Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
Even there are two unions as you wish, You think the po4 union would accept the backward 19 dollars for the inside workers? With they are on strike /lockout,
you think you have mail to deliver?
I could see how you leadership skill would lead us to, same strike/lockout situation as now. Nice try!
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
stalbert1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 4:10 pm
Couldn’t stomach sitting around watching the clock and then having to eat lunch with a 400lb slob. No thank you.
Pros and Cons on both side as I said, graveyard shifts rely on sleeping pills, watching by stupidvisors every seconds, increasing parcels volumes and weight . safety shoes and vest, loading/offload the trailer 40+ degree or -10, See your family Staurday only because Sunday is your first day of the week. Then sitting around watching the clock. The grass is always greener.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
sbobcat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 4:11 pm
Even there are two unions as you wish, You think the po4 union would accept the backward 19 dollars for the inside workers? With they are on strike /lockout,
you think you have mail to deliver?
I could see how you leadership skill would lead us to, same strike/lockout situation as now. Nice try!
The inside workers would have no choice- they’d be locked out until they accept the industry’s standard wages. Thus LCs could get paid more than Purolator since our job is more difficult than there’s. But heh let’s strike for those electric charging stationsFace With Tears Of Joywhat a bunch of fools
Apr 12, 2011
665 posts
534 upvotes
Etobicoke
sbobcat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 4:19 pm
Pros and Cons on both side as I said, graveyard shifts rely on sleeping pills, watching by stupidvisors every seconds, increasing parcels volumes and weight . safety shoes and vest, loading/offload the trailer 40+ degree or -10, See your family Staurday only because Sunday is your first day of the week. Then sitting around watching the clock. The grass is always greener.
Thing is, the grass IS greener for indoor workers. That is why you need 20+ years seniority to get a FT position in there, because it's the cushy Canada Post job where you work at a snails pace doing almost nothing, but get all the same benefits.
Sure, the graveyard shift sucks and the trailers get hot, parcels are heavy.. but let's be honest: these jobs are given to the lowest seniority/part time workers.
Being watched by supervisors, the increase in parcels, wearing a vest, these are all applicable to LCs as well... Along with a bunch of other factors that make the LCs job way more demanding than working at the plant.
Sitting around and watching the clock was the most painful aspect of working at the plant, for me at least.. But it just shows that there isn't much of a workload given to plant workers..
As an LC, there are days where I'm still delivering mail after working my 8 hours, tired and soaked in sweat, watching people coming home from work at their regular time.
Then I get back to the station and see 6 sets of flyers that I have to prep for the next day. Next morning, supervisor is interrogating me about my OT form, and 1 parcel out of 90 that a customer claimed they never received.. Grass is greener on the inside.

And I'm all for inside workers being in the same union as LCs, I just think that CUPW could do a better job fighting for LCs and their issues.
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
That is why I agree LC should be paid more but just can't be done with backward 19 for the po4. Less the area coverage is another way for LC workers since the continue increasing parcels/junk mails is too much for the route initial to design for nowadays.
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
stalbert1 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 4:52 pm
The inside workers would have no choice- they’d be locked out until they accept the industry’s standard wages. Thus LCs could get paid more than Purolator since our job is more difficult than there’s. But heh let’s strike for those electric charging stationsFace With Tears Of Joywhat a bunch of fools
You think CPC wouldn't negotiate two contracts at the same time so the one side would get pay with no mail to sort/deliver. They are not that stupid. And if they could get away with 19 for inside workers they definitely would try 23 for the LC.
There you go, you get more than the inside now.
Last edited by sbobcat on Jul 16th, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
2014 make ft po4( midnight for sure) in our area, but for day shift you need 20+ seniority.
Jul 7, 2014
304 posts
229 upvotes
Burlington, ON
I've generally supported CUPW these past few years however I've finally had enough of both Cupw and CP, they are obviously in bed together and we all know who likes to be tied up and blindfolded.

Im finding a new job.

For anyone planning to stick it out for a few more years and who isn't overburdened and gets home before 7 maybe you could get the ball rolling and have CUPW decertified.

http://www.labourwatch.com/faqs/decerti ... on/general
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
So true I’ve always said CP and CUPW are perfect bedfellows. Good luck- Grinning Face
Dec 21, 2007
834 posts
383 upvotes
moncton
sbobcat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 10:59 am
I still can't believe how the last contract get the approval votes from our members. Sometimes we have ourselves to blame. When we need to stand and fight and we were thinking the mortgages and new bike/boat. Went back to the time in this thread you will find a lots of characters here unwilling to do the strike. Union leaderships/negotiators/CPC heard that too, that is why we always getting/accepting a bad offers because the cowardliness we showed.
I think part of it is some are just voting against the unions postition. Which is a big problem.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
jonny_fishead wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 5:39 am
I think part of it is some are just voting against the unions postition. Which is a big problem.
Well if you think charging stations, electric vehicles and return of door to door is a winnable strategy then your welcome to picket until CUPW runs out of money (2 weeks). If I was on the Canada Post negotiation team I’d just walk out and not return until CUPW sends in some adults to the negotiation table.
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
Now the newsletter has inform us there maybe a strike/lockout situation 3 month from now. Prepare yourself for a fight and be unify if you need something. You could F the union and even organizing a new one if you willing, but please don't do that during the negotiation. The enemy is on the other side.
Part of the negotiation team from both sides are constantly monitor how strong/weak their link of chain are. If most of us calling for keep working , no strike then we will get the offer of 25 Cents raise again.
Nobody gonna hand you the raise or better benefits you hope for. Like what said in the movie" nobody give it to you, You have to take it"

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)