[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 2:49 am
Because it is none of their business. If they want to contact you on your personal cell phone, they should be providing us with them. That is why they are supposed to use Jabber. You wouldn't believe the amount of times I have heard stories of people being called for ridiculous questions. There is very little worse than having your hands full of mail, while walking a loop, in -30 weather, the phone rings, you scramble to put the mail somewhere, take off your gloves, unzip your coat to get your phone, and there is a ding dong on the other end, calling to ask if "you remember delivering a parcel to someone the other day" or something equally important that can wait until you get back.

Also, what an incredible waste of time to call everybody to come back, one at a time. The supervisors can send out "group messages" to entire depots at once, to go to all the pdt's, where you have to view the message before it lets you use the pdt again. Probably didn't use that system, because they are clueless....
Our station doesn't do those daft phone calls. thank God, so I see what you mean then. But I have no problem with them having my cell# when it comes to a safety issue like this.

We were told yesterday morning to make sure we were logged into Jabber, as that's how they would be communicating the message. But that is kind of flawed coz a lot of people can barely use the PDT and may not get the message.

You're able to call 911 on the PDTs so perhaps they should make them able to receive calls from specific numbers too.

But I have no problem with them having my cell# when it comes to a safety issue like this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
dcjcdc wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:55 pm
was surprised Canada post actually cared about safety to have us get back from the weather, now if they cared about safety they would get rid of second wave so people don't have to deliver in the dark before someone gets hurt or killed
They don't care about us.

They care about us not being able to come into work the next day because they don't have the required terms to cover us, as most of them quit.

They care about paying us to sit at home when we have an IOD.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
fishhunting wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 11:32 pm

first time in a taxi depot and it was amazing how much CP pays for taxi, I mean if they contract this out at a rate of $40/person/day you would only need to drive out 5 carriers who have trips nearby for an incredible retirement job.
Mad eh?

About 5 yrs ago I remember one ( old school) guy used to take a cab in the morning to deliver mail, cab back to the depot for lunch, cab back again to do his PM, then another one back to the depot for the end of the day. Each ride costing about $20.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2008
1252 posts
221 upvotes
Oshawa
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:17 am
Mad eh?

About 5 yrs ago I remember one ( old school) guy used to take a cab in the morning to deliver mail, cab back to the depot for lunch, cab back again to do his PM, then another one back to the depot for the end of the day. Each ride costing about $20.
That’s exaxtly how I do my routes when I’m on delivery. They love me for it lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
dieselboy27 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 10:28 am
That’s exaxtly how I do my routes when I’m on delivery. They love me for it lol.
If it's within the rules, then why not? :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Expert
Nov 19, 2005
15856 posts
585 upvotes
RedFlagDeals!
Can confirm, talked to a buddy of mine and said he also got the call despite being on vacation. facepalm indeed.

Yes my supervisor has my number and I have his. My supervisor is good because he doesn't bug me about missing parcels and small matters, only calls for important things like safety stuff and easy OT splits. YMMV tho cause I remember I worked in a diff station and a supervisor would call about if I remember delivering a parcel a few days ago as if I would remember with the many parcels I deliver daily. But yes I usually wait till I finish the loop and get back inside the corp.vehicle then I check my phone. Aint nobody got time to stop to check the phone in cold winter weather in the middle of a loop/delivery cycle.

Yeah its weird cause I also worked that ice storm years ago and we were indeed forced back and I thought it was pretty bad or similar to what we had yesterday with all the ice rink sidewalks/roads.

But yes they should use jabber to send a mass message out to everyone to come back. I know with the old pdts we would get mass messages here and there but since the new pdts I haven't got a jabber message, but then again I don't think I set mine up, or you have to apparently login seperately or something and put a password? Seems much work so I don't bother. I shouldn't have to login twice to something on the pdt, at least the old pdts you login once and you are good it logs you in for everything.

Taxi's are the best! I miss being a term and working at a taxi depot. You need high seniority to get a perm position at those taxi depots.

I agree with the wave things, the waves seem to be getting later and later with every new restructure. I miss the old days where you more or less started same time in the morning and had your own case so you didn't have to wait to get on your own case. I feel like the longer you are with the company you can slowly see it going downhill. It doesn't appear to be getting better, only worse.
PC IS MASTER RACE! ( ͡°( ͡° ͜ʖ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ʖ ͡°) ͡°) VΛ 🆅🅰🅿🅴 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 ┏( -_-)┛┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓┗(-_- )┓ 𝑅𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓇𝑒𝓁𝑒𝓋𝒶𝓃𝓉
Apr 30, 2015
705 posts
478 upvotes
York, ON
I've never given any supervisor my cell number but they still call me. It really bothers me that they can look up my personal number and use it to call me anytime they want, and they do. I don't answer anymore, because I've been called a number of times when the idiot supervisor thought I was delivering my walk while on vacation, on STDP, and many other times when for totally unnecessary issues.

I've tried removing my number from my profile but it's mandatory to have there. I might change it to pizza pizza or something because I've never been called for something that was totally necessary for me to answer.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
33966 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:44 am

Taxi's are the best! I miss being a term and working at a taxi depot. You need high seniority to get a perm position at those taxi depots.
Depends on area. Commissioners yes, Mississauga depot 5, most routes use taxis and they're routes are schitty.
. I feel like the longer you are with the company you can slowly see it going downhill. It doesn't appear to be getting better, only worse.
Letter carriers, we are the face of the company, we do the hardest job by a mile but yet we are the ones that get to suffer any cutbacks etc. Our union is too big, it encompasses too many positions and has to please everyone.

