[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1013 posts
249 upvotes
Westside
CanadaProud wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 4:46 pm
they have a form you fill out and I think LC temp qualify for 4 positions..FT/PT-LC and FT-PT PO4...so you can basically bid for 4 positions it is a transfer form so would be same form you would use to transfer to another city/depot the Super needs to sign it then they ship it off and you will get a copy sent back to you in the mail....at least that is what I had to do..not sure how far I am from a Perm spot my depot seems to be 1-2 years....of course I am hoping there are more FT/pt positions after contract but not getting my hopes up...I would be happy with a few guaranteed hours.
The correct form for temps to change positions LC > PO4 for example is not the transfer request but the temp request to change call lists form. They are completely different and you don't receive a copy of the change of call lists so it's best to confirm with PC&R to make sure they received it and that you're on the list for training.

You guys should be contacting your local with any questions. That's why you're paying them $80/month in dues.
Dec 4, 2005
133 posts
37 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Question for anyone who's been a temporary on-call Christmas season Postal Clerk:

Are you expected to accept at least 50% of shifts offered to you, or be available to work all the time?

I ask because I'm can only work 3 days a week because of another job that it's hard to get out of right now due to a sick leave.

Thanks for any advice offered.
Oct 3, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
donnatella wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 11:54 am
Question for anyone who's been a temporary on-call Christmas season Postal Clerk:

Are you expected to accept at least 50% of shifts offered to you, or be available to work all the time?

I ask because I'm can only work 3 days a week because of another job that it's hard to get out of right now due to a sick leave.

Thanks for any advice offered.
hi..expect that you'll be working daily until mid of January, if u can only work 3x a week please inform your supervisor right away..
Nov 7, 2017
8 posts
1 upvote
zimplizty wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 2:22 pm
hi..expect that you'll be working daily until mid of January, if u can only work 3x a week please inform your supervisor right away..
So if you can't make it one day because I am doing in person PSEE 371 that should be alright? I guess I will tell supervisor on the first day. So I should expect a call every day? how many time can you reject?
Jan 5, 2014
162 posts
160 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Koolob1 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 7:37 pm
If your end goal is to get FT: always fill FT as your top choice, then PT. Because if you get PT (i.e. your second choice) then your top choice of FT is still pending & valid in the system. Otherwise, you have to fill out & mail another request form.
Not quite true. If you put FT as your first choice you may not get permanent status as they hire from the part-time list first. If that fulfills the full-time positions they wouldn't hire directly from term to full-time. They would then replenish the part-time list and again the next time a full-time position comes up they pull from the part-timers. If your goal is to get permanent status as a letter carrier the fastest way is to put part-time letter carrier first full-time letter carrier second. I went through this very scenario and by past a few people. But to each their own...

At least this is the case in a major city. Not sure how the smaller cities work
Apr 30, 2015
627 posts
409 upvotes
York, ON
Slotstuffer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:04 pm
Not quite true. If you put FT as your first choice you may not get permanent status as they hire from the part-time list first. If that fulfills the full-time positions they wouldn't hire directly from term to full-time. They would then replenish the part-time list and again the next time a full-time position comes up they pull from the part-timers. If your goal is to get permanent status as a letter carrier the fastest way is to put part-time letter carrier first full-time letter carrier second. I went through this very scenario and by past a few people. But to each their own...

