Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14631 posts
3358 upvotes
Vancouver
I’d be into that. But since it belongs to Canada it would be hard to justify the public IMO.
Jul 7, 2014
348 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Let the Minister of Labour know how you feel. Ultimately it's up to her if the extension is granted.
Patty Hajdu
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-soc ... hajdu.html

timetotellthetruth wrote: Elizabeth MacPherson
Elizabeth MacPherson has been in private practice as a mediator and arbitrator since 2015. She was Chair of the Canada Industrial Relations Board from 2008 to 2014 and served as Director General of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service from 1999 until her appointment to the CIRB. Elizabeth holds a B.A. in Industrial Relations from McGill University and an LL.B. and LL.M. from the University of Ottawa. In 2012, she was awarded the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee medal for her contribution to labour relations in Canada.

Tel: (506) 804-4724
Email: AthenaDRS@xplornet.com
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6312 posts
3088 upvotes
Manitoba
timetotellthetruth wrote: thanks, sent a note....
She can also force a vote

Vote on Employer’s Offer

Marginal note:Minister may order vote to be held

183 (1) If the Minister is of the opinion that it is in the public interest that the employees in a bargaining unit be given the opportunity to accept or reject the offer of the employer last received by the bargaining agent in respect of all matters remaining in dispute between the parties, the Minister may

(a) on any terms and conditions that the Minister considers appropriate, direct that a vote to accept or reject the offer be held by secret ballot as soon as possible among all of the employees in the bargaining unit; and

(b) designate the Board, or any other person or body, to be in charge of conducting that vote.
Last edited by airmail on Nov 19th, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
Otrosky101 wrote: Lol, union blew it. Had a good offer but held out to get green - vehicles, not dollars.

Can't blame the arbitrator, can you imagine the bs flowing from both sides???
This is nonsense. Come on.
Dec 20, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
Just became full time. What the hell is going on with the lack of anything? Stolen PDTs, battery shortage, too much mail or flyers, not enough man power for anything... everyday I’m playing catch-up yet the seniors come along finished in 3 hours.
Sep 19, 2004
745 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
guccimanilla wrote: Just became full time. What the hell is going on with the lack of anything? Stolen PDTs, battery shortage, too much mail or flyers, not enough man power for anything... everyday I’m playing catch-up yet the seniors come along finished in 3 hours.
Congrats

Just report the issues to your supervisor, then forget about it.

As for the senior finish quickly, you can too when you become senior, almost everyone has to go through this.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2474 upvotes
at the chiropractors
guccimanilla wrote: Just became full time. What the hell is going on with the lack of anything? Stolen PDTs, battery shortage, too much mail or flyers, not enough man power for anything... everyday I’m playing catch-up yet the seniors come along finished in 3 hours.
You haven't seen anything. You should have been here during the"forceback" years....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
That's the job we're paid to do. Whining doesn't make it easier. Hard work and perseverance will pay off. You too will finish earlier than you do now if you stick with it.
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
It's nice not to be on strike ruining our customers and our Christmas as we did last year. Interesting how busy it already is, getting daily and weekend parcel overtime.

To bad both sides are unable to get a deal without arbitration but any long term employee knows this is the sad reality of where we work.

No matter whos in power liberals or cons it's still seemingly impossible to get a negotiated deal with CUPW. We've changed governments, perhaps the problem lies with our union???
Feb 20, 2019
225 posts
121 upvotes
Some folks in the comments section on the CUPW page on FB are saying no OT is being paid for folks who come in on the weekend for parcel delivery. I haven't read anything with regards to that. Anyone hear something like that?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1491 posts
1032 upvotes
moncton
PavementPounder wrote: Some folks in the comments section on the CUPW page on FB are saying no OT is being paid for folks who come in on the weekend for parcel delivery. I haven't read anything with regards to that. Anyone hear something like that?
Probably casuals.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1491 posts
1032 upvotes
moncton
PavementPounder wrote: Some folks in the comments section on the CUPW page on FB are saying no OT is being paid for folks who come in on the weekend for parcel delivery. I haven't read anything with regards to that. Anyone hear something like that?
I was just reading the peak season plan on CUPW's site and it does say they won't be paying OT for weekend parcels.... for RSMCs
Feb 20, 2019
225 posts
121 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: I was just reading the peak season plan on CUPW's site and it does say they won't be paying OT for weekend parcels.... for RSMCs
Ah, gotcha. I'm not an RSMC but it does seem crazy that work done in the weekends by them won't be paid as OT. The union is okay with this?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
RSMCs have a different structure for parcels, always have. $1 per parcel plus kilometers I think.
Nov 24, 2017
127 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
Otrosky101 wrote: That's the job we're paid to do. Whining doesn't make it easier. Hard work and perseverance will pay off. You too will finish earlier than you do now if you stick with it.
We're paid to chase down missing equipment?

