Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Sep 19, 2004
745 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
ahnaatjai wrote: farce majeure? was that on purpose? Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
it's because of today's weather in GTA, cpc deems it's not safe to deliver. "force majeure" is a code for holding parcels/packets at depot.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Hugh Jass wrote: All GTA got farce majeure.
Same here, just got a package from UPS though. Nice day at home for us.
Jun 25, 2013
68 posts
22 upvotes
sunvv wrote: it's because of today's weather in GTA, cpc deems it's not safe to deliver. "force majeure" is a code for holding parcels/packets at depot.
oh i know. i work in gta also. i was just wondering if hugh meant to say 'farce' or 'force' given his sense of humour. Winking Face
Dec 23, 2011
367 posts
256 upvotes
toronto
ocallaghand wrote: Before I started working for the post office, my brother (whom I trust with my life) mailed me a Keg gift certificate for my wedding anniversary. I never received it. I moved on and learned a valuable lesson. Don't send anything of worth without tracking. I'm not telling you something you don't already know, I am simply stating how I learned my lesson.

Maybe my brother put the wrong address? We will never know.
I saw a $300 cheque in the mail once, it was pretty ********.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
ahnaatjai wrote: oh i know. i work in gta also. i was just wondering if hugh meant to say 'farce' or 'force' given his sense of humour. Winking Face
Of course I did it on purpose lol

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
KaleMerrier wrote: Not too far from Toronto and our area went out today no hesitation. Big mistake, I think.
I think the GTA call was a great move. Must've been a tough one for management to make but definitely the right one.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2013
1118 posts
735 upvotes
LONDON
Hugh Jass wrote: I think the GTA call was a great move. Must've been a tough one for management to make but definitely the right one.
Yep would have been 100s of slips and falls plus those of us who actually went in get a full days pay and those who didn't lose a personal day. Good day!
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
stalbert1 wrote: Yep would have been 100s of slips and falls plus those of us who actually went in get a full days pay and those who didn't lose a personal day. Good day!
That's fair enough.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
anyone know ball park figure on rpo clearance at the shoppers drugmart, the time value
thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote: anyone know ball park figure on rpo clearance at the shoppers drugmart, the time value
thanks
Seen from five to twenty minutes.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: As far as I know, you can go on a long term leave of absence (unpaid) for up to 5 years and retain your seniority. You can look into pay averaging but I don't know if you need a medical or educational reason. As for jobs, I understand its treated as don't ask don't tell. The manager can request your resignation if you are found testing out another job, but most terms and road runners work 2 jobs so there's wiggle room. Just don't bring it up IMO.

I believe out of province moves give you some extra (paid or unpaid IDK) time off. You could try and float your holidays into your moving date. I don't know if you can buy back your pensionable hours - you used to but they've been closing loopholes lately.
sunvv wrote: During the approved leave, you may accept employment outside the Corporation provided such employment:
is not with any third party, subsidiary or affiliated company; and,
meets CPC Conflict of Interest guidelines or of any subsidiary or affiliated company. Such outside employment must not be with a competitor.

yes, you can take another job outside when you are on leave as long as you're not working for a competitor. check the additional information in the following link

https://extranet.canadapost.ca/html/bra ... ng-e.shtml
Thanks for the replies. I have my shop steward looking into it for me.
I attempted to get these answers from my local last year but they couldn't give me a straight answer.
The above link provides info for self-funded leaves where you defer pay but it would be too late for me to start this. I'll see what we find out!
Dec 23, 2011
367 posts
256 upvotes
toronto
dcjcdc wrote: son school got cancelled today due to bad weather in the gta today...so called work to say wont be in as no one to take care of young son due to schools closed...so beside personal day..is there another code on leave form I can put...
thanks
You can apply for a emergency paid leave due to childcare emergency type of stuff, but wording leads me to believe it should only occur once maximum. Also you can use comp time.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
pike18 wrote: No delivery in Hamilton and the GTA today. Stay by your phone for tomorrow!!!
I worked out of Depot 1 today. Noon start. Not sure I want to do that again. Walking after dark on icy steps and driveways looking for addresses was dicey, at best.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
Are 'snowflake rated' shoes mandatory in snow? We are going to get our few days of snow for the year soon and I don't want to get sent out to buy shoes. I wear trail runners but they probably just look like running shoes. They have lots of tread as I bought them this week.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: Seems like the yin to the yang of "changing groups resets your year" language. Doubt it will affect many but if you have the opportunity to flip-flop between groups you might be able to get to top rate pretty quick.
I was made full time last year.

So, I was getting paid 20.30 relief when i was a term. Then got hired and backfilled to a route (19.86), then bid on a relief spot and was back up to 20.30... and then bid on a route and back down to 19.86. Is there anyway I could snag a raise based on that?

I would 100% bid on a relief spot if that meant an extra level bump also.
Last edited by jmomccxx on Feb 7th, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I've never heard of a specific requirement for footwear. I wore my goretex mid hiking boots on Monday, waterproof trail runners on Tuesday and I've been back in my running shoes the past 2 days.

Supervisors just don't understand that tread really does not matter in ice. Just walk like a penguin and shuffle (or better yet, just skip it), that's the only way to avoid falling. Ours were warning us that if it snows during the day tomorrow and they see us walking without cleats we may get disciplined, to which the resounding reply was "who the **** would wear cleats in fresh snow?". Clueless. Maybe I'll just bring my snowshoes to be extra safe.

@jmomccxx regarding your scenario, you could have your "raise anniversary" pushed back a month and the backpay that comes with it. If you go back to RLC that gets overwritten.
Last edited by mikebc on Feb 7th, 2019 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 13, 2016
809 posts
430 upvotes
mikebc wrote: I've never heard of a specific requirement. I wore my goretex hiking boots on Monday, waterproof trail runners on Tuesday and I've been back in my running shoes the past 2 days.

Supervisors just don't understand that tread really does not matter in the snow. If there's ice underneath, you're going down regardless of shoe type. Just walk like a penguin and shuffle (or better yet, just skip it), that's the only way to avoid falling. Ours were warning us that if they see us walking in snow without cleats that we may get disciplined, to which the resounding reply was "who the **** would wear cleats in fresh snow?". Clueless.
We have a few supervisors who will 100% pull some dumb shit if they think im wearing the wrong shoe. The new buzz word is 'snowflake rated' which has me a little worried. TBH though, I'll just take the day with no pay and say **** it.

I do have like 4 pairs of cleats though because they are free on the uniform site lol.

Edit: What's the difference between that and the scenario in the link? I guess I don't understand what promotion and demotion means here.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
The linked scenario basically says the "demotion" that you get when given FT was wrong. Once you get FT, your "anniversary date" should be that day and you should not receive a pay reduction (as it is an involuntary demotion or something).

At least 5 reliefs have grieved this in my station in the past year to the point where management doesn't even read the argument. The wording was so ambiguous that they just had the attitude of "if we can't interpret it then we'll rule in our favour". I don't know why our grievances aren't arbitrated by a neutral party, the manager having the final and only say just delegitimizes the entire process.