Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 6:00 pm
I think thinkpieces like that are just a way to prepare people for Canada post being privatized.
More so I think it's to prepare Canadians for delivery every other day. You own 2 routes, do 1 each day with full flyer coverage, do parcels for both. If they'd gotten rid of door to door they could have done this quite easily (and I wouldn't even be opposed to it). The union would lose it's shit though, so we get night sorting and decreased flyer pay instead. Meanwhile LC's are the big losers and "injuries are up" because grandma still needs her daily junkmail delivered to her unshoveled door at 7 PM in January.

I want the company to evolve. If that means some growing pains while they do another hiring freeze to let more people retire, so be it, that's preferable to a mass layoff when the scales inevitably tip and we see year over year losses. Nothing will bring swift changes faster than insolvency.
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 4:47 pm
Ray is pretty decent, though it depends on which station ( there are 7). Monday will be a killer everywhere in the GTA, as there is a backlog of parcels from last weeks 2 day strike.

It's a tough job at the start but try and stick with it. Always ask for help. Ask questions, lots of posties will help you. Ask questions here too.

NM is usually delivered over a three day period: Orange; Pink and Blue. There is a calendar which specifies which day is which. So lets say you're put on a walk tomorrow, which I believe is orange. You will only have to deliver flyers for the orange section. Make sure you scan the relevant barcode ( orange) for each set you take out.

What is NM?
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 6:55 pm
More so I think it's to prepare Canadians for delivery every other day. You own 2 routes, do 1 each day with full flyer coverage, do parcels for both. If they'd gotten rid of door to door they could have done this quite easily (and I wouldn't even be opposed to it). The union would lose it's shit though, so we get night sorting and decreased flyer pay instead. Meanwhile LC's are the big losers and "injuries are up" because grandma still needs her daily junkmail delivered to her unshoveled door at 7 PM in January.

I want the company to evolve. If that means some growing pains while they do another hiring freeze to let more people retire, so be it, that's preferable to a mass layoff when the scales inevitably tip and we see year over year losses. Nothing will bring swift changes faster than insolvency.
As long as it’s a hiring freeze, I don’t care. Layoffs would suck. I don’t see how you avoid that if you are literally halfing the number of available routes.

You are naive if you don’t think that a coming Tory govt isn’t going to try to privatize Canada post though.
Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 6:51 pm
There’s absolutely no reason for the useless rotating strikes while negotiating is ongoing. It only hurts our paycheques and disappoints Canadians who rely on us.

I’m not helping anybody but myself and my family. Unlike our CUPW reps who embarrassingly dress in tattered clothes I like to look like a human being who has a decent paying job when I venture out.

Following CUPWs example is not for me thanks. I’ll take the money and ignore any bull from them
Problem is they could continue to "negotiate" until christmas season is over and we lose our leverage.
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
They tried last time, they failed. Lettermail is a dying business, no one wants to take it on. The thing is, halving the number of routes doesn't happen overnight; a restructure takes months if not years and they don't have enough RMO's to do more than a couple concurrent restructures per region at any given time. If it takes 10 years to convert Canada and they know how many people retire per year (and are projected to retire over the next 10) then they know how many people they'll ultimately end up needing. Older carriers are flocking to LCA/PO4 at an astonishing rate and pre-retirement could be put on the table again.

The current system isn't working, growing routes based primarily on decaying lettermail volumes doesn't work if they're just introducing more deadwalking. Second day delivery makes sense and has been talked about for a long time, all it takes is a Conservative government to change the wording of the Canada Post Act and some creative editing of CP's official mandate. I fully imagine (and support) the next Tory government to greenlight CMB conversion, which is the next logical step in revitalizing operations. I'd even support adding parcel lockers to CMB super site locations and rolling out a "no signature required" program like everyone else (of which government documents would still be exempt). I need to look out for my future, not Mike Palecek's. Canada Post signs my paycheck.
Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
mikebc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 6:55 pm

My prediction is they'll combine RSMC and rural and will deliver mail every 3 days. Urban areas will go back to all footwalks and there will be a parcel delivery division, they might even try to contract out parcel delivery like they do now at a few depots (can't believe the union lets them get away with this). Middle of nowhere rural will be forced to go to CMB.

