Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sep 27, 2015
54 posts
8 upvotes
GTA
CanadaProud wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 4:40 pm
I thought most LCA were basically letter carriers working as floaters..taking out parcels for signatures doing RPO runs and such...(I am very green so could be wrong) perhaps he is confusing clerks and LCA?
Some depot make RLC to do the floater jobs, or make the RLC to cover LCA who is on vacation.
Feb 24, 2015
16 posts
3 upvotes
Courtice, ON
Any ocre rsmc here? On average how often do you find yourself working? Realize it can vary, more days around Christmas season and so forth. However outside the season, what's your average days working? Once a week, twice, not for weeks at at time etc? Started training last week and shadowing a rsmc this week. I've read sooooo many terrible things about being a ocre rsmc that I'm constantly wondering if I've made the correct decision. Looking to hear from current or past ocre rsmc.
Last edited by Michmuch on Nov 11th, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug 12, 2017
58 posts
16 upvotes
adesam2003 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:32 pm
hi bleys007. i missed a call to come for a chritmas assignment at canada post. please when do you think i can receive call for similar assignments? this is one month after my training with no call from ecclipse.
I went a month after training as well but my depot does not us eclipse...I just did 4 days of Clerk training (ugh 4:30am-8:30am) but this week I do Tues-Fri RLC. of course seeing how it has been a month since my LC on street and it will be my first solo day (after a long weekend I might add) so I am sure you will get a call soon as even my smaller depot has been talking about starting to work weekends...and my guess a lot more personal days and vacations in the next few weeks.
May 2, 2012
579 posts
206 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:27 pm
I mentioned flyers. Parcels are done by clerks.
Sorry, missed that. I’ve never seen clerks handle parcels in depots. There was actually grievances filed in our local for cross-sectioning work for this exact scenario.
Dec 6, 2010
270 posts
26 upvotes
Boaz76 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2017 2:52 pm

All of the tests were timed and my heart rate was measured throughout. You will also need to meet a Blood Pressure and resting heart rate measurement to begin the test so if having your blood pressure taken freaks you out, take some time to chill out before you walk in.

FIngerprints are mandatory as I understand it now, and you can have them done electronically which gets the results to HR in a matter of days.

I got a response back after my physical assessment in about 2-3 days with a formal offer to hire.

Good luck!
Hello:
I understand that if you perhaps have a similar name/birthday as someone with a criminal dossier, or if there is another reasonable/valid reason, you may have to submit fingerprints to remove yourself from the cloud of suspicion. But are fingerprints required of EVERY single applicant now, even if you have passed the security screening (i.e. you have NO criminal record)?

Has anyone here questioned CPC HR staff regarding this issue? Your fingerprints, DNA, your iris, yields highly personal information. Unless you are applying for law enforcement or high level national security positions I don't see what basis the postal service has to ask you for fingerprints for them to store permanently? Do Revenue Canada employees have to submit fingerprints? They have open/direct access to far more personal and sensitive information than any mailman ever will...

Thanks everyone....
Aug 12, 2017
58 posts
16 upvotes
This_is_your_Captain wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 5:00 am
Hello:
I understand that if you perhaps have a similar name/birthday as someone with a criminal dossier, or if there is another reasonable/valid reason, you may have to submit fingerprints to remove yourself from the cloud of suspicion. But are fingerprints required of EVERY single applicant now, even if you have passed the security screening (i.e. you have NO criminal record)?

Has anyone here questioned CPC HR staff regarding this issue? Your fingerprints, DNA, your iris, yields highly personal information. Unless you are applying for law enforcement or high level national security positions I don't see what basis the postal service has to ask you for fingerprints for them to store permanently? Do Revenue Canada employees have to submit fingerprints? They have open/direct access to far more personal and sensitive information than any mailman ever will...

Thanks everyone....
while I am not sure if they store them..every new hire as far as I know it get advanced security clearance which is everyone submitting fingerprints that go through electronically to RCMP....if you have lived outside of Canada in the last few years you also need security clearance from the country you resided in..I needed both RCMP and FBI clearance....I would be shocked if CP stores the fingerprints as they get sent to RCMP and THEY would store them....but if going for Canada post jobs..at least LC you will get fingerprinted. I would hazard a guess Corporate will try and add this to current employees as well (although most Unions fight this extremely hard)..my guess you will soon see employees needing prints done like once every 5 years or so..I was more shocked they didn't drug test
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4119 posts
1017 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hello:

Thanks everyone....
Having a valid security clearance is condition of employment. And yes cra does fingerprint.
I don't remember getting fingerprinted at CP, but could be a new policy.
I do remember a few who walked out of test, when they mentioned security clearance...lol
Jul 28, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Hello:

Thanks everyone....
I understand the finger print request and had no problem with doing them. A third party takes them and submits them to the RCMP to check your criminality. Working for Canada Post you handle all sorts of things from accepting cash to hand delivering marijuana. I don’t think it’s unreasonable at all.

