[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11617 posts
3003 upvotes
GTA
Crazyhorse75 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 7:07 pm
My pay stub has no Federal Income Tax taken off.....anyone else have this??
Mine is normal.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 21, 2007
850 posts
390 upvotes
moncton
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 10:03 am
You don't choose the size, they'll send you the relevant sizes according to your measurements. If any of the items don't fit, you can exchange them.

Tip: add half an inch to your pant leg, as they're notorious for leaving them too short.
To place an order it goes by the measurements you enter but when you go to "check out" or finalize your order you can change the sizes to whatever you want.
Feb 17, 2017
10 posts
jonny_fishead wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:03 pm
To place an order it goes by the measurements you enter but when you go to "check out" or finalize your order you can change the sizes to whatever you want.
Thanks. Also, for each size (small, medium, etc) what do the letters in front mean ( ex. R-M, T-M)?
Mar 22, 2012
580 posts
287 upvotes
By the River
My pay stub has no Federal Income Tax taken off.....anyone else have this??
Hugh Jass wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:03 pm
Mine is normal.

This worries me!!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1735 posts
1284 upvotes
at the chiropractors
It used to be that a relief carrier made more than a top rate full time carrier (per hour). I believe that it should still be that way. Being a relief is twice as hard as having the seniority to "own your own route". And yes, I do have more than 10 years..... However, as for equal pay for equal work, I am of the mind set, that in GENERAL, a first year person in any job should be paid less than somebody with more years (experience). That would apply to that accountant and to the person flipping burgers. Wages should not only reflect a premium for experience, but also for LOYALTY.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Mar 24, 2016
561 posts
496 upvotes
scarborough
CanadaProud wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 1:43 pm
I do see a valid point in what you are saying but remember just because a person accepts a job at the given rate does not mean that they can't fight for a difference....in our situation we do that through the union...if Canada Post was a private entity we could go up to the Boss and say "I am not happy with the pay for the work I am doing I would like a raise" We can't do that in a Union environment..we are bound by a contract which is now up for negotiation. I would love to be able to go in and give my reason I think I deserve a raise...that won't happen. Yes I agreed to the current rate when hired but I was also factoring in a possible raise for temps come contract time....if no raise you could see an already HUGE turnover rate become a disaster for Canada Post...I mean Temps do a lot of crap work for what is not going to be much over minimum wage in the near future.
i agree that you should fight to make this better. However if they increase the wage to another $1 it should again be to every member of the union not just the newbie.

I think what we should be fighting for is to get all newbie up to the maximum level in less time not 7 years.
Dec 21, 2007
850 posts
390 upvotes
moncton
QuakerO wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:22 am
Thanks. Also, for each size (small, medium, etc) what do the letters in front mean ( ex. R-M, T-M)?
Pretty sure the T is tall. Not sure what the R would be.
Mar 18, 2018
3 posts
Transfer(relocation) to other province at Canada Post.

I have worked for Canadapost for about ten years. I am a full-time letter carrier in Winnipeg.

I plan to move to British Columbia soon. So I have some questions about relocation (transfer).

Questions:

1. When I apply for the transfer to BC depot, approximately how long will it take to get a position?
2. Once I get a position in BC, how many days are allotted for relocation? (e.g. two months)
3. I need to sell my home before going to BC. What if it takes longer than the allowed period time to transfer?
4. Which forms do I need to fill out?
Dec 8, 2017
92 posts
31 upvotes
No one can say how long it will take to get transferred. It will depend on where you want to go and the size of the depot.
You need to fill out a transfer form.
If you do get a offer for a transfer you will have one working day to answer yay or nay.
If you do not reply it will be considered a no.
The collective agreement does not say how long you have to get to your new installation only that they can fill the assignment with a temp till you get there. That is something to talk to with the staffing person when you do get a offer.
Look at art13:15.
Mar 18, 2018
3 posts
Postie2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 8:47 pm
No one can say how long it will take to get transferred. It will depend on where you want to go and the size of the depot.
You need to fill out a transfer form.
If you do get an offer for a transfer you will have one working day to answer yay or nay.
If you do not reply it will be considered a no.
The collective agreement does not say how long you have to get to your new installation only that they can fill the assignment with a temp till you get there. That is something to talk to with the staffing person when you do get a offer.
Look at art13:15.
I found this.
RSMC Transfer Rights : An employee who is the successful applicant for a vacant position will have up to two weeks to report to their new location if it is within 100 km of the installation that they currently work in and up to four weeks to report if it is more than 100 km from their current installation.

edit; I'm not RSMC. I guess the same rule applies to the urban letter carrier.
Yes, the collective agreement does not say about this.
Thank you.
Last edited by Jameschill on Mar 19th, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 18, 2018
3 posts
pike18 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2018 12:05 am
When I was in the plant for a few months, I worked a few different positions. All of them I found terribly boring because there is no end, just a punch clock.

