Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:43 pm
Another cupw smoke show
http://www.deliveringcommunitypower.ca/ ... ost_office
“This isn’t just about wages and benefits – postal workers are negotiating for climate leadership and expanded services that improve the lives of everyone in this country,” said Megan Whitfield, CUPW Toronto Local President.
we are supporting a wannabe political party - how many millions would this CUPW dream cost? I guess they can just have us deliver flyers for free to help with their dream.....
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4822 posts
1523 upvotes
Winnipeg
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 7:00 am
we are supporting a wannabe political party - how many millions would this CUPW dream cost? I guess they can just have us deliver flyers for free to help with their dream.....
And this is why they don't have a contract...cupw is more concerned with world peace...how do u negotiate with that
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
My first post, and I have been reading a ton of this thread. I know, newb here, but I go for my interview in Stoney Creek next week. Any pointers? I took the advice of a friend of mine who is a temp in St. Catharines (where we live) who told me to apply to Hamilton as it was the fastest route to FT. I just recently lost my job as a project manager for a software company and I need something that I can do until I retire. I am 42 now and have a wife and two amazing children. Can anyone confirm that applying to Hamilton was a smart move to fast-track as much as I can to get to FT?

Also, I see a lot of contempt here for CUPW. Have you all really lost your faith in the union? I have never worked in a union environment before.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 8:45 pm
Because CPC won’t meet our demands? What exactly do you want to happen?
He wants to endlessly complain about the union from literally every angle possible.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
pike18 wrote:
Because CPC won’t meet our demands? What exactly do you want to happen?
Who the **** demanded CUPW using our dues for its political aspirations? Maybe fools like you I’d guess.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
there's no reason to be hurling insults. express your point respectfully and it should be respected. no one of us or all of us here will have any sway over where the leadership decides to take us. so the hostility is unnecessary.
FWIW my take is notice will be given sunday night/monday morning 001 hours. when legal weed orders gets caught in the mail it will maximize public pressure to resolve this thing quicker by agreeing to more union demands.
May 2, 2012
871 posts
454 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2018 10:26 pm
Who the **** demanded CUPW using our dues for its political aspirations? Maybe fools like you I’d guess.
I’m not sure what you mean specifically, but I would assume because it is in the constitution and unions normally operate as social justice warrior allies. I don’t necessarily agree with that, but it’s kind of baked into the union cake. If I felt strongly enough about it, there’s a process which could be followed to attempt to overturn it.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1631 posts
138 upvotes
onatrio
At Our Depot we just had someone transfer back to our depot from Hamilton..Hamilton depot downtown...she said it was terrible..the route she was on had 1500 door to door points of call...was taking her 12 hours a day....so she tansfered back to our depot even though she lives in Hamilton..so the 45 minute commute is still worth it...I see you were a project manager ,,my wife is a project manager making over 100 k...she left a company in Burlington that is hiring project managers..if you want send me a pm if interested in that company
personally would not go the canada post route as things are getting worse and worse....
ocallaghand wrote:
My first post, and I have been reading a ton of this thread. I know, newb here, but I go for my interview in Stoney Creek next week. Any pointers? I took the advice of a friend of mine who is a temp in St. Catharines (where we live) who told me to apply to Hamilton as it was the fastest route to FT. I just recently lost my job as a project manager for a software company and I need something that I can do until I retire. I am 42 now and have a wife and two amazing children. Can anyone confirm that applying to Hamilton was a smart move to fast-track as much as I can to get to FT?

Also, I see a lot of contempt here for CUPW. Have you all really lost your faith in the union? I have never worked in a union environment before.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 8:54 am
At Our Depot we just had someone transfer back to our depot from Hamilton..Hamilton depot downtown...she said it was terrible..the route she was on had 1500 door to door points of call...was taking her 12 hours a day....so she tansfered back to our depot even though she lives in Hamilton..so the 45 minute commute is still worth it...I see you were a project manager ,,my wife is a project manager making over 100 k...she left a company in Burlington that is hiring project managers..if you want send me a pm if interested in that company
personally would not go the canada post route as things are getting worse and worse....
Ah man, I am done with the private sector corporate stuff. I am 42 and have been laid off 3 times in my 20 year career and have dealt with too many idiot clients and bosses that I care to count. I really, really appreciate you offering to help me out on the PM side of things, but at this point I have a few irons in the fire in the public sector (IRCC and ESDC). A friend of mine who mentioned in the above post absolutely loves his job at CP and he came from a background not too different than mine. He claims his worst day (he said Ikea catalogue day was up there) at CP still beats his best day taking work and stress home with him, plus he is getting exercise. He advised to stick it out for a year in Hamilton and said he thought I could probably get FT in a few months....if that's the case, I am most likely going to try and do that.

Outside of Hamilton being fairly terrible from what I hear, can anyone confirm it may be the depot to be at to obtain that elusive FT designation? I just need a steady paycheque and BENEFITS for my family more than anything else.....the pension side of things is still better than private contributions to RRSPs.
Oct 25, 2017
19 posts
7 upvotes
So the depot I'm at doesn't have enough parking for there employees. They suggest finding parking on the street, which is impossible. I end up parking in a public lot and it costs me 5$ a day.....any way I can claim this as an expense?
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jonesyjones wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 10:56 am
So the depot I'm at doesn't have enough parking for there employees. They suggest finding parking on the street, which is impossible. I end up parking in a public lot and it costs me 5$ a day.....any way I can claim this as an expense?
I am not even an employee yet but I would imagine that would be tough to argue. How many people pay that much just to get to work on public transit, let alone have the luxury of driving themselves but being without a spot. What about arriving earlier?
Oct 25, 2017
19 posts
7 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 1:01 pm
I am not even an employee yet but I would imagine that would be tough to argue. How many people pay that much just to get to work on public transit, let alone have the luxury of driving themselves but being without a spot. What about arriving earlier?
Kinda what I thought. the worst part is some employees have a parking pass but not others.....
Sep 27, 2015
96 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
jonesyjones wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 10:56 am
It happens to every depot, try asking your co-workers where they park to work.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)