Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 19, 2017
10 posts
17 upvotes
bigbluesky wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:03 pm
Hell, I have to file a grievance because these idiots keep moving the goalposts about what constitutes my annual pay increase. A calendar year doesn't seem to cut it.
You mean our annual pay increase to be effective only on our next full pay cycle & not on our actual hire date (i.e. Date became permanent) correct? You can grieve it? HR just tells me it's stipulated in our contract so....nothing we can do about it. Should I grieve it as well? My shop steward did not press this issue when I told him what the HR told me.
Mar 14, 2015
235 posts
147 upvotes
Koolob1 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:05 pm
You mean our annual pay increase to be effective only on our next full pay cycle & not on our actual hire date (i.e. Date became permanent) correct? You can grieve it? HR just tells me it's stipulated in our contract so....nothing we can do about it. Should I grieve it as well? My shop steward did not press this issue when I told him what the HR told me.
No, they consider "promotion date" you received a relief position to be the new anniversary date. That means you will not get the first year increase until the following year, as the clock has started again, in their minds.
Jul 6, 2017
32 posts
20 upvotes
Slotstuffer wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 6:34 pm
Just wanted to say thanks for the awesome shelves in my transit, I didn't want to put parcels in there anyway.
I particularly enjoy how they block the lights when they're folded up!
I didn't want to be able to read the address labels in the dark anyway...
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1350 posts
78 upvotes
richmondhill
curious if everyone is getting pounded with pacekets -parcels last few weeks...poor guy next to me ..we are an all cmb depot and remember we had our volume count a few years ago in the summer..so we got snubbed large..as we went from 20 routes to 9 routes ...guy who works next to me who has an all resential walk 1000 poc had 260 scannables yesterday and hammered again today with 160 scannables. imagine if did not come in on sundays would have had 420 scannables...so he worked 10 and a half hours overtime on sunday ....curious has anyone ever had 500 scannables in one day...crazy...

- myself also last few sundays have been coming in just to do parcels on my own walk so I can get a head start for Monday as I have to pick up my son after school daily...would rather not come in on sunday..but parcels are way out of hand
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 4:13 pm
curious if everyone is getting pounded with pacekets -parcels last few weeks...poor guy next to me ..we are an all cmb depot and remember we had our volume count a few years ago in the summer..so we got snubbed large..as we went from 20 routes to 9 routes ...guy who works next to me who has an all resential walk 1000 poc had 260 scannables yesterday and hammered again today with 160 scannables. imagine if did not come in on sundays would have had 420 scannables...so he worked 10 and a half hours overtime on sunday ....curious has anyone ever had 500 scannables in one day...crazy...
Parcels are up by at least 50% this year and it's only going to grow. Had 185 today myself, on a route that usually gets 60/70.
- myself also last few sundays have been coming in just to do parcels on my own walk so I can get a head start for Monday as I have to pick up my son after school daily...would rather not come in on sunday..but parcels are way out of hand
Without Sunday, we would be seriously screwed. And we all thought our double-time Sundays were gone :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 7, 2017
6 posts
Been 3 weeks now since I completed all my training and was officially added to the call list. I've yet to get a call. Apparently there is about 50 people on the list and i am very close to the bottom. What are my chances of getting calls?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1350 posts
78 upvotes
richmondhill
what city approx. are you
Eh2794 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:15 pm
Been 3 weeks now since I completed all my training and was officially added to the call list. I've yet to get a call. Apparently there is about 50 people on the list and i am very close to the bottom. What are my chances of getting calls?
Aug 12, 2017
74 posts
17 upvotes
wow really depot specific..I took about a month to get a call but now I am working every day plus OT and until today I was bottom senority...our depot is pulling temps from surrounding depots because we are so short of carriers. But some of those temps have yet to get a call from their depot...very strange..I mean crazy amount of parcels and today was insane amount of sorted mail...I had 5 full LT of sorted alone..mid-week last week I could condense to a single LT...not today..half my CMB's I couldn't even carry the sorted with one hand...hopefully it means tomorrow will be really light but who knows?
Nov 7, 2017
6 posts
CanadaProud wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:40 pm
wow really depot specific..I took about a month to get a call but now I am working every day plus OT and until today I was bottom senority...our depot is pulling temps from surrounding depots because we are so short of carriers. But some of those temps have yet to get a call from their depot...very strange..I mean crazy amount of parcels and today was insane amount of sorted mail...I had 5 full LT of sorted alone..mid-week last week I could condense to a single LT...not today..half my CMB's I couldn't even carry the sorted with one hand...hopefully it means tomorrow will be really light but who knows?
I couldn't really be anymore specific then I was. St.Johns only has 1 depot it serves the surrounding metro area. That's why I'm wondering will I get calls I feel they hired to many people for the size of our operation but who knows I guess.
Nov 7, 2017
34 posts
1 upvote
since i am on call postal clerk relief i guess if they dont call they dont require you?
Sep 6, 2015
65 posts
5 upvotes
York, ON
Eh2794 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:21 pm
I couldn't really be anymore specific then I was. St.Johns only has 1 depot it serves the surrounding metro area. That's why I'm wondering will I get calls I feel they hired to many people for the size of our operation but who knows I guess.
You will still get a call regardless which depot you’re in. It’s the busiest time of the year and they need temps to help with parcel deliveries, RPO clearance and dispatches.

When I was hired, I was 497th on the temp list in the Toronto East/Central region according to the union rep.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
CanadaProud wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:40 pm
What do you mean by LT? Where are you btw?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1350 posts
78 upvotes
richmondhill
had someone on the route go to me today...with all those parcels everyone is getting these days, Your Bonus must be around $1000....I said we get nothing , than the person mentions Im Guessing Canada Post Throws You Guys a Nice Christmas Party..again a Big No ...than he Mentions Atleast Canada Post has a Christmas Party for the Kids,,,,again a Big No and he just Shook his head in Disbelief,,,its been years since even a Supervisor would come in the aisles and atleast say Merry Christmas
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 3:44 pm
had someone on the route go to me today...with all those parcels everyone is getting these days, Your Bonus must be around $1000....I said we get nothing , than the person mentions Im Guessing Canada Post Throws You Guys a Nice Christmas Party..again a Big No ...than he Mentions Atleast Canada Post has a Christmas Party for the Kids,,,,again a Big No and he just Shook his head in Disbelief,,,its been years since even a Supervisor would come in the aisles and atleast say Merry Christmas
You didn't tell him about the 15% off coupons for stores-you've-never-heard-of you received in the mail??? :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 0 guests)

jmomccxx, YoungPostiefrom92, brian6d, leyland1989, Hehateme34