Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 7, 2014
306 posts
229 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Equal pay for equal work!
Only applies to Ontario and not Federal. Starts in april.
However I would suggest all employees especially new hires and temps talk to your rep and email this link to your local and national.
A huge step in the right direction especially with recent minimum wage changes.
2 tier pay structures need to be abolished. It is a form of discrimination.

https://news.ontario.ca/mol/en/2018/03/ ... ril-1.html

Here's a few contacts , if I didn't list your local please take the time to find yours and let them know that Cupw and CP should be following Ontarios example in setting the standard when it comes to equality for ALL employees and not just one segment of Cupw.

Toronto cupw contacts
http://www.cupw-sttp.ca/contact-us.html

Hamilton cupw contactscupwhamilton.org/people/executive

National
feedback@cupw-sttp.org
Jul 7, 2014
306 posts
229 upvotes
Burlington, ON
However I would suggest all employees especially new hires and temps talk to your rep and email this link to your local and national.

Here's a few contacts , if I didn't list your local please take the time to find yours and let them know that Cupw and CP should be following Ontarios example in setting the standard when it comes to equality for ALL employees and not just one segment of Cupw.

Toronto cupw contacts

Hamilton cupw contactscupwhamilton.org/people/executive

National
feedback@cupw-sttp.org
Jul 7, 2014
306 posts
229 upvotes
Burlington, ON

Toronto cupw contacts

Hamilton cupw http://cupwhamilton.org/people/executive-board

National
feedback@cupw-sttp.org
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11619 posts
3004 upvotes
GTA
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 4:58 pm

But doesn't every job/career have entry-level salaries? Say if you're accountant straight out of school, you won't be making the same as the guy that's doing the same work but has been there 10 years. Or am I completely missing something here?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 7, 2014
306 posts
229 upvotes
Burlington, ON
When thinking of Canada Post I don't think a temp with 4 years under his belt should be paid the same as a 15 year permanent employee, however I dont think they should be trapped at the minimum of $19.xx Per hour. They should be paid the same rate as a 4 year permanent employee.
The federal and provincial governments and private employers have been paying drastically reduced wages when using temporary employees. Governments are one of the worst offenders.
I agree entry level salaries are appropriate but most temp agencies and temporary jobs pay minimum wage and not entry level wages.
In the private sector a permanent 1st year employee would be making $5 more per hour for doing the exact same job as the temp, making minimum wage.

It was only a few years ago that CP temps were paid fairly.
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 6:03 pm
But doesn't every job/career have entry-level salaries? Say if you're accountant straight out of school, you won't be making the same as the guy that's doing the same work but has been there 10 years. Or am I completely missing something here?
Dec 21, 2007
853 posts
393 upvotes
moncton
The 7 years to get the top rate after being hired full time (which could take 20 years from seniority date in some cases) should be changed to top rate 4 or 5 years from your seniority date, at worst. That was a terrible agreement. Every casual and anybody making less than the top rate should vote no, always no until it starts getting addressed. For me if the wage disparity isn't a part of the offer then everything else is moot and I'm voting no. Spread the word.
Last edited by jonny_fishead on Mar 17th, 2018 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 6:22 pm
When thinking of Canada Post I don't think a temp with 4 years under his belt should be paid the same as a 15 year permanent employee, however I dont think they should be trapped at the minimum of $19.xx Per hour. They should be paid the same rate as a 4 year permanent employee.
The federal and provincial governments and private employers have been paying drastically reduced wages when using temporary employees. Governments are one of the worst offenders.
I agree entry level salaries are appropriate but most temp agencies and temporary jobs pay minimum wage and not entry level wages.
In the private sector a permanent 1st year employee would be making $5 more per hour for doing the exact same job as the temp, making minimum wage.

It was only a few years ago that CP temps were paid fairly.
Yea, this is all I want. Pay increases over time regardless of status.
Mar 14, 2015
268 posts
169 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 12:29 am
Yea, this is all I want. Pay increases over time regardless of status.
They even screw you around when your year anniversary date arrives, in order to not pay you your annual increases.

Look, we're doing three peoples' work here in all sorts of environmental conditions and with bullying bosses and managers.

19 bucks an hour doesn't cut it. The pre-2011 pay package was much more reasonable than this. After deductions, if you are making 19 or 20, there's next to nothing left.
We need a far more fair pay system, with due regard to the value the front-line staff are contributing to the Corp.
Jul 8, 2017
90 posts
111 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 6:03 pm
You can't compare an accountant to a letter carrier..After the first 2 years I'd say theres not much difference in skill between a 2nd year letter carrier than a 25 year seniority letter carrier in terms of skills. I'll say it in the most humble way. Im about 3 years in and can guarantee I can do this job way better than 90% of the carriers you see at the depot.

An entry level account may possess less credentials and has less responsibilities than a 5th year accountant so I'd so the pay difference is valid.

And to add, the more seniority you have as a carrier, the better your route in most cases.
Apr 30, 2015
852 posts
644 upvotes
York, ON
I agree with all the posters above.. and the "seven years to reach top rate!" is bullshit. It's more like 10-15, heck in a smaller city, it could take you 20 years. Just for a $6 pay raise.
Dec 21, 2007
853 posts
393 upvotes
moncton
I wasn't around for the casual pay rate negotiations but this is my sense of the back and forth negotiation:

Corp: we want to pay casuals $19/hr then when the get hired they get incremental pay raises to the full rate over 7 years
union: haha, no

--a few months later--

Corp: we want to pay casuals $19/hr then when the get hired they get incremental pay raises to the full rate over 7 years
union: sure
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11619 posts
3004 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:14 am
I agree with all the posters above.. and the "seven years to reach top rate!" is bullshit. It's more like 10-15, heck in a smaller city, it could take you 20 years. Just for a $6 pay raise.
Definitely should be less than 7yrs and the clock should start from the day you were hired.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11619 posts
3004 upvotes
GTA
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:09 am
You can't compare an accountant to a letter carrier..

An entry level account may ( BUT MAY NOT)possess less credentials and has less responsibilities than a 5th year accountant so I'd so the pay difference is valid.
First career that popped into my head, go ahead pick it apart, I don't see you offering too much input in this thread. Replace accountant with landscaper then, same point. Guy working with same company 6/7 yrs gets a few raises over the years, new guy comes along should get the same??

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)