Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2018 10:57 pm
Jun 26, 2018
11 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto West
Why is there even a strike vote? Both the union and the corporation lost their power to negotiate when cupw claimed gender discrimination. The (rsmc) contract is in the hands of Arbitrator Flynn now.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1301 posts
783 upvotes
at the chiropractors
DanielL8142 wrote:
Jul 11th, 2018 10:11 pm
Why is there even a strike vote? Both the union and the corporation lost their power to negotiate when cupw claimed gender discrimination. The (rsmc) contract is in the hands of Arbitrator Flynn now.
The arbitration was part of the deal from the previous contract, which expired at the beginning of this year. We are currently contractless (although the last contract still applies throughout negotiations). The strike vote is to get things moving for the new contract that is currently under negotiations.
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7166 posts
566 upvotes
Toronto
Wonder if cp will he busy w amazon prime day next week.

I know with the amazon prime sale, they can't guarantee everything to be delivered in one day.
Sep 16, 2016
58 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
stalbert1 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 10:53 am
Not to mention it’s time to fix the wages. Letter carrier job gets harder and more stressful every year yet we are paid the same as inside workers? Unjust- and all LCs should make the same wage. Pay inside workers less and LCs the same hourly rate Thumbs Up Sign
Why should inside workers be paid less?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1677 posts
642 upvotes
Kitchener
My brother-in-law was far from fit, yet isn't lazy. He's just fat, like close to 300 pounds of flubber. Yet never had issues doing his 8-hour route in 5 hours, then taking a second route for someone who's sick, so he could work 10 hours and get paid for 20 (8 hours for his route, 12 hours OT for the second route), not to mention the rest period allowance on top of that, and the flyer bonus on top of everything else.

I do agree that this job isn't for lazy people. I've worked with the ex (probably illegal for me to do so), so I do understand that it's hard, especially when you have a route with a lot of steps/hills. Or during election time and you have 1000's worth of 'flyer' mail. Nice bonus though...
Sep 16, 2016
58 posts
13 upvotes
Ontario
Hugh Jass wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 11:47 am
I agree 100% but that will never happen.

Working inside is like a holiday camp compared to LC, I did it years ago for a while to get PT and also know a ton of people that went inside, all say same thing. I would jump at it but the only hours I would get would be graveyard. F that.
How is working inside graveyard hours like a holiday camp?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
1677 posts
642 upvotes
Kitchener
Uniondude wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 1:57 pm
Why should inside workers be paid less?
They shouldn't. Inside work usually starts afternoons or nights anyway. Wouldn't be fair for any LC who has 20 years experience to be paid less once they get inside. If I recall correctly, even the LCA's make the same as LC's.

I work in a unionized 'shop', and all jobs in our department pay the same, but some are night work, some involve being outside (and at night) and working around the public (deplorable's in some case). Worst case is working outside, at night, around addicts. Best case is days, inside, around other government staff. Same pay, except for shift premium (ranges $1.25 to $1.40). Even if you get the max shift premium, at $56/week, it hardly seems worth it compared to others. And depending, if you work out of certain locations, you're also paying for parking....
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1301 posts
783 upvotes
at the chiropractors
PCDawg wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 12:32 pm
Wonder if cp will he busy w amazon prime day next week.

I know with the amazon prime sale, they can't guarantee everything to be delivered in one day.
From what I remember about previous years, it is slightly heavier but not too much. Amazon uses every shipper that there is, and the madness will be spread out to all shippers.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 7, 2013
610 posts
256 upvotes
LONDON
Uniondude wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 2:02 pm
How is working inside graveyard hours like a holiday camp?
No weather issues- not carrying 35lbs on your back for kilometres. Inside should be paid much less. Sorry that’s the truth wether u care to admit it or not. Union membership doesn’t mean we all should get the same pay- difficulty has to be considered in any fair pay scale.
Jan 13, 2013
228 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
stalbert1 wrote:
Jul 12th, 2018 7:09 pm
No weather issues- not carrying 35lbs on your back for kilometres. Inside should be paid much less. Sorry that’s the truth wether u care to admit it or not. Union membership doesn’t mean we all should get the same pay- difficulty has to be considered in any fair pay scale.
If you pulled 100 mentally secure people off the street and asked them to work inside for CP, every single one would be as capable as a current employee. How many of those 100 could be LCs?

I've done both jobs; inside is incredibly easy/mindless. When I return from forced OT, losing 5lbs of sweat in the heat, or from cold weather that makes my fingers so numb I can't work my hands to get my phone out of my pocket; the payscale does not feel so balanced to see a shlubby inside worker leaning back on a stool with his feet up, tossing a magazine that has the number 23 into the slot that says, "23" on it, at as leisurely a pace as he so chooses.

I'd stab a rusty nail in my eye before I ever take an inside position , but that doesn't mean it should warrant equal pay. Hell, just the fact that they get the same massage benefits as LCs is a slap in the face.
Jul 12, 2010
33 posts
3 upvotes
Montreal
Slotstuffer wrote:
Jul 9th, 2018 11:02 am
Who says you need to read 8 years worth or forum talk, search the keyword and you find it all. If you are not a self starter and able to find solutions on your own you will have a tough time pushin mail. It comes off as lazy to me when I see that question asked and not a good sign heading into a job that destroys laziness. Sorry to laugh but the amount of turnover I see is comical with every new season of Terms.

I posted my question here because that morning I had spent a 2 hours on the GAT test, had to quickly bike 30 mins to work for my 8 hour shift, and then after that had to bike an hour across town to an interview, and then back home.

...And from the comfort of your living room you are calling me lazy and not a self-starter for chosing to type a question into an online forum that was designed specifically for that purpose.

I have my interview coming up in the next couple weeks. But thanks for your help!
Aug 22, 2010
146 posts
47 upvotes
How hard is it to google "redflagdeals canada post gat test?"
Aug 22, 2010
146 posts
47 upvotes
Not trying to be mean but you will soon learn in this company that nobody is going to hold your hand when your out there on the job. You must find your own way of finding answers/solutions.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

dieselboy27, donnatella