Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
This is in line with being told "you get time value to check the oil, it's your fault the engine seized" or "you delivered to a broken panel and it was broken into so here's your 24" as you show them the 3 month old edit book entry with a supervisor signature beside it.
Dec 20, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: We're paid to chase down missing equipment?

"Here's the route you need to deliver. It hasn't been done for a couple of days, that's why there's so much. Sorry, looks like someone from Wave 1 has stolen your PDT, and all of our spare batteries were stolen long ago and are now being hoarded by senior carriers. We have plenty of old batteries that last for about 15 minutes if you need them though. The vehicle for this route is in the shop right now, so here are the keys to a spare. Sorry, we have no idea where it's parked or what kind of condition it's in. They keys are here, but the vehicle itself might be at another depot for all we know. You definitely need a large dolly for parcels on this route, but unfortunately we have no spare dollies in the depot. We might have some old ones from WWII locked up in the back storeroom, but the staff member who has the key to that room is on holiday for a month. If you wander around this depot you've never been in before and ask some other supervisors, maybe they can scrounge up a PDT and a battery for you, you never know. Most of them will do their best to direct you elsewhere, however, so you're probably shit out of luck. Just remember to finish everything and don't bring any mail back. Ok? Better get going, it's already 1PM. Oh look, here's Bill from Wave 1 done for the day. Everything go ok with that one mailroom and one SLB today, Bill? Good man."
You just described my life for the past 6 months.

Except now they don’t give a shit how much mail you bring back. They’ve sold themselves out to every company that coughs at them for that sweet flyer money, so as long as you get that out, they sleep. They care about safety but don’t give a shit how heavy your personal or car load is. Here’s how to safely lift one box. Good luck on your 60 deliveries plus another 60 from your RPO clearance
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2473 upvotes
at the chiropractors
VanMailMan wrote: Bill's day isn't quite over...
Because of his high seniority he's able to take an emergency OT split and still get back before some of the lower seniority carriers on Wave 1.
"Hey Bill, don't sweat it. Just leave all your auto-carded DNCs and bundles of mail you didn't feel like doing at the case. The route owner will be so glad someone stepped in to finish!"
(If offered Bill will take city-wide OT as long as the depot is far enough away to maximize his travel time and minimize his delivery time.)
"Hey Bill looks like your name came up again for pre-shift tomorrow. You want it?"
Of course Bill accepts as he loves chucking a few parcels around and chatting with his buddies for $50 an hour. It's not cheap to keep oneself in food and drink on an eight-week vacation. Anyway, most part-timers and casuals will probably be at their second jobs already.
I still can't get over the fact that Bill works all the way until 1pm. He must be pretty slow or have a really crappy route for a senior guy..... Don't worry guys and gals, your day in the sun will come too.... Bill also started at the bottom at one point....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
May 30, 2019
190 posts
96 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: I still can't get over the fact that Bill works all the way until 1pm. He must be pretty slow or have a really crappy route for a senior guy..... Don't worry guys and gals, your day in the sun will come too.... Bill also started at the bottom at one point....
No Bill's in my Depot. Most people who finish early come in, focus on getting out, work through breaks and usually finish 2 hours before finishing time. That includes relief carriers who have done the routes before and use the cheat sheet provided by the regular carriers.

Whining won't make your day easier, and if it's so bad it's best to quit perhaps??
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
What do you do with basically destroyed mail?

Some mail got misdelivered (I think it was when I was on holiday but it could have been me... its just a lot got misdelivered when I was away). Anyway, the next door neighbor just left it out in the rain and I found it today.

Do I just deliver soaked and dirty mail?

I found it so weird. I’d have just left it next door or left it somewhere covered but whatever.
Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote: What do you do with basically destroyed mail?

Some mail got misdelivered (I think it was when I was on holiday but it could have been me... its just a lot got misdelivered when I was away). Anyway, the next door neighbor just left it out in the rain and I found it today.

Do I just deliver soaked and dirty mail?

I found it so weird. I’d have just left it next door or left it somewhere covered but whatever.

