Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 16, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
When a p04 permanent casual's back fill ends are they allowed to bump the most junior po4 permanent casual on a back fill?
Dec 8, 2017
164 posts
73 upvotes
MattC74520 wrote: When a p04 permanent casual's back fill ends are they allowed to bump the most junior po4 permanent casual on a back fill?
Yes

44.15 Bumping Rights
A temporary employee who has been assigned to cover a regular position shall be permitted, subject to qualifications and upon completion of such assignment, to bump the most junior assigned employee within the appropriate call-in list.

And this

44.13 Allocation of Work Assignments of Twenty (20) Days or More
Provided he or she is fully qualified and trained to perform all relevant duties, a temporary employee may exercise his or her seniority to obtain an assignment or to transfer to another assignment within the appropriate call-in list, where the assignment is for a known period of twenty (20) days or more, and where the Corporation would have called in another temporary employee to cover such an assignment.
In the latter case, the remainder of the assignment from which he or she has transferred may be performed by the most senior unassigned temporary employee on the appropriate call-in list.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
So my 2nd class domestic packet was dropped off in downtown Toronto last Friday with a check in scan at 1:00 PM. It didn't get processed in Mississauga until Monday at 9 PM which leads me to believe it missed its Friday RPO clearance. The tracking has gone dark since that last scan, whereas it should've checked in at Richmond on Tuesday afternoon. At this point I'm thinking it's lost unless anyone can give me a glimmer of hope and tell me Gateway is massively backed up. Based on our parcel volume it seems like we haven't reached seasonal volumes yet aside from Mondays.

Thoughts?
Jan 16, 2019
17 posts
1 upvote
Postie2 wrote: Yes

44.15 Bumping Rights
A temporary employee who has been assigned to cover a regular position shall be permitted, subject to qualifications and upon completion of such assignment, to bump the most junior assigned employee within the appropriate call-in list.

And this

44.13 Allocation of Work Assignments of Twenty (20) Days or More
Provided he or she is fully qualified and trained to perform all relevant duties, a temporary employee may exercise his or her seniority to obtain an assignment or to transfer to another assignment within the appropriate call-in list, where the assignment is for a known period of twenty (20) days or more, and where the Corporation would have called in another temporary employee to cover such an assignment.
In the latter case, the remainder of the assignment from which he or she has transferred may be performed by the most senior unassigned temporary employee on the appropriate call-in list.
If I'm a shift 1 casual currently on a shift 3 backfill, when my assignment ends am I then allowed to bump the most junior casual on a back fill on shift 3(the shift I was backfilling) or shift 1(my actual assigned shift). Or is it the most junior casual in the building ?
Jul 6, 2017
644 posts
686 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: So my 2nd class domestic packet was dropped off in downtown Toronto last Friday with a check in scan at 1:00 PM. It didn't get processed in Mississauga until Monday at 9 PM which leads me to believe it missed its Friday RPO clearance. The tracking has gone dark since that last scan, whereas it should've checked in at Richmond on Tuesday afternoon. At this point I'm thinking it's lost unless anyone can give me a glimmer of hope and tell me Gateway is massively backed up. Based on our parcel volume it seems like we haven't reached seasonal volumes yet aside from Mondays.

Thoughts?
Hi Mike,
I'm now a PT PO4 and much more familiar with the mail stream than I was as a LC.
I don't know about all regions but where I work now it used to be that all parcels and packages inducted at RPOs or otherwise cleared, were just all thrown together in tubs regardless of what kind of postage/service, and taken to the processing facility.
The clerks would receive them in tubs or monos and then manually sort them by destination and service. (XPressPost Regional, 2nd Class National etc.).
A couple of months ago the system was changed. Now there are pre-tagged containers for the packages to be collected in and pre-tagged monos they go into at the processing centre. This is supposed to streamline the process, making it simpler and faster. The problem is...we no longer look through the containers to make sure everything is in the correct place and going to the correct sorting facility. So, theoretically your packet, which should have been put in a National container and gone into a National mono, could have been put in a Regional container at Mississauga and gone on the wrong truck...or some such screw up.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2473 upvotes
at the chiropractors
https://www.cupw.ca/en/arbitration-both ... agreements

I completely understand that this is not the unions fault (or really the company's either), however, I have still yet to see an answer to my only, and common sense question..... Why is the name of everything Holy, do they only meet with the arbitrator a couple times a month. There are at least 20 business days in every month..... do they need the other 17 to do laundry?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
Hope everyone is still doing fine.