"Here's the route you need to deliver. It hasn't been done for a couple of days, that's why there's so much. Sorry, looks like someone from Wave 1 has stolen your PDT, and all of our spare batteries were stolen long ago and are now being hoarded by senior carriers. We have plenty of old batteries that last for about 15 minutes if you need them though. The vehicle for this route is in the shop right now, so here are the keys to a spare. Sorry, we have no idea where it's parked or what kind of condition it's in. They keys are here, but the vehicle itself might be at another depot for all we know. You definitely need a large dolly for parcels on this route, but unfortunately we have no spare dollies in the depot. We might have some old ones from WWII locked up in the back storeroom, but the staff member who has the key to that room is on holiday for a month. If you wander around this depot you've never been in before and ask some other supervisors, maybe they can scrounge up a PDT and a battery for you, you never know. Most of them will do their best to direct you elsewhere, however, so you're probably shit out of luck. Just remember to finish everything and don't bring any mail back. Ok? Better get going, it's already 1PM. Oh look, here's Bill from Wave 1 done for the day. Everything go ok with that one mailroom and one SLB today, Bill? Good man."
Jul 6, 2017
644 posts
686 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Bill's day isn't quite over...
Because of his high seniority he's able to take an emergency OT split and still get back before some of the lower seniority carriers on Wave 1.
"Hey Bill, don't sweat it. Just leave all your auto-carded DNCs and bundles of mail you didn't feel like doing at the case. The route owner will be so glad someone stepped in to finish!"
(If offered Bill will take city-wide OT as long as the depot is far enough away to maximize his travel time and minimize his delivery time.)
"Hey Bill looks like your name came up again for pre-shift tomorrow. You want it?"
Of course Bill accepts as he loves chucking a few parcels around and chatting with his buddies for $50 an hour. It's not cheap to keep oneself in food and drink on an eight-week vacation. Anyway, most part-timers and casuals will probably be at their second jobs already.
Jan 24, 2016
39 posts
22 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: We're paid to chase down missing equipment?

"Here's the route you need to deliver. It hasn't been done for a couple of days, that's why there's so much. Sorry, looks like someone from Wave 1 has stolen your PDT, and all of our spare batteries were stolen long ago and are now being hoarded by senior carriers. We have plenty of old batteries that last for about 15 minutes if you need them though. The vehicle for this route is in the shop right now, so here are the keys to a spare. Sorry, we have no idea where it's parked or what kind of condition it's in. They keys are here, but the vehicle itself might be at another depot for all we know. You definitely need a large dolly for parcels on this route, but unfortunately we have no spare dollies in the depot. We might have some old ones from WWII locked up in the back storeroom, but the staff member who has the key to that room is on holiday for a month. If you wander around this depot you've never been in before and ask some other supervisors, maybe they can scrounge up a PDT and a battery for you, you never know. Most of them will do their best to direct you elsewhere, however, so you're probably shit out of luck. Just remember to finish everything and don't bring any mail back. Ok? Better get going, it's already 1PM. Oh look, here's Bill from Wave 1 done for the day. Everything go ok with that one mailroom and one SLB today, Bill? Good man."
I'm vacation relief at a big depot. Lucky for me, I'm the highest seniority VR there, so I get the pick of all the routes on annual leave. Mostly things go well. But I still get lots of what you describe above. When that happens, I'll deal with the dead PDT, go find the van, make extra trips into the RPO 'cause I have no dolly, deliver my route AND clean up the leftover mail from last week. I refuse to leave a mess for the next guy on the route (I'll even gas up your damn van). I'll work my butt off - but I NEVER do it for free. I fill out my 15.08 forms and I log all my OT. When things are real messed up, I talk to my supervisors. Generally, they straight up tell me to log all my OT and "do what I can" with the added workload. I also make notes on my phone about EVERY discrepancy and issue in case anyone ever bitches about my OT, but in three years on the job I've never had a single issue. YMMV and all.

tl;dr - Will chase down missing equipment as long as I gets paid.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1116 posts
1011 upvotes
York, ON
ashbridge12 wrote: We're paid to chase down missing equipment?

This is so painfully true

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

OverallEffective