Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 14, 2015
229 posts
144 upvotes
The point is, I think we all want a decent wage, one that we receive through an honest days work.

Meanwhile, we are killing ourselves, and many people (myself included), are working for 19 or 20 and change.

Also, we want work/life balance, and that means no forced overtime constantly; routes that are impossible to finish in 8 hours.
Mar 14, 2015
229 posts
144 upvotes
A great start would be an admail division, or using the MSC route measurement system for devising parcel loads, rather than using the letter carrier workload formula.
Dec 13, 2016
103 posts
8 upvotes
How does probation work in practice? Once I hit 480 hours, I auto pass or is there a review?

Also, for people who started recently, what's the exact pay scale once you eventually get permanent. I know it's $19.86 until you are permanent. Does it then go up each year?
Oct 16, 2014
994 posts
620 upvotes
igloo, yukon
fogetmylogin wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 3:33 am
I find these anti-union views hilarious when they come from an industry like Canada Post. You realize without a strong union you are making like $13 an hour like every other completely unskilled person doing a slightly difficult job.
agree with stalbert1. This is a couple issue topic with a union that pits different segments (workers) against one another, to obtain a goal that doesn't benefit all. I am absolutely pro union and agree with many social issues like a minimum $15/hr wage, even if it means I have to pay a little more for things. The letter carriers used to have its own union, and ever since it was merged with cupw, the lc's have been screwed in the objective of getting gains for the other parties....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 16, 2014
994 posts
620 upvotes
igloo, yukon
fogetmylogin wrote:
I find these anti-union views hilarious when they come from an industry like Canada Post. You realize without a strong union you are making like $13 an hour like every other completely unskilled person doing a slightly difficult job.
Oh and one other thing. You would be sadly mistaken that we would be making $13 hour without the union. There would nobody working here at $13 an hour period. They already can't keep people at the "union" negotiated wage of $19+ to start. It is a constant revolving door of employees, just go take a look at the CP website for "careers" and add up all the positions they are hiring for. I give you a few hours and use of a calculator....lol. And at $13, I wouldn't be working here at all. I would still be sitting behind a desk, making MORE than I am making now, in a NON UNION job....
Mar 24, 2016
265 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
fogetmylogin wrote:
I agree that your comment about the PAST cupw negotiations. It your 100% right that if it wasn't for them in the PAST you would be making $13. Well first of all this is NOT a $13 job. Not worth busting my A$$ for that. Even at The rate I am getting now there numerous time i call my wife and tell her, well this is it i had enough B.S. Im done with CP. So is $13 really worth the abuse supervisors, managers, customers, etc. etc.. No not really..

So why are we always reminded of what the union has done for us in the PAST. Unfortunately the world revolves on "so what can you do for me now or the future" not the PAST..

Look at Unifor and what have they accomplished for there members in the last year. Now look at what Cupw did for its members in the last year. And I would say absolutely nothing however my union dues at $76 per month comes out. Purolator got an increase. why cant we. WE work harder than them do we not
Mar 24, 2016
265 posts
265 upvotes
scarborough
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:37 am
Oh and one other thing. You would be sadly mistaken that we would be making $13 hour without the union. There would nobody working here at $13 an hour period. They already can't keep people at the "union" negotiated wage of $19+ to start. It is a constant revolving door of employees, just go take a look at the CP website for "careers" and add up all the positions they are hiring for. I give you a few hours and use of a calculator....lol. And at $13, I wouldn't be working here at all. I would still be sitting behind a desk, making MORE than I am making now, in a NON UNION job....
I agree i would never work for $13 at CP . This job is extremely demanding and it takes a certain individual that doesn't give up.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10428 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Nov 6th, 2017 11:41 pm
How does probation work in practice? Once I hit 480 hours, I auto pass or is there a review?

