Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15846 posts
580 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
https://www.cp24.com/news/woman-fatally ... -1.3752641

Oh dear. I am going to assume this is going to be talked about at a weekly mini/safety meeting.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Mar 14, 2015
261 posts
164 upvotes
33966 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:11 pm

Oh dear. I am going to assume this is going to be talked about at a weekly mini/safety meeting.
I feel awful for the family of that poor woman. I've worked at the station the truck (presumably) came from; and also feel for the LC who was driving.

We've all had our share of near misses, I'm sure. I know I have.

Not to capitalize on a tragedy, but stress; overwork and unrealistic deadlines plus working in the dark make it more likely that
accidents will happen, both on the road and off.

Stay safe out there, brothers and sisters.
Apr 20, 2013
246 posts
96 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 12:54 am
No, I'm a term.
Then you must be covering relief position.

Good - you're getting an extra $1/hour
Bad - you could be covering different walk every day.
Oct 19, 2017
31 posts
25 upvotes
digression wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:48 pm
Then you must be covering relief position.

Good - you're getting an extra $1/hour
Bad - you could be covering different walk every day.
Relief only gets paid $0.53 to $0.57 more than regular...not exactly a windfall lol...with all the grind & grief that goes with it!
Apr 12, 2011
495 posts
253 upvotes
downtown TO
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:14 pm
Oh, Canada Post. Can we just get on with it already instead of playing games? Put on your big boy pants and get to the table.....
http://www.cupw.ca/en/pay-equity-canada ... -more-time
I agree with what CUPW is saying, but lately it seems that all they care to talk about is the RSMC issues... What about us poor LCs?
Dec 23, 2011
116 posts
39 upvotes
toronto
Hi new FT hire here, just wondering what happens if we use up all our personal days and vacation days, can we take additional unpaid days? Can't recall specific #s, but I was sick minimum 3 weeks last year as a term.

Also, is there no way of refusing assignments as a fulltime "hired" LC, I have to drive 1 hr each way to my current assignment, this is ludicrous.

Any idea when is the next bid? the last one seems to be nov 2017. Still waiting for the promised hiring package, hopefully, it comes soon.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10773 posts
2273 upvotes
GTA
fishhunting wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:13 pm
Hi new FT hire here, just wondering what happens if we use up all our personal days and vacation days, can we take additional unpaid days? Can't recall specific #s, but I was sick minimum 3 weeks last year as a term.
If you're sick, you're sick. They can't make you work. IIRC you'll need a doctors note if it's more than 2 or 3 days. As for other time off, you can ask, but they dont have to give.
Also, is there no way of refusing assignments as a fulltime "hired" LC, I have to drive 1 hr each way to my current assignment, this is ludicrous.
I dont think so, once it's within the zone. Give staffing a heads up for next time, let them know where your preferred depots are.

Any idea when is the next bid? the last one seems to be nov 2017. Still waiting for the promised hiring package, hopefully, it comes soon.
Next month.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 30, 2015
699 posts
477 upvotes
York, ON
Bids are every month. Next one will be posted in the next week or two for February. I would bid on anything and everything at first because there is nothing worse than being unassigned.

As for leave, if you burn through your personal days you can take unpaid sick days but you might have an "attendance interview" for it. People don't get disciplined for it but it's a way for them to harrass you about it. Some supervisors don't care but others can be dicks. If you come down with something like you said that requires more than a week off, like pneumonia or whatever, you apply to short term disability and get paid 70%.
Apr 20, 2013
246 posts
96 upvotes
Koolob1 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:11 am
Relief only gets paid $0.53 to $0.57 more than regular...not exactly a windfall lol...with all the grind & grief that goes with it!
Nope...it's $1 per hour. And it's definitely worth it in a station where you know most/all of the walks...not so much if you don't.

Edit: just saw that you are a term...unless something has changed recently, what I said still applies. But I'll admit I'm not sure. Ask union rep they will know.
May 21, 2013
723 posts
274 upvotes
Montreal
Letter Carriers need to disband and vote out this union.
Feb 17, 2017
23 posts
3 upvotes
oakville
so sad..
im very surprised this does not happen more often...even for the canada post driver its dangerous getting out of the vehicle in the dark.surprised there not killed more often..with the amount of new drivers with canada post and the turnover, and they make it worse for a fatality to happen to have drivers who stop and go frequently TO DRIVE IN THE DARK, only way it will go back to just delivering in the daytime is to have someone at the top at canada post family member die from a fatality...
33966 wrote:
Jan 9th, 2018 11:11 pm

Jul 21, 2014
5 posts
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 7:22 pm
If you're sick, you're sick. They can't make you work. IIRC you'll need a doctors note if it's more than 2 or 3 days. As for other time off, you can ask, but they dont have to give.
How does it work if you're a temp? My dispatcher told me a while back he'll only call me if im not working the following week. So I'm on contract every week. Can I just call in and take refusals at will? I've worked non stop since the summer, so I have a lot to use!
Mar 24, 2016
437 posts
383 upvotes
scarborough
ksimms3 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 6:15 am
Letter Carriers need to disband and vote out this union.
Im surprise cupw hasn't supported Tim Horton employees like the other labor group has
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10773 posts
2273 upvotes
GTA
tedfromaccounting wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:36 am
How does it work if you're a temp? My dispatcher told me a while back he'll only call me if im not working the following week. So I'm on contract every week. Can I just call in and take refusals at will? I've worked non stop since the summer, so I have a lot to use!
You're entitled to take time off when you're sick, but you won't be paid. I'm not sure what you mean by taking refusals.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

SpeedyLC