Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
OT is paid automatically to each cheque unless you set it to be banked in Intrapost / selfserve. I haven't gone in Intrapost for months but I guess you could fumble around in there to see if there's an option to view your set options. I'm not sure if it'll just accrue forever or if they force it out on each fiscal year. Personally I prefer to get the interest on that money instead of letting CP claim it. I did do a bulk cashout once when I was a term (I'd opted to save it) and I lost a ton to taxes when I cashed out the couple thousand I'd built up.

edit: IMO it makes sense to bank it as a term either as forced savings or to use for your "vacation" (if you ever get one approved). Once you're FT I wouldn't trust payroll to do anything right so I go with biweekly payouts and verify EVERYTHING. Several times a year I'm having to sit down with our staffer and fight for OT hours worked that I wasn't paid for.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
mikebc wrote: OT is paid automatically to each cheque unless you set it to be banked in Intrapost / selfserve. I haven't gone in Intrapost for months but I guess you could fumble around in there to see if there's an option to view your set options. I'm not sure if it'll just accrue forever or if they force it out on each fiscal year. Personally I prefer to get the interest on that money instead of letting CP claim it. I did do a bulk cashout once when I was a term (I'd opted to save it) and I lost a ton to taxes when I cashed out the couple thousand I'd built up.

edit: IMO it makes sense to bank it as a term either as forced savings or to use for your "vacation" (if you ever get one approved). Once you're FT I wouldn't trust payroll to do anything right so I go with biweekly payouts and verify EVERYTHING. Several times a year I'm having to sit down with our staffer and fight for OT hours worked that I wasn't paid for.
I don't think you really lose that in taxes.. or at least you get it back the next year in your tax refund.

I opted to save comp time because im low on personal days.. however, now i have way too much on there. I'd rather pay it out in march than now, though.

