[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10657 posts
2217 upvotes
GTA
fishscale4sale wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 1:03 pm
Yes we get both days off, Friday (Mar 30) and Monday (Apr 2)
And that following Tuesday is a biatch ;)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Mar 14, 2015
251 posts
152 upvotes
fishhunting wrote:
Feb 10th, 2018 2:40 pm
Completely agree.
You want the guy making 19 with no raise in sight to work harder than the guy making 28, this is difficult. Now a days I do 8hr/day take all my lunch break washup time and take good care of my own health and safety.
This is definitely not a job to lose sleep over. Any trades, skilled labor is a better job. Higher start higher ceiling and better work conditions. As for the pension, it is only a ~6% rate of return subject to the very real risk of not paying out in full after 30 years, which you can likely achieve a higher return by investing an index fund with the money you pay. The benefit is not better than any other company.
Of course you can mention Tim Horton's or Walmart or somewhere people are getting abused. However have you seen how Walmart employees work, why don't we import workers from the third world. Many new hires I've met in recent times now can't even speak English properly, you get what you pay for.

By the time we retire we might end up with a minimum wage pension, which would be a very lackluster return that could be less than 4% or completely gone to restructure.

It is ludicrous for the corp to offer a 0% wage increase. That is not negotiation, it is abuse and as insulting as the union that asks for a 100% salary raise over a year.
We should never fall into the trap of comparing ourselves to the lowest common denominator. Pensions, benefits, etc. should be expected in a prosperous society such as this. Remember, we are making the money for them!

!9 bucks an is nothing nowadays, especially considering what sort of environment we work in, and the fact that we are doing the work of two or three people. Yes, the pension and benefits are important, but we are paying a lot for them; it isn't like the company is the sole contributor.

At the end of the day, you can't eat, save, invest, or pay rent or mortgages with your benefits or pension.
Aug 12, 2017
100 posts
35 upvotes
SantaCruz wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:10 pm
I'm not talking about whether or not they are "regular" people. I'm talking about the quality of Postie's. They are very very slow and don't seem to catch on. And while I expect that to some extent with new people, months will go by, and I see little to no improvement.

This is a reflection of Canada Post. They can't find people willing to do this job. And they treat new people so poorly, that many people just quit because this job isn't worth being treated like that for. So I feel like the last year or so, most of the people I see coming in, seem like CP is drawing from the last barrel because they're desperate. Now implement all the changes they want to make, and who will they hire?
being a new Temp I must say at least in my training class it seemed about 75% were pretty top notch people...now saying that this job at the start damn near broke me....I have worked many crap jobs and many good jobs....never in any job I have ever had have I been left to the wolves as I did in this one....1st shift I was given a full route (all CMB) with 27 slb clearances and 2 RPO drop offs and pick ups....(never was trained on anything to do with RPO and using a manifest)..this shift was the day after the November long weekend....I brought back 2 sections of mail..and on the next day was given the same full route...plus those 2 sections I did not finish....on the 3rd day they finally gave me some help...by the 4th day I got done in 10 hours (although a floater took the RPO's for me)...the following week got worse.....as temps some of us are thrown on to a full route with almost no training and given old header boards and useless maps....being all cmb you are also collating a route with 1500-2000 POC..so daily you are make sets of 400-600 flyers..and if unlucky a mix of apt/HH/bus/ and different postal codes....so even if you are lucky enough to stay on route long enough to learn it you are still stuck collating for an hour or 2 when you get back....the vast majority of my shifts were 12 hours with no break (yes I know you should take breaks but tough when you are new with your probation hanging over your head)..add in it gets really cold filling cmb's especially when you don't have any of the fantastic CP uniforms..you get frozen, cold, wet, hungry and friggin exhausted....while making 19 bucks an hour doing the same job as others making 26 bucks an hour. I am still here and currently working a long term part-time afternoon PO-4 postion (smaller depot so us temps get shoved into open clerk spots..myself on afternoon..3 others got stuck on 4:30am-830am)....so now not only am I only making 19:86/hr..I am only getting 20 hours a week....makes it a tough call to keep this job when I could walk into almost any factory and make the same amount of money with full-time hours..get a uniform/benefits/breaks etc right out of the gate. I have really flown up the temp list in the couple months I have been there so will give it while longer. (2 quit, 1 transferred, 1 went permanent PO4) which basically leaves me 3rd from the top.(but small depot with only 12 routes )...so going to stick it out..see if I can pick up the odd section to go with my part time hours and wait and see what the contract brings....but if the contract is bad you could see a whole crap ton of Temps run to the friggin hills..I mean hell most jobs now start at 15-17 bucks an hour..and that is doing almost anything....LC do a crap ton of work for very little pay as a temp
Mar 14, 2015
251 posts
152 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 7:38 pm
Well, you can, when you retire.
Well, you can't buy and hold stocks for a long time, buy a house when you are young, or save easily while you are still earning. That's what I mean.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1142 posts
297 upvotes
Westside
The job and pay is shit. Everyone is just holding on to some hope with the benefits and pension as the incentives, if there's even a pension in 30yrs but the reality there is no hope in Canada Post.
Dec 30, 2017
7 posts
I heard some coworkers talking about how they changed how raises work and this guy that has been working there for 4 years said he only makes 20 something per hour.

