Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
stalbert1 wrote: Union will gleefully endorse the extra dues.plus it'll reduce the latest union buzzword - overburdening.

Interesting will be the result of the health and safety issue that the union keeps pushing. After walking on ice all week the solution is obviously CMBs.
What the health and safety issue that the union created with increased flyer sizes and less time to deliver and no resolve on double bundle?
If the union wasn’t so busy focusing on postal bankIng, world issues and hybrid vehicles and unfairly representing urban...more attention would have been focused on route restructures with parcel volume increases and fighting for a WAGE INCREASE like every other union does
Now they have a few people doing maps and charts showing where and when the accidents happen..lol
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Progatron wrote: I notice one of the corp's demands is weekend parcel delivery. What, year round?
We have terms that work Friday to Monday in our depot, mostly doing parcels, but sometimes they'll do mail if we're down a lot of bodies. Have been doing that for 18 months or so.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 19, 2004
745 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
Progatron wrote: I notice one of the corp's demands is weekend parcel delivery. What, year round?
while I think it's better to create a part time position from saturday to monday with weekend premium. sound fair?
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote: We have terms that work Friday to Monday in our depot, mostly doing parcels, but sometimes they'll do mail if we're down a lot of bodies. Have been doing that for 18 months or so.
But that's not delivering, is it? I'm in the GTA and have never had parcel delivery on the weekends outside of December.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Progatron wrote: But that's not delivering, is it?
Yes, they deliver parcels on weekends.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Typically not residential delivery, just MSC business drop offs and clearances though.

Imagine how the count numbers would look if you never had Monday volumes to boost your numbers. Every route would now have Monday volumes every day, especially if night sorting comes in.

Like all things, if the Corp wants to push it through they will. Maybe we'll win a grievance in 5 years.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
mikebc wrote: Typically not residential delivery, just MSC business drop offs and clearances though.

Not sure who you're replying to. But our guys pretty much only do residential, as most businesses are closed on weekends. Our station is mostly businesses and apts in a smaller concentrated area ( downtown Toronto), so the amount of parcels we get is insane, hence why we get the "help".

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
stalbert1 wrote: plus it'll reduce the latest union buzzword - overburdening.
Overburdening is a REAL issue. Just because you haven't experienced it personally doesn't mean it's not happening.

I've covered more than a few routes that are impossible to deliver by the header because the amount of mail and flyers makes the bundles too large and heavy to carry at once. Yes, if you know the route or are experienced enough you can break the loops up to carry less but that takes more time and technically you may not be following the line of travel.

I'm glad the union recognizes this and is trying to address it.
Nov 20, 2004
837 posts
1203 upvotes
Vancouver
mikebc wrote: Put in several small orders instead of 1 big one. If your order has an out of stock item they may hold the whole shipment. Shipping is free so abuse it.
Learned this the hard way. Put my order in late Nov and still waiting. They were nice enough to ship the free cleats tho. =/
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
I had my cleats on top of my winter boots yesterday and had a good tumble. I am normally sure-footed but I went to step down on some snow to get around a pickup truck on a driveway but it was a sheet of ice under that snow. I went down and my head missed the bumper of the pickup by a couple of inches. I know this because I saw the bumper go right by my eyes before I hit the driveway.

I consider myself lucky, it could have been worse. It's crazy how many people don't care about clearing ice or snow from their driveways and sidewalks.....let alone their front steps.

Next week is looking like more snow, and more frigid temps. Us terms should see some hours.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote: Sarcasm my friend.
yah, but realize that your post can be picked up and reposted entirely out of context as a statement of fact - public perception is bad enough as it is
dont aid our enemy
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
Is it true that Cpc now has pension change as one of their demands going to arbitration
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
agree especially with unfair routes
- our depot is cmb route...I have 300 businesses, mostly strip mall type walking door to door,,shopping mall and a few with business panel boxes and lots of drive by door to door with transat and 400 houses with cmbs and 2 flips on the case...I fly out there...I have a morning rpo clearance as well....I am on wave one....the guy next to me tells me his walk is a joke..meaning easy....he is on 2nd wave....he has one flip..he starts later than me...leaves earlier than me and comes back before me....but he has to wait because he has a 5pm shoppers drugmart rpo clearance..same rpo clearance I do in the morning....what really bugs me....shoppers drugmart called in if they can have a 2.30 clearance,,,,so instead of putting that clearnce on the 2nd wave where the 2nd wave guy has a few hours to kill til his 5pm clearance they put the 2.30 clearance on my route.....which basically killed any chance of a break during the day...really fair routes..
KaleMerrier wrote: What about the people with unfair routes? Or terms? I guess the majority of LCs finish with tons of time to spare, in which case they probably are just lazy.