I'm very confused at to why this worked for you because once you get your number 1 choice anything under it drops off. The order is a preference, you don't get something quicker by putting it at 1 instead of 2 or 3. Don't do this if you want full time!!! Put your first choice first.
Aug 12, 2017
55 posts
14 upvotes
well just worked my first solo shift....what a friggin disaster...oh well 12 hours off the old probation count....side note in smaller depots your supervisors go home at 4pm.....so 8 hours of fun things like batteries dying on scanner mid RPO delivery....brought back a lot of mail but a few sick calls had me doing the worst route by far....oh and no maps....3 times I asked...no maps told me to use my phones GPS I asked them what GPS has SLB's located on them....oh well day 2 tomorrow...(side note if you are stuck out there for 12 hours do you guys take breaks?..if it helps I am a MLC with mostly CMB's)
May 2, 2012
576 posts
205 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
CanadaProud wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:50 pm
well just worked my first solo shift....what a friggin disaster...oh well 12 hours off the old probation count....side note in smaller depots your supervisors go home at 4pm.....so 8 hours of fun things like batteries dying on scanner mid RPO delivery....brought back a lot of mail but a few sick calls had me doing the worst route by far....oh and no maps....3 times I asked...no maps told me to use my phones GPS I asked them what GPS has SLB's located on them....oh well day 2 tomorrow...(side note if you are stuck out there for 12 hours do you guys take breaks?..if it helps I am a MLC with mostly CMB's)
If I’m out for 12 hours, not only take breaks, I’ll stop for a nice dinner paid for by the mismanagement of CPC.
Apr 30, 2015
627 posts
409 upvotes
York, ON
CanadaProud wrote:
welcome to the most useless management team ever. Yes I always take breaks. It was really hard to force myself to do that when I first started because I felt so overwhelmed with everything I had to do, but eventually, I just learned to ignore it.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1717 posts
165 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaProud wrote:
wtf don't leave without a map sit there and wait for them to print it off and also ask for a colour one to know your admail delivery. That's a really stupid supervisor not giving you a map. CPC doesn't pay your cellphone bill if your supervisor tells you use your cellphone tell them you that. But by all means use it while you work. 12 hours take breaks but you only get 8 counting towards your probation. OT doesn't count towards it.
Aug 12, 2017
55 posts
14 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 10:00 pm
welcome to the most useless management team ever. Yes I always take breaks. It was really hard to force myself to do that when I first started because I felt so overwhelmed with everything I had to do, but eventually, I just learned to ignore it.
bright side is I don't ever recall hours flying by that fast in any other job I have worked...I mean seriously everytime I had a chance to take a peak at the time it was insane.
Dec 13, 2016
100 posts
7 upvotes
CanadaProud wrote:
Didn't you have a headerboard even? The SLB address should be on there. There is no way in hell I'm going out without a headerboard.

I still haven't done a full route. I definitlely could have last week (after a few days on the same route - i had the sort and two sections done in 5 1/2 hours) but it's pretty cool they are bringing us on slow.
Last edited by jmomccxx on Nov 14th, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 16, 2017
155 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
CanadaProud wrote:
Don't work in the dark even you're a MLC with CMB. Your safety is first and most important!
Tell your stupidvisor tomorrow morning that you're still new, Day 2 exactly going solo and took you 12 hrs yesterday. He/she has to take some of your route off and don't be afraid to bring back mail after 8hrs.

If your stupidvisor starts complaining about anything, bring shop steward or at least a witness and take notes what they say to you.
I can't stand that shit by stupidvisors anymore, they can say whatever they want but not really care anymore.
Make sure submit OT and get paid.
Hours you worked must be paid!!!

Good luck tomorrow, I know it's hard but most of us here had to go through with this...
Sep 6, 2015
56 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
Slotstuffer wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 7:04 pm

Not sure where you heard that from, but lets say I only put one choice - FT LC (employee ID 101). And another guy puts FT LC as his 1st and PT LC as his 2nd but his employee ID is 102.

2 weeks later, employee 102 gets offer for PT, meanwhile employee 101 is still a term.

When a FT position becomes available, who do you think will get the FT position first, 101 or 102?
Jul 6, 2017
28 posts
17 upvotes
x100! Don't put up with any shit.
We have paid breaks and we earn them!
It's the company's responsibility to provide you with all the tools you need to do the job successfully. IF they don't provide the tools like map/header board and you choose to attempt delivery, note it on your 15.08 that it took longer without these items.
If they expect us to navigate with GPS then they can provide it. I don't even own a cell phone so it's pretty funny when they try and tell me to use my phone! (It's also totally hilarious when I get home to find messages on my answering machine from a super asking me a question about a scan or something!)
IF you don't want to work OT you don't have to. Every day I tell my supervisor I think I might go over, even if it's not likely. Cover your ass is the name of the game at CP!