Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Feb 4, 2016
68 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
BritishColumbian wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:42 pm
Do you use EpsomGel on those hurting legs before or after a good day work?
Do Epsom stuff help a lot? My entire body is just aching these days and my will to walk during personal time has diminished significantly.
Sep 27, 2015
62 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Anyone had experiences carryover vacations to the next calendar year in CPC? Im asking because I never bid on vacations after promotion, I'm a fulltime relief LC, so I'm wondering if CPC allow employees to carryover their vacations.
May 2, 2012
588 posts
209 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Shafted1 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:23 pm
Casuals get called 7 days a week, until you accept 5 shifts, then eclipse won't contact you anymore. Many of them accept Monday-Friday, so they don't get called on the weekend which results in the lower seniority casuals getting called in Saturday/Sunday.

What sucks is some people only get 3-4 shifts a month during non-peak season, then the union takes its cut ~$85, which doesn't leave employees much. Should be a % of your pay check that determines how much the union deducts.
CUPW President has supported the % based union dues, but there’s a process to it. Hopefully this is what happens in the future.
Aug 12, 2017
75 posts
17 upvotes
does Canada Post notify you when your 480 hours are up or do you have to monitor and push things when you hit it?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
StergMTL wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 1:19 pm
So do on-call plant workers get uniforms after the 480 hour probation period?
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Only people that meet the public get uniforms. Some PO4 dock workers get uniforms.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4147 posts
1022 upvotes
Winnipeg
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:02 pm
Anyone had experiences carryover vacations to the next calendar year in CPC? Im asking because I never bid on vacations after promotion, I'm a fulltime relief LC, so I'm wondering if CPC allow employees to carryover their vacations.
They will carryover vacation or just request a week
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:02 pm
What airmail said.

Also, read the collective agreement, the majority of questions are answered there.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
CanadaProud wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:23 pm
does Canada Post notify you when your 480 hours are up or do you have to monitor and push things when you hit it?
No notification, except your uniform entitlement a bit afterwards.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Sep 27, 2015
62 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
airmail wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:36 pm
They will carryover vacation or just request a week
You mean we can only carryover a week of vocation?

We are recently doing 2018-2019 vacation bid in the station, but I still have two weeks left for 2017-2018. They told me to bid on what's left between Jan 1, 2018 - March 31, 2018, but I said I want to carryover to the next year since it shows "deductible to" March 31, 2019 on My SAP.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2132 upvotes
GTA
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 8:06 pm
You mean we can only carryover a week of vocation?

We are recently doing 2018-2019 vacation bid in the station, but I still have two weeks left for 2017-2018. They told me to bid on what's left between Jan 1, 2018 - March 31, 2018, but I said I want to carryover to the next year since it shows "deductible to" March 31, 2019 on My SAP.
You can carry the two weeks over for one year. By then you'll get 3 more, from which you can carry over into the following year etc etc

As I mentioned before, It's in the collective agreement in black and white, section 19 or 20.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
111 posts
9 upvotes
Any tips for parcel delivery? I'm doing my first ot all parcel delivery this Saturday.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1873 posts
324 upvotes
babonk2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:40 pm
So I think we just had a record at our depot

One route had 380ish parcels on Monday. 900POC route
Where was this? Toronto?
Sep 27, 2015
62 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hugh Jass wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:08 pm
You can carry the two weeks over for one year. By then you'll get 3 more, from which you can carry over into the following year etc etc

As I mentioned before, It's in the collective agreement in black and white, section 19 or 20.
Thank you Hugh Jass.
Dec 7, 2014
27 posts
5 upvotes
I don't know if everyone remembers me, but I was that upcoming trainee that was too eager a few months back.

Long story short, I passed the written, sorting and driving test.

On the very last in class training, I got called in for work the very second I stepped off the class room.

I only had one day of no call, so far.

I've been doing parcels, so much so I hope I'll remember doing mails when I get assigned for that. But so far I am enjoying the simplicity of parcel delivery (i.e. no flyers to worry about)

All was doing great, The supervisors that I met on multiple depots we're all nice and good.

Then I just took an assignment until March for the downtown area.

The Supervisor of the Downtown depot seems to be a bit off towards me, feels like he wants to take the smile off my face, he will give me 40+ loads of parcels and then 5 minutes later he will be like, why are you still here? put those in the truck and deliver them. I'm like, who do you think I am? the flash? (don't worry I didnt really say that, just a thought balloon) anyway, what I do just to get rid of him is put the parcels on the cart, load from the cart to the step van, go to a nearby parking lot and organize from inside the truck there. It may sound harsh but I manage, once I'm outdoors I feel fine.

Thing is my original depot is at the west end, this depot is for the east, during the training, we were informed that as long as we dont decline any work from our location depot, it won't be counted against us (acceptance rate) I'm thinking of asking our staff coordinator if I can be released from the assignment and go back to on calls and accept those for the west only, I keep in touch with my fellow trainees and they get calls everyday and when I checked I'm higher than them in terms of seniority, so I should be fine.

But then, I would feel like a quitter, a part of me is thinking to just complete the assignment and not accept any work offers from this downtown depot afterwards since it won't affect my acceptance rate.

Anyway, that's my story so far.

I.E.

Parking Downtown is a nightmare, other than that people are nice towards me.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)