Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 24, 2017
127 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
jonny_fishead wrote: Yeah, 2% would be terrifying and on a similar level to the Spanish flu pandemic. This virus seems to spread much easier than flu also, which would make it worse than the Spanish flu is the mortality rate does turn out to be the same.
Ok. I'm officially throwing in the towel. Everybody seems committed to apocalyptic scenarios.

Be terrified. It's terrifying! Maybe being terrified will help you collate flyers faster tomorrow?

I honestly don't mean to trivialize. If anyone does need to legitimately worry, it's people in under-developed countries. Canada's health infrastructure is more than up to the task, especially post-SARS.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: Ok. I'm officially throwing in the towel. Everybody seems committed to apocalyptic scenarios.

Be terrified. It's terrifying! Maybe being terrified will help you collate flyers faster tomorrow?

I honestly don't mean to trivialize. If anyone does need to legitimately worry, it's people in under-developed countries. Canada's health infrastructure is more than up to the task, especially post-SARS.
You are deflecting. You stated a really unsound argument and all your responsses notably don't talk about it at all. I'm guessing you also realized how unsound it is.
Nov 24, 2017
127 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
gotwgoty wrote: You are deflecting. You stated a really unsound argument and all your responsses notably don't talk about it at all. I'm guessing you also realized how unsound it is.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
3193 posts
2474 upvotes
at the chiropractors
ashbridge12 wrote: Ok. I'm officially throwing in the towel. Everybody seems committed to apocalyptic scenarios.

I assume that you would know at least 100 people. You seem pretty casual in that only 2 of them will be dead. Hopefully it won't be anyone close so that you can care less.... I don't see mass hysteria in the streets like you are making it out to be either. It is just people that are taking it seriously that it is MORE serious than the common flu. That the odds are still only 2 in a 100, doesn't make me want to test my luck.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1491 posts
1032 upvotes
moncton

I don't think people should be panicking either, just disagreeing that a 2% mortality rate is laughable. We'll know a lot more when we see how the numbers out of South Korea bear out, they seem to be very transparent and they probably have a similar health care system/resources to ours.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
Lol, comes in with 'Oh my god, this is so irritating, here is some data that proves my point'. Other people point out that the data shows the opposite of his point because he is way dumber than he thinks he is. Goes out with memes.

Great times!
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote: I assume that you would know at least 100 people. You seem pretty casual in that only 2 of them will be dead. Hopefully it won't be anyone close so that you can care less.... I don't see mass hysteria in the streets like you are making it out to be either. It is just people that are taking it seriously that it is MORE serious than the common flu. That the odds are still only 2 in a 100, doesn't make me want to test my luck.....
It really depends on what the infection rate is if that mortality rate is correct.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote: I don't think people should be panicking either, just disagreeing that a 2% mortality rate is laughable. We'll know a lot more when we see how the numbers out of South Korea bear out, they seem to be very transparent and they probably have a similar health care system/resources to ours.
I lived in South Korea for quite a long time and it had the best healthcare system I've ever been in. It was legitimately amazing.

I don't know if that means they are more ready for something like this (that might deoend on different things) but they should be pretty well equipped.
Nov 24, 2017
127 posts
175 upvotes
GTA
timetotellthetruth wrote: I assume that you would know at least 100 people. You seem pretty casual in that only 2 of them will be dead. Hopefully it won't be anyone close so that you can care less.... I don't see mass hysteria in the streets like you are making it out to be either. It is just people that are taking it seriously that it is MORE serious than the common flu. That the odds are still only 2 in a 100, doesn't make me want to test my luck.....
Whether you realize it or not, 2 out of 100 people being dead IS pretty casual in almost any circumstance. If you knew 100 people in high school, more than 2 or them are surely dead by now. If you take a random sampling of 100 people in your life currently, 2 of them will most likely be dead within a year. It's just probabilistic math, it's nothing particularly apocalyptic. It's just that people aren't generally inclined to think in those terms.

I never claimed mass hysteria in the streets. I'm talking about media sensationalism, because that's their business, and I personally find it a little tiresome. That said, obviously some media is worse than others. CBC is generally pretty level-headed.
jonny_fishead wrote: I don't think people should be panicking either, just disagreeing that a 2% mortality rate is laughable. We'll know a lot more when we see how the numbers out of South Korea bear out, they seem to be very transparent and they probably have a similar health care system/resources to ours.
Fair enough. Let's see what happens.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
I don't think anyone's talking about society ending but there may be a point where the government recommends no longer going to public places if unnecessary. That's why they're advising people stock up now - because if you get sick they don't want you running to the store, but also to prevent people from unnecessarily exposing themselves if a city does find itself with a high infection rate.

