Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
873 posts
457 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 9:27 am
Ah man, I am done with the private sector corporate stuff. I am 42 and have been laid off 3 times in my 20 year career and have dealt with too many idiot clients and bosses that I care to count. I really, really appreciate you offering to help me out on the PM side of things, but at this point I have a few irons in the fire in the public sector (IRCC and ESDC). A friend of mine who mentioned in the above post absolutely loves his job at CP and he came from a background not too different than mine. He claims his worst day (he said Ikea catalogue day was up there) at CP still beats his best day taking work and stress home with him, plus he is getting exercise. He advised to stick it out for a year in Hamilton and said he thought I could probably get FT in a few months....if that's the case, I am most likely going to try and do that.

Outside of Hamilton being fairly terrible from what I hear, can anyone confirm it may be the depot to be at to obtain that elusive FT designation? I just need a steady paycheque and BENEFITS for my family more than anything else.....the pension side of things is still better than private contributions to RRSPs.
I’m a full time LC in Hamilton Depot 1 (downtown) and it’s not as bad as everyone says. It’s a tough place for casuals because urban environments tend to be a little confusing with a mix of business, houses and apts with mailboxes hidden and plenty of keys. That being said, there’s always plenty of work for casuals because people are scared of it.

I am a mechanic by trade and absolutely would trade my best day as a mechanic for my worst day as an LC.

There’s plenty of depots to choose from in Hamilton zone, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Downtown, Mountain and Burlington (unless that’s separate now).

Looking at the bid lists, there’s lots of 2017s making there way into full time positions, but haven’t seen any 2018s. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any, but I think the idea of making full time in less than a year may be optimistic.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 1:44 pm
I’m a full time LC in Hamilton Depot 1 (downtown) and it’s not as bad as everyone says. It’s a tough place for casuals because urban environments tend to be a little confusing with a mix of business, houses and apts with mailboxes hidden and plenty of keys. That being said, there’s always plenty of work for casuals because people are scared of it.

I am a mechanic by trade and absolutely would trade my best day as a mechanic for my worst day as an LC.

There’s plenty of depots to choose from in Hamilton zone, Stoney Creek, Ancaster, Downtown, Mountain and Burlington (unless that’s separate now).

Looking at the bid lists, there’s lots of 2017s making there way into full time positions, but haven’t seen any 2018s. That doesn’t mean there aren’t any, but I think the idea of making full time in less than a year may be optimistic.
Thank you Pike18 for responding, especially since you work in Hamilton. I am going to keep my fingers crossed. The job posting itself says Hamilton is hiring 155 temp L/C's and that is by far the highest number I've seen on the website. In comparison, Niagara Falls is hiring 7 temp L/C's. I will (if I land the job) just work my ass off for as long as it takes to get that F/T designation and apply for a transfer back to Niagara somewhere.....unless Hamilton is a fun place to be at, then who knows?!
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
I need to see the header board on the 1500 poc door to door route. That’s nuts.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11585 posts
2984 upvotes
GTA
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:55 pm
I need to see the header board on the 1500 poc door to door route. That’s nuts.
If that's houses, I can't even imagine how that's possible, unless they're extremely close together. Even if it's walkthrough apartments, that's a hell of a lot. Yuck. Had a route for a while with 780 houses and collating hh was torture, can't even contemplate 1500.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:59 pm
If that's houses, I can't even imagine how that's possible, unless they're extremely close together. Even if it's walkthrough apartments, that's a hell of a lot. Yuck. Had a route for a while with 780 houses and collating hh was torture, can't even contemplate 1500.
Obviously fictional information. Even CMB routes have less calls. Many LCs exaggerate rather than admit their inefficiency at the work. Sorry, but it’s true. We need to be like Fed Ex- more money, no union, but those who are crap employees get the boot. CUPW really just represents about 2 or 3 employees in each depot and they have one common denominator - not good at their profession.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 3:59 pm
It’s got to be walk arounds, right? They don’t tend to be big buildings though. I think the biggest walk around I’ve done was 140 units or so. Most are only 4 floors max.

