Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Feb 4, 2016
68 posts
18 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jmomccxx wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:47 pm
Any tips for parcel delivery? I'm doing my first ot all parcel delivery this Saturday.
First thing you do is grab a step van or big transit before anyone else cause they will disappear pretty damn fast. Then grab a pdt. Then wait for your turn to select routes (might even just end up with overflow if on the bottom). Scan all packages for out for delivery. Supervisor will want to see how many you are taking out before you leave.We are expected 15 parcels per hour. 8 hour day "120 parcels". Depending on the supervisor, 105 technically suffices as we are entitled to breaks but many will still take the 120. Could be even less if you want to include loading time Face With Tears Of Joy. I grab the header of the route I'm taking and number each package and organize accordingly in the truck. Or some people like to organize by street names. Make sure you bring the right rpo cards. If you do several routes, make a note at the top of the card what route it belongs to if you are unable to deliver the card (ex. apartments). At end of day, the supervisor will want to know how many items were carded total (check your pdt when you are dropping off the packages at the RPO). When in doubt, ask a colleague for help.
Nov 12, 2017
18 posts
8 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 7:04 pm
CUPW President has supported the % based union dues, but there’s a process to it. Hopefully this is what happens in the future.
How dare you ask those who have been working as PO4 for 30 years getting paid twice as much while doing half the work to pay more in Union dues? Let the Christmas temp pay half their pay cheque to the union, because if it weren't because of the union, they will be making minimum wage ! /s
Dec 21, 2007
434 posts
134 upvotes
PeculiarChap wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:54 am
I don't know if everyone remembers me, but I was that upcoming trainee that was too eager a few months back.

Long story short, I passed the written, sorting and driving test.

On the very last in class training, I got called in for work the very second I stepped off the class room.

I only had one day of no call, so far.

I've been doing parcels, so much so I hope I'll remember doing mails when I get assigned for that. But so far I am enjoying the simplicity of parcel delivery (i.e. no flyers to worry about)

All was doing great, The supervisors that I met on multiple depots we're all nice and good.

Then I just took an assignment until March for the downtown area.

The Supervisor of the Downtown depot seems to be a bit off towards me, feels like he wants to take the smile off my face, he will give me 40+ loads of parcels and then 5 minutes later he will be like, why are you still here? put those in the truck and deliver them. I'm like, who do you think I am? the flash? (don't worry I didnt really say that, just a thought balloon) anyway, what I do just to get rid of him is put the parcels on the cart, load from the cart to the step van, go to a nearby parking lot and organize from inside the truck there. It may sound harsh but I manage, once I'm outdoors I feel fine.

Thing is my original depot is at the west end, this depot is for the east, during the training, we were informed that as long as we dont decline any work from our location depot, it won't be counted against us (acceptance rate) I'm thinking of asking our staff coordinator if I can be released from the assignment and go back to on calls and accept those for the west only, I keep in touch with my fellow trainees and they get calls everyday and when I checked I'm higher than them in terms of seniority, so I should be fine.

But then, I would feel like a quitter, a part of me is thinking to just complete the assignment and not accept any work offers from this downtown depot afterwards since it won't affect my acceptance rate.

Anyway, that's my story so far.

"can you kindly bring a shop steward over..."
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1873 posts
324 upvotes
When will this company start practicing basic human respect, especially for new hirees?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10487 posts
2131 upvotes
GTA
roy_miami wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 8:06 am
"can you kindly bring a shop steward over..."
First thing that popped into my head as I read the above referred to post. There's no way in hell that scumbag would talk to a full time employee like that, and if they did, it would be met with some retaliation.

Numerous times I've put them in their place when they were out of line with newbies. They always just put their tail btwn their legs and scurry off like rats.