I mainly worked on the dock, which was probably the best because you were able to do some different jobs sorting parcels/unloading. Downside to the dock is that it’s pretty physical and requires a lot of heavy lifting. Working in finals was like sorting a route that never ends. Working in mech requires keeping a pace and bending over to unload LFTs a lot.

I would’ve taken a pay cut to get back as an LC. Even though it’s physically demanding, I think it’s the best job within our union.
I have to agree with you here- 'I worked a few different positions. All of them I found terribly boring because there is no end, just a punch clock.'
Dec 5, 2013
186 posts
60 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 10:27 pm
So how about this.

if i owned a landscape business and i need 2 more people. I already have a staff of 5 earning about $26 an hour. so i hired 2 more people and i tell them they are going to earn $19 per hour and they accepted the job. Do a couple weeks go by and now they approach me and tell me they want to $26 like my original employee. what would you do as a business owner. those employees at accepted an $19 rate so why pay them for something agreed upon. At any point they could have said no $19 is not acceptable i need more but they accepted the job at $19 not $26.

people are focused at obtaining the job first and then argue what was negotiated at he beginning.

New employee for Canada post know the rate is $19 if they have a problem with it then dont apply.

What being said i would have left a long time ago working for $19. The rate i feel should be increases at a faster rate than 7 years but those were the conditions which are set upon new hires

Just my 2 cents. I owned at business before and i hired my people for it. a lot of people will agree to juts about anything just to get their foot in the door and then start with pay increases or i cant work weekends or i cant work evenings when at the interview it was all stated you will need to work those hours at that rate
condition changes man. 20 years ago,i u get paid $26 equals $80 dollars now. house in GTA is triple.Can you tolerate, you get paid $19 ,when 20 years later min wage increases to $29?. at that time,a cup of coffee cost $5 dollars. you spend time for this company and when you are old,they throw you away,when you can not find a another job?
Nov 18, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Hi all,

I am just wondering for those of you in on-call temp LC roles, how often are you being called to work now that Christmas rush is done? I will be working in the Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville area and wondering what to expect in terms of work hours. I got the impression during training that they needed us to start immediately once our training was done. But we were given no detail on how busy we might be? Can I still expect work throughout the summer months as I heard it's much slower then?

And anyone in these areas, are you called by a person for shifts or is a computer? I haven't been given direction about this either.

Thanks!
Mar 24, 2016
561 posts
496 upvotes
scarborough
firefireman wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 10:40 pm
condition changes man. 20 years ago,i u get paid $26 equals $80 dollars now. house in GTA is triple.Can you tolerate, you get paid $19 ,when 20 years later min wage increases to $29?. at that time,a cup of coffee cost $5 dollars. you spend time for this company and when you are old,they throw you away,when you can not find a another job?
again i agree

Conditions changes for everyone. The cost of living is more expensive has increase to everyone not just people that want the difference in pay increase. No i would not tolerate the B.S. for $19 per hour but thats your choice and only you can decide if you are willing to stick it out

Again i think we should all fight for a pay increase across the board not just people on a lower pay scale. I pay $76 per month in union dues just like you do and that should be considered as an investment for my future and you future equally.

Furthermore since day one since i started with Canada post this issue with seniority had always popped up. Along with seniority comes a large pay rate, better choice on routes, better choices on vacation time, better choices of bids on routes or jobs within the organization. From day one i listened to these posties with 15, 20, 25 yrs of seniority and i have respected that fact that that how things are done around her. YOU PUT IN YOUR TIME and someday good things will happen to you. I have had routes taken away from me from higher signority but that is how thing are. So when a newbie comes along and wants to start at the same level as me after putting in my dues i dont think its very fair.

The union should be fighting for OUR future not just mine or yours or the RSMC or the newbies but everones