Also, for people who started recently, what's the exact pay scale once you eventually get permanent. I know it's $19.86 until you are permanent. Does it then go up each year?
From the collective agreement:

Images
  • screenshot.5.jpg

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 12, 2017
62 posts
17 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:13 pm
I agree that your comment about the PAST cupw negotiations. It your 100% right that if it wasn't for them in the PAST you would be making $13. Well first of all this is NOT a $13 job. Not worth busting my A$$ for that. Even at The rate I am getting now there numerous time i call my wife and tell her, well this is it i had enough B.S. Im done with CP. So is $13 really worth the abuse supervisors, managers, customers, etc. etc.. No not really..

So why are we always reminded of what the union has done for us in the PAST. Unfortunately the world revolves on "so what can you do for me now or the future" not the PAST..

Look at Unifor and what have they accomplished for there members in the last year. Now look at what Cupw did for its members in the last year. And I would say absolutely nothing however my union dues at $76 per month comes out. Purolator got an increase. why cant we. WE work harder than them do we not
new contract offer should be telling when minimum wage in Ontario is going up to $14/hour on Jan. 1st....Union will be raked over the coals if they don't get a significant increase at least in Ontario...I mean if you factor in 2019 raise to $15/hour minimum paying jobs are getting a raise $1.75 /$1.00 in the next 2 years.....so they are getting a significant increase (much deserved) but the Union MUST get a decent raise for everyone especially new hires who are under $20/hr....if not you would be better off getting a security job and watching Netflix all night long guarding a parking lot
Nov 1, 2017
4 posts
Help! Any one have any tips to get my sorting speed up? 1st day of sorting training/practise and I'm falling behind just about everyone in the class!
Desperate Term in training.
Oct 16, 2014
994 posts
620 upvotes
igloo, yukon
Justmeohmy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:40 pm
Help! Any one have any tips to get my sorting speed up? 1st day of sorting training/practise and I'm falling behind just about everyone in the class!
practice, practice, practice. People going for lunch, practice some more. i would suggest focusing on the last part of the address first to get you in the right ballpark on the case (the ave or street). Try to memorize where some of those streets or aves are on the case (and the color of the case strip) as you go. Just a couple until you really remember where they are, then try to add a few more....

That being said, not everybody is good at that skill, even with years of practice or owning their own route. I have seen senior route holders that still really struggle with it.
May 2, 2012
579 posts
206 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
explorer11 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 12:13 pm

FWIW Uniform completely sold out its future members in one of their last agreements

http://m.huffingtonpost.ca/sid-ryan/def ... 52896.html
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Justmeohmy wrote:
All you can do is try to understand how the case is set up. Numerical and alphabetically... Then each street will have a flow to it. EG: 11 9 7 5 3 cross street 1 2 4 6 8 10 If you can adjust your vision to recognize the odds and evens and remember street placement in regards to your case layout it will help you narrow it down. I remember running in the easiest streets and dropping anything I had trouble finding into blocks on the desk. You will come across the streets with the more sorting you do and then glance down and run in the forgotten ones as you add that learned sorting step. Slowly as you sort that case you will add locations of streets to memory and what not. Key is to not get hung up searching for an address to long like your doing a word search or something. Trust me as you sort your brain will clue into the process and after a while your hands know where to go before your brain does. Once you own a route for a year you can even start to sort by customer name and type of magazine! Dory method ftw... Just keep sorting, Just keep sorting...

Upper management also uses this method but slightly different... Just keep walking, Just keep walking
Dec 13, 2016
103 posts
8 upvotes
Justmeohmy wrote:
I finished training in September. I was actually a pretty good sorter right away but i was super nervous.

I'd suggest practicing a lot and do it at game speed. The most useful aspect to me was seeing what kind of missorts I tend to make innthat particular case, so I could remember them. Other than that, you will get to the right to speed. Even a girl who had only 85 per 10 minutes in her early practices eventually got to 120. Most other people had time to check some of their case. You'll get there.
Nov 19, 2008
205 posts
15 upvotes
York
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 3:12 pm
From the collective agreement:
Quick question, I've been permanent full time LC since July of 2016. My pay stub still shows that I'm earning $19.86 per hour. From my understanding I should have been earning $20.83 since July of 2017. Who should I talk to about this? Thanks for all your help. I've tried looking through the collective agreement, but it's not very clear to me.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

kehfun, donnatella, Crazyhorse75