Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
airmail wrote: Is it true that Cpc now has pension change as one of their demands going to arbitration
This is from the last bulletin:

“Pension Plan (Union and Employer Demands)”

This could mean any number of things, but I imagine it is to do with the solvency deficit measure.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
Man, looks like a hell day out there for you guys in the GTA. Loads of snow, frigid temps, and a Monday to boot. Ugh... stay safe and warm!
Jan 5, 2014
289 posts
327 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
I second the Ice Cleats are not good for your legs comment. Stopped wearing those years ago... more dangerous than they seem.
Oct 24, 2018
20 posts
19 upvotes
Ice cleats have been pretty well mandatory since early November. They check on the way out and on route. Haven’t seen asphalt for two months on most of my route. Great to get out of them at the end of the day.
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Mailmanwill wrote: Ice cleats have been pretty well mandatory since early November. They check on the way out and on route. Haven’t seen asphalt for two months on most of my route. Great to get out of them at the end of the day.
I understand the motive behind it and I think it’s with good intentions. If I was ever in a situation where I was, “forced” to work with them on, I would request a written directive. I’ve already been through the negative effects and to me, I’m being directed to do something I know is unsafe. Sure, I could slip on ice, or snow, but there are steps I can take to prevent that outside of wearing a device that has proven itself to be unsafe (for me anyway). It’s not that I’m combative and defensive of following direction (see reflective vest), I just won’t do something that I know will, or will likely injure me (see dog spray).
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Mailmanwill wrote: Ice cleats have been pretty well mandatory since early November. They check on the way out and on route. Haven’t seen asphalt for two months on most of my route. Great to get out of them at the end of the day.
Last 5 days I've worn them. No choice too Icy and hazardous without them on my route.

Been a good winter here so I won't complain.
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
You guys are definitely earning your pay. I've been in short sleeves and shorts all winter and only need a coat when it rains. Today was 8° and sunny.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
biggerthanfun wrote: You guys are definitely earning your pay. I've been in short sleeves and shorts all winter and only need a coat when it rains. Today was 8° and sunny.
You're meanSmirking Face
Jan 13, 2013
940 posts
691 upvotes
Vancouver
stalbert1 wrote: You're meanSmirking Face
Sorry. I'd recommend moving here but this comfort comes at the price of an outrageous cost of living. You can rub it in when you pay off your mortgage twice as fast as me.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Our zone manager has recommended we DON'T wear cleats.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
if transferring to a different zone..
and want wave one...
looking at gta west depot 3 or 4 or Brampton hale or vankirk or Georgetown..
have 26 yrs in ..should be able to get a decent wave one route I hope..
- so before checking out these depots..thinking..what time is start time for wave one,,,,
maybe check if depot is all walking depot...maybe check if walks have rpo clearance to do..
what else should I be checking in, when going to a new depot
thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: if transferring to a different zone..
and want wave one...
looking at gta west depot 3 or 4 or Brampton hale or vankirk or Georgetown..
have 26 yrs in ..should be able to get a decent wave one route I hope..
- so before checking out these depots..thinking..what time is start time for wave one,,,,
maybe check if depot is all walking depot...maybe check if walks have rpo clearance to do..
what else should I be checking in, when going to a new depot
thanks
FYI Depot 3 will be going SSD in the summer. F that.

Check parking, some depots lost all their staff parking when the transits were brought in for pt.

Try to find out who's retiring soon, more than likely they've a good walk.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
Hugh Jass wrote: Our zone manager has recommended we DON'T wear cleats.
that guy is a moron though
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
IMO chasing senior routes at canada post is a fools errand. You'll be moving around every year because they don't last long. All the walks are basically garbage now. You might find one and then the station will just be restructured in the next year.

Better to work in a station with coworkers you like delivering in an area you like.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote: that guy is a moron though
You couldn't be more right. He's hated by everyone, even supervisors lol, so many of them bid out coz of him.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
Every time I ask one of my Sups for hand warmers he starts saying things like “stop being a wimp” or “again?” Or “come on it’s not that cold”.... he always says it smiling but it almost seems like he doesn’t want to give out hand warmers, or as if he pays hand warmers out of his pocket.... it’s just weird, but I always tell him to go outside and deliver without hand warmers.
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
great tips to check out when looking at new depot..curious what does SSD mean
thanks
Hugh Jass wrote: FYI Depot 3 will be going SSD in the summer. F that.

Check parking, some depots lost all their staff parking when the transits were brought in for pt.

Try to find out who's retiring soon, more than likely they've a good walk.
Nov 10, 2018
7 posts
4 upvotes
Speaking of hand warmers... Any tips for keeping hands and feet from not freezing? I'm a bit more prone to the extremities freezing up then other people I think.

So far I just make do with dollar store gloves and - 30 winter hiking boots, I just chuck the warmers in both after an hour outside. Is it worth it to buy expensive gloves from MEC or some place like that? I'm afraid they'll be too restrictive or fall apart quickly so I haven't tried yet.

If I'm walking I'm good. But when I do the boxes I get F'ed up haha.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

OverallEffective