They also tend to be light on mail and parcels in my experience as they are frankly low income.

I’ve done routes with lots of walk arounds and it didn’t take me 12 hours. They do generally suck though.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 5:08 pm
It’s got to be walk arounds, right? They don’t tend to be big buildings though. I think the biggest walk around I’ve done was 140 units or so. Most are only 4 floors max.

They also tend to be light on mail and parcels in my experience as they are frankly low income.

I’ve done routes with lots of walk arounds and it didn’t take me 12 hours. They do generally suck though.
Help this hopeful out. What the heck is a walk around?
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 5:33 pm
I just realized that they are probably only called walk arounds by me and the real name is a walk through..

They are apartment building where you deliver door to door.
Aug 22, 2010
222 posts
105 upvotes
Had a walk through on my old walk that was a whole split on its own. 18 floors, 19 units per floor. Really sucked on flyer day with the baggies. Glad I bid out of that one.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2008
1128 posts
481 upvotes
Northern Ontario
totally random...

when ppl are talking about walks, are you talking about mobile walks or walking routes?

P.S. biggest walking route here is 1090 calls i do believe...
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1635 posts
138 upvotes
onatrio
sorry, not fictional...that what she told me..as she just transferred back from Hamilton ..my route im on at my depot has 500 businesses and 400 houses,,but houses are on cmbs...long route,,thats how some routes are..especially when we used to have 20 foot routes and they converted the routes to 10 cmb routes...and they have the restructures in the summer
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 4:07 pm
Obviously fictional information. Even CMB routes have less calls. Many LCs exaggerate rather than admit their inefficiency at the work. Sorry, but it’s true. We need to be like Fed Ex- more money, no union, but those who are crap employees get the boot. CUPW really just represents about 2 or 3 employees in each depot and they have one common denominator - not good at their profession.
Jun 25, 2010
581 posts
135 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 5:33 pm
It takes 6-9 months to get FT in Hamilton. We got couple new LC’s in Burlington who were hired in February/2018 and got FT last month. Lots of retirements coming in the next 2-3 years, so owning a route will be faster too , not like in the past where people owned a route/walk in more than 10 years.dont pay attention to the negativity. Yes you are miserable when you are new but give it a couple of months, you will love it.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1635 posts
138 upvotes
onatrio
worst walkthrough I ever had many yaers ago,,was a 6 floor building..start at 6th floor and deliver mail floor to floor, but mail slot was at bottm of the door..so had to bend low and open slot..that was back in the day..
- but like others have mentioned all depends on what depot you are at and if the routes were restructured fairly,,,my old route and the same depot which was a foot walk,,,most days done in 5 hours..that they restructured our routes to all cmbs and its hard finishing the routes in 8 hours ...so I heard niagra has still foot routes which I don't think there was a restructure,,so that would be good for you...but to get in the door,,perhaps Hamilton and if dodnt like transfer to niagra..
good luck
nousername wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:40 pm
It takes 6-9 months to get FT in Hamilton. We got couple new LC’s in Burlington who were hired in February/2018 and got FT last month. Lots of retirements coming in the next 2-3 years, so owning a route will be faster too , not like in the past where people owned a route/walk in more than 10 years.dont pay attention to the negativity. Yes you are miserable when you are new but give it a couple of months, you will love it.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
nousername wrote:
Oct 13th, 2018 6:40 pm
Ah some positivity! I love it. I am super excited at the chance. It's not what I want to do forever but I have to start somewhere and where better than outside getting some much needed exercise. Any advice on which depot to look at seeing as I live in St. Catharines? Or do I even have a choice?
Apr 21, 2018
100 posts
16 upvotes
For po4 if you get permanent part-time are all shifts 8hrs or are there also 5hr shifts?

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

sunvv