Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 6, 2017
164 posts
128 upvotes
nousername wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:24 pm
Just thought I’d share. Got insurance from Coseco (owned by co-operators) . Being a Cpc employee get group rate. Saved about $900/year .
What type of insurance?
Apr 12, 2011
616 posts
464 upvotes
Etobicoke
nousername wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 5:24 pm
Just thought I’d share. Got insurance from Coseco (owned by co-operators) . Being a Cpc employee get group rate. Saved about $900/year .

Same here, I have coseco (co-operators) insurance for auto and home.
I get quotes every year, they have always been the cheapest (with TD coming in a close 2nd)
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1502 posts
1096 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Pjtipps wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 10:06 pm
Bio on his replacement ....http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/comm ... a-mcdonald
Wow, reading that bio gives me hope that they can turn this acrimonious relationship between management and the staff, around. Of course, she is only a temp replacement. Maybe, that could be made permanent. It at least sounds like the negotiations should be done under her watch, which may get some positive movement..... fingers are crossed....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4579 posts
1258 upvotes
Winnipeg
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 4:11 pm
Wow, reading that bio gives me hope that they can turn this acrimonious relationship between management and the staff, around. Of course, she is only a temp replacement. Maybe, that could be made permanent. It at least sounds like the negotiations should be done under her watch, which may get some positive movement..... fingers are crossed....
Unfortunately cupw have there own prerogative....so urban will suffer once again.
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Mar 13th, 2018 8:52 pm
Today was better. 45 minutes late. I'm hoping the rest of the week is good. After this, I should be on a pretty good walk for four weeks but have to confirm tomorrow.

The mostly frustrating thing for me was finally finding an office and the jackass inside tells me that mail goes to receiving/warehouse door 10 or wherever.
I have a route like this. Well, I don't own it, but the route owner was badly injured so have it for a long while. 4 months in so far.

The worst part about Industrial-type businesses is that, unlike retail businesses, there is no clear "ENTER HERE!!!" sign. You've obviously figured that out already with the Door 10 receiving thing.

If you were on it for the day only, I'd say don't spend more than a minute looking for anything. But if you're on it for a week or more, I'd treat the first day like a scavenger hunt - find them all. You'll get much faster as the week progresses, and you'll get OT for doing it.

You have two choices:

1 - avoid business routes for now until you get more experienced. Even with experience, business park routes suck if you have never done before. Residential is definitely WAY easier.
2 - lock into a station and learn them all...with major OT on the first (and probably second...maybe even some on the 3rd) day. Eventually become rockstar business guy in your depot.

I'd have asked that "jackass" in the office if he could take the mail "just this once" but that's just me. ;)
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
Re: Headphones

Hey all - with the recent talk about headphones, I wanted to share what I use.

https://aftershokz.com/products/trekz-titanium

Bone-conducting headphones - worn like a bluetooth headset, allows you to listen to music (or talk on the phone) while still being able to hear sounds around you quite clearly. Approved by my supervisors!
Sep 6, 2015
85 posts
11 upvotes
York, ON
Madmax29 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 9:10 pm
Quick question;

Just took the GAT test and I know I should not have but on the memory portion, where you rearrange the images... I snapped a photo with my phone :/

Anyways the screen reacted to my phone and kind of dimmed/went bright and automatically went to the next page, without me hitting the "next" button - how is this possible?
The memory questions, you’re supposed to get them wrong (esp the hard ones). It was to test your honesty to see if you would cheat. It probably detected that you either took a photo/screenshot.

If you don’t get a call within the next few days it probably means you didn’t make it.
Feb 17, 2017
29 posts
3 upvotes
oakville
with all the routes getting longer and BS happening at the depots, i am very surprised i have not heard on the news that a letter carrier has not gone postal on a supervisor or superintentant...or it has , we just have not heard about it on the news
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
digression wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 11:04 pm
I have a route like this. Well, I don't own it, but the route owner was badly injured so have it for a long while. 4 months in so far.

The worst part about Industrial-type businesses is that, unlike retail businesses, there is no clear "ENTER HERE!!!" sign. You've obviously figured that out already with the Door 10 receiving thing.

If you were on it for the day only, I'd say don't spend more than a minute looking for anything. But if you're on it for a week or more, I'd treat the first day like a scavenger hunt - find them all. You'll get much faster as the week progresses, and you'll get OT for doing it.

You have two choices:

1 - avoid business routes for now until you get more experienced. Even with experience, business park routes suck if you have never done before. Residential is definitely WAY easier.
2 - lock into a station and learn them all...with major OT on the first (and probably second...maybe even some on the 3rd) day. Eventually become rockstar business guy in your depot.

I'd have asked that "jackass" in the office if he could take the mail "just this once" but that's just me. ;)

Yea, today was a lot easier. I only had one office where it turned out I was delivering to the wrong place. The attitude of the people that work at these places amazes me. This guy basically screamed so I would go back up and grab the mail and re-deliver to the 'main office' rather than to the office under the massive 'shipping/receiving' sign. This 'main office' was not sign posted and not visible from the road.

One thing about becoming good on industrial routes.. is that I now know that section 1 of this route is doable in like an hour and 15/25 minutes and section 2 is similar. The sort and pull is an absolute m-fer but if you know where you are going it would be pretty good OT to just deliver mail. I buy that business routes are all about just knowing where you are going. A lady who has been there for about 15 years told me that she took 3 hours to do a section on mandatory OT on the route I'm doing. You are boned if you don't know where you are going.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4579 posts
1258 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ontario17 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2018 10:51 pm
with all the routes getting longer and BS happening at the depots, i am very surprised i have not heard on the news that a letter carrier has not gone postal on a supervisor or superintentant...or it has , we just have not heard about it on the news
What kiND of BS?
Bullying and intimidation??

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

airmail, flameboy54