Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1718 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
You have to work your eight hours but it is best to finish your admail section and all your scannable before you come back. Supervisors get really pissed if you don't because the big bosses want those done and nondelivered scannable looks bad on them. If those are done they generally don't give you a hard time.

I find our ice cleats to be pretty good but aren't perfect you had to judge the surface before you proceed. Remember if a driveway is icey or snow isn't clear cut it off. Make a note on the letter that driveway isn't clear and the date if you have to. The head light, on the other hand, is a complete joke it will help you kind of to read the mail but to properly illuminate your surrounding it doesn't help at all. Weather is starting to get more difficult. If in doubt put your health first and just quote that whenever supervisor gives you trouble.

So who's working parcels on Monday on OT?
Apr 30, 2015
631 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
You are responsible for your own health and safety, your supervisor doesn't give a shit about it. If it's too dark and you're exhausted and you're working past 8 hours, bring it back. And tell your supervisor to go out and deliver it if they have a problem with that.
Apr 30, 2015
631 posts
413 upvotes
York, ON
Counut wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 12:58 pm
Anyone know when I can expect my first pay? I did a week of training on the week of Oct 23. And did some work the next week and on. When I log into SAP, under pay and compensation, it doesn't show any payroll
First pay is at least 3 weeks behind. You'll probably get a payment notification tonight for deposit on thursday. If not it might be the next cycle.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1137 posts
179 upvotes
Oshawa
Postiegal wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 1:33 pm
Get in touch with your supervisor. They will submit your info (training and any on the street time) if not, you’ll likely never get paid. Always keep track of your own hours and OT as they don’t automatically enter that either. Always check your payments/hours for discrepancies
I can’t stress this point enough. My top priority, after completing my shift is verifying my hours have been input correctly. If your hours have not been entered the following day by 5pm I would certainly follow up to ensure proper payment.
Apr 7, 2013
245 posts
79 upvotes
LONDON
tarjet wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 3:24 pm
You are responsible for your own health and safety, your supervisor doesn't give a shit about it. If it's too dark and you're exhausted and you're working past 8 hours, bring it back. And tell your supervisor to go out and deliver it if they have a problem with that.
Yep, Friday with snow, ice and leaves covering the ice was definitely treacherous - no chance I'm delivering a foot walk after dark in these conditions! I only deliver parcels after dark which is a joke in itself - since most house numbers are not illuminated it takes much longer to find the proper house - but if CP is dumb enough to pay me 3 hours for work that would take 2 during daylight then so be it!Heavy Exclamation Mark Symbol
Jan 24, 2016
4 posts
Vancouver, BC
Question for my fellow terms (or all y'all former terms): How do term letter carriers bid on unfilled vacancies?

I've been working for eight or nine months here on the west coast. I've been extended at a small depot since June, and will be there until at least Christmas. Get sent out to other depots lots, but that's the life of a term. So far I just work whatever they assign me, and there's never been a shortage of work. I understand that terms can bid on vacancies and such, but I have no idea how to do that. It would be nice to know what you're doing every day and to get to know your own walk; even if it's just for a few weeks...
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1718 posts
166 upvotes
Toronto
@helidaz Terms cannot bid on an open walk or position such as RLC at a depot. You can bump other terms of a walk but I think that's a bit foggy and can only do it if they are on long-term assignment by a carrier that is injured or absent for whatever reason. Sometimes as a term, you will cover an open walk but you don't own the walk. You can be bumped off the walk at any time by a permanent LC or if someone bids on it. Usually, those are bad walks or walks that just got posted anyways.

Your best bet to cover something long term it's best to ask staffing if there are any long-term vacancies you can hold. But you can't own anything in the official capacity.
Jun 11, 2012
100 posts
14 upvotes
Montreal
Any plant workers know how to get forklift (L7 L9) training? Been a term for 2 years now and ask supervisors every second week about it but still haven't been given the opportunity..
Nov 11, 2017
1 posts
Hey guys,

I recently became a temp LC as a means to avoid staying on poggy in the Winter. I have a 4 month job in the summer for another government agency which I get benefits and all that fun stuff. I was trying to find in the CC if I would be able to take a 4 month leave in the summers for my other job, however, as far as I could tell there is only a 3 month leave possible? Does anyone have any experience with taking more than 3 months off?
Apr 30, 2017
72 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
StergMTL wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:47 pm
Any plant workers know how to get forklift (L7 L9) training? Been a term for 2 years now and ask supervisors every second week about it but still haven't been given the opportunity..
Can you even get forklift training, if your not a PO5?
Apr 20, 2013
224 posts
92 upvotes
StergMTL wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:47 pm
I'd say keep bringing it up to all your sup's and suoerintendants at every available opportunity.