I left Canada Post about half a year ago, and it seems to me that little to no progress has been made on signing the new collective agreement.

I wonder if the new contract comes with a wage increase, will I get a cheque from CPC for the wage difference that I have worked between the date I quit and the last contact expired.

I know it's retroactive for you guys, but for those who had jumped out of this dumpster fire, are we SOL?

It's not going to be a lot but money is money, I wouldn't mind an extra few hundreds.
Nov 20, 2004
837 posts
1203 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi all. It's been discussed but need some clarification for switching from relief to route owner.

I confirmed with AccessHR that my anniversary raise date is in Jan. I'm currently a relief and I think I have a good chance for this bid cycle on getting a route. Going from relief to route owner, does my anniversary date reset? As per AccessHR, anniversary date resets only apply to "promotions". Is relief > route owner considered a promotion?
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2010
1613 posts
822 upvotes
toronto
were you a letter carrier,,,im guessing becaus eof the BS at canada post..do you regret leaving,,and are you happier with your new job...just curious
leyland1989 wrote: Hope everyone is still doing fine.

I left Canada Post about half a year ago, and it seems to me that little to no progress has been made on signing the new collective agreement.

I wonder if the new contract comes with a wage increase, will I get a cheque from CPC for the wage difference that I have worked between the date I quit and the last contact expired.

I know it's retroactive for you guys, but for those who had jumped out of this dumpster fire, are we SOL?

It's not going to be a lot but money is money, I wouldn't mind an extra few hundreds.
No advertising in avatars or sigs
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2010
2033 posts
1648 upvotes
flameboy54 wrote: Hi all. It's been discussed but need some clarification for switching from relief to route owner.

I confirmed with AccessHR that my anniversary raise date is in Jan. I'm currently a relief and I think I have a good chance for this bid cycle on getting a route. Going from relief to route owner, does my anniversary date reset? As per AccessHR, anniversary date resets only apply to "promotions". Is relief > route owner considered a promotion?
Your raise date will stay January as long as you stay route owner. If you do decide to become Rlc again , that’s when your anniversary date changes.
“There are the people who don’t know, and the people who don’t know that they don’t know”- Treva84
Nov 12, 2017
199 posts
195 upvotes
your best bet wrote: were you a letter carrier,,,im guessing becaus eof the BS at canada post..do you regret leaving,,and are you happier with your new job...just curious
No,

I was one of those "Lazy Plant workers who are overpaid to do nothing at all".
I quit because it wasn't sustainable for me to stay on-call or part-time for 20 years.

Although I have been on back-fill and getting calls everyday, I'd rather have a stable full-time job than having two part-time jobs.
It might not be apple to apple comparison, I know letter carriers are underpaid and have a much more difficult job and higher workload than PO4.

I find working in the private sector (some European MNC) is much less toxic than the bureaucracy and union culture at Canada Post.
I get paid less per hour, work is 4 times as hard but at least I can see some light at the other end of the tunnel, I make more overall (for being full time) and better benefits.

It was very depressing and demotivating when I was trying to do my job well and people laughing at me for "working so hard", and get angry at me for "taking away their overtime".
I do miss the OT I get during christmas. The money was nice, and that's about it.
Dec 20, 2016
41 posts
21 upvotes
Thanks for all the great responses I'm been getting here.

