Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11197 posts
2641 upvotes
GTA
CMT036 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 2:40 pm
Thanks @CanadaProud and @jmomccxx

The problem for our class is that the instructor didn't give us a chance for practice until day 4. As a result, we only had two days for practice (day 4 & 5). Then we are all heading to the shadowing training next week. So actually we won't have another chance for practice until the exam day. I talked to the instructors (actually we had two instructors in the past 5 days of in class training) about my concern, but she seems like not worrying about it. I just don't know where I can get the practice opportunity from.
You'll get more practice while training in the station. Come in a bit early and practice before your trainer gets there, he/she won't mind and in fact they'll be impressed. You'll be sorting larger items like magazines etc, so when you get back to the training centre, putting up only short&longs will feel very easy.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7253 posts
719 upvotes
Toronto
jmomccxx wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 10:58 am
In my experience, they do hold you to the 10 minutes and not sorting it all in 10 is an auto fail. You need to practice as much as possible. Most people in my class were down to 8/9 mins by the test. I did it in 8 and had half the case checked for accuracy by the time time was called. You’ll get much faster quickly.
The thing is, they don't really fail anyone u less ypu can't sort half the letters or make tons of mistakes.

In my class, only one person finished under 10 mins. Most of of us probably had 10-20 letters left and there was one guy who had done 75%. No one failed.

The instructor said every one passed. Some might get an evaluation a couple months down the road where they come down to your station and time and watch you sort to ensure you are at a decent speed.

Everyone learns at a different speed so they dint expect you to finish it all in under 10 mins. Relax and work on your accuracy.

As long as they see progress on youtr sort time and a commitment of trying, they will not fail you.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
PCDawg wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2018 7:43 pm
The thing is, they don't really fail anyone u less ypu can't sort half the letters or make tons of mistakes.

In my class, only one person finished under 10 mins. Most of of us probably had 10-20 letters left and there was one guy who had done 75%. No one failed.

The instructor said every one passed. Some might get an evaluation a couple months down the road where they come down to your station and time and watch you sort to ensure you are at a decent speed.

Everyone learns at a different speed so they dint expect you to finish it all in under 10 mins. Relax and work on your accuracy.

As long as they see progress on youtr sort time and a commitment of trying, they will not fail you.
In other words- they’re desperate for victims to do the job Face With Tears Of Joy
Sep 27, 2009
4 posts
Ahh now remembering how my class and me were so stress out trying to sort 120 letters and trying to get any extra time to practice sorting.
I didn't sort 120 letters in 10 minutes. I think I had 20 letters left but i was very sure I didn't missort any letters.
I think when they are desperate for people they are not going to fail you on just sortation test.
There are other things they are looking for such as how you do during on job training imo.
Dec 21, 2007
725 posts
331 upvotes
moncton
We didn't even do the sort test. Do they let you street sort for it? For me as a casual bouncing around I sort the easy stuff in and make a few piles on the desk for the difficult stuff like similar street names or whatever.
Oct 25, 2017
18 posts
7 upvotes
jonesyjones wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 3:42 pm
I 've been replacing a guy on progressive return this week. it paid 24 hours this week.
Now next week the temp under is getting 40 hours and the supervised says I'm stuck on this route because it's a contract.
What contract?? I never signed or agreed to that , they just told me what I was doing this week that's all.
Should I talk to the union about it or did they screw me?
anyone?
Dec 8, 2017
67 posts
23 upvotes
jonesyjones wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 9:23 am
anyone?
It is not a contract but an assignment. Usually you are on an assignment until bumped off by a now available relief or temp that finished a assignment and you are the most junior temp still working or when the route holder comes back.

The route holder has come back and that means it is no longer considered a long term assignment covered under art 17:06. It should be covered daily by offering extensions to part timers and overtime. Art 17:04 I realize the route holder is doing a sort or a section or something, but he is there working on his walk and it is not a known absent.

You will most likely have to get the union involved as it is simpler for the supervisor to staff it as he is.

