Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 12, 2011
530 posts
320 upvotes
downtown TO
This_is_your_Captain wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 8:15 pm
What are you guys talking about? Monday, July 2 is a stat holiday (since Canada Day falls on a Sunday). Am I misunderstanding something here?
At my depot here in Toronto, CP is offering overtime work to deliver parcels on Monday July 2. So if you sign up you will get paid doubletime, plus your holiday pay.
Dec 6, 2010
289 posts
67 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote:
Jun 29th, 2018 9:00 pm
At my depot here in Toronto, CP is offering overtime work to deliver parcels on Monday July 2. So if you sign up you will get paid doubletime, plus your holiday pay.
Not that long ago stores were closed on Sundays. Then stores started to operate on Sundays because people needed to be able to buy jeans and other consumer items on Sunday. Now, because it is 2018, we have companies conducting business on this country's main holiday (and the irony in this case is that it is a federally owned company). I guess some people feel being able to receive their junk ordered from Amazon on a stat holiday as some sort of 'progress'?
Jul 6, 2017
84 posts
47 upvotes
Jun 29th, 2018 9:28 pm
I guess some people feel being able to receive their junk ordered from Amazon on a stat holiday as some sort of 'progress'?
No, it's actually because if we don't deliver this "junk" on Monday then we will be completely overwhelmed on Tuesday.
There literally wouldn't be any room in most of the depots for all the parcels that need to be sorted and delivered. Even with Monday delivery Tuesday is still going to be a total shit show and most of us will be doing overtime on our own routes just to get through it!
Apr 12, 2011
530 posts
320 upvotes
downtown TO
Parcel volumes are just going up and up.. this is what the union should be focusing on. Wasn't there some plan for LCs to receive a set amount of parcels max per day, and anything over that would be given to a milk run?
I'm averaging 40-60 scannables per day, double that on a Monday. I'd imagine CMB routes are much higher. Just a couple years ago, 40-60 would be a lot for a Monday.
And it's only getting worse. I mean it's good for Canada Post profit-wise. But somethings gonna have to change, we can't be expected to just put up with these increasing parcel volumes every day. There's already no space at the depots, overage carts everywhere, the Transits don't even have enough room some days.. Something needs to change
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1214 posts
723 upvotes
at the chiropractors
VanMailMan wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 11:26 am
No, it's actually because if we don't deliver this "junk" on Monday then we will be completely overwhelmed on Tuesday.
There literally wouldn't be any room in most of the depots for all the parcels that need to be sorted and delivered. Even with Monday delivery Tuesday is still going to be a total shit show and most of us will be doing overtime on our own routes just to get through it!
^^^^This. Average Joe doesn't realize that the sorting plants and logistics work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Mondays are already out of control because the carriers only deliver Mon-Fri, but the parcels keep adding up over the weekend. Whenever there is a holiday, this just multiplies the mess again. Tuesday is going to be a disaster.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1214 posts
723 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Jun 29th, 2018 9:28 pm
Not that long ago stores were closed on Sundays. Then stores started to operate on Sundays because people needed to be able to buy jeans and other consumer items on Sunday. Now, because it is 2018, we have companies conducting business on this country's main holiday (and the irony in this case is that it is a federally owned company). I guess some people feel being able to receive their junk ordered from Amazon on a stat holiday as some sort of 'progress'?
On another note, consumers don't "need to buy jeans on a Sunday". The world got along just fine before Sunday openings...
Nov 12, 2017
74 posts
33 upvotes
Does anyone know how long does backfill for temp usually last and how it works?

I have just submitted a bid for 3 backfill positions,
do I get to know the end date when I win the bid and choose whether to accept it?

I have a prearranged vacation in October, I am afraid of scheduling conflict if I win the bid and accept it,
can I apply for non-paid leave for that instance?
Apr 7, 2013
417 posts
156 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 1:04 pm
^^^^This. Average Joe doesn't realize that the sorting plants and logistics work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Mondays are already out of control because the carriers only deliver Mon-Fri, but the parcels keep adding up over the weekend. Whenever there is a holiday, this just multiplies the mess again. Tuesday is going to be a disaster.
But there's no mail anymore....➡⬇Crying Face
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1214 posts
723 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 1:34 pm
But there's no mail anymore....➡⬇Crying Face
SO TRUE! And new CEO Jessica has been told to improve relations with the union. That's why we are once again on our way to a strike/ lockout ! "The more things change, the more they stay the same".
Apr 7, 2013
417 posts
156 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 1:49 pm
SO TRUE! And new CEO Jessica has been told to improve relations with the union. That's why we are once again on our way to a strike/ lockout ! "The more things change, the more they stay the same".
Yep Canada Post changed their leadership perhaps it’s time CUPW did the same?
Dec 6, 2010
289 posts
67 upvotes
VanMailMan wrote:
Jun 30th, 2018 11:26 am
I feel bad for you guys. Most people don't have an understanding/appreciation as to what you have to deal with daily. And all for $19.xx/hr.
Feb 17, 2017
29 posts
3 upvotes
oakville
totally agree with above comment again at ONLY 19.00 an hour and also feel sorry for those that live in the GTA trying to live off 19.00 an hour...where housing is expensive...great being a letter carrier in smaller places like windsor and making 19.00 there.....
Jul 1st, 2018 2:50 am
I feel bad for you guys. Most people don't have an understanding/appreciation as to what you have to deal with daily. And all for $19.xx/hr.
Apr 7, 2013
417 posts
156 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 9:25 am
Difference between educated and noneducated.
Do you realize Cupw have ex carriers and clerks negotiating the contracts and still lost in the 70s and 80s
Cmon we keep hearing the same bs every contract, our negotiatiors aren’t uneducated fools but at some point they have become part of the problem. Personally I could care less- i won’t spend 1 minute on a picket line in support of a union who’s strike pay is less than minimum wage despite millions and millions of dues collected.
Apr 7, 2013
417 posts
156 upvotes
LONDON
Not to mention it’s time to fix the wages. Letter carrier job gets harder and more stressful every year yet we are paid the same as inside workers? Unjust- and all LCs should make the same wage. Pay inside workers less and LCs the same hourly rate Thumbs Up Sign

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)