[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2018 7:15 pm
Dec 13, 2016
323 posts
115 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:54 pm
As I said above, I see his truck every day as it is parked a few houses away but never see it on Thursdays. And since I don't work until late afternoon Thursdays I am usually outside in the morning doing stuff in the yard, garage, etc. and he never shows up on those days. It has been happening for so long that it is now a running joke among the neighbors.
I’m guessing you live in an urban area that gets house to house delivery which makes this kind of extra weird. Just because, missing every thursday wouldn’t work out for flyers. I would expect it to be the day before your flyer day that he would do this.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1504 posts
113 upvotes
richmondhill
same with ours.....never seen so many parcels for an October....flew through my route today so hopefully I can pick up my 8 year from school..but could not make it as got killed with mail and parcels...so lucky my son knows the code to get in the house...
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:42 pm
So, we should have worked yesterday.

Our depot looks like Christmas right now.
Dec 13, 2016
323 posts
115 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 6:40 pm
same with ours.....never seen so many parcels for an October....flew through my route today so hopefully I can pick up my 8 year from school..but could not make it as got killed with mail and parcels...so lucky my son knows the code to get in the house...
Yea, me too. I got slammed with mail as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1217 posts
723 upvotes
at the chiropractors
I see this whole process as the company agreeing to demands that are virtually money free, albeit slowly, in the effort to push "progressing negotiatations" past Xmas. The strike should happen now. How many times is our Union going to be played for fools?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
My first post here:

I am a temp PO4 at PPC BC. I am moving to GTA area and am wondering if anyone can please help me with some advice on the following.

I can pursue two different paths:

1) Transfer to Gateway as a Casual PO4, in which case my concern is how frequent do Casuals get calls per week? (I don'y mind midnight, in fact I have only worked midnight so far) I need 3-4 nights at least per week up to 32 hours. Transferring through this option is fast.

2) Apply for PT PO4 at PPC (PT is being granted at record pace in PPC), then transfer to Gateway afterwards, in which case my concern would be how long would it take to transfer?

I am grateful in advance for all informed advice.
Jul 31, 2017
297 posts
76 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 9th, 2018 12:57 pm
I’m guessing you live in an urban area that gets house to house delivery which makes this kind of extra weird. Just because, missing every thursday wouldn’t work out for flyers. I would expect it to be the day before your flyer day that he would do this.

The overwhelming majority of our flyers are delivered with the local (city) newspaper on Thursdays. We do get some through the mail, but not very many.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10924 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA
PO4Temp wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 2:53 pm
My first post here:

I am a temp PO4 at PPC BC. I am moving to GTA area and am wondering if anyone can please help me with some advice on the following.

1) Transfer to Gateway as a Casual PO4, in which case my concern is how frequent do Casuals get calls per week? (I don'y mind midnight, in fact I have only worked midnight so far) I need 3-4 nights at least per week up to 32 hours. Transferring through this option is fast.

2) Apply for PT PO4 at PPC (PT is being granted at record pace in PPC), then transfer to Gateway afterwards, in which case my concern would be how long would it take to transfer?

Welcome.

I dont know if you'll get your answer here as its mainly LCs in this thread, never know though.

Sign up for the CUPW unofficial facebook group. Thousands of members. Way better chance of an answer there.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
323 posts
115 upvotes
SkynyrdsInyrds wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 3:52 pm
The overwhelming majority of our flyers are delivered with the local (city) newspaper on Thursdays. We do get some through the mail, but not very many.
Yea, but you would still get some on a Thursday every now and again. The flyers are on a three day schedule so they wouldn’t land on the same day each week.
Jun 25, 2010
518 posts
104 upvotes
PO4Temp wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 2:53 pm
My first post here:

1)it all depends on your seniority .if you are up in list of casuals. you will get call every night(12-7am) at wpdh(parcel area of the gateway). if you are at the bottom of casual seniority then you get call like once a week during Christmas rush.find some one who works at gateway , they usually have a list posted in the plant of the casuals. get that to have an idea where you stand, then go from there.

2) if you can get PT in B.C. get that and then put a transfer to gateway. at least you will have steady working hours. regarding transfer times. call pcnr(gateway) . they are better equipped to tell you how long it takes for a transfer to go through.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4394 posts
1114 upvotes
Winnipeg
Cupw is peddling hockey jerseys now to raise money..pretty sad they can't even pay the weekly 200 strike pay and I'm sure the company knows it.
Apr 7, 2013
443 posts
172 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 5:38 pm
Cupw is peddling hockey jerseys now to raise money..pretty sad they can't even pay the weekly 200 strike pay and I'm sure the company knows it.

CUPW hockey jerseys yep that’ll be a big seller Face With Tears Of Joy
Dec 21, 2007
564 posts
219 upvotes
moncton

If the carrier really is taking every Thursday off its a problem. He absolutely should report it and have it investigated.

Though before you go that far an easy way to investigate for yourself is keep track of when you get flyers. You should get them every 3 days, if you don't then he is likely off schedule.
Last edited by MrDisco on Oct 10th, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote was removed
Dec 21, 2007
564 posts
219 upvotes
moncton
I will add to the discussion that humans are prone to see patterns where none exist and I have a feeling that 'I never get mail on Thursdays' is really 'sometimes I don't get mail on Thursdays especially when I'm expecting something important. And the carrier probably changes up his routine daily so not seeing his truck parked at the same spot at the same time of day doesn't really mean much.
Apr 24, 2018
9 posts
10 upvotes
back in the 90's there was a lot of talk in press about canada post going to 3 day delivery, never did though. all that happened was another mandate review. i was an lc at a station in the west area. one of the lc's transferred out and i won his walk in the bid. back in them days bids were in station first.
on the tuesday of the first week i started i was asked by a few customers when canada post went back to 5 day delivery. i just shrugged my shoulders and mumbled i don't know anything about and carried on. On the thursday i was asked about it by so many customers who all were stating that they were told no more delivery on tuesday and thursday. Again i just said i knew nothing about it and assured them we were back to 5 days a week. lol
one must remember these were the dark ages, no internet, cell phones, station phone numbers were not listed and nearly impossible to get. even if you had a phone number the supervisor was never in the office, and if he was he would view a ringing phone like superman looks at kryptonite
ah the good old days

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)