Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 21, 2007
844 posts
389 upvotes
moncton
pike18 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 6:35 am
Pay equity isn’t included in negotiations, this is a completely separate issue.
Whatever you want to call it our union is using our negotiating time and resources on this when that time and resources should be used on trying to better our own sitation. Why don't they start with "pay equity" for our own members?!?

Last round the members felt like they were pulled through the ringer after the threat of a lockout in summer. When it came time for the fight to start they felt like they had just been through a 12 round fight when in reality nothing actually happened. It was a brilliant strategy by the corporation and they played us like a fiddle. And it was exasperated by the fact that we weren't really asking for anything besides "pay equity."

IMO instead of joining forces with another faction we should further segregate and have separate unions for outside and inside workers. Think about it this way: would we gain more joining with Purolator for instance, creating a super-union, or do we gain more in fighting separate battles then pointing to each others victories as part of our own negotiation? The supervisors just got a nice little raise, without even trying we should be able to get what they got, that should be the starting point, and their (separate) union did a lot of the leg work for us.

Bigger is not always better, and with the money flowing through our union I would be shocked if there isn't some foul play going on.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 10:00 am

....and with the money flowing through our union I would be shocked if there isn't some foul play going on.
I always think this too.

Now I realize there are a lot of costs involved in running a union but how can they say they don't have any money for strike pay when 54,000 members pay $80 a month?

Do the math.

54,000 x $80 is $4,320,000 a month, $51,840,000 a year.

There hasn't been any strike pay paid out since June 2011 ( and none for ages before that but I won't even go there), so we'll call that 7.5yrs in which CUPW has collected $388 million.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
May 2, 2012
877 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 10:00 am
Whatever you want to call it our union is using our negotiating time and resources on this when that time and resources should be used on trying to better our own sitation. Why don't they start with "pay equity" for our own members?!?

Last round the members felt like they were pulled through the ringer after the threat of a lockout in summer. When it came time for the fight to start they felt like they had just been through a 12 round fight when in reality nothing actually happened. It was a brilliant strategy by the corporation and they played us like a fiddle. And it was exasperated by the fact that we weren't really asking for anything besides "pay equity."

IMO instead of joining forces with another faction we should further segregate and have separate unions for outside and inside workers. Think about it this way: would we gain more joining with Purolator for instance, creating a super-union, or do we gain more in fighting separate battles then pointing to each others victories as part of our own negotiation? The supervisors just got a nice little raise, without even trying we should be able to get what they got, that should be the starting point, and their (separate) union did a lot of the leg work for us.

Bigger is not always better, and with the money flowing through our union I would be shocked if there isn't some foul play going on.
Well, the short answer is because they can do two things at once. Our contract negotiation committee isn’t working on the pay equity study. There is a seperate committee which is working on that study along with CPC and an arbitrator. That process was agreed to regardless of the outcome of the last contract negotiation. It was agreed to through the mediator because it’s a legal matter outside of collective bargaining.

In regards to pay equity for our own members, the term, “pay equity” refers to two different groups which are comprised of predominantly male or female. This is true of LC vs RSMCs according to current legislation. The same can’t be said for LCs on different pay structures.

When it comes to negotiations, I think you’re right that there is an easy starting point for pay increases, but the corporation would probably point to the fact that APOCs new members receive a DC pension VS our DB plan.
Dec 21, 2007
844 posts
389 upvotes
moncton
pike18 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 12:00 pm
Well, the short answer is because they can do two things at once. Our contract negotiation committee isn’t working on the pay equity study. There is a seperate committee which is working on that study along with CPC and an arbitrator. That process was agreed to regardless of the outcome of the last contract negotiation. It was agreed to through the mediator because it’s a legal matter outside of collective bargaining.

In regards to pay equity for our own members, the term, “pay equity” refers to two different groups which are comprised of predominantly male or female. This is true of LC vs RSMCs according to current legislation. The same can’t be said for LCs on different pay structures.

When it comes to negotiations, I think you’re right that there is an easy starting point for pay increases, but the corporation would probably point to the fact that APOCs new members receive a DC pension VS our DB plan.
They can do a million things at once, but we're the ones paying for it. Whats the roi (return on investment) for us?
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Is the employee self serve site down for anyone else? I can't print pay slips right now and I need to.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:06 pm
Is the employee self serve site down for anyone else? I can't print pay slips right now and I need to.
Just checked, works fine for me.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:12 pm
Just checked, works fine for me.
I can sign on but when I click on pay and compensation, I get a 'server connection not available' message. I'm not sure what's causing it as I'm connecting fine to other sites.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:19 pm
I can sign on but when I click on pay and compensation, I get a 'server connection not available' message. I'm not sure what's causing it as I'm connecting fine to other sites.
Tried again and am now getting same pop-up. Wasn't before, as I actually checked a previous paystub for something.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 2:46 pm
Tried again and am now getting same pop-up. Wasn't before, as I actually checked a previous paystub for something.
I called and apparently its down and they got a few calls about it. If more people call in they will make it a major incident and prioritize it.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4836 posts
1532 upvotes
Winnipeg
ttthai wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 9:03 am
Honest question, how can we make this happen?
Used to be the LCUC
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 9:21 pm
Used to be the LCUC
I can't see this ever happening unless another strong union came and poached LC from CUPW...Unifor maybe? they seem to like raiding other unions not sure that is a fight they would go for CUPW is pretty damn big fish to go after
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 6:08 am

iv started donating my dues to charity, this union can suck it
Seriously? How can I do this?
May 2, 2012
877 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 12:52 pm
They can do a million things at once, but we're the ones paying for it. Whats the roi (return on investment) for us?
We’re paying for their time regardless if they’re meeting with arbitrators or not, so 100%?
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
anyone know the time frame for a Temp to get FT at any of the following areas? London, Hamilton, Kitchener, Brantford...any type of a clue would be great thanks (I have heard Kitchener might be 9 months and Hamilton 6 months but not positive on these time frames)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11608 posts
3001 upvotes
GTA
CanadaProud wrote:
Mar 4th, 2018 2:53 pm
anyone know the time frame for a Temp to get FT at any of the following areas? London, Hamilton, Kitchener, Brantford...any type of a clue would be great thanks (I have heard Kitchener might be 9 months and Hamilton 6 months but not positive on these time frames)
I can confirm Hamilton is about 6 months.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)