Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
My favorite part of the night? Lisa Raitt getting turfed. She was the one in charge of Canada Post when the cons screwed us over.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I think a sorting clerk just processes packets and turnaround for 8 hours a day. IE. my nightmare, the reason I will take personal time off instead of getting modified inside. No offense to OP but it's funny that they hire for that position, I know a few carriers who would happily take a tumble to ride the Reg train through Christmas.
Last edited by mikebc on Oct 22nd, 2019 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
Strong liberal minority that can be propped up by the bloc or the NDP on a case by case basis. That actually has a chance of lasting a while.
Aug 7, 2017
7 posts
Thank you.
I assume eclipse be a system that calls based on seniority??
Also can you pls clarify when will I get notified to show up to work?? Is it on same day??

Reason I ask is because since it’s on call, I may not be called for enough hours in a week and I am trying to find work part time somewhere else.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
timetotellthetruth wrote: My favorite part of the night? Lisa Raitt getting turfed. She was the one in charge of Canada Post when the cons screwed us over.....
That was truly awesome! Karma.
Mar 22, 2012
606 posts
334 upvotes
By the River
Well, we can all have our say now. Just received a Canada Post survey in the mail.
My only issue is in the top right corner it has a "unique identifier code"...that seems worrisome.
For me, I know questions 9-15 will all be strongly disagree!!
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
I was talking to my wife this morning about the election and she basicaly asked what canada post should do going forward.

I really think the union should be pro active and change tack. Instead of trying to save hypothetical jobs and expanding the workforce, the goal should be to save current jobs. Let natural attrition reduce jobs overtime, freeze hiring as much as possible and gradually start restructuring around that. That could be CMBs, street line mail boxes or whatever. That would make Canada Post more receptive and the government more receptibe and might be able to get some concessions like community banking built in.

The writing is kind of on the wall. There will be less mail. Instead of laying off a ton of people in 5 years or whatever, why not just get to that number over 5 years while restructuring to remain profitable.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
gotwgoty wrote: I was talking to my wife this morning about the election and she basicaly asked what canada post should do going forward.

I really think the union should be pro active and change tack. Instead of trying to save hypothetical jobs and expanding the workforce, the goal should be to save current jobs. Let natural attrition reduce jobs overtime, freeze hiring as much as possible and gradually start restructuring around that. That could be CMBs, street line mail boxes or whatever. That would make Canada Post more receptive and the government more receptibe and might be able to get some concessions like community banking built in.

The writing is kind of on the wall. There will be less mail. Instead of laying off a ton of people in 5 years or whatever, why not just get to that number over 5 years while restructuring to remain profitable.
Canada Post reports record revenues every year. You accidentally drank the blue koolaid when you woke up this morning. There never was a crisis, and nothing has changed but the types of products that we deliver....
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
They already did a hiring freeze and started conversion to enact exactly what you said. The public complained and the Liberals stopped it.

Now they'll probably resume PT restructuring since the Conservatives didn't get in.
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
mikebc wrote: They already did a hiring freeze and started conversion to enact exactly what you said. The public complained and the Liberals stopped it.

Now they'll probably resume PT restructuring since the Conservatives didn't get in.
He is kinda right though. Mail volumes are way less than they were 20 years ago and door to door for the most part is inefficient cost wise and health and safety too.
Our profits are virtually nothing compared to our revenue so eventually we will be forced to adapt to reality.

Why not have a progressive union and do it gradually before we are forced to in the future?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I agree, I was never against conversion or postal transformation.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote: Strong liberal minority that can be propped up by the bloc or the NDP on a case by case basis. That actually has a chance of lasting a while.
timetotellthetruth wrote: Canada Post reports record revenues every year. You accidentally drank the blue koolaid when you woke up this morning. There never was a crisis, and nothing has changed but the types of products that we deliver....
Companies don’t just keep doing things the same because they are making money mostly from something unrelated. Once they stop making money delivering mail, they will either deliver mail less so it’s profitable and/or use less people to deliver it and make even more money off it.

I guess we’ll see but I don’t think letter mail is done declining by a long shot.

My point is that this could be done on our terms gradually while protecting people who already work there or it can be done suddenly next time there is a conservative majority.
Last edited by gotwgoty on Oct 22nd, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
mikebc wrote: They already did a hiring freeze and started conversion to enact exactly what you said. The public complained and the Liberals stopped it.

