[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
tarjet wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 9:05 pm
Yeah I can only assume they are having massive trouble retaining and hiring people in Toronto. 2015 we had plenty of temps to deal with the rush, I never took an overflow IDC out on my walk once. Always went to someone else. 2016, I was on a walk with a lot less parcels, but still, everything went smoothly. Rarely ever an uncovered walk. This season has been a total mess, not enough temps for the volume, supervisors who don't know how to manage the volumes or the brand new hires, multiple monos of parcels coming after tying out, temps sorting parcels on the floor into mountains instead of putting them on overflow carts, the whole 'no space at the RPOs' disaster, it goes on and on.

Only my 3rd christmas at canada post, and each has been worse than the last. Oh gee, I wonder what fun next year will bring??
Your 4th Christmas will be filled with enough parcels that you can't fit them in your vehicle, so that on top of everything, you now have to make two trips to your route. However, the company will make it up to you by including 4 more useless coupons in your Christmas gift letter. And as a special extra gift, they will give you a lump of coal for every fellow employee that you get fired by using the rat line.... Smiling Face With Open Mouthmerry Christmas :facepalm:
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Dec 21, 2007
910 posts
439 upvotes
moncton
Surprised they don't get broken into more. Most likely parcels in every one this time of the year. No security. Probably just getting delivered after dark and maybe after the homeowner has already checked it. Would only take a second to crowbar it open and move on.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
http://www.cupw.ca/en/what%E2%80%99s-re ... ay-changes

The union continues to try to sell the fact that they gave up flyer pay, while allowing flyers to grow to massive proportions. Then they say, we will address overburdening in this round. Yeah right. You agree to make us carry the weight of a dishwasher, and just say we will fix that later. I don't know if this is their first round of negotiating. The company is going to agree to NOTHING THAT WOULD ADDRESS THE OVERBURDENING due to the weight of these flyers. Christ, they won't even let you weigh them in a proper volume count ffs.... I wonder if the union Reps even know how much 500 grams is ? I have loops that are a 100 houses long (walking). ONE flyer at that weight would be 50,000 grams all by itself. That, folks, converts to ........110 pounds !!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA, that's without any other flyers, mail, magazines, parcels and packets. OMFG ! Are we supposed to drive up to every house with a vehicle and wheel up their flyers on a fricken' dolly? I think that we should hang that weight around both CP and the unions necks while they negotiate, while walking on tread climbers. Then, and only then, will we get some negotiating that involves an ounce of common sense.....
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 12:34 am
Your 4th Christmas will be filled with enough parcels that you can't fit them in your vehicle, so that on top of everything, you now have to make two trips to your route. However, the company will make it up to you by including 4 more useless coupons in your Christmas gift letter. And as a special extra gift, they will give you a lump of coal for every fellow employee that you get fired by using the rat line.... Smiling Face With Open Mouthmerry Christmas :facepalm:
probably will invent a transit trailer for Christmas season....because backing up into a busy RPO parking lot isn't hard enough..lets add a trailer!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
firefireman wrote:
Dec 21st, 2017 11:32 pm
Being Harassed At Work?
Information for Workers

try this

https://www.labour.gov.on.ca/english/hs ... atwork.php
I am not sure that if applies in this one particular case, but I can say that many government "protections" don't apply to unionized members, as they are supposed to go through their union to solve many of these issues.
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My third Christmas as well. Merry Christmas to all! =)
May 21, 2013
815 posts
367 upvotes
Montreal
Man our union president is a total ****. This is only going to create more jobs (union gets more dues) and the company at the end of the day will collect more money. And who is going to pay for this? Letter Carriers, not only will we be breaking our backs in years to come, but were going to get paid less for it. The time values that are calculated are absolutely insane. My average tier of circs is 500 and what they are allocating me is not even close to what it is.

But it's nice for rural workers who can just slot everything into a community mailbox meanwhile our backs are being broken since were still wearing the bag. But of course we should be paid the same. Total **** of a union.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2046 posts
451 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Dec 20th, 2017 7:39 pm
The Corp has lawyers and the union have letter carriers and clerks negotiating million dollar contracts...lol
Are you serious? We have amateurs negotiating our contracts as opposed to hired lawyers from the Corporation?
Apr 30, 2015
852 posts
644 upvotes
York, ON
The union has their own lawyers, the lawyers do not negotiate the contract, on either side. Point taken though, the reality is the union officers are all drawn from the rank and file and often don't have a lot of education.
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ksimms3 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 6:21 am
Man our union president is a total ****. This is only going to create more jobs (union gets more dues) and the company at the end of the day will collect more money. And who is going to pay for this? Letter Carriers, not only will we be breaking our backs in years to come, but were going to get paid less for it. The time values that are calculated are absolutely insane. My average tier of circs is 500 and what they are allocating me is not even close to what it is.

But it's nice for rural workers who can just slot everything into a community mailbox meanwhile our backs are being broken since were still wearing the bag. But of course we should be paid the same. Total **** of a union.
What about the thousands of full CMB mobile routes?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2046 posts
451 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2017 4:41 pm
What about the thousands of full CMB mobile routes?
Yeah, while I agree with Ksimms3 that our job is back breaking, when I did a full CMB route I did not find those routes more properly time assessed, quite on the contrary. And while it might seems like RSMC's job is easier, they get slammed with more parcels and they have to do 100% of flyers daily with less pay. We get paid peanuts for the time it takes us to deliver flyers and most LC's don't even know you can claim OT for collating after your 8 hour shift, or they don't want to know, to avoid the rage from the supervisors. The RSMC's don't even have that option.
Nov 7, 2017
105 posts
9 upvotes
do plant operation postal clerk get called in on dec 24.

they only confirm 25 and 26 we not working.