Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 23, 2011
196 posts
136 upvotes
toronto
dcjcdc wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 11:23 pm
your in a tough position.....im a letter carrier over 20 years..so majority was door to door where I finished in great time...now we have converted to all cmbs....in your case you might want to transfer to a depot that has all cmbs..as it is easier on the body....eventhough I used to do my door to door routes in 5 hours approx..and was aching at times,,the down part of going to cmbs is..your working 8 hours for 8 hours..so basically working through your lunch and breaks to finish in 8 hours..nice hah..thats the way they designed it so no shortcuts...but again easier on your body
Yah I enjoy going door to door with a vehicle, this place is relay bags and can get heavy as a sick relief on a daily basis. Especially since none of the route sheets are updated in this depot with relay box locations that the regulars use. The weight is ruining my body.
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
yellowknifenutz wrote:
Feb 28th, 2018 2:12 pm
how should i dress and prepare for the interview questiones? I had two interviews before and I failed both of them.
I would suggest going over previous answers to questions given..good shot you will get similar questions....they are looking for the following 1) Health and safety..don't leave any safety hazard..if you find a spill stay there until you die!!!!
2) customer service..the customer is always right!!! they could be setting your transit on fire and they are perfectly correct!! (side note..do NOT leave the flaming transit (see point 1) ..and finally being a peer to your co-worker....you must answer that you will treat your fellow worker with every single bit of grace and dignity...they could be playing Justin beiber for 4 hour straight..and you have to deal with them in a calm and respectful manner....if they spit in your face..say "yes sir may I have another!!" note if the spit fall on the floor.. DO NOT LEAVE IT!!!!..... but really the answers should be self evident in how they want to answer...sadly you are at the whims of your interviewer and at times they can be lacking in their abilities to judge....try to use and experience with any answer given..even if you have to make up that experience..keep in mind they will not be calling references simply reading your letter..they will not verify your answers. Some times an interviewer simply will just not like you so don't take it personal remember depending on the depot the odds may not always be in your favour anyways..if Toronto area a pulse should be enough....if a smaller depot..well might want to wear a tuxedo. But yes in general they are hurting for people...your interviewers could be pretty new as well so will spend most of the interview writing down your answer....be friendly and sociable you should be golden.....drop any sexist/racist/ bigoted comments and you have ZERO chance in hell (as it should be)....
Oct 4, 2017
19 posts
So, I've completed 95% of the probation hours period, and I've not met with the team leader once. Is this a good thing ?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11244 posts
2660 upvotes
GTA
brad1506 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 4:52 pm
So, I've completed 95% of the probation hours period, and I've not met with the team leader once. Is this a good thing ?
IMO yes, always good to stay off their radar.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 7, 2014
295 posts
219 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Sounds like Burlington .
Everyone and anyone should stay away from Burlington.
Find a CMB depot. Routes are long and putting together house holders is a pain but you don't destroy your body as fast. Your shoulders and elbows will get wrecked before your back and hips .
fishhunting wrote:
Feb 27th, 2018 12:36 pm
So I got overburdened because I am stuck as a new sick relief at a new relay bag station which I've never done before I got hired or got training for. My mailbag is consistantly 50lb+, and none of the walks are finish able unless you cut across the lawns and other cheats, ok except one walk I can do it if I speed walk like an athlete. My shoulders and feet hurts whenever I carry heavy mail bags, they would be in pain throughout the day, now they hurt at night and I don't want to hit old age with all sorts of health problems. Is my only option to quit, can't even take days off without harassment so my body can recover, this job can be very very wrong. 2018 and we have to pee in a box, eat in the snow/rain/wind/sun.

Would have quit long ago if this was known, the job is brutal and doctor says my nerves will be damaged over time.

When I was a temp I would finish consistently before 1-2 sometimes even by 12. Now here I can't even finish in 8 hours. Temp life was approximately an acceptable job, fulltime is horrendous and I can't keep hurting my body so supervisors will be satisfied.

Tldr: is my only option to quit or are other options available aside from quiting this can be brutal job. I can't survive carrying 50lbs+ all the time going door to door in the relay system. My body simply cannot recover fast enough and I don't want to enjoy the pension for only a month before I pass.
Jun 25, 2010
553 posts
120 upvotes
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 8:04 pm
Sounds like Burlington .
Everyone and anyone should stay away from Burlington.
Find a CMB depot. Routes are long and putting together house holders is a pain but you don't destroy your body as fast. Your shoulders and elbows will get wrecked before your back and hips .
could be Bur depot 8 ,none of them flat. Bur main have shorter walks compared to depot 8.
Jul 7, 2014
295 posts
219 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I agree. Depot 8 is one of the worst depots, route wise almost all are pigs . But the working environment at the the other Burlington Depot is one of the worst I've experienced.
It seems Burlington is always hiring temps. I wonder why...
nousername wrote:
Mar 1st, 2018 10:24 pm
could be Bur depot 8 ,none of them flat. Bur main have shorter walks compared to depot 8.
May 2, 2012
826 posts
433 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 8:01 am
I agree. Depot 8 is one of the worst depots, route wise almost all are pigs . But the working environment at the the other Burlington Depot is one of the worst I've experienced.
It seems Burlington is always hiring temps. I wonder why...
It wasn’t always that way. Before they went PT Lite with sequenced Burlington Main was not too bad. The commute from Stoney Creek to Burlington alone keeps them off my bid sheet.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11244 posts
2660 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 6:53 pm
I'm worried that they will split the difference and make things better for rural and worse for urban.
And any vote will sail through coz the inside workers don't care about LCs.

If rural go for retro pay as a result of a favourable decision, watch out, corp will tighten their belt bigtime.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1527 posts
1122 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 2nd, 2018 7:00 pm
And any vote will sail through coz the inside workers don't care about LCs.

If rural go for retro pay as a result of a favourable decision, watch out, corp will tighten their belt bigtime.
It is of my opinion that this is one of the real reasons that the union agreed to less pay for flyers. More money in the corps pockets, which is going to be needed to help pay for the result of this pay equity stuff. Honestly, I don't know why they don't just go to the arbitrator and say this....
"Canada post says that the RSMC's actually make more than the urban workers. Fine. We accept that report from Canada Post. Now, Mr/Mrs arbitrator, ask Canada post why they are fighting to NOT put the RSMC's on the same contract as the Urban workers, when according to their own report, it would be a cost savings to them".
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Dec 21, 2007
746 posts
340 upvotes
moncton
So once again these negotiations are more to do with "pay equity" and less to do with less to do with bettering our own situation? Where did this mandate come from? I feel like when it comes to voting some members are voting against our own unions proposals rather than voting for what the corps offering. And thats wrong.
May 21, 2013
802 posts
364 upvotes
Montreal
been saying it for years, urban workers need to disband from this union and form our own

iv started donating my dues to charity, this union can suck it
May 2, 2012
826 posts
433 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 3rd, 2018 12:37 am
So once again these negotiations are more to do with "pay equity" and less to do with less to do with bettering our own situation? Where did this mandate come from? I feel like when it comes to voting some members are voting against our own unions proposals rather than voting for what the corps offering. And thats wrong.
Pay equity isn’t included in negotiations, this is a completely separate issue.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

dieselboy27