Get one of those “sorry we damaged your mail/parcel” bags from your supervisor and stick it in there.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
icexman83 wrote: Get one of those “sorry we damaged your mail/parcel” bags from your supervisor and stick it in there.
Ah ok. They are going to be pissed. I’m not even sure if it’s legible.
Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
If it’s an important piece of mail and not legible I would rts it so the sender could send another one.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
icexman83 wrote: If it’s an important piece of mail and not legible I would rts it so the sender could send another one.
The address is legible but I’m guessing inside is mostly not. It’s just bank statements by the looks of it.
Aug 22, 2010
241 posts
113 upvotes
gotwgoty wrote: The address is legible but I’m guessing inside is mostly not. It’s just bank statements by the looks of it.
If it’s just a bank statement I would just stick it in that bag and deliver it. Up to you or ask your supervisor how to proceed.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13458 posts
4616 upvotes
GTA
trellaine201 wrote: Great news *rolls eyes* the minister of labor is a different person now! Ugh

Filomena.Tassi@parl.gc.ca

I sent her a welcome email ;) and you should to.
The Minister of Public Services and Procurement and Accessibility is the minister responsible for Canada Post, just named today, Anita Anand. She happens to be in my riding and I actually voted for her. Had a 30 second chat with her pre-election and she seems to be a very level-headed and fair person, but we all know how politicians are.......

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2015
1116 posts
1011 upvotes
York, ON
Anyone thinking there's still going to be those walks in 20 years is insane. Theyre already basically gone in most major cities. Like everything else, the boomers have **** this up too.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
Generally our only hope of getting them is to luck out as a floating relief when an injury happens or after a station restructure when an LTA LC happens to grab a great route without even looking at it. Why anyone under 10 years would intentionally bid on a shit walk is beyond me but I understand some people like the stability. Doing LTA covers for the RLC wage bump is nice and sometimes lower seniority people do bid and win half decent walks or diamonds in the rough that people think are bad but can actually be done quite quickly. Sometimes those 120 pull headers are misleading and are actually pretty easy to bang out once you adjust the line of travel.

On the plus side, I've noticed senior LCs are really bad at picking routes after a restructure. Most of them hear about a good area or a good route someone retired on and just cycle into it. When we switched to PT there were half a dozen amazing wave 2 routes that went to people under 15 years in since all the high seniority people went with wave 1 business routes. Most high seniority people are also really scared about moving to a different route, even if they hear it's better than what they've got. I guess it's something about learning a new case that just puts them off, or they're happy finishing 2 hours early (or soaking 15.08 everyday because they're on a pig). The devil you know, I guess.

So next restructure I'm keeping my mouth shut when every 30 year LC asks me what to bid on.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
I would say I got a diamond in the rough. There was a restructure in the zone that added almost ten routes and a ton of stuff became available at the same time. My route seems tricky but can be done in 6 hours pretty easily. It's nowhere near the best route but it's definitely middle third which I shouldn't have gotten as I'm probably lowest seniority to own a walk.

I thought about going back to RLC because it's more money and I probably have enough seniority to get decent picks, however the stability of owning a route is great if you want to grind OT. One thing I noticed in my station is that walk arounds can be done quite qucikly as they get very little mail and parcels but no one wants to do them. Some walkaround heavy walks are quite good.
Dec 20, 2016
25 posts
13 upvotes
With a seniority of 6 months am I better off just not bidding? At what point of seniority am I actually able to win a bid (on a walk that’s not too terrible)?
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
Bid on everything you know to be half decent. Your chances are minimal but some routes do get a bad reputation because the old carrier made it look hard, not because it is hard. Just keep in mind you lose $.80/hr by owning a route.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2473 upvotes
at the chiropractors
guccimanilla wrote: With a seniority of 6 months am I better off just not bidding? At what point of seniority am I actually able to win a bid (on a walk that’s not too terrible)?
Depends on how you feel about being a relief. I would personally prefer to own a crappy route than to be relief and not know half of the routes and where I will be day to day (unless you got a long term assignment). Once you have a route, you can create shortcuts etc, that will make every day better! You can also bid on "better routes" afterwards anyway. Oh, and always bid every month on routes you want. Sometimes people with next to no seniority can "steal" a route because nobody bids.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)