And to peculiarchap, just ignore this idiot, do what you have to do. If you want to go back to being on call, just do it, it's not quitting whatsoever, but personally I would wait until after the holidays.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 2, 2012
588 posts
209 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
leyland1989 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 6:47 am
How dare you ask those who have been working as PO4 for 30 years getting paid twice as much while doing half the work to pay more in Union dues? Let the Christmas temp pay half their pay cheque to the union, because if it weren't because of the union, they will be making minimum wage ! /s
I’m not even sure where to start..... P04s make $50+/hour? They only work 4 hours a day?
Dec 13, 2016
111 posts
9 upvotes
kehfun wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:18 am
First thing you do is grab a step van or big transit before anyone else cause they will disappear pretty damn fast. Then grab a pdt. Then wait for your turn to select routes (might even just end up with overflow if on the bottom). Scan all packages for out for delivery. Supervisor will want to see how many you are taking out before you leave.We are expected 15 parcels per hour. 8 hour day "120 parcels". Depending on the supervisor, 105 technically suffices as we are entitled to breaks but many will still take the 120. Could be even less if you want to include loading time Face With Tears Of Joy. I grab the header of the route I'm taking and number each package and organize accordingly in the truck. Or some people like to organize by street names. Make sure you bring the right rpo cards. If you do several routes, make a note at the top of the card what route it belongs to if you are unable to deliver the card (ex. apartments). At end of day, the supervisor will want to know how many items were carded total (check your pdt when you are dropping off the packages at the RPO). When in doubt, ask a colleague for help.
Thanks man! That's pretty helpful. There aren 20 ppl working so I should be able to get a step van.

Do you use a route app at all or does that just add too much time to loading?
Dec 7, 2017
2 posts
I'm hoping a Canada Post worker can help me with this.

I mail often to the US and have always used a mail or plastic bubble mailer when shipping photos and cards.
The bubble mailers are always at or under 10 x 7 inch and 80 grams. No thicker than 2cm.
It costs me $2.95 + tax for US Lettermail Non-Standard and Oversized as you can see in this picture

Now, a new employee will not mail it unless it's light packet parcel at $6.84. Her reasoning because only paper/documents can be inside. I use thin rigid cardboard or plastic toploader to protect the photo or card from being bent and creasing.

So is the employee right about this? Because she's the only person that I've come across that will not ship it this way. I've never encountered this issue before and Canada Post has been great for me. Also this Canada Post store is inside London Drugs.

Friends tell me to just put these oversized international lettermails in the red box with sufficient postage stamps as to avoid her. I've never done that, is it as safe? And do they go directly to the dispatch/sorting center or do they go to the nearby Postal Outlet. I ask because I would be putting it in the Red Box just outside the store where this employee works.
Jan 13, 2013
137 posts
34 upvotes
Vancouver
I've used the app Road Warrior (I think that was the name) for parcel delivery. It might take 10-15 minutes to enter everything but it's probably not that much longer than looking up each parcel on the header and labeling them. The app costs $5/month and optimizes a route based on the addresses entered. It's not perfect, but still efficient if you don't know an area.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1873 posts
324 upvotes
I wish there was an app that could read the postal codes from CP barcodes and trace a route for all stops.
Dec 13, 2016
111 posts
9 upvotes
JamieRei wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:29 am

I mail often to the US and have always used a mail or plastic bubble mailer when shipping photos and cards.
The bubble mailers are always at or under 10 x 7 inch and 80 grams. No thicker than 2cm.
It costs me $2.95 + tax for US Lettermail Non-Standard and Oversized as you can see in this picture

Now, a new employee will not mail it unless it's light packet parcel at $6.84. Her reasoning because only paper/documents can be inside. I use thin rigid cardboard or plastic toploader to protect the photo or card from being bent and creasing.

So is the employee right about this? Because she's the only person that I've come across that will not ship it this way. I've never encountered this issue before and Canada Post has been great for me. Also this Canada Post store is inside London Drugs.

Friends tell me to just put these oversized international lettermails in the red box with sufficient postage stamps as to avoid her. I've never done that, is it as safe? And do they go directly to the dispatch/sorting center or do they go to the nearby Postal Outlet. I ask because I would be putting it in the Red Box just outside the store where this employee works.
That should work. That mail goes right to the depot and then the plant I think.
Apr 30, 2015
653 posts
439 upvotes
York, ON
Yes just throw the equivalent value in stamps on it and drop it in a red box. The employees at those drug stores are clueless.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
1873 posts
324 upvotes
JamieRei wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 7:29 am

You're saying you are mailing photos and cards in these. The employee says you can only send paper as letter-mail. Aren't these made of paper? Unless these cards and photos are of commercial value (and therefore require a customs declaration) I believe the employee is wrong. As said by others, just put the sufficient postage on these and drop them into the red box. I am not sure if it is required to affix a CN 22 customs declaration (43-074-076) - the little green sticker, to your envelopes just to avoid delays and possibility of these being returned to you. Maybe I would call CP Customer Service if you mail tons of these.
Here you can read more about customs requirements: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manu ... sp#1382681

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)