[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11244 posts
2659 upvotes
GTA
digisave wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 9:21 pm
what if you just need 1 or 2 days off, but is not Short Term Disability.
It's just a day without pay.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Nov 19, 2008
227 posts
33 upvotes
York
I pulled a neck muscle on friday (not while working) and it's still hurting today. I'll probably be out for a few more days, should I try to apply for short term disability or blow through my personal days? I'll be going to the doctors shortly.
Mar 26, 2007
520 posts
174 upvotes
Scarborough
If memory serve me right, I think they will ask you to use you personal day before the STD kick in.
Dec 8, 2017
67 posts
23 upvotes
digisave wrote:
Apr 8th, 2018 9:21 pm
what if you just need 1 or 2 days off, but is not Short Term Disability.
Depending on the reason you need the days off you can always try to get it paid under special leave Art 21.03
You cannot have any personal days in the bank and the time off is needed for something you can’t control. ( also not you being the one sick)

This clause has been in CA long before we had personal days and before we did, people used it if their kids were sick or the roads to work were closed due to a snow storm etc. This way people did not have to lie saying they were the one sick in order to get paid leave.

This leave is not easily granted but it is in the CA and could be worth a shot.
Dec 8, 2017
67 posts
23 upvotes
ttthai wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 7:25 am
I pulled a neck muscle on friday (not while working) and it's still hurting today. I'll probably be out for a few more days, should I try to apply for short term disability or blow through my personal days? I'll be going to the doctors shortly.
You have to use 5 personal days before STD kicks in. Once you have been approved for STD and you have no personal days left you can chose to use up some vacation time or comp time during this waiting time. See the doctor ASAP if you are thinking of going this route.
Jul 6, 2017
179 posts
134 upvotes
Maybe it's what you do on your personal days that leads to this STD business! ;)
Nov 19, 2008
227 posts
33 upvotes
York
Postie2 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 10:04 am

You have to use 5 personal days before STD kicks in. Once you have been approved for STD and you have no personal days left you can chose to use up some vacation time or comp time during this waiting time. See the doctor ASAP if you are thinking of going this route.
Thanks for the advice, i think i only have 3 personal days left not counting today. I wish i hadn't pulled my neck, i fell like this is a waste of personal days.
Nov 12, 2017
189 posts
185 upvotes
How long does the collective agreement usually take to negotiate?

It has technically expired for months...
Last edited by leyland1989 on Apr 9th, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1526 posts
1121 upvotes
at the chiropractors
leyland1989 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 7:05 pm
How does the collective agreement usually take to negotiate?

It has technically expired for months...
year to year and a half.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Nov 12, 2017
189 posts
185 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 7:26 pm
year to year and a half.....
I know it's not normal to think with logic while working here at Canada Post.
Ain't they supposed to start negotiating prior to the expiry date.... ?

I mean, the collective agreement is supposed to expire early this year and a new one should come in effect immediately after...
Isn't that the point of having an expiry date?
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
leyland1989 wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 8:23 pm
I know it's not normal to think with logic while working here at Canada Post.
Ain't they supposed to start negotiating prior to the expiry date.... ?

I mean, the collective agreement is supposed to expire early this year and a new one should come in effect immediately after...
Isn't that the point of having an expiry date?
Logic does not exist with Canada Post or CUPW. Sad but so true.
Jan 5, 2014
208 posts
226 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Lol, my kids use my personal days. I usually work sick so we have that buffer. I funnel my OT into that personal day time bank as well. Sure was nice to see the vacation time topped up again. Only 6 weeks to go!
Oct 13, 2004
71 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
They will grandfather us from the expiry date once new contract sets.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1583 posts
133 upvotes
onatrio
I have blue boxes next to my cmb sites...feel sorry who ever has to clear these blue boxes as now there full of the Canadian tire books...id say 90 percent of the people just threw there Canadian tire books in the blue box..what a waste