Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Veggienator wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 3:47 pm
Do temp LCs get paid for Christmas and Boxing Day? Or is it just a day off?
44.19 Paid Holidays
(a) All temporary employees will be entitled to receive payment for a holiday specified in
clause 18.01 on which they do not work. Such payment will be calculated on the basis of 1/20th of the regular wages earned during the two (2) complete pay periods immediately preceding the holiday.
(b) When a temporary employee works on a holiday specified in clause 18.01, he or she will be paid for all hours worked at two (2) times his
or her regular straight time rate in addition to the pay specified in paragraph
44.19(a).
(c) When a temporary employee works on a holiday specified in clause 18.01, he or she will
be entitled to paid meal and rest periods in
Nov 11, 2017
7 posts
1 upvote
THANks! And I'm guessing you just need to work the 2 days prior and the day after Boxing Day and you're good to go?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11631 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
Veggienator wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 7:53 pm
THANks! And I'm guessing you just need to work the 2 days prior and the day after Boxing Day and you're good to go?
Nope.

I always thought this but when I actually got sick the friday of a long weekend I still got paid for the Monday stat.

It's just what was quoted from the CA above.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Veggienator wrote:
Dec 25th, 2017 7:53 pm
No, that’s not stipulated anywhere. Just 1/20 of the two pay periods preceding the holidays. So whatever you made during pay period 24 &25, divide By 20 and that’s what you’ll make for Christmas and Boxing Day.
Dec 23, 2011
229 posts
153 upvotes
toronto
Happy holidays everybody. After some considerations I have switched depot and ended up in a plant with nice supers. Then I got hired today and temporarily allocated to a plant far from home that I have only heard terrible things about the sups, /shudder. Some questions, are we automatically enrolled in the pension? Does wage increases finally begin, when can I bid? How many vacation/sick days etc do we get and can we still get unpaid days off when we need them? Can I refuse the temporary assignments based on work distance/personal circumstances?
My offer letter doesn't say much, it tells me I need to lookup my wage, bidding, bennifits, and everything else.

Short story, was covering a route for Christmas. Delivering in one of the wealthiest areas of Canada. A guy came to me and said the corporation told him we are getting overpaid and little worked. I replied I don't know about the others but I make less than $20 an hour and most temps I know are looking to quit with min wage going up. Asked where he worked, in a school and admired his job while he watched me sort in mail and told him I'm gonna look into that once I hit home. We had a nice Christmas Convo and I told him he should consider working for the post, we will take anybody. To which he smiled and said he is retired now.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11631 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
fishhunting wrote:
Dec 26th, 2017 3:32 pm
I got hired today
Congrats ;)
Some questions, are we automatically enrolled in the pension?
Yes. And don't forget about the health benefits, automatic enrollment for basic, optional extras. You'll get an info pack in a few weeks.
Does wage increases finally begin?
Of course :)
when can I bid?
Next bid.
How many vacation/sick days etc do we get and can we still get unpaid days off when we need them?
FT start off with 3 weeks vacation per year ( April 1st to March 31st), so you'll get it pro-rated until end of March.
7 personal days a year ( July 1st to June 30th), again pro-rated until end of June.
It's possible to get unpaid days off, but it depends on their need for bodies, if you have a decent staffing supervisor and what are the circumstances.
Can I refuse the temporary assignments based on work distance/personal circumstances?
Doubt it. You're not a term any more.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7420 posts
841 upvotes
Toronto
Applied as temp relief lc in October in the Gta, went through training and finished end of October. Got called to come In daily for full time u til Jan 15.

Me and several others applied for ft in the west as its faster to get status there, just last week the staffing supervisor told us us we got full time and start Jan 15 in the west.

We didnt even past the 480 hours probation. Still waiting on the letter as Canada post for some reason is slacking.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1743 posts
1292 upvotes
at the chiropractors
PCDawg wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 12:09 am
Applied as temp relief lc in October in the Gta, went through training and finished end of October. Got called to come In daily for full time u til Jan 15.

Me and several others applied for ft in the west as its faster to get status there, just last week the staffing supervisor told us us we got full time and start Jan 15 in the west.

We didnt even past the 480 hours probation. Still waiting on the letter as Canada post for some reason is slacking.
congrats to you...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Mar 12, 2013
138 posts
44 upvotes
Edmonton
how To secure a Part Time Job in Canada PosT. i am based in EdmonTon
Aug 16, 2006
366 posts
62 upvotes
I have a question for the RSMCs on the thread. I was offered an on call position and I'm finding it difficult to get commercial coverage on my vehicle. Tried a broker, Allstate and thePersonal. Can someone point me towards the right direction? Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11631 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
kc1 wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 9:33 am
I have a question for the RSMCs on the thread. I was offered an on call position and I'm finding it difficult to get commercial coverage on my vehicle. Tried a broker, Allstate and thePersonal. Can someone point me towards the right direction? Thanks.
Try a broker, let them do the leg work, no obligation and you can still check out options yourself.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11631 posts
3011 upvotes
GTA
PCDawg wrote:
Dec 29th, 2017 12:09 am

Wow, that's mad fast. Congratulations !

Some people in Hamilton were taking 10yrs :0

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)