Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Apr 20, 2013
257 posts
100 upvotes
CheapoChick wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 10:57 am
Just completed the GAT test...anyone know how long it will take to receive the results?
If you are too lazy to read the first 3 pages of this mega-thread, you are WAY too lazy to be a Letter Carrier.

**Edit - since I didn't actually answer the question - No. Nobody knows that. It varies, quite a bit.
Last edited by digression on Jul 6th, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 12, 2010
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
digression wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:40 pm
If you are too lazy to read the first 3 pages of this mega-thread, you are WAY too lazy to be a Letter Carrier.

**Edit - since I didn't actually answer the question - No. Nobody knows that. It varies, quite a bit.

Those first 3 pages are from 2008. I highly doubt the procedures are currently the same as they were 10 years ago. But YES I was too lazy to scroll through 1409 pages to find a more recent answer.

In an "ask me" thread, I think it is safe to assume I am not wrong to ask a question...but thanks for your snarky response to a stranger on the internet.
Jul 12, 2010
28 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
digression wrote:
Jul 6th, 2018 9:40 pm

Please show me where in the first 3 pages it says how long it takes to receive a response after completing the GAT?
Apr 12, 2011
512 posts
277 upvotes
downtown TO
CheapoChick wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 3:14 pm
Please show me where in the first 3 pages it says how long it takes to receive a response after completing the GAT?
You're right.. this IS an AMA thread. Any questions asked, even if already answered somewhere in these 1400+ pages, are acceptable people!
So to answer your question, as 'digression' already mentioned.. the timelines vary widely from a few days to a month plus..
My personal experience (5 years ago) was I completed the GAT, they told me I passed on the spot, and then I got a phone call about a week later asking me to come in for an interview.
Others here have waited much longer. So it varies... Good luck!
May 13, 2018
4 posts
I waited about 6 weeks in Hamilton but after that it was 1 week for the personal interview and physical. Rec'd an offer the following Friday. Long wait for the GAT but moved very fast after that. Good luck!
Apr 20, 2013
257 posts
100 upvotes
CheapoChick wrote:
Jul 7th, 2018 3:00 pm
thanks for your snarky response to a stranger on the internet.
I agree... I was snarky.

I replied on a Friday night. There was a heat wave advisory for most of the week. I walked over 150Km that same week, with a loaded satchel. I was exhausted/dehydtrated/frustrated etc. None of which was your fault. But it's still the truth.

Perhaps you could take it upon yourself to browse a few pages of text from the comfort of your chair.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. Good luck! :D
Jan 5, 2014
196 posts
187 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Who says you need to read 8 years worth or forum talk, search the keyword and you find it all. If you are not a self starter and able to find solutions on your own you will have a tough time pushin mail. It comes off as lazy to me when I see that question asked and not a good sign heading into a job that destroys laziness. Sorry to laugh but the amount of turnover I see is comical with every new season of Terms.

Apr 7, 2013
328 posts
112 upvotes
LONDON
Slotstuffer wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:02 am
Who says you need to read 8 years worth or forum talk, search the keyword and you find it all. If you are not a self starter and able to find solutions on your own you will have a tough time pushin mail. It comes off as lazy to me when I see that question asked and not a good sign heading into a job that destroys laziness. Sorry to laugh but the amount of turnover I see is comical with every new season of Terms.

Your being mean, people just have been misled for years that we letter carriers work a 4 hour day- so of course when they start their shocked at how bloody difficult the work is. Thats why most quit, or go to the plant or become shop stewards.
Jan 13, 2013
197 posts
72 upvotes
Vancouver
Slotstuffer wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:02 am
Oh please. We walk around putting things in boxes. Only self starting solution finders who properly use search functions need apply...or those with a high school education , a clean criminal record, and a driver's license. The quitters are lacking a lot more than self motivation.

If you're relatively fit and you stick with it, you'll figure out your own way to organize and be successful in a few months.

