Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 9:22 am
UPS wages 31.79 an hour for package drivers and they get helpers at xmas time (see attached) and purolator and fedex are just as close in wages.
If only cupw knew how to negotiate.
I still can't believe cupw gave away the farm on the flyers. 2 separate contracts and urban is getting dragged to the bottom.
so are you arguing for privatization? it is not just about negotiation us outdoor letter carriers are delivering letter mail that these other companies would never touch...I am all for tough negotiations but if you think we can approach what private companies can give their union you need to relook at our finances...I mean we have what 50,000 union members and if you say pushed for $32/hour that would be an additional $500k per day in salary...add in whatever percentage would go towards pension and various other costs paid by the company and Canada post would be unprofitable within 5-6 months....simply put we are too big and have too much cost overhead to get that type of a raise..and any raise we do get will need to be countered by an increase in postage. (there is one answer to all the cost factor though...postal banking..if that happens then you could see a huge wage increaseand I believe that is what the Union is uhm…..banking on.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11382 posts
2758 upvotes
GTA
airmail wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 8:26 pm
Your logic doesn't make sense...ups employs over 400k and so does fedex.
In Canada? Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 10, 2018
2 posts
3 upvotes
I’m confused... the union says that they are negotiating what “we” accepted, like reduction on flyer money, and better the RSMC contract, but...I never accepted nothing, and nobody from the union ever came up to me and asked me what I wanted for the upcoming contract, and if it was ok to reduce the flyer pay for a 6 min time value ( wow ,lol)?!...
Jun 26, 2018
25 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto West
My goodness. I wonder how many of you, who are active on this forum, are active irl. We have union meetings to discuss things like electric vehicles, wage increases, postal banking, D2D delivery.

Go to your local union meetings. Bring up these concerns. A well informed, passionate and active member base will (ideally) inform the negotiators who clearly need direction right now.

My 2 cents on the electric vehicles: great idea, but come on, this is not how negatiations work. No wonder the corporation isn't playing ball. There is a time to be serious, and the Union is a joke.

So, how could we go about getting an electric fleet?

Step 1: Push for fast- charging stations at every depot (excuse: RSMCs should be incentivised to go electric)...

Step 2: Push an incentive for RSMCs to go electric when the time comes to replace their personal vehicles; maybe an extra $3,000 over 3 years.

Step 3: Look CPC, electrics are great for your RSMCs, let's grandfather them in.

Each step takes years. CUPW wants to do this overnight. What a joke.

Anyone want to guess what my role is? Haha. Yup, that's right. Anyways, be active in union meetings, this is the only way to make real change. Any other form of change will lean towards corruption/collusion/a joke.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1594 posts
133 upvotes
onatrio
they should of gotten a fleet when there was the 14000 rebate
DanielL8142 wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 9:46 pm
My goodness. I wonder how many of you, who are active on this forum, are active irl. We have union meetings to discuss things like electric vehicles, wage increases, postal banking, D2D delivery.

Go to your local union meetings. Bring up these concerns. A well informed, passionate and active member base will (ideally) inform the negotiators who clearly need direction right now.

My 2 cents on the electric vehicles: great idea, but come on, this is not how negatiations work. No wonder the corporation isn't playing ball. There is a time to be serious, and the Union is a joke.

So, how could we go about getting an electric fleet?

Step 1: Push for fast- charging stations at every depot (excuse: RSMCs should be incentivised to go electric)...

Step 2: Push an incentive for RSMCs to go electric when the time comes to replace their personal vehicles; maybe an extra $3,000 over 3 years.

Step 3: Look CPC, electrics are great for your RSMCs, let's grandfather them in.

Each step takes years. CUPW wants to do this overnight. What a joke.

Anyone want to guess what my role is? Haha. Yup, that's right. Anyways, be active in union meetings, this is the only way to make real change. Any other form of change will lean towards corruption/collusion/a joke.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1590 posts
1172 upvotes
at the chiropractors
I can actually see this possibly working. We already have a network of trucks that criss cross the country to pick up mail/parcels from all the small towns to the bigger centers. Some sort of hybrid vehicle could replace the 5 tons, and would provide more service to the communities while adding more revenue to CP....

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/day6/episode-3 ... -1.4743990
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 20, 2013
278 posts
122 upvotes
sbobcat wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 5:12 pm
if they could get away with 19 for inside workers they definitely would try 23 for the LC.
There you go, you get more than the inside now.
That's slightly more than I currently make! As one of the first hires post wage-drop, I'm at just under $22 as FT RLC.

Hired casual May 2013
Hired perm Oct 2016
FT-RLC Apr 2017
Mar 26, 2007
523 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
CPC would like to see every body would like to go backward in wage. The negotiation would go much smoothly for sure.
Dec 5, 2013
180 posts
52 upvotes
Pjtipps wrote:
Jul 16th, 2018 7:32 pm
I've generally supported CUPW these past few years however I've finally had enough of both Cupw and CP, they are obviously in bed together and we all know who likes to be tied up and blindfolded.

Im finding a new job.

For anyone planning to stick it out for a few more years and who isn't overburdened and gets home before 7 maybe you could get the ball rolling and have CUPW decertified.

http://www.labourwatch.com/faqs/decerti ... on/general
Bro,I feel same way man,I had a interview,but the union guy in my depot was so powerless ,because of overtime,two hours? After I received a letter says it will be in my record.I spoke to the union guy,he just took the paper says do not worry. what does he do ,every day come to my depot 12 clock and have lunch with supervisor ,then go home at 4 pm,that is really a good route.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
firefireman wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 6:17 pm
Bro,I feel same way man,I had a interview,but the union guy in my depot was so powerless ,because of overtime,two hours? After I received a letter says it will be in my record.I spoke to the union guy,he just took the paper says do not worry. what does he do ,every day come to my depot 12 clock and have lunch with supervisor ,then go home at 4 pm,that is really a good route.
Union is useless. My last interview I declined union representation and got a letter on my file. Big deal. I can speak for and defend myself- don’t need support from a lazy slug who’s managements buddy anyhow
Aug 12, 2017
171 posts
56 upvotes
airmail wrote:
Jul 17th, 2018 8:26 pm
Your logic doesn't make sense...ups employs over 400k (12k in Canada) and so does fedex. As our wages go up so do the union dues..and cupw union dues are extremely high already..
Fyi...the membership pays the union
it has nothing to do with union dues...we are talking profit that Canada Post makes..you compare it with fedex who made like $2 billion profit in the 4th quarter alone.... with our current profit a raise of $5 an hour would destroy that profit in half a year....think on it we do more parcels then anyone so what is the over-riding cost factor....letter mail...and if we became privatized that would be the first thing removed. Private companies can remove and add services to control their cost...if a fedex store does poor business they will close it down....same thing doesn't work with a crown corporation..I mean come on a dollar to ship a post card from nova Scotia to Vancouver....how the hell is that profitable? (note I am not saying we should get rid of this service..just saying a wage of $30 plus an hour is going to be a tough sell with things being run the way they currently are....banking is the only thing that would up our profit margin enough to make it possible.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
PtsuckS wrote:
Jul 18th, 2018 8:20 pm
Last resort....

No mentions of a pay increase of any sorts....

:rolleyes:
Banking, electric vehicles, charging stations and social issues. CUPW thinks there a political party when if fact they are the hippies of 2018 who will again negotiate a crap contract for Carriers and keep all the gravy the inside workers have.