When I was hired as a casual, they didn't give Right Hand Drive training anymore. Every RHD assignment I took (which was quite frequently) somebody had to switch vehicles with me, and they were never happy about it. So I complained about my lack of RHD training to anyone who would listen.

It took 4 years, but I have a RHD VOP now. :)
Nov 12, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
captaincanuck9 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 8:45 pm
I got a job offer as a temporary seasonal on call Postal Clek at the Pacific Processing plant. I accepted the offer

It was a intersting process since I never got a face to face interview. I went straight for the security screening

I don't know what the training will be like? It will be 8 hrs long. What would you be doing for the training?

In terms of on call shift, do they call you? email? or text? to your cell phone or home number?
Fellow oncall PO4 here. I'm not sure what seasonal is going to be trained on, you're likely working at the dock sorting parcels, basically brainless manual labour. Regular gets 30 some hours training, I guess they shrink it down to 8 for seasonal, probably just going to be some health and safety and union bs.

They will tell you how you will be called, you will get a login to log onto SAP, there you can set up your call preference either by text or phone call (I'd recommend phone call, because you're going to be end up calling a number anyway) when you get a call, you enter your employee number and then they will give you a date and time, then you can either accept or decline.

Good luck.
Nov 7, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
leyland1989 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 1:14 am
Fellow oncall PO4 here. I'm not sure what seasonal is going to be trained on, you're likely working at the dock sorting parcels, basically brainless manual labour. Regular gets 30 some hours training, I guess they shrink it down to 8 for seasonal, probably just going to be some health and safety and union bs.

They will tell you how you will be called, you will get a login to log onto SAP, there you can set up your call preference either by text or phone call (I'd recommend phone call, because you're going to be end up calling a number anyway) when you get a call, you enter your employee number and then they will give you a date and time, then you can either accept or decline.

Good luck.
Do you know in advance will the call be made? If I miss the call do I just call the number enter the employee number and I know the time and date for each shift or multiple shift? How would a text be different?
Nov 12, 2017
5 posts
1 upvote
captaincanuck9 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 2:30 am
Do you know in advance will the call be made? If I miss the call do I just call the number enter the employee number and I know the time and date for each shift or multiple shift? How would a text be different?
From what I know, the text is basically telling you that you have an offer pending, ask you to call their eclipse number...

If you miss the call or you choose to be notified by text, you need to call the number and enter the employee number to accept/decline the offer within ~10-15 mins, or else it would considered a refusal.

I'm not sure how seasonal worker works, but I have a fixed schedule (Shift 1 00:00/02:00-06:00), eclipse would start calling at 12:00 noon during the day going by seniority, if I don't get a call by 12:30, I probably won't get called for the rest of the day.
Seasonal may have a more flexible schedule, I'm not too sure, ask your recruiter and read over your letter of offer again, if you questioned hasn't been answered on your training.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10424 posts
2111 upvotes
GTA
Uniondude wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:22 pm
It must be different at other depots. There is a misconception that LCA is appropriate for injured LCs. We do the most heavy lifting of anyone at our depot. (ie every single parcel, flyer bundle and LFT of mail goes through us). Including PO4s, we have about a dozen inside workers that start at 4am each day at my depot (both PT and FT). Parcel sorting, double x sorting, mail distribution, RPO scanning, flyer distribution to green bunkers, clearing end of aisle carts of RTS etc. If it’s slow, we may help collate flyers or sort routes. If it’s crazy and people call in, we may be asked to take out sections or do RPO drop offs (not obligatory, we can decline to take stuff out). Best part of the job is that our work is far less stressful and time sensitive than sorting and delivering a route. Worst part is being jet-lagged every day of my life, lol. I feel fortunate every day that I’m not on a route, I get paid the same hourly rate as an LC minus flyer money.
Similar duties at our place. To get a FT LCA position in our building, you have to have at least 20yrs, probably more. Definitely one of the more 'cushy' positions.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

Pjtipps, dataRFD