Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
Ridiculous. It’s no wonder we never see union reps from the hall! They would probably be bombarded with questions, grumblesetc.

I doubt they would step foot inside a depot?

I have never heard boo from them.

I tried contacting my MP. No return email. I contacted the minister NO response. Why do I even vote. They do nothing for the middle class.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
gotwgoty wrote: Can the arbitrator decide on any length? If so, I hope they lock in one that’s a reasonable length before the next election.
OMG one can only hope they tack on 3-4-5 years.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
"Time for competitors to catch up [wages]"????

They don't start at $19.86. What a joke.
Mar 7, 2012
542 posts
387 upvotes
ashbridge12 wrote: Ok. I'm officially throwing in the towel. Everybody seems committed to apocalyptic scenarios.

Be terrified. It's terrifying! Maybe being terrified will help you collate flyers faster tomorrow?

I honestly don't mean to trivialize. If anyone does need to legitimately worry, it's people in under-developed countries. Canada's health infrastructure is more than up to the task, especially post-SARS.
You sound like a Trump supporter.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: Basically if you were ever paid $20.40 for being relief you'll come out ahead. They'll retro pay you for the ~$.40/hr for your time as an RLC (that's how I understand it).

Someone in my station falls into the gap for backpay since 2014. I don't think they know their number yet but it should be big.
I won an RLC position after one month of becoming permanent. I was paid $20.40, which according to the CUPW info is the correct minimum pay rate for RLC, which is what you are paid during your first year as permanent.
I guess we'll see!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
I believe the ROP argument is that the $.54 you get isn't a "full increment", they argue that promotion should bump you from year 0 ($19.86) to year 1 immediately ($20.70 or something?) according to the pay ranks in the CA. I haven't spoken to anyone who's had their case reviewed and paid out so I'm not 100%, but that's the basis of the grievance.

Now is declaring yourself as an RLC actually a "promotion" or just a designation? It's not like you really have a choice, 99% of new permanents are not in a position to own a route. There's some wordplay that the union is using to further their position and it seems like management is having to pay the price. You can bet that section will be reworded in the new contract.
Last edited by mikebc on Mar 3rd, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 7, 2014
348 posts
264 upvotes
Burlington, ON
That's deemed as a promotion and you should have been bumped to a year 1 RLC pay rate.
If you're still relief and don't own a position you could be in for a sizeable pay adjustment. If you only stayed relief for a few months then you will only get a small adjustment cheque.Good luck. Keep in mind this will go backwards also. If you switch from relief to owner you drop 1 year on the pay grid and if Canada Post didn't change you're pay when you switched, then you're going to owe CP some overpayment $$$.
I got screwed by CP in the summer for this exact issue
I only owed $1K .Goodluck
VanMailMan wrote: I won an RLC position after one month of becoming permanent. I was paid $20.40, which according to the CUPW info is the correct minimum pay rate for RLC, which is what you are paid during your first year as permanent.
I guess we'll see!
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
Pjtipps wrote: That's deemed as a promotion and you should have been bumped to a year 1 RLC pay rate.
If you're still relief and don't own a position you could be in for a sizeable pay adjustment. If you only stayed relief for a few months then you will only get a small adjustment cheque.Good luck. Keep in mind this will go backwards also. If you switch from relief to owner you drop 1 year on the pay grid and if Canada Post didn't change you're pay when you switched, then you're going to owe CP some overpayment $$$.
I got screwed by CP in the summer for this exact issue
I only owed $1K .Goodluck
Yeah, I was RLC for nearly two years, then went on LWOP and came back as P/T PO4. They set my pay back to first year LC and I argued that I should be starting at 2nd year rate. They agreed and paid me the extra. It's really difficult to keep track of...never go on LWOP and then change classifications if you can avoid it!
Jun 8, 2019
750 posts
398 upvotes
Mmmm, I got full time and backfilled and then bid on a relief position. I feel like I was at 20.40. Then, I bid on full time and went back down to 19.86. Tell me I'm getting some money!
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2008
6315 posts
3092 upvotes
Manitoba
mikebc wrote: "Time for competitors to catch up [wages]"????