What's been on my mind recently is whether or not working for Canada Post is a worthwhile career, or if I should use it as a stepping stone to other things. I don't mind being a letter carrier, and the pay sure as hell beats minimum but I feel room for making a serious living isn't that great. In training they told us our pay would only max out at 25 or 26? Which is pretty disappointing. Hoping that once CUPW has a deal, things like this could change...
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6312 posts
3088 upvotes
Manitoba
guccimanilla1 wrote: Thanks for all the great responses I'm been getting here.

What's been on my mind recently is whether or not working for Canada Post is a worthwhile career, or if I should use it as a stepping stone to other things. I don't mind being a letter carrier, and the pay sure as hell beats minimum but I feel room for making a serious living isn't that great. In training they told us our pay would only max out at 25 or 26? Which is pretty disappointing. Hoping that once CUPW has a deal, things like this could change...
Unfortunately CUPW has been giving away benefits year after year, so don’t expect any huge increases in the future. Urban carriers took around a 3k haircut on flyers alone last year.

Purolator and UPS have had huge gains over the past few years. If you can afford to start out at a lower wage, there final wage is almost 5$ more an hour and pretty well the same benefits. There union is focused on wages and not hybrid vehicles
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
you would think Canada post wage would increase with atleast with inflation....it is not happening unfortunately,,so if you are concerned about wager,,look else where,,but I would not be surprised if our wages do get cut, as I can see Canada post saying to be competitive, your wage has to be lower
guccimanilla1 wrote: Thanks for all the great responses I'm been getting here.

Dec 20, 2016
41 posts
21 upvotes
airmail wrote: Unfortunately CUPW has been giving away benefits year after year, so don’t expect any huge increases in the future. Urban carriers took around a 3k haircut on flyers alone last year.

Purolator and UPS have had huge gains over the past few years. If you can afford to start out at a lower wage, there final wage is almost 5$ more an hour and pretty well the same benefits. There union is focused on wages and not hybrid vehicles
Yeah. I'll have to start looking elsewhere soon. I mean the job pays the bills, and they are pretty fair about overtime, but the extreme gap between me and "3-hour Bill", and all the BS, isn't worth the few years of seniority I'll have to get before the job isn't complete garbage (for peanuts).
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2473 upvotes
at the chiropractors
guccimanilla1 wrote: Yeah. I'll have to start looking elsewhere soon. I mean the job pays the bills, and they are pretty fair about overtime, but the extreme gap between me and "3-hour Bill", and all the BS, isn't worth the few years of seniority I'll have to get before the job isn't complete garbage (for peanuts).
aaaaaaaand now you know why the quit rate for new hires is so high. You are hardly alone in your thinking. Ps. It used to be that the new reliefs got paid a premium that was HIGHER THAN THE TOP WAGE. And the retention rate was much greater. Who woulda thunk?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Banned
Jun 17, 2009
1765 posts
181 upvotes
onatrio
just got a referral from the doctors for orthotics
- forgot the process,,,im guessin go to your wellness place and get your foot shped for othotics....do we pay first and than submit receipt to great west life or is it automatically done at well ness place
thanks
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
Another benefits question.

I have some social anxiety that waxes and wanes and is full on waxing right now. I figure I should finally do something about it.

Anyone get therapy via benefits? I saw somewhere that we have a 2k limit? How does the process work?
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
dcjcdc wrote: just got a referral from the doctors for orthotics
- forgot the process,,,im guessin go to your wellness place and get your foot shped for othotics....do we pay first and than submit receipt to great west life or is it automatically done at well ness place
thanks
Orthotics have to be prescribed for an ailment, not symptom. Most GP’s get this wrong and it will be denied every time. So, “back pain”, won’t cut it. I found it’s easier to cut out the middle man and go straight to a podiatrist, who can prescribe themselves. My podiatrist did a consult, created a mold and submitted an estimate for both an orthotic and orthopaedic shoes. Once it was approved, the turn around time was about two weeks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

timetotellthetruth