But I thought we get dollar raises every year after achieving permanency.

Whats the truth lol?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1380 posts
86 upvotes
richmondhill
looking to possibly transfer to either Mississauga depot 3 or 4 or hale in Brampton....are these mostly walking depots..also for letter carriers,,,what is the early start times there,,also departure times..
thanks
Apr 30, 2015
683 posts
465 upvotes
York, ON
I've worked in D3 it's is mostly walking. It was recently restructured so departure times and start times are late, 830 start and 10am departure for first shift and 10-1030 start and 12pm departure for second.
Mar 14, 2015
251 posts
152 upvotes
aaronre wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:03 pm
I heard some coworkers talking about how they changed how raises work and this guy that has been working there for 4 years said he only makes 20 something per hour.

But I thought we get dollar raises every year after achieving permanency.

Whats the truth lol?
That is supposed to be the truth. It's right in the collective agreement.

Canada Post, however, looks at the time you take a relief position or get a route, and recalculates it as a year from THAT date. A nice scam.

You will be temporarily assigned for some time after getting permanency. So once you have gone several months before finally owning a position, the clock starts all over again.

The union calls this a clear violation of any reasonable reading of the collective agreement. Grieve it if you find yourself in this situation! A mass of grievances is about the only thing that will force Canada Post to put a stop to this nonsense.
Nov 19, 2008
213 posts
25 upvotes
York
bigbluesky wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:29 pm
The union calls this a clear violation of any reasonable reading of the collective agreement. Grieve it if you find yourself in this situation! A mass of grievances is about the only thing that will force Canada Post to put a stop to this nonsense.
Do you know where I can find that in writing? I would like to grieve this if I can. I received full time permanent status June of 2016, I was expecting a raise June 2017. I contacted HR access and they said I'll be getting it in April 2018. Technically I owned my first route Feb 2017, first bid after the new year.

EDIT: Punctuation.
Mar 14, 2015
251 posts
152 upvotes
Order a pay inquiry from AccessHR. That's an itemized list of all your assignments with what you were being paid hourly at the time.

Contact your local and send them a copy of the pay inquiry. I am going by what my local officials told me, but it is clear in the chart in the Appendix of the agreement that covers pay grades.
Jun 25, 2013
54 posts
10 upvotes
apparently they've told us to not put up our sequenced. (i wasn't at the meeting because f*ck dat).........but ya.....f*ck dat!
Aug 12, 2017
100 posts
35 upvotes
tarjet wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 7:12 am
I've worked in D3 it's is mostly walking. It was recently restructured so departure times and start times are late, 830 start and 10am departure for first shift and 10-1030 start and 12pm departure for second.
12pm for second wave.....that must be fun Nov-Feb....man I am a small depot but being new I was hitting 8pm and that was with 8am start lol....I would be out until midnight if I started at noon!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

bonzo