Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
ttthai wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:26 pm
Quick question, I've been permanent full time LC since July of 2016. My pay stub still shows that I'm earning $19.86 per hour. From my understanding I should have been earning $20.83 since July of 2017. Who should I talk to about this? Thanks for all your help. I've tried looking through the collective agreement, but it's not very clear to me.
You need to start a paper trail with Access HR... Log on to ESS and you can find the contact information.
Nov 19, 2008
205 posts
15 upvotes
York
Slotstuffer wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:31 pm
You need to start a paper trail with Access HR... Log on to ESS and you can find the contact information.
Actually, I'm going through all of my pay stubs on MySap and I was earning $20.40 per hour until april of this year, then it went down to $19.86. Thanks for the tip, I will look into it now.
Mar 14, 2015
228 posts
143 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:31 pm
Contact AccessHR, and request a "pay inquiry". This is a record of service with your classifications, assignments, etc. Shows what you were paid for what job and when.

Forward that to your CUPW local and let them know there is a discrepancy; you haven't received your increase as per the collective agreement.
Nov 19, 2008
205 posts
15 upvotes
York
bigbluesky wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 11:39 pm
Contact AccessHR, and request a "pay inquiry". This is a record of service with your classifications, assignments, etc. Shows what you were paid for what job and when.

Forward that to your CUPW local and let them know there is a discrepancy; you haven't received your increase as per the collective agreement.
Yeah it's not just that, my hourly wage went down from 20.40 to 19.86 in april of 2017. but yes, I will be calling them in the morning to sort this out.
Apr 30, 2015
632 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
Did you ever move to a relief position after getting your full time?
Nov 19, 2008
205 posts
15 upvotes
York
No, i was unassigned for about 6 months and got my first route in January of this year then my second route in March and I've been on it ever since.

EDIT: I talked to AccessHR, apparently I was classified as an RLC until April 9th of this year. My next raise will be April 18th of next year. It's tough being in a job with no real pay increase in 4 years.
Aug 12, 2017
58 posts
16 upvotes
Justmeohmy wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 6:40 pm
Help! Any one have any tips to get my sorting speed up? 1st day of sorting training/practise and I'm falling behind just about everyone in the class!
Desperate Term in training.
I just did mine recently and even the slowest in class got fast enough and we had 2-3 left handed people. I would suggest going to Staples and buy an item called "Sortkwik" it is like a wax for your finger tips it shaved off 2 minutes of my sort the first time I tried it...also note the stuff will help while collating flyers once you are in depot....but yes keep up practicing trust your memory and only check address once as that is what likely slows you down the most....if a section of your case slows you down drop the letters on the stand for that section and finish at the end..(for example we had a section on the left of case that drove people crazy) just drop those letters until the end....but no worries they are not trying to fail you they are paying a lot of money for your training.
Apr 30, 2015
632 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
ttthai wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:05 am
No, i was unassigned for about 6 months and got my first route in January of this year then my second route in March and I've been on it ever since.

EDIT: I talked to AccessHR, apparently I was classified as an RLC until April 9th of this year. My next raise will be April 18th of next year. It's tough being in a job with no real pay increase in 4 years.
Yeah the RLC loophole is some major bullshit. It needs to change. The whole "it takes seven years to reach the top pay grade" is also complete bullshit. Not one person will ever reach the top grade within seven years because everyone starts as a term first. You could be working here for a decade and never make what people who were hired before 2011 make.
Feb 4, 2016
62 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
ttthai wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:05 am

So as RLC or/vr I won't get a raise? I got perm pt last year in Nov and was expecting to see a raise next week.... (currently perm ft vr)
Apr 30, 2015
632 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
If at any point you move to an RLC position your raise date moves to whenever you moved to RLC as it's a "promotion". If you're an RLC from your first assignment it would make no difference.
Feb 4, 2016
62 posts
16 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
tarjet wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 5:34 pm
If at any point you move to an RLC position your raise date moves to whenever you moved to RLC as it's a "promotion". If you're an RLC from your first assignment it would make no difference.
What if I owned a route right off the bat as a part timer? Then a monthish down the road the got full time but was put somewhere till I won an actual position somewhere.

Last year got my letter and it told me to bid. Won a part time route for my part time implementation date.
Nov 7, 2017
3 posts
Just finished by two weeks of training, one week in classroom and one week on the job with another letter carrier. I was told that I would be contacted about doing additional on the job training as the route I worked on for a week had no CMB's but they also said I could be called to work without first getting the additional on the job training. This worries me a bit as the only exposure I got to CMB's was the little bit of in classroom training I did and the city I'll be working in are CMB's mostly. Do you think my worry is pointless though as they will just call me for the training first?
Apr 30, 2015
632 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
This is pure speculation, but they'll do whatever they can to not pay you for more training. Honestly that little bit about saying you'd get more training sounds like standard canada post bs to me. You'll get called and thrown into the fire and probably have no clue what you're doing because that's how we roll at Canada's greatest 150 year old clown corp.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10424 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
Eh2794 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 6:45 pm
Just finished by two weeks of training, one week in classroom and one week on the job with another letter carrier. I was told that I would be contacted about doing additional on the job training as the route I worked on for a week had no CMB's but they also said I could be called to work without first getting the additional on the job training. This worries me a bit as the only exposure I got to CMB's was the little bit of in classroom training I did and the city I'll be working in are CMB's mostly. Do you think my worry is pointless though as they will just call me for the training first?
Don't worry at all. CMBs are extremely easy to do. You must've delivered to apartment mailboxes while training, same thing except for a few parcel boxes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)