I've known a few LCs that have moved to the plant and they ALL say it's like a holiday compared to LC work and we should be getting at least a few bucks an hour more than inside workers. But we know that'll never happen. Can you imagine the next contract gives inside workers a .5% raise but LCs get 2% coz the job is harder? Inside workers would be going nuts. But it's ok for the company to make our routes longer and longer each time, pay us less for the bigger flyers etc, once the plant workers are ok.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 8, 2017
72 posts
82 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 12:22 pm
Depends on area. Commissioners yes, Mississauga depot 5, most routes use taxis and they're routes are schitty.

Letter carriers, we are the face of the company, we do the hardest job by a mile but yet we are the ones that get to suffer any cutbacks etc. Our union is too big, it encompasses too many positions and has to please everyone.

I've known a few LCs that have moved to the plant and they ALL say it's like a holiday compared to LC work and we should be getting at least a few bucks an hour more than inside workers. But we know that'll never happen. Can you imagine the next contract gives inside workers a .5% raise but LCs get 2% coz the job is harder? Inside workers would be going nuts. But it's ok for the company to make our routes longer and longer each time, pay us less for the bigger flyers etc, once the plant workers are ok.
I guess its because most of the inside depot positions are held by people with more seniority and they know the ins and outs of the company and it's politics. But a letter carrier these days are usually very junior with the exception of seniors on really good routes so they don't care about company politics as much to put up a fight with the union.

I have taken splits off some senior walks and its like a vacation.
And I do agree its f**kin BS how some of us are getting paid 19.xx an hour doing the same job while holding the crappiest routes in the company!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1147 posts
680 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 4:30 pm
I guess its because most of the inside depot positions are held by people with more seniority and they know the ins and outs of the company and it's politics. But a letter carrier these days are usually very junior with the exception of seniors on really good routes so they don't care about company politics as much to put up a fight with the union.

I have taken splits off some senior walks and its like a vacation.
And I do agree its f**kin BS how some of us are getting paid 19.xx an hour doing the same job while holding the crappiest routes in the company!
Just remember, those senior people also had to start with the crappiest walks. And they also had to wait 15 years to get full time and get their own walk, not one or two years like it is now....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jul 8, 2017
72 posts
82 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 6:14 pm
Just remember, those senior people also had to start with the crappiest walks. And they also had to wait 15 years to get full time and get their own walk, not one or two years like it is now....
Not to sound like an ass but with the restructures happening these last few years I'm sure a crappy walk 10-15 yrs ago is considered a great walk today.

But you're right about getting perm in less than a year now.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 6:43 pm
Not to sound like an ass but with the restructures happening these last few years I'm sure a crappy walk 10-15 yrs ago is considered a great walk today.

Last I heard it was full-time in about 3 months in GTA west.

Years ago the sort was way harder and longer. There was no such thing as sequenced mail, just lettertainers ( long shallow white plastic things you see around some stations) full of S&L. But I think you might be right about a crappy one then being a decent walk today.

Big issue for us time-wise now is the parcels, we're doing as much as an MSC does in a day, plus the mail. Nobody else in the company is doing this much extra work than they were a few years ago.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1147 posts
680 upvotes
under a snowbank, MB
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 6:43 pm

Yes and no. Generally, the "job" itself was better with having more mail and less oversized parcels, but there was always "crappy" walks. Nowadays, those better senior walks, also still have to deal with all the parcel volume, cmb's etc. So basically, the job has definitely changed, but there has always been a wide disparity of desirability for certain walks. This seniority thing also goes for other things like picking holidays. The senior guys can get prime summer holidays or Xmas, spring break etc, but they too, went their first decade or two without being so lucky as well.... It's called, "putting in your dues".... PPS. Being a relief on the old walks, still sucked as well.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Mar 11, 2016
83 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 6:55 pm
Last I heard it was full-time in about 3 months in GTA west.
It took me 2.5 years for FT LC....Astonished Face
Years ago the sort was way harder and longer. There was no such thing as sequenced mail, just lettertainers ( long shallow white plastic things you see around some stations) full of S&L. But I think you might be right about a crappy one then being a decent walk today.
In the last bid, my very first walk that I owned years ago came out in the bids. Heard some people saying 'what a great walk...no SLB/CPUs...' I still remember the stairs, 600 POC, and shitty customers/dogs on it...good walk...NOW WITH PARCELS!!! Yeah right...whatever...lol. :facepalm:
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10827 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
PtsuckS wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 7:50 pm
It took me 2.5 years for FT LC....Astonished Face
3.5 for me. I remember asking a shop steward for help putting in the transfer papers and he told me not to bother as CP weren't going to hire any more new permanent employees :facepalm: I got help from someone else.....

In the last bid, my very first walk that I owned years ago came out in the bids. Heard some people saying 'what a great walk...no SLB/CPUs...' I still remember the stairs, 600 POC, and shitty customers/dogs on it...good walk...NOW WITH PARCELS!!! Yeah right...whatever...lol. :facepalm:
LOL, it's not all about what the header says. If you keep track, you'll see the same walks coming up every month or every second month, there's a reason for that :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

dieselboy27