Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 21, 2013
810 posts
365 upvotes
Montreal
I saw someone post something in FB which was interesting. They applied for a personal leave of absence, but it was refused. Since we don't have a actual collective agreement CPC has to abide by the Canadian Labour law. Now i'm not entirely sure if this is true, but what kind of rules would CPC have to follow? Or are all leave of absences still being processed through CPC?
Dec 21, 2007
789 posts
363 upvotes
moncton
SpeedyLC wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 6:53 am
When I was a temp, I only got benched for 3 days on my 9 months of being a temp. I was actually good at the job and never refused work. I don’t fully know how staffing works, but I think that when supervisors and staffing see that you are regular and good at the job, they willl want you back. I remember some colleagues hired at the same time as me complaining that they barely got calls, but wonder if it was because they weren’t good enough for the job, or if it was just a coincidence...
It should be completely based on seniority...
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
specialdelivery wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 12:54 am
Sounds like you need to do some deadlifts.
But if you want something safer and more casual, you can do back extentions, supermans and good mornings to build your lower back strength.

The bucket sort test is just 1 2 3 and yes it is timed and I cant remember if he tells you that ahead of time or not but he told me I had plenty of time left and that I can even go through them again to double check since you are only allowed 0, 1 or 2 mistakes out of 100.
But that isnt even the real sort test. Real one is after training.
Most importantly, theyre looking for minimal mistakes and not necessarily crazy speed. Realistically when you actually do the real job and you get assigned to a route as relief or if you own a route, you will know that sort case and the residents by heart so you will naturally be super fast. Some routes are also easier to sort than others. Tie-outs will confuse the hell out of you in the beginning and navigation, have fun with that.

I cant remember if I got a call or an email 1-2 days later after the physical. I cant remember if there's any more paperwork or if youve already done it but you might have 7-11 sheets of paper to fill out and mail back to HR (stuff with taxes, I forget). Then youre on to training at 145 The west mall, Missisauga.
Thanks brother.
The super at the Stony Creek depot said I'd be training in Hamilton since that is where I applied. I live in Niagara. Are you sure I'd be training in Mississauga, or did I misunderstand the super?
Dec 21, 2007
789 posts
363 upvotes
moncton
ksimms3 wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:08 am
I saw someone post something in FB which was interesting. They applied for a personal leave of absence, but it was refused. Since we don't have a actual collective agreement CPC has to abide by the Canadian Labour law. Now i'm not entirely sure if this is true, but what kind of rules would CPC have to follow? Or are all leave of absences still being processed through CPC?
Pretty sure all leave is unpaid right now. I don't even think they have to pay letter carriers for the full 8 hours that go home early when finished their walk if they don't want to.

Girl I work with said her brother is RSMC in Toronto, she thought RSMC was supposed to be out with us but when she talked to her brother he said they went in and sat around for 8 hours. So I guess they aren't with us and crossing our lines?
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
Seniority?Maybe, but in the end of the day what the company wants is work to be done. If I was an employer and I had to decide between a senior worker that sucks and a less senior that does the job, if I could I would choose the less senior guy...
Dec 21, 2007
789 posts
363 upvotes
moncton
SpeedyLC wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:42 am
Seniority?Maybe, but in the end of the day what the company wants is work to be done. If I was an employer and I had to decide between a senior worker that sucks and a less senior that does the job, if I could I would choose the less senior guy...
If you did that at Canada Post then you'd be paying them both...
Nov 12, 2017
192 posts
185 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:14 am
It should be completely based on seniority...
It is.

I won the "rank" lottery, and I have the highest seniority among the people who got hired with me at the same time. I managed to pick up significantly more shifts than the people behind me.
Apr 6, 2018
76 posts
55 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:42 am
You should be able to see for sure when you look at your seniority list. I've heard rumors of people putting in a grievance for not getting a call when a lower seniority person did for whatever reason. I think the union and hiring rules make it pretty hard for them to circumvent seniority, even for someone who is always great at the job.
Oct 24, 2017
110 posts
125 upvotes
I agree that seniority should be honoured by a company to give senior workers more benefits like move vacation days, sick days, etc... but work itself should be based on performance from my point of view. Good workers are the ones making the company grow.
Oct 20, 2018
48 posts
31 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 7:22 am
Thanks brother.
The super at the Stony Creek depot said I'd be training in Hamilton since that is where I applied. I live in Niagara. Are you sure I'd be training in Mississauga, or did I misunderstand the super?
Oops, I forgot you were from Hamilton lol sorry.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Random question. Was the missassauga plant down on Tuesday or Wednesday on strike?
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
First of all, thank you for taking the time to share all of that with me! Very informative and helpful!

Would you recommend purchasing anything for the on street training part or wait until hired on. Do I have to deliver/wear the satchel during on street training or am I just walking with this person watching everything. It’ll be mid November by the time I do the on street and I don’t want to freeze!

Also, as an on call is there any way I can only accept/request early start time assignments? I have two kids in school and so I don’t really want to start at 1130 and be out working until 7-8. Just too late for me.

Thanks again for all your answers!
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1590 posts
1172 upvotes
at the chiropractors
raamman wrote:
Oct 26th, 2018 5:25 am
I dont see what good striking and picketing is now a mediator has been appointed. The mediator is going to need a bit of time to be brought up to speed with both parties to find mutual agreement, while the last thing some workers with a mortgage on rising rates might need right now is lost earnings. Though cupws loan offer is helpful- it still has to be paid back from the reduced income caused by the disruption. hurting loyal members more than anyone else.
They have had a mediator for a LONG TIME. This latest news was just the addition of a senior one......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
610 posts
771 upvotes
Vancouver
@destinyp22878

You can only accept early calls but you won't be working much as you're eliminating 60% of the callouts you'll get. That'll keep you in probation longer (you need to work 480 hours) and you won't develop the skills to progress as a competent carrier. You're expected to take every call you can.

For training, you will be working the whole time. By day 5 you will be doing most of the route by yourself. These 5 days may be the only "handholding" you get so please adk questions and take it seriously. As a trainer about half of the people are still hopeless on day 5 and I see their names drop off the call sheet quickly. Maybe 1 in 10 actually "gets it" and would be capable of doing 3/4 of a route on their first day alone, you should strive to be that person.

As for gear, you'll be outside for 5+ hours. Depending on where you live that may mean a full ski suit or just a good waterproof jacket and wool socks. Don't cheap out on boots, get some good hiking boots for the winter (Columbia, North Face, Marmot, Solomon) and break them in, you may be walking 20 km a day. Having a good pair of runners is key as well. Most people wear base layers, Merino is the best but its expensive. Avoid anything bulky and restrictive, you still need mobility. A good headlamp is ideal but they will provode you with a cheap one otherwise. Get gloves with rubber grips - nylon "glove liners" off Amazon are good for fall.

You dont have a uniform allowance until you hit 480 hours so Costco usually has good navy blue cargo shorts and pants, though its a bit late in the season. You'll probably be able to find spare jackets at the stations you sub in.

Its a reality check but you need to work as much as you can. As a term you are viewed as a replaceable body - you have very little value to the company yet. Staying in probation longer than neccessary is a very bad idea. You might get stuck on a 10-6 shift but those hours tend to have you doing easier busy work instead of being sent out to different stations if you're on an 8 am shift. Once you have been with CP for a few years you can start being choosy about what shifts you'll work and where, as a casual you don't get that luxury.