But for me as a term I'm often facing a new route with 60+ parcels, 30 clearances, a pick up or two, a giant flyer cut and a nonsense route sheet to follow. Plus if it's wave 2 I can't even really do overtime effectively since I have to make it back in time to catch the truck at 6:30 and after that there's almost no point in going back out in the dark exhausted just to return 30 mins later.

So I'm basically forced to take every shortcut that I won't get in trouble for. I'm not a complete ******* though, I deliver everybody's parcels that they're no doubt waiting excitedly for. But if it's just a speeding ticket or letter and it's not on my way or down the street I card it.

Lots of terms and new RCLs I know are in the same predicament. Not even complaining, I show up every day and love it. Just seems like somethings a little bit messed up in the system when the routes that they specifically designed to be 8 hours with breaks is impossible to do following the stupid path that they created.

And they obviously know that too because you don't actually get disciplined when customers complain about our customer service. I genuinely wish I had time to go above and beyond because I enjoy doing it.

In an ideal world CP would just relax a little on the workload or change the time values or whatever and then actually FORCE proper service procedures.
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
mikebc wrote: I do know that Amazon would give us their Prime contracts in smaller towns if we did 7 day a week delivery.
As if our profit margin isn't thin enough for rural delivery?

Most rural deliveries are public services which no private companies are willing to do at an affordable price.
Canada Post does it only because they are obligated to and have the infrastructures to do so.

For example, sending a 2 kg parcel to an X0A code cost only $32 by expresspost and it's going to cost over $100 by FedEx Ground.

Amazon has already largely withdrawn their contract in cities, they can do it themselves for much cheaper than we can by exploiting cheap labour.
I used to see Amazon stuff going though the plant like crazy just a year ago,
now they are almost all gone except the smaller packets but our rural section is still being flooded by Amazon boxes every day.

I don't think we can make a lot of money out of that.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
I'd estimate that 25-35% of my daily parcels are Amazon.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
We have an agreement that we take x% of Amazon's volume regardless of the actual number. If things are going slow I assume they can boost that percentage with one phone call. Thats why it's laughable when you see people say "my small business is dropping CP because of the strike".

In Metro Van our percentage is 35%. For rural areas it's probably 100% but they don't offer Prime/next day shipping there so weekend delivery wouldn't matter. I doubt they'd trial it in rural or PO serviced areas where it can't be justified.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
To improve health and safety for CP LC employees I would agree with conversion to CMBs. This would allow CP workers to avoid slip and falls in the winter months, and the wear and tear that walking around with full satchels and constant step climbing can bring to your body. It seems that CPs solution of CMB conversion was the right solution for LCs! Unfortunately the union rejects this solution and keeps on complaining that CP doesn’t care about health and safety and that it is because of CP that LC keep on getting injured....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I've always been in favour of dropping parcel lockers into cul-de-sacs that have door to door. Logistically you'd lose a ton of keys but it'd be a good lead in to people getting converted. Plus once they get converted you could just leave them there and make a full slot CMB without parcel compartments.

Most superbank CMBs and apartments could use a parcel locker anyway, they should push that through asap.
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
VanMailMan wrote: I'd estimate that 25-35% of my daily parcels are Amazon.
mikebc wrote: We have an agreement that we take x% of Amazon's volume regardless of the actual number. If things are going slow I assume they can boost that percentage with one phone call. Thats why it's laughable when you see people say "my small business is dropping CP because of the strike".

In Metro Van our percentage is 35%. For rural areas it's probably 100% but they don't offer Prime/next day shipping there so weekend delivery wouldn't matter. I doubt they'd trial it in rural or PO serviced areas where it can't be justified.
I assume Amazon are more aggressive on the East coast then.
I remember seeing significantly more Amazon parcels going through the sorting plant, I can hardly see one except those going to rural code or the AO sized ones.

I think Sephora is doing the same as well, I haven't seen them for a while, at least not at the frequency it used to be.

When I order from Amazon now, they only use Canada Post when it's delivered to a PO box.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote: I had my cleats on top of my winter boots yesterday and had a good tumble. I am normally sure-footed but I went to step down on some snow to get around a pickup truck on a driveway but it was a sheet of ice under that snow. I went down and my head missed the bumper of the pickup by a couple of inches. I know this because I saw the bumper go right by my eyes before I hit the driveway.

I consider myself lucky, it could have been worse. It's crazy how many people don't care about clearing ice or snow from their driveways and sidewalks.....let alone their front steps.

Next week is looking like more snow, and more frigid temps. Us terms should see some hours.
I don’t wear the cleats anymore. I never found they provided much assistance and they’re not designed to be worn all day (as per Physician, Podiatrist, Physio). I wore them for a couple weeks straight after an ice storm and strained a couple ligaments in my knee as a result. I keep them with me in case anyone audits my PPE, but otherwise I don’t wear them. If it’s icy enough to wear cleats, I cut off delivery.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

tarjet