs. They threw the urban carriers under the bus with this "40% less in flyer pay, to carry bigger and heavier flyers.....but hey, you MAY get another couple minutes of time values". I figure that the reason they really did that, was to free up money to help pay for what they thought would be a RSMC win, so that the company wouldn't immediately bleed money as a result of winning that arbitration. I went to the meetings and heard their spin on it, but it was just ridiculous.... Pretty funny, they talk about health and safety issues, and then they WILLINGLY helped to overburden the letter carriers. FOR LESS PAY !!!! lol. We REALLY, REALLY need a different union.
Next week is cdn tire catalogues as thick as ikea...5 days only
And toys r us thick ones only 3 days.
The only reason the union wants time instead of pay is to increase the members.

Keep in mind that cpc direct competition will be making 32$ an hour by 2020..our past few contracts we just lose more and more.
Oct 15, 2017
225 posts
134 upvotes
Canada
Looking to work for CP afternoon/evening shift during the week and anytime during the weekends. Is this even possible? Or is that something I would have to request after working there for for few months? I'm working full-time 8am-4pm Mon to Fri and looking for a second job.
Oct 29, 2017
3 posts
Has the ESS layout changed for anybody? I've been previously able to access and browse it with Firefox and view my hours, but now all it shows is a CUPW Temporary Employee page where I can only see/edit my contact info and view my work opportunity history. I'm on a Mac so Internet Explorer isn't an option.

I've been with CP now since August in the lower 905. Had steady work throughout all of September, then was told my depot had too many casuals so I had to switch lists to another depot within the city, or be benched. Now averaging 1 to 2 calls per week. As someone eager to work and the sole income earner in the household, please tell me it will get better :)
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
mikewrz wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:38 am
Has the ESS layout changed for anybody? I've been previously able to access and browse it with Firefox and view my hours, but now all it shows is a CUPW Temporary Employee page where I can only see/edit my contact info and view my work opportunity history. I'm on a Mac so Internet Explorer isn't an option.

I've been with CP now since August in the lower 905. Had steady work throughout all of September, then was told my depot had too many casuals so I had to switch lists to another depot within the city, or be benched. Now averaging 1 to 2 calls per week. As someone eager to work and the sole income earner in the household, please tell me it will get better :)
yeah it changed for me too..not everything but it still works if you have to edit something you just need to click on edit and it hyperlinked or something....looks strange though...on both firefox and IE so it is their end
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11241 posts
2659 upvotes
GTA
mikewrz wrote:

It will. Your seniority will build, sure you're even before all the newbies talking here about training :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11241 posts
2659 upvotes
GTA
datacat wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 12:16 am
^this bahaha I can do the job and I've proven it. Even when the stoopidvisors tried to intimidate and make me feel inferior and that I wasn't a good LC. I had this one B give me a hard time about bringing back mail on a route that wasn't covered for at least 1-2 days, and I was taking out the mail from those days as well, and she still had the nerve to tell me how the route owner "HER #1 GUY!" finished on time everyday. Meanwhile he was one of those that came in at least an hour early every morning from what I was told. Not to mention he's been doing the route for years and it was my second day just thrown into a backlog of mail and parcels. Good times! I'm not willing to put up with the crap anymore as LC.
If you're taking out more than one day of mail, you're supposed to be compensated for that, just like taking an extra split. So for her to give you sh!t about bringing back mail, I would've lost it and demanded a 24, then grieve it and won. They really do take advantage of people that don't know the 'rules' Grrrr.

Also, any time a stoopidvisor is giving me a slap on the wrist, I tell them to hang on and I get my shop steward or at least a witness, which usually stops them in their tracks. Two can play this intimidation game ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 30, 2015
803 posts
594 upvotes
York, ON
mikewrz wrote:

I use safari, works fine. More work than you'll want in the winter, careful what you wish for.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1583 posts
133 upvotes
onatrio
I seen posts on here mentioning should I work as letter carrier...my take
ive been a letter carrier for over 20 years and im considered a runner, every restructure I still was able to finish in good time , mostly around 12 noon, but this last restructure , the corp beat me,,hard to finish fast on an all cmb depot and hard to beat the corp when they have there volume count in the summer...for all new people looking to get hired on, check to see if that depot your interested is walking routes or cmbs..also if can see when there restructure was done,,if it was in the summer..forget about it...walking routes yes can finish early, light pt , can finish early..good luck on a n cmb route if restructure was done in the summer..i fly as I have to pick up my son from school ,,so everyday I work from 7-3 . no lunch or breaks,,lucky I have not killed someone with transat as I fly out there...so for yous that start out at 19 an hour...it would be more like 16 an hour because you working through lunch and breaks on these cmb routes...8 hours straight work...your better off getting a security job..that almost pays the same and no stress to finish early....also don't know how it is in other depots but we get a lot of addressed admail that we are not getting paid for,,and I see it more and more
Jan 5, 2014
207 posts
226 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
+1. The CMB routes are ridiculous... Not to mention all the missing parcel box keys.
May 21, 2013
802 posts
364 upvotes
Montreal
Slotstuffer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:49 pm
+1. The CMB routes are ridiculous... Not to mention all the missing parcel box keys.
lol I lose my shit when my clients keep the keys like honestly, how fking dumb can you get. When I tell my supervisor if he can replace some of the keys I get the "Oh were so busy and have no time so just card them." Customer service at its finest right there. What I do now is in each box I have little post it notes and take down who I leave what. If they keep the key they are on the naughty list.
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 6:29 am
lol I lose my shit when my clients keep the keys like honestly, how fking dumb can you get. When I tell my supervisor if he can replace some of the keys I get the "Oh were so busy and have no time so just card them." Customer service at its finest right there. What I do now is in each box I have little post it notes and take down who I leave what. If they keep the key they are on the naughty list.
my trainer told us that someone he worked with used little labeled fridge magnets and would just stick them inside the box who got which key
Dec 4, 2016
15 posts
7 upvotes
Just got permanent status 15 days after I transferred from LC to PO4 at ppc

There’s a lot of movement there if you’re in the GVRD area
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11241 posts
2659 upvotes
GTA
Damncroissants wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:16 pm

Congrats !!!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 11, 2012
129 posts
22 upvotes
Montreal
dsweetlou wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 9:10 am
Looking to work for CP afternoon/evening shift during the week and anytime during the weekends. Is this even possible? Or is that something I would have to request after working there for for few months? I'm working full-time 8am-4pm Mon to Fri and looking for a second job.
Only possible if you work at the plants.
Apr 30, 2017
110 posts
98 upvotes
Damncroissants wrote:
Oct 31st, 2017 5:16 pm

Only crappy part is your stuck on graveyards 3-8am which sucks

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Progatron