We don't know how easy it is to transmit compared to the Flu, that's the variable people are concerned about. We hardly even know how it presents itself in healthy people. I'm not fearful yet but I do worry about the US doing something brazen like shutting it's borders.

As carriers we're on the front lines. If someone's sick and quarantining themselves they're going to be ordering medication, toiletries, supplies, etc. and I'd like to know what Canada Post expects me to do. Can I bypass a signature if the person says "I'm sick" through the door? Can I run away if someone opens the door coughing? If there is significant risk in my area are they going to tell me to stay home?
Last edited by mikebc on Mar 1st, 2020 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
mikebc wrote: I don't think anyone's talking about society ending but there may be a point where the government recommends no longer going to public places if unnecessary. That's why they're advising people stock up now - because if you get sick they don't want you running to the store, but also to prevent people from unnecessarily exposing themselves if a city does find itself with a high infection rate.

We don't know how easy it is to transmit compared to the Flu, that's the variable people are concerned about. We hardly even know how it presents itself in healthy people. I'm not fearful yet but I do worry about the US doing something brazen like shutting it's borders.
When I originally brought this up, I was thinking that the main problem with us is that we interact in some sense with up to a 1000 people a day. If the mortality rate is something like 15% for people over 70, and this is alot more infectious than the flu, then our quarantine clauses or whatever become relative really quickly. We are very unlikely to die but there are probably 50 people on each of our routes that are quite high risk.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
Like usual I added in some more after your quote. My thought is we are highly likely to come into contact with sick people in general. I'm not saying we're walking disease incubators but we need to know what we as workers can do to reduce our risk. I come into contact with exponentially more people than the average person, therefore I am (potentially) exponentially more at risk of contracting it. So, limit my interaction with large businesses if things get dire?

Like you said, we enter potentially hundreds of buildings a day, each housing hundreds of people. The chances of average joe going to Walmart at the same time as an infected person are fairly low, their actions could be tracked and quarantined. What about the mail carrier who touches the same doorknobs as 100,000 people a day, every day?
Jun 8, 2019
741 posts
396 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Like usual I added in some more after your quote. My thought is we are highly likely to come into contact with sick people in general. I'm not saying we're walking disease incubators but we need to know what we as workers can do to reduce our risk.

Like you said, we enter potentially hundreds of buildings a day, each housing hundreds of people. The chances of average joe going to Walmart at the same time as an infected person are fairly low, their actions could be tracked and quarantined. What about the mail carrier who touches the same doorknobs as 100,000 people a day, every day?
I'm going to carry hand sanitizer and literally never touch my face. Unfortunately, I'm a chronic nalibiter so I'm doomed lol.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1491 posts
1032 upvotes
moncton
And people licking envelopes...

Which you touch just before eating your peanut butter samich without washing your hands, because there is nowhere to wash your hands.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
Personally I don't want people handling my PDT if things go south. Signatures for China Reg aren't happening, domestics on a single use IDB I guess. People are already disgusting enough without it being Flu season but they aaaalllllll want to manhandle the PDT.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14631 posts
3358 upvotes
Vancouver
gotwgoty wrote: I'm going to carry hand sanitizer and literally never touch my face. Unfortunately, I'm a chronic nalibiter so I'm doomed lol.
Me too re. Nail biting etc :(
May 2, 2012
960 posts
515 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
mikebc wrote: I don't think anyone's talking about society ending but there may be a point where the government recommends no longer going to public places if unnecessary. That's why they're advising people stock up now - because if you get sick they don't want you running to the store, but also to prevent people from unnecessarily exposing themselves if a city does find itself with a high infection rate.

As carriers we're on the front lines. If someone's sick and quarantining themselves they're going to be ordering medication, toiletries, supplies, etc. and I'd like to know what Canada Post expects me to do. Can I bypass a signature if the person says "I'm sick" through the door? Can I run away if someone opens the door coughing? If there is significant risk in my area are they going to tell me to stay home?
Canada Post’s expectations never trump your personal safety evaluation. If anyone is truly concerned with interactions, 33.13 and call it a day.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3296 posts
3830 upvotes
I agree, if it doesn't feel safe then don't do it. Just don't expect to get paid for the day(s) without having a drawn out grievance.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 4 guests)

OverallEffective