There is nothing in the collective agreement that says senior temps should get offered assignments with more time values when they already have an assignment. Sometimes you do get stuck on ones with less time. I do think this time it is worth a try
Last edited by Postie2 on Jun 3rd, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 25, 2017
18 posts
7 upvotes
Postie2 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 10:10 am
It is not a contract but an assignment. Usually you are on an assignment until bumped off by a now available relief or temp that finished a assignment and you are the most junior temp still working or when the route holder comes back.

The route holder has come back and that means it is no longer considered a long term assignment covered under art 17:06. It should be covered daily by offering extensions to part timers and overtime. Art 17:04 I realize the route holder is doing a sort or a section or something, but he is there working on his walk and it is not a known absent.

You will most likely have to get the union involved as it is simpler for the supervisor to staff it as he is likes

There is nothing in the collective agreement that says senior temps should get offered assignments with more time values when they already have an assignment. Sometimes you do get stuck on ones with less time. I do think this time it is worth a try
Thanks a lot man
Dec 8, 2017
67 posts
23 upvotes
Your welcome
In the past we had a similar situation where a temp was coming in daily to cover 6 hours of a walk and the part timer was ticked because he couldn’t get even a section of it. That was until someone called the local president and we found out it had been staffed wrong all along.
Good luck.
Jul 6, 2017
165 posts
128 upvotes
CMT036 wrote:

The problem for our class is that the instructor didn't give us a chance for practice until day 4. As a result, we only had two days for practice (day 4 & 5). Then we are all heading to the shadowing training next week. So actually we won't have another chance for practice until the exam day. I talked to the instructors (actually we had two instructors in the past 5 days of in class training) about my concern, but she seems like not worrying about it. I just don't know where I can get the practice opportunity from.
I just straight up cheated! When I did the test we got one practice run and then the actual test run. Took my time to sort accurately for the practice, then I just pulled the mail out of the case in reverse order and put it back in for the test. I was done in about five minutes with 100% accuracy!
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
CMT036 wrote:

each instructor seems really different..our instructor let us either come in early or stay late every day and let us sort on breaks or lunches...but we can only speak to our own experiences I mean we lost 3 of 13 trainees before we were even tested because they out and out bailed...at my depot like every new temp we are getting are quitting before their name is even on the sign in sheet...and it is friggin spring!! I think a lot of people bail because you are strung out on a line with no help right out of the gate...you are last to leave the depot in morning and last to leave at night...all while making 7 bucks less an hour then the people bailing by noon....at least a factory job will give you your union breaks...and benefits lol...$19 an hour and zero benefits? hell McDonalds pays $14-15/hr with benefits....
May 17, 2018
10 posts
VanMailMan wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 12:38 pm
I just straight up cheated! When I did the test we got one practice run and then the actual test run. Took my time to sort accurately for the practice, then I just pulled the mail out of the case in reverse order and put it back in for the test. I was done in about five minutes with 100% accuracy!
I don't get it. Even if you practice once, then pull the mail out in reverse order for the test, you would still need to sort all of those mails in random order.

If I pull the mail out in the "same street name" order, that might help me for sorting the mail more efficient since I just need to focus one street at a time for a bunch mails with the same street name.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
I guess there is a ton of variability. We had to do it in ten with no more than 2 mistakes. It was pretty strict.
Jul 6, 2017
165 posts
128 upvotes
CMT036 wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2018 1:59 pm
I don't get it. Even if you practice once, then pull the mail out in reverse order for the test, you would still need to sort all of those mails in random order.

If I pull the mail out in the "same street name" order, that might help me for sorting the mail more efficient since I just need to focus one street at a time for a bunch mails with the same street name.
It was no longer random.
Aug 22, 2010
193 posts
82 upvotes
I wouldn’t worry about the sorting test that much. As long as your not super slow or inaccurate they will pass you. Everyone gets faster over time. High turnover= desperation for temps

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

Progatron