1014 upvotes
York, ON
layer thin gloves under your normal ones
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1117 posts
1014 upvotes
York, ON
SpeedyLC wrote: Every time I ask one of my Sups for hand warmers he starts saying things like “stop being a wimp” or “again?” Or “come on it’s not that cold”.... he always says it smiling but it almost seems like he doesn’t want to give out hand warmers, or as if he pays hand warmers out of his pocket.... it’s just weird, but I always tell him to go outside and deliver without hand warmers.
when you see him, start saying "sitting on your ass again, huh?"
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
tarjet wrote: when you see him, start saying "sitting on your ass again, huh?"
But make sure you're smiling when you say it. ;)
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
KaleMerrier wrote: Speaking of hand warmers... Any tips for keeping hands and feet from not freezing? I'm a bit more prone to the extremities freezing up then other people I think.

So far I just make do with dollar store gloves and - 30 winter hiking boots, I just chuck the warmers in both after an hour outside. Is it worth it to buy expensive gloves from MEC or some place like that? I'm afraid they'll be too restrictive or fall apart quickly so I haven't tried yet.

If I'm walking I'm good. But when I do the boxes I get F'ed up haha.
I use Merrell snowflake rated boots (purchased from Marks) and my feet actually are sweaty at the end of the day, and that is just with cotton socks. As far as hands go, I went and bought a pair of insulated work gloves with a rubberized material on the hands from Marks for like $20. Truth be told, once your hands are either damp from sweating or coming into contact with snow, they get cold quick. I went back to my Kombi ski gloves, which I thought would be too bulky or cumbersome, and to my surprise, they work great and my hands remain warm all day long. Every once in a while, I may have to remove one when doing something on the PDT, but it's worth it to have toasty warms hands if you ask me.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6317 posts
3093 upvotes
Manitoba
Minus 46 today in Winnipeg and they still sent out the troops, while in northern Ontario at minus 21 no mail delivery
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
:( I feel for anyone back east etc. This can’t be easy. Using muscles your not use to as well. Trying to keep yourself from falling. Stay safe. Weather has been very nice in YVR for the past days.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Regarding gloves, I got these a few years ago and I love them for delivery.

https://www.amazon.ca/Carhartt-Mens-Fli ... 3590&psc=1

You put the mitten flaps down and just stick out one finger to flip with. The mittens fold up and magnet to the back of your hand. The thumb cap magnets up too. Relatively water resistant, pretty warm (not enough for -30, but -10 is fine).

Just size up if you order these. There are some cheaper Chinese ones probably made in the same factory but $25 for a Carhartt product was fine for me.

Then in cooler but not frozen temps I'll go down to a "glove liner" (just a thin nylon glove).
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: great tips to check out when looking at new depot..curious what does SSD mean
thanks
Night routers

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
I feel for the brothers and sisters working in places like Winnipeg. We faced -17 without windchill, and close to -30 with windchill today in Hamilton and all I can say was damn. When I first got out there, my fingers were numb and in pain IN MY GLOVES. Once the blood started flowing, they warmed up and went back to normal, and I wore a balaclava, but my face still hurts and my eyelashes and eyebrows literally were growing icicles. At one point, my right eye froze shut and I needed to remove my glove to place my warm hand over it to thaw it. As someone else mentioned it's all of the other muscles I am using to stabilize myself on hilly driveways and sidewalks. I need to invest in decent ski goggles.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote: I feel for the brothers and sisters working in places like Winnipeg. We faced -17 without windchill, and close to -30 with windchill today in Hamilton and all I can say was damn. When I first got out there, my fingers were numb and in pain IN MY GLOVES. Once the blood started flowing, they warmed up and went back to normal, and I wore a balaclava, but my face still hurts and my eyelashes and eyebrows literally were growing icicles. At one point, my right eye froze shut and I needed to remove my glove to place my warm hand over it to thaw it. As someone else mentioned it's all of the other muscles I am using to stabilize myself on hilly driveways and sidewalks. I need to invest in decent ski goggles.
Brutal today, winter long johns, heavy pants and my legs were still cold. Hands were ok, one heavy glove and one thinner glove with 2 warmers inside for flipping thru mail.

Colder tomorrow apparently.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Stay safe everyone. Looks like the Prairies are down for the count and Northern Ontario isn't far behind.
Feb 6, 2015
240 posts
19 upvotes
Markham, ON
Hey guys,

I’m planning to apply for the position tonight, any tips for the interview process and such?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
infinityZ wrote: Hey guys,

I’m planning to apply for the position tonight,
Which position?
any tips?
Yeah, don't apply Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Last edited by Hugh Jass on Feb 2nd, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
Think about how you'll answer the standard questions that have minimal bearing on your hiring...

How are you able to solve problems on your own? Are you able to work under minimal supervision? What would do with an unruly or abusive customer? Are you able to make snap judgements regarding what is safe and what isn't?

That's fancy talk for: "90% of the time you're by yourself, the other 10% supervisors don't want to deal with your issues. Remove yourself from any dangerous situation, the paperwork is a nightmare."

The correct answers are:
1. refer to my training, deflect questions to the 1 800 line.

2. I take pride in finishing a days work on time and never put in for OT.

3. Remove myself from the situation and report to police/supervisor.

4. Yes I promise to never attempt unsafe work.

In my experience if you can find the depot you're qualified to get to the next hiring stage, which is the driving record check and the physical aptitude test. I've trained a few people who I explicitly told management to let them go. Lo and behold that gets ignored and they damage property (one guy has totaled 2 transits), injure pedestrians (one hit someone at a crosswalk) or just drain the company and never improve. One is in our station now and after 2 years she's never completed a full walk. Sadly she made a beeline for the union teet and she's now untouchable.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Progatron wrote:

...does anyone know where specifically this is happening?
London for sure, we only delivered partial coverage the past few days cause of the extreme cold weather.
Jul 2, 2018
240 posts
123 upvotes
stalbert1 wrote: London for sure, we only delivered partial coverage the past few days cause of the extreme cold weather.
I meant the GTA, but okay. I got delivery today, but nothing is actually showing up. Been waiting on something mailed from Mississauga to Hamilton on Monday, still not here. Two items from Victoria and Calgary, mailed seven and nine days ago - not here. I assume everything has slowed to a snail's pace because of the recent weather?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Progatron wrote: I meant the GTA, but okay. I got delivery today, but nothing is actually showing up. Been waiting on something mailed from Mississauga to Hamilton on Monday, still not here. Two items from Victoria and Calgary, mailed seven and nine days ago - not here. I assume everything has slowed to a snail's pace because of the recent weather?
On Wednesday and Thursday, LCs were called back in Hamilton around 3pm due to temperatures. This didn’t affect my trip because I had already finished by this time. The pileup was cleared the next day for whatever was brought back.

Volumes have been extremely low this week, but I’m just assuming that’s because of the volume count which starts next week.

I don’t see any major delays occurring at my depot.
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
very surprised your mail was low as your volume count is next week and not in the summer...so hopefully this adds walks to your depot..as when we had our volume count-restructure few years ago..the mail before the volume count was very heavy and it was in the summer..and we lost half our routes.
pike18 wrote: On Wednesday and Thursday, LCs were called back in Hamilton around 3pm due to temperatures. This didn’t affect my trip because I had already finished by this time. The pileup was cleared the next day for whatever was brought back.

Volumes have been extremely low this week, but I’m just assuming that’s because of the volume count which starts next week.

I don’t see any major delays occurring at my depot.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

tarjet, ohreally