Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 8, 2017
90 posts
111 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 2:04 pm
First career that popped into my head, go ahead pick it apart, I don't see you offering too much input in this thread. Replace accountant with landscaper then, same point. Guy working with same company 6/7 yrs gets a few raises over the years, new guy comes along should get the same??
The point is the quality of the work. So you're telling me a veteran letter carrier can provide something that a guy with 2 years under his belt can't provide? This job isn't exactly all that technical to be honest. The guy that just started landscaping most of the time starting out will not provide the same work as a guy who's been doing it for years. Yes he will get gradual increases because most likely he will be getting better at what he does hence a valid reason for a higher wage.

You can switch it up with any career you want.

To add: Im guessing you're one of the guys who's been around for 10+ years and think you're all high and mighty cause you started earlier than the new temps coming in. But at the end of the day, tell me what can you provide that deserves the difference of 6 dollars in pay. I bet you, NOTHING.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1682 posts
254 upvotes
A TTC operator goes full rate after 2 year and make same as the operator with 30+ years..only difference will be the route and total amount of hours worked as the senior operator picks first. A Mississauga transit operator make full rate after 1 year.

The truth is after 1 or 2 years, you can do these low skill jobs as good as the guy with decades on the job. These are not the kind of jobs where you add more value with more years under your belt. So I agree with the above poster.

***Just a neutral observer to the discussion above.
Mar 14, 2015
268 posts
169 upvotes
Singh_21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 4:39 pm
A TTC operator goes full rate after 2 year and make same as the operator with 30+ years..only difference will be the route and total amount of hours worked as the senior operator picks first. A Mississauga transit operator make full rate after 1 year.

The truth is after 1 or 2 years, you can do these low skill jobs as good as the guy with decades on the job. These are not the kind of jobs where you add more value with more years under your belt. So I agree with the above poster.

***Just a neutral observer to the discussion above.
Skills should only be a part of what decides the composition of a pay package.

Incidentally, I would call this "semi-skilled", rather than low skilled work.

We are also in an era where good jobs are few and far between. Educated, skilled people are finding it tough to find work in their respective fields, and that leads them into the blue collar job market.

These people are nonetheless contributing and adding value to their corporation or whatever the employer is. Do they (we) deserve any less than a decent standard of living?

I find it a distinct possibility that I could do my direct supervisor's job.

I know he has never done my job, and I don't think he could.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2003
1682 posts
254 upvotes
There is nothing wrong with blue collar work. All I am saying is that I find it unfair that a employee with 2 years on the job will make less money than someone who has been doing it for 10 years for these low skill jobs. It is not fair. It is the same work they do.
Mar 14, 2015
268 posts
169 upvotes
True enough. I was only saying that this job is really semi-skilled, not unskilled. It has more in common with low-level office work in some respects than digging ditches.

I agree with your main point 100%, though.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Singh_21 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 5:13 pm
There is nothing wrong with blue collar work. All I am saying is that I find it unfair that a employee with 2 years on the job will make less money than someone who has been doing it for 10 years for these low skill jobs. It is not fair. It is the same work they do.
Yep you are correct- tho by the same reasoning inside workers should be paid differently since the job is totally unique to ours and has less obstacles such as weather etc.
Mar 24, 2016
559 posts
492 upvotes
scarborough
So how about this.

if i owned a landscape business and i need 2 more people. I already have a staff of 5 earning about $26 an hour. so i hired 2 more people and i tell them they are going to earn $19 per hour and they accepted the job. Do a couple weeks go by and now they approach me and tell me they want to $26 like my original employee. what would you do as a business owner. those employees at accepted an $19 rate so why pay them for something agreed upon. At any point they could have said no $19 is not acceptable i need more but they accepted the job at $19 not $26.

people are focused at obtaining the job first and then argue what was negotiated at he beginning.

New employee for Canada post know the rate is $19 if they have a problem with it then dont apply.

What being said i would have left a long time ago working for $19. The rate i feel should be increases at a faster rate than 7 years but those were the conditions which are set upon new hires

Just my 2 cents. I owned at business before and i hired my people for it. a lot of people will agree to juts about anything just to get their foot in the door and then start with pay increases or i cant work weekends or i cant work evenings when at the interview it was all stated you will need to work those hours at that rate
Dec 21, 2007
837 posts
385 upvotes
moncton
explorer11 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:27 pm
So how about this.

if i owned a landscape business and i need 2 more people. I already have a staff of 5 earning about $26 an hour. so i hired 2 more people and i tell them they are going to earn $19 per hour and they accepted the job. Do a couple weeks go by and now they approach me and tell me they want to $26 like my original employee. what would you do as a business owner. those employees at accepted an $19 rate so why pay them for something agreed upon. At any point they could have said no $19 is not acceptable i need more but they accepted the job at $19 not $26.

people are focused at obtaining the job first and then argue what was negotiated at he beginning.

New employee for Canada post know the rate is $19 if they have a problem with it then dont apply.

What being said i would have left a long time ago working for $19. The rate i feel should be increases at a faster rate than 7 years but those were the conditions which are set upon new hires

Just my 2 cents. I owned at business before and i hired my people for it. a lot of people will agree to juts about anything just to get their foot in the door and then start with pay increases or i cant work weekends or i cant work evenings when at the interview it was all stated you will need to work those hours at that rate
Yeah, so? The conditions can be changed, the same way they were changed before.
Feb 17, 2017
10 posts
How do I know the uniform will be the right size for me?

I know I'm a size medium and 30x32, but when I measured myself their are so many other sizes to choose from.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
QuakerO wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 11:59 pm
How do I know the uniform will be the right size for me?

I know I'm a size medium and 30x32, but when I measured myself their are so many other sizes to choose from.
You don't choose the size, they'll send you the relevant sizes according to your measurements. If any of the items don't fit, you can exchange them.

Tip: add half an inch to your pant leg, as they're notorious for leaving them too short.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 3:51 pm

To add: Im guessing you're one of the guys who's been around for 10+ years and think you're all high and mighty cause you started earlier than the new temps coming in.
Guess again

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:27 pm
So how about this.

I do see a valid point in what you are saying but remember just because a person accepts a job at the given rate does not mean that they can't fight for a difference....in our situation we do that through the union...if Canada Post was a private entity we could go up to the Boss and say "I am not happy with the pay for the work I am doing I would like a raise" We can't do that in a Union environment..we are bound by a contract which is now up for negotiation. I would love to be able to go in and give my reason I think I deserve a raise...that won't happen. Yes I agreed to the current rate when hired but I was also factoring in a possible raise for temps come contract time....if no raise you could see an already HUGE turnover rate become a disaster for Canada Post...I mean Temps do a lot of crap work for what is not going to be much over minimum wage in the near future.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4824 posts
1523 upvotes
Winnipeg
When did canada post put out their first offer last time?
Mar 22, 2012
578 posts
283 upvotes
By the River
My pay stub has no Federal Income Tax taken off.....anyone else have this??

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (4 members and 1 guest)

Progatron, gotwgoty, Kremorgan, TheGForce