Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jul 6, 2017
63 posts
34 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 3:43 pm
Just wait until next week , when Canadian Tire catalogues start. My back is starting to hurt, just thinking about it....
Tell me about it! I'm struggling to get my U-Lines out before those bastards show up.
Nov 18, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Can someone clearly explain the difference to me between a regular LC position and a relief position? Is the later referring to when you are covering a long term assignment for someone on leave? Or is it something else? Maybe I should know this. And why do ‘relief’ LC’s get paid a bit more? Thanks.
Jan 13, 2013
197 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Apr 5th, 2018 5:20 pm
That campaign would certainly get a lot of people to put up no flyer signs, however, don't expect our union to help with this. Like you said, they don't care about our workloads, especially if it will lead to decreased revenues for Canada Post. They are just like the company in the regards that dollars trump everything else. Being realistic, I too accept that we need to keep (or increase) revenues, but it shouldn't' come at insane dimensions for flyers. Revenues won't suffer much if we stopped delivering phone book sized catalogues. There should be more common sense involved here. It is the same as the fact that we don't need to start delivering fridges. We are not properly set up to do so, and revenues aren't everything....
This is exactly how I feel. I understand and can even appreciate the revenue flyers generate but it shouldn't be at the expense of overburdening the workers. If it makes CP so much money, they can hire the staff for the extra routes required for the workload. And to think... we are mere months into this new agreement ; the fridges will come.

Just once I'd like to see Palecek or our CEO spend a week in our shoes.
Last edited by biggerthanfun on Apr 5th, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for this. I recently found out that I am on the list I wanted to be on. So all is good.
Nov 18, 2017
13 posts
1 upvote
Pjtipps wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 8:02 pm
This is the form to change Temp Call in Lists. If you change zones as a temp you will be stuck in the new zone for a year ... unless you become permanent then you can transfer out before the one year requirement.
Download form here;
https://ibb.co/hPo97H
Sorry. My previous post was to thank you for the link. Much appreciated.
Apr 30, 2015
706 posts
481 upvotes
York, ON
Mogador wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 8:37 pm
Can someone clearly explain the difference to me between a regular LC position and a relief position? Is the later referring to when you are covering a long term assignment for someone on leave? Or is it something else? Maybe I should know this. And why do ‘relief’ LC’s get paid a bit more? Thanks.
Reliefs cover absences, be it someone calling in sick, vacation, disability, vacant routes, etc..

it pays more because it's the worst job
Apr 7, 2013
322 posts
111 upvotes
LONDON
tarjet wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 9:04 pm
Reliefs cover absences, be it someone calling in sick, vacation, disability, vacant routes, etc..

it pays more because it's the worst job
yep, very difficult job, especially if your new to a depot. The gap between regular carriers and relief should be around $3 IMO. Furthermore the gap between inside and outside workers should also be at least $3.Of course inside workers are CUPWs biggest supporters so this will never happen.
Aug 2, 2017
35 posts
2 upvotes
Any tips for the postal clerk interview? Also precisely what the position entails?
Oct 4, 2017
19 posts
Do term po4s get a uniform allowance? My supervisor told me a flat 'no'. However, there are at least 3 fellow terms who have just been given their yearly points. People at my plant have been super generous by giving me various uniform items, but I would like to get some crap on my own if at all possible ...
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4311 posts
1079 upvotes
Winnipeg
Apr 5th, 2018 3:43 pm
Just wait until next week , when Canadian Tire catalogues start. My back is starting to hurt, just thinking about it....
How many days?What did the National agree to? 3 days?
Notice most of flyers are now coming unfolded?? 8x10 flyers where you used to get 5 days and more money..now 3 days and less money.
TRULY PATHETIC CUPW
Dec 13, 2016
225 posts
35 upvotes
do terms get 'vacation pay' calculated as a percentage of their previous year's pay? Someone told me this today buts it been a long time since they were a term.
Jul 6, 2017
63 posts
34 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:13 am
How many days?What did the National agree to? 3 days?
Notice most of flyers are now coming unfolded?? 8x10 flyers where you used to get 5 days and more money..now 3 days and less money.
TRULY PATHETIC CUPW
Four day delivery, houses only. I have like 250 houses. Yay.
Dec 21, 2007
515 posts
189 upvotes
moncton
People here freak out over 8 sets. Can't imagine doing 20 with a catalogue. Which brings me to my question: If you know its going to take about 2 hours say to prepare them are you allowed to stop delivering mail/bring back a third to prepare the next days flyers. Lets say your day goes like this:

8am-10am sort/tie off/parcels
10am-12pm flyer prep
lunch
1-4:30 deliver flyer part
4:30-6 second part
6-6:30 supper
6:30-7 or whatever clean up parcels/clearences
7:30 arrive back at depot with the last third

So at that point can you stay and collate the next days flyers even though you brought back mail?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4311 posts
1079 upvotes
Winnipeg
VanMailMan wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 3:15 am
Four day delivery, houses only. I have like 250 houses. Yay.
Really??? Other catalogues used to be 14 days.
Jul 6, 2017
63 posts
34 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 8:47 am
Really??? Other catalogues used to be 14 days.
This is what we were told yesterday.
Combine this with our normal sets (I only have seven today) and typical Monday triple parcel volume and this Monday is going to be a real shit show.
At least it's supposed to rain here...

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

sbobcat