I’m not sure if Revenue Canada does criminal background checks, however Court Services and MTO do.
Jun 20, 2016
34 posts
6 upvotes
What's the rule if you cannot come in on a day where the supervisor tells you to come in as a casual.. do you have a set number or percentage you have to be available or is it better to call in sick. I looked at the collective agreement but it is pretty vague in this area.

Also, I did overtime on Friday until 5:30pm. It was really icy/dark up here and I made it to my last relay box, Since I just started and was having a hard time finding mail boxes I called it a night. The supervisor was of course being a jerk but what's the general rule of bringing back mail? What do you all say/do?
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
l1nx2112 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:25 am
What's the rule if you cannot come in on a day where the supervisor tells you to come in as a casual.. do you have a set number or percentage you have to be available or is it better to call in sick. I looked at the collective agreement but it is pretty vague in this area.

Also, I did overtime on Friday until 5:30pm. It was really icy/dark up here and I made it to my last relay box, Since I just started and was having a hard time finding mail boxes I called it a night. The supervisor was of course being a jerk but what's the general rule of bringing back mail? What do you all say/do?
Don't just bring back mail call and let them make that decision. When you do call its health and safety concerns, please don't work in the dark that's just silly. Everybody needs to come back and quote health and safety imo... Its simple to me, I cannot work in the dark and in the ice I don't want to die or seriously injure myself.
Jun 20, 2016
34 posts
6 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:26 pm
Don't just bring back mail call and let them make that decision. When you do call its health and safety concerns, please don't work in the dark that's just silly. Everybody needs to come back and quote health and safety imo... Its simple to me, I cannot work in the dark and in the ice I don't want to die or seriously injure myself.
The supervisor didn't answer as they were just closing up the depot and heading home. Luckily I saw her when I was dropping off my stuff in the back. She just told me to wear cleats for the ice and use a flashlight as the job requires "the tools" to get it done and to work later next time. I don't think I'll work in the dark though at least in the winter so I see this becoming an issue if this happens again in the future. I did say because of safety though.
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
l1nx2112 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:42 pm
The supervisor didn't answer as they were just closing up the depot and heading home. Luckily I saw her when I was dropping off my stuff in the back. She just told me to wear cleats for the ice and use a flashlight as the job requires "the tools" to get it done and to work later next time. I don't think I'll work in the dark though at least in the winter so I see this becoming an issue if this happens again in the future. I did say because of safety though.
Personally I would ask that supervisor where the tools for their job is like a cordless phone so they can answer the phone in case of emergency. And if you feel safe walking around in ice with a flashlight that blinds you every time you look at your mail I say go for it, personally I will never do that.
Oct 6, 2017
6 posts
1 upvote
Anyone know when I can expect my first pay? I did a week of training on the week of Oct 23. And did some work the next week and on. When I log into SAP, under pay and compensation, it doesn't show any payroll
Oct 16, 2014
992 posts
615 upvotes
igloo, yukon
l1nx2112 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:25 am

pretty sure the Canada Post standard is that you deliver until done to a maximum of 8 pm. And yes, they provide you with cleats for the ice, and headlamps to deliver in the dark. Of course, the headlamps are a complete joke and do nothing to help you navigate through dangerous conditions, but that will always be their "answer". Remember, they care about your health and safety !!!! lol....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jul 28, 2017
24 posts
3 upvotes
Counut wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:58 pm
Anyone know when I can expect my first pay? I did a week of training on the week of Oct 23. And did some work the next week and on. When I log into SAP, under pay and compensation, it doesn't show any payroll
Get in touch with your supervisor. They will submit your info (training and any on the street time) if not, you’ll likely never get paid. Always keep track of your own hours and OT as they don’t automatically enter that either. Always check your payments/hours for discrepancies

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 1 guest)

airmail, Pjtipps, dataRFD