They don't start at $19.86. What a joke.
More like Canada post to catch up, But they are basing it on inside workers wages. As everyone knows carriers are not fairly represented.
Letter carrier wage 26.60
Terms are being hired as the same wages that were in the nineties.
FedEx, Purolator and UPS parcel driver wages will all be over 30 to 33 an hour by 2022.
Ups contract below
Images
  • 8798ED10-0C66-4E34-A9B2-35D3CB767C7F.jpeg
Sep 22, 2019
72 posts
57 upvotes
Earth
airmail wrote: More like Canada post to catch up, But they are basing it on inside workers wages. As everyone knows carriers are not fairly represented.
Letter carrier wage 26.60
Terms are being hired as the same wages that were in the nineties.
FedEx, Purolator and UPS parcel driver wages will all be over 30 to 33 an hour by 2022.
Ups contract below

UPs employees start at 14 or 15/h, and progressively go up in a short period of time.
That’s how it should be at CP.
CP letter carriers deserve more then the 27/h top rate, UPS is at 31/h and they only deliver packages and pick ups, CP letter carriers, sort, deliver mail, flyers in all types of weather, wrecking their bodies, and are still able to deliver packages, do pick ups, clear mails boxes and RPOs...I thing iits time to give letters carriers way more then $27h
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
airmail wrote: But they are basing it on inside workers wages.
I'm confused by this. If you are referring to CP inside workers, how is it different than letter carriers?
I just spent yesterday morning going through all my pay statements and was made quite depressed by how much more money I could make as LC.
As PO4 I don't have the opportunity for such pay bonuses as: relief, over-assessed walk, meal allowance, admail, OT splits etc.
But as far as I can tell the straight wage scale is the same. Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Sep 19, 2004
745 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
VanMailMan wrote: I'm confused by this. If you are referring to CP inside workers, how is it different than letter carriers?
I just spent yesterday morning going through all my pay statements and was made quite depressed by how much more money I could make as LC.
As PO4 I don't have the opportunity for such pay bonuses as: relief, over-assessed walk, meal allowance, admail, OT splits etc.
But as far as I can tell the straight wage scale is the same. Am I missing something?
Thanks.
Please transfer to lc if you are not happy with po4. You can get it in 6 months or less. While it will take decades for lc to transfer to po4.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
Group 2 LCA (inside workers) can opt for LC overtime, it might be worth looking into. The bad part is you'll be bidding on these LCA positions with every other group 2, where your seniority won't go far enough to guarantee you inside work.

Last year I made ~$1000 for being an RLC and ~$1500 on flyers. So maybe a 4% raise over an inside worker. If I owned a route (as I'm sure 80% of CP employees do), it'd be an insignificant number as PO4s probably get more OT/extension opportunity overall. In other courier companies that gap at max wage can be over $10 from what I gather, so, significantly more than 4%. Before CUPW was formed, PO4s were paid less than LCs. Once CP forced the two (well, 3) unions to amalgamate then the new CUPW (headed by mostly inside workers) fought for a single wage grid. If I'm not mistaken, current LCs at the time took a pay cut so their "brothers" could be brought up (at their own expense). Thus begins the rich history of LCs giving up stuff to bring others up around them. Except LCs haven't gained anything over COL increases since the 90's as a result.
Last edited by mikebc on Mar 4th, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
sunvv wrote: Please transfer to lc if you are not happy with po4. You can get it in 6 months or less. While it will take decades for lc to transfer to po4.
First, I didn't say I wasn't happy.
Second, I am on the transfer list. I'm in a small depot in a small town and it will literally take YEARS to get back to LC. In fact, I will probably retire first.
Jul 6, 2017
653 posts
699 upvotes
Trying to get outsid…
mikebc wrote: Group 2 LCA (inside workers) can opt for LC overtime, it might be worth looking into. The bad part is you'll be bidding on these LCA positions with every other group 2, where your seniority won't go far enough to guarantee you inside work.

Last year I made ~$1000 for being an RLC and ~$1500 on flyers. So maybe a 4% raise over an inside worker. If I owned a route (as I'm sure 80% of CP employees do), it'd be an insignificant number as PO4s probably get more OT/extension opportunity overall.
Thanks Mike. There is only one LCA position in this station and that guy ain't goin' anywhere!
Occasionally we do get offered delivery splits but first staffing has to exhaust all LC OT offers, then go through the casual list, then the PO4 list by seniority. Since I'm the lowest seniority it never gets to me.
I'm PT and used to get extensions to pad my hours up to nearly FT but management recently added an extra PT position and the new person has more seniority. No more extensions, no more 8-hour retail shifts for me.
Sadly, looking for a new job!
Deal Addict
May 22, 2015
3306 posts
3848 upvotes
Supervisor! Seniority transfers over, you keep your holidays and wage "year" from what I understand.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

VanMailMan