It's comments like these, patting ourselves on the back for doing an impossible job is what makes the public have disdain for us come contract time.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4313 posts
1079 upvotes
Winnipeg
Looks like the union is playing the same game as last time
Strike vote

The strike vote, which must take place before parties obtain the right to strike or lockout, will take place from August 7 to September 9, 2018. Stay tuned to find out the dates of your local strike vote. They should be announced soon. Your participation in this very important vote is key to our success.
Apr 7, 2013
328 posts
112 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:55 pm
Looks like the union is playing the same game as last time
Strike vote

The strike vote, which must take place before parties obtain the right to strike or lockout, will take place from August 7 to September 9, 2018. Stay tuned to find out the dates of your local strike vote. They should be announced soon. Your participation in this very important vote is key to our success.
CUPW is obviously doing their best to make sure we can get less money for delivering flyers. Thanks for the good work union negotiators Pouting Face
Jan 5, 2014
196 posts
187 upvotes
Addresses are hard..…
Relax... I'm not patting myself on the back. If your not relatively fit your lazy, if you can't manage your time your probably lazy. You are on a boat by yourself at CP and often the union is no help and neither is the company. Many times it is up to you to find out how this place operates. (Forms, payroll issues, lack of proper training, different supervision every week are just few reasons you will have to find an answer yourself). How many of us ask for a solution to an issue on our route and it never gets resolved?

Anybody can do this job it is in no way impossible, you don't have to have a high school education even, but I tell you this if your lazy you will fail.

I manage multiple forums and see this ask someone rather than look it up first behavior often. Just like the news these days, people are to lazy to read back and get facts or they rather take the word of the first reply/comment they come across. I get annoyed by that behavior hence my response.

I highly doubt the public is swayed into a negative opinion of posties by my desire to call out laziness. The public is swayed via constant negative news articles usually due to lazy posties or poor management leading to inconsistent delivery standards. (Overburdened)

Sometimes the truth hurts.... I believe one of us has that as a signature here.
Aug 12, 2017
154 posts
44 upvotes
biggerthanfun wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 9:39 pm
Oh please. We walk around putting things in boxes. Only self starting solution finders who properly use search functions need apply...or those with a high school education , a clean criminal record, and a driver's license. The quitters are lacking a lot more than self motivation.

If you're relatively fit and you stick with it, you'll figure out your own way to organize and be successful in a few months.

It's comments like these, patting ourselves on the back for doing an impossible job is what makes the public have disdain for us come contract time.

hmm I disagree with this statement although for myself I started the first Tuesday after the Nov. long weekend and was given a full route (PT transformed depot all CMB delivery) ..for myself I almost quit several time that first month and I have never been averse to hard work...but one thing I have always hated is working for a poorly run organization...I have worked many jobs where some management was useless however I had never worked a job where management has not "had your back" to start you off and be there if needed when you were learning the ropes....you stick rookies out in middle of winter for 12-13 hours with a PDT that dies after 10 hours....supervisors all left the depot by 3pm and when you bring back a ton of mail they just give it back to you the next day...so by midweek you have double the amount to deliver as everyone else in the depot and supervisor tell you..well just make sure you deliver all the ad-mail and all the scannables….Meanwhile now that it has become summer I see 10 year vets transfer in and supervisor take whole sections and pick ups off for them until they get used to their new route??? how is that a well working environment? meanwhile us temps make like $8/hr less for working new route every week and getting benched for weeks at a time? Remember any other job is making a minimum $14/hr with benefits....we make $19/hr with no benefits and no guarantee of hours....it is not laziness making every quit..it is piss poor backing to learn the job followed by realization you might be stuck at same rate with no benefits for years before you get raises...the next temp in my depot for even part time has been there almost 4 years now...and last 2 spots open went to transfers with 10 plus years....I am stuck having to decide to transfer to a bigger depot (Kitchener or Hamilton) just to try and speed up my hiring to permanent....pretty sub-standard wages/benefits for having a Union this many years.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

stalbert1