That's a good point about verification of OT. I should start being more careful about that. I keep a record but I haven't really done anything but eyeball if it looks right.
Apr 24, 2018
114 posts
82 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote: The gas cards are assigned to each walk... well, that’s how it should be. At my Depot, recently they bought in brand new cards, but just like the old ones they keep on disappearing, and Sups just say to pick any card and fill it up. I really hope they are investigating what’s happening to the lost cards, but it seems like they don’t care.
trucks are assigned to each walk gas cards are assigned to the truck. fleet operations will be involved, pass the information to the local manager, it is up to the manager to deal with the information. sadly you are right more time than not no one cares, just like the security of the keys.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
SpeedyLC wrote: The gas cards are assigned to each walk... well, that’s how it should be. At my Depot, recently they bought in brand new cards, but just like the old ones they keep on disappearing, and Sups just say to pick any card and fill it up. I really hope they are investigating what’s happening to the lost cards, but it seems like they don’t care.
A few missing gas cards, that's it? The clowns at our depot lost a transit, never to be found :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 11, 2016
365 posts
327 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote: A few missing gas cards, that's it? The clowns at our depot lost a transit, never to be found :)
LOL. When I got my 'new' Transit in 2013, it was already abused and had 2000KM on it. I got a hand me down/station transfer for a step van. Perhaps the one you speak of Hugh...lol.
RFD4LF. 😎
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
Has arbitration started yet?
When can we expect to hear any news or result?
The end of January? Next year ?
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
leyland1989 wrote: Has arbitration started yet?
If it was up to Cupw crap we'd still be having rotating strikes. We have the power!!!!- the power to lose $ for its members--lots of money.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I got my biggest paycheque ever from all the OT handed out in December which I blew almost entirely on Black Friday and Boxing Week shopping. If we were still on "strike" I'd be looking at a ruined Christmas. Part of a healthy economy is people making money and people spending money, whether you're communist or capitalist.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote: I got my biggest paycheque ever from all the OT handed out in December which I blew almost entirely on Black Friday and Boxing Week shopping. If we were still on "strike" I'd be looking at a ruined Christmas. Part of a healthy economy is people making money and people spending money, whether you're communist or capitalist.
same here, paid over $1000 in taxes as well!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
leyland1989 wrote: Has arbitration started yet?
I hope to have a payout sometime before the next round of negotiations start. If it were up to the two clowns negotiating in the big tent, they would probably be in arbitration for 10 years as well.... Thankfully, the Liberals put in a 3 month max time frame for the arbitrator to decide. Payout from the decision.......who the hell knows..... grrrrrrrrrrr.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Anyone still getting weekend delivery? Boxing Day volume seemed non-existent this year.
Oct 28, 2018
3 posts
A customer told me don't bring flyers here and gave dirty looks in the process. I'll honor that request, but should I cut off all her mail for a few weeks? Maybe she won't miss any important letters either.
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
2techs wrote: A customer told me don't bring flyers here and gave dirty looks in the process. I'll honor that request, but should I cut off all her mail for a few weeks? Maybe she won't miss any important letters either.
Ooh, a dirty look. Are you ok? Maybe you should take some time off for such trauma.
Act like a professional and do your job.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Just tell them you require posted notice on her mailbox and leave it at that. I tend to give out way more dirty looks than I receive so the universe's entropy is bound to throw some my way from time to time.
Oct 28, 2018
3 posts
mikebc wrote: Just tell them you require posted notice on her mailbox and leave it at that. I tend to give out way more dirty looks than I receive so the universe's entropy is bound to throw some my way from time to time.
my response was an irrelevant "are you having a bad day." I'll be more professional next time.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
2techs wrote: A customer told me don't bring flyers here and gave dirty looks in the process. I'll honor that request, but should I cut off all her mail for a few weeks? Maybe she won't miss any important letters either.
you can't honor her request because it can't be a verbal request. She has to put a "no flyers" notice on her mailbox or your supervisor will write you up for not delivering flyers. Which essentially means that you will probably still be giving her flyers as I find that miserable people are generally great at giving out shit to everybody else, but no so great at being dealing with their end of the responsibility......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 12, 2011
745 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
timetotellthetruth wrote: you can't honor her request because it can't be a verbal request. She has to put a "no flyers" notice on her mailbox or your supervisor will write you up for not delivering flyers. Which essentially means that you will probably still be giving her flyers as I find that miserable people are generally great at giving out shit to everybody else, but no so great at being dealing with their end of the responsibility......
I had an angry-face customer tell me 'I don't want flyers', I told them nice and professional that they must put a 'no flyers' sign on their mailbox, and they were livid. 'The sign looks tacky. I am telling you I don't want flyers, so why do I have to put a sign up?' was her response. I explained that it is simply canada post policy, and then a few days later a piece of paper was taped to the mailbox saying "NO FLYERS!!!"

Funny thing is, after a few days the taped paper was already falling off, and as soon as the sign fell off I put a set of 7-8 flyers into the mailbox. Canada Post policy for the win.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
I thought the procedure was inform your supervisor and they will give you a red dot to put on the mailbox or slot..
If someone gets really pissy with me I let them know they have to call customer service to arrange it.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Policy is to update your logbook to reflect that an address no longer wants flyers. After a few months it might actually get updated into AIM and you'll notice 1 less flyer count on your chit. More often than not it never updates and you're stuck with an extra flyer (or ten) in each new set. There are tricks to getting rid of these leftovers obviously, but you need to be careful how you handle them. Of course you can also report your overages in your PDT and risk bringing the Eye of Sauron down on you.

I do verbal requests all the time if it's a CMB but if it's door-to-door I'll just be honest and tell them I can't remember it if they don't leave a note. For houses with lots of stairs or who rarely get mail I'll subtly hint that they can cancel flyers if they want, it works quite often!
Last edited by mikebc on Jan 3rd, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2011
745 posts
651 upvotes
Etobicoke
VanMailMan wrote: I thought the procedure was inform your supervisor and they will give you a red dot to put on the mailbox or slot..
If someone gets really pissy with me I let them know they have to call customer service to arrange it.
I was told that the 'red dot' sticker was only for CMB/condo slots, and any residential mailbox needs a sign saying 'no admail/junk/flyers/etc'.
You inform your supervisor by updating the edit book, which is supposed to be checked weekly by supervisors... like that ever happens. We get our books updated every 2 months maybe?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)