• Oct 14th, 2018 7:15 pm
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10924 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:20 pm
I will add to the discussion that humans are prone to see patterns where none exist and I have a feeling that 'I never get mail on Thursdays' is really 'sometimes I don't get mail on Thursdays especially when I'm expecting something important. And the carrier probably changes up his routine daily so not seeing his truck parked at the same spot at the same time of day doesn't really mean much.
He did say that it was a running joke with the neighbours though, so there might be some truth to it.

A friend of mine asked me about 6 months ago how he rarely gets any mail, except a big bundle that fills his mailbox every Monday........

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 21, 2007
564 posts
219 upvotes
moncton
FrankW77994 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:31 pm
back in the 90's there was a lot of talk in press about canada post going to 3 day delivery, never did though. all that happened was another mandate review. i was an lc at a station in the west area. one of the lc's transferred out and i won his walk in the bid. back in them days bids were in station first.
on the tuesday of the first week i started i was asked by a few customers when canada post went back to 5 day delivery. i just shrugged my shoulders and mumbled i don't know anything about and carried on. On the thursday i was asked about it by so many customers who all were stating that they were told no more delivery on tuesday and thursday. Again i just said i knew nothing about it and assured them we were back to 5 days a week. lol
one must remember these were the dark ages, no internet, cell phones, station phone numbers were not listed and nearly impossible to get. even if you had a phone number the supervisor was never in the office, and if he was he would view a ringing phone like superman looks at kryptonite
ah the good old days
Definitely a lot of cheating going on. And one of the hardest parts for me was delivering the one piece of mail or a flyer to an out of the way point of call when you're rushing trying to finish early. But I'm sure some carriers don't feel guilty in the slightest hiding mail for a day or two. And the worst part is if your doing that and are able to take 3 or 4 OT pieces because your not really delivering all the mail its fraud.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10924 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:18 pm
Definitely a lot of cheating going on. And one of the hardest parts for me was delivering the one piece of mail or a flyer to an out of the way point of call when you're rushing trying to finish early. But I'm sure some carriers don't feel guilty in the slightest hiding mail for a day or two. And the worst part is if your doing that and are able to take 3 or 4 OT pieces because your not really delivering all the mail its fraud.
I know of one girl that used to do lots of extra splits but was only doing the PCIs and redboxing the mail. Eventually caught. Bye-bye.....

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:38 pm
Welcome.

I dont know if you'll get your answer here as its mainly LCs in this thread, never know though.

Sign up for the CUPW unofficial facebook group. Thousands of members. Way better chance of an answer there.
Thank you Hugh for the welcome and the useful advice. It sound like a reasonable idea. It's just that I am one of those dinosaurs who don't have facebook account !
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
nousername wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 4:53 pm
1)it all depends on your seniority .if you are up in list of casuals. you will get call every night(12-7am) at wpdh(parcel area of the gateway). if you are at the bottom of casual seniority then you get call like once a week during Christmas rush.find some one who works at gateway , they usually have a list posted in the plant of the casuals. get that to have an idea where you stand, then go from there.

2) if you can get PT in B.C. get that and then put a transfer to gateway. at least you will have steady working hours. regarding transfer times. call pcnr(gateway) . they are better equipped to tell you how long it takes for a transfer to go through.
Thank you for the reply and the information.

I don't think my seniority is high enough. It's November 2017. I have the -near- conviction that it won't get me anywhere in Gateway. I still

The reason I am reluctant to take PT PO4 in BC is because I don't know when can I then transfer to Gateway? My family has already moved to Toronto since the kids had to. I don't want as PT PO4 to stay a year here in BC before joining them. In the same time, I don't know if a casual rate of work at Gateway will be sufficient to support a family !

Thanks for the advice nonetheless. I will try to find the Seniority lists if possible.
Dec 13, 2016
323 posts
115 upvotes
PO4Temp wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 8:43 pm
Thank you for the reply and the information.

I don't think my seniority is high enough. It's November 2017. I have the -near- conviction that it won't get me anywhere in Gateway. I still

The reason I am reluctant to take PT PO4 in BC is because I don't know when can I then transfer to Gateway? My family has already moved to Toronto since the kids had to. I don't want as PT PO4 to stay a year here in BC before joining them. In the same time, I don't know if a casual rate of work at Gateway will be sufficient to support a family !

Thanks for the advice nonetheless. I will try to find the Seniority lists if possible.
I transferred as a term and it was near instantaneous. My staffing person basically just had to find the number of her counterpart in a different zone across the country.

If you need to move because your family needs to move, then that might be way to go. Obviously there will be no guaruntees about work though.
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:33 am
I transferred as a term and it was near instantaneous. My staffing person basically just had to find the number of her counterpart in a different zone across the country.

If you need to move because your family needs to move, then that might be way to go. Obviously there will be no guaruntees about work though.
Thank you jmomccxx for sharing the insight. I wonder if transfer as PT - PO4 would be much slower though. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Dec 13, 2016
323 posts
115 upvotes
PO4Temp wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 11:42 am
Thank you jmomccxx for sharing the insight. I wonder if transfer as PT - PO4 would be much slower though. Any ideas? Thanks again.
I have no idea tbh. I transferred as a letter carrier.
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 12:06 pm
I have no idea tbh. I transferred as a letter carrier.
Thank you again jmomccxx for your time and reply nonetheless. Much appreciated.
Jul 14, 2013
105 posts
28 upvotes
FrankW77994 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2018 7:31 pm
even if you had a phone number the supervisor was never in the office, and if he was he would view a ringing phone like superman looks at kryptonite
Lol. This is exactly the response at our depot. If you call and actually get a supervisor it's like winning the lottery.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10924 posts
2377 upvotes
GTA
fishingaddict17 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 3:26 pm
Lol. This is exactly the response at our depot. If you call and actually get a supervisor it's like winning the lottery.
Then straight away call the control line. Supervisors get in shit when this happens.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 25, 2010
518 posts
104 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 11th, 2018 4:12 pm
Then straight away call the control line. Supervisors get in shit when this happens.
^^ this.
Call APC. They will have to answer the phone.