I don’t necessarily think the conservatives had the wrong idea. I think it was intended to be done too quickly and they treated the union terribly.

You could achieve similar goals working together and paying everyone fairly and not forcing unfair arbitration.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
I think they should finish sequencing every depot then resume the push for CMB conversion if the numbers still trend down. The reason they stopped postal transformation was because they wanted to do both (cmb conversion, sequencing) at the same time and they needed a Conservative government to greenlight door to door removal.

By sequencing depots they'll only kill 1 in 5-10 walks, not 1 in 2 if they sequence and convert at the same time. Attrition will be easier to manage when you're only phasing out 10-20% of your work force over a 10 year period.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Otrosky101 wrote: He is kinda right though. Mail volumes are way less than they were 20 years ago and door to door for the most part is inefficient cost wise and health and safety too.
Our profits are virtually nothing compared to our revenue so eventually we will be forced to adapt to reality.

Why not have a progressive union and do it gradually before we are forced to in the future?
Profits are low by design. We are not a publicly traded company, and are only mandated to be self sufficient. If it was about profit, they don't need cuts, they could simply raise the parcel delivery prices to match the competition, instead of being way lower. And mail delivery is going down, and adjustments have always been made. That's why positions are generally lost in every restructure. Elimination of home delivery is overkill. PS. I also don't how inefficient it is when I already have to go to every 4th house with a parcel/packet anyway... Point is it is a public service and putting profit first should not be the goal. How many government services are "profitable"?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3307 posts
3849 upvotes
As far as I know only the price of stamps are government mandated, CP has free reign to adjust parcel prices to stay competitive. The for-profit Crown Corporation angle is always a slippery slope, yes there are only 3 profitable CCs in the books (the Mint, BDC and CP) but we as Canadians are still shareholders, why not push for more profit? We are a Capitalist country after all. Sure, excess profits get skimmed off so there is no real incentive to perform at a private level, but showing multi billion dollar revenue while reporting profits under $100 million does seem to be cutting it a little close. Perhaps if negotiations could be reached with the government that more profits are to be kept in house as bonuses then there would be incentive to push harder. Granted the CEOs already award themselves bigger bonuses than a whole depot's average wages then cry that we're broke, but I guess they're doing something to earn all that sweet taxpayer money /s
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: Profits are low by design. We are not a publicly traded company, and are only mandated to be self sufficient. If it was about profit, they don't need cuts, they could simply raise the parcel delivery prices to match the competition, instead of being way lower. And mail delivery is going down, and adjustments have always been made. That's why positions are generally lost in every restructure. Elimination of home delivery is overkill. PS. I also don't how inefficient it is when I already have to go to every 4th house with a parcel/packet anyway... Point is it is a public service and putting profit first should not be the goal. How many government services are "profitable"?
I actually agree with this but I also know that a party that disagrees will be in power sooner or later.

Edit: so if you negotiate with the party that is in power and is more sympathetic, you can get changes that are more gradual. You could also get some stuff that will just be lost if the changes are pushed down your throat like community banking.

I don’t know. I grew up in an era just after unions got raped by evil **** like thatcher and I don’t think that tide will ever turn back. I think we need allies.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3206 posts
2498 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote: As far as I know only the price of stamps are government mandated, CP has free reign to adjust parcel prices to stay competitive. The for-profit Crown Corporation angle is always a slippery slope, yes there are only 3 profitable CCs in the books (the Mint, BDC and CP) but we as Canadians are still shareholders, why not push for more profit? We are a Capitalist country after all. Sure, excess profits get skimmed off so there is no real incentive to perform at a private level, but showing multi billion dollar revenue while reporting profits under $100 million does seem to be cutting it a little close. Perhaps if negotiations could be reached with the government that more profits are to be kept in house as bonuses then there would be incentive to push harder. Granted the CEOs already award themselves bigger bonuses than a whole depot's average wages then cry that we're broke, but I guess they're doing something to earn all that sweet taxpayer money /s
And the fact that the ceo's give themselves big payouts while crying poor for everybody else is exactly why unions need to exist. Look, I am not communist, but capitalism has gone rampant....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
Carriers out east are delivering yellow pages on foot walks! 3¢ a piece. We can go electric vehicles and pretend to be environmentally sensitive while at the same time filling up customer blue boxes with useless junk.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)