When they say they're going to create 500 jobs it could be those are coming from the destruction of RSMC.
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
The union is absolutely dooming the suburban RSMC unit by "bringing them up to lettercarriers". For actual rural RSMC's, they might have doomed them out of a job and into a central PO box building.

If RSMC = LC in the union's eyes then Canada Post will make them do exactly the same work, give it time. Add a potential "some walking required" text to the job description, get RLC's to start covering RSMC vacations, add a few to-door business walkarounds on new builds, then a walk through apartment here and there, then bam, toss 'em a good old loop and a satchel after a few rounds of protest. The senior rurals will avoid the routes, the new ones will get used to doing a bit of walking and after 15 years no one will remember there was a difference.
Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
mikebc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:32 pm
The union is absolutely dooming the suburban RSMC unit by "bringing them up to lettercarriers". For actual rural RSMC's, they might have doomed them out of a job and into a central PO box building.

If RSMC = LC in the union's eyes then Canada Post will make them do exactly the same work, give it time. Add a potential "some walking required" text to the job description, get RLC's to start covering RSMC vacations, add a few to-door business walkarounds on new builds, then a walk through apartment here and there, then bam, toss 'em a good old loop and a satchel after a few rounds of protest. The senior rurals will avoid the routes, the new ones will get used to doing a bit of walking and after 15 years no one will remember there was a difference.
The other thing is its just a matter of time before RSMC gets corporate vehicles. I don't see the corp ponying up for ten thousand vehicles or whatever they need, and they can avoid a lot of it by going to delivering every 3 days and converting back to footwalks in urban areas.
Dec 21, 2007
769 posts
357 upvotes
moncton
And like I said, contracting out parcels is something they've begun sneaking in here and there. They will be the new cheap labor using their own vehicles version of RSMC for the corp.
Apr 30, 2015
808 posts
595 upvotes
York, ON
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:44 pm
The other thing is its just a matter of time before RSMC gets corporate vehicles. I don't see the corp ponying up for ten thousand vehicles or whatever they need, and they can avoid a lot of it by going to delivering every 3 days and converting back to footwalks in urban areas.
?
There aren't even 10,000 rsmc's, and if the corp paid for vehicles for something like 20,000 letter carriers, why can't they do it for rsmc's? I hear this argument a lot and it just makes no sense.

Sometimes I think people just don't realize how big canada post is. It brings in 8 billion dollars a year. They have a lot of money for this stuff.
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 7:17 pm
They tried last time, they failed. Lettermail is a dying business, no one wants to take it on. The thing is, halving the number of routes doesn't happen overnight; a restructure takes months if not years and they don't have enough RMO's to do more than a couple concurrent restructures per region at any given time. If it takes 10 years to convert Canada and they know how many people retire per year (and are projected to retire over the next 10) then they know how many people they'll ultimately end up needing. Older carriers are flocking to LCA/PO4 at an astonishing rate and pre-retirement could be put on the table again.

The current system isn't working, growing routes based primarily on decaying lettermail volumes doesn't work if they're just introducing more deadwalking. Second day delivery makes sense and has been talked about for a long time, all it takes is a Conservative government to change the wording of the Canada Post Act and some creative editing of CP's official mandate. I fully imagine (and support) the next Tory government to greenlight CMB conversion, which is the next logical step in revitalizing operations. I'd even support adding parcel lockers to CMB super site locations and rolling out a "no signature required" program like everyone else (of which government documents would still be exempt). I need to look out for my future, not Mike Palecek's. Canada Post signs my paycheck.
It didn’t take ten years to put in cmbs. Why would it take ten years to go to every second day?
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
They put in CMB's to the most easily convertible areas to get the most bang for their buck and they still needed to rebuild the routes to accommodate them. An old saying goes: "the last 10% takes as long as the first 90%". CMBs or their concrete pads sat empty in neighbourhoods for months before they went online, that was the easy part. They can subcontract CMB installation out, they can't sub out RMO work. It also costs a lot of money to convert to CMB's - those things are ridiculously expensive and they're shipped over from Europe on a barge.

Coupled with having to mobilize a depot, absorb all the overtime associated with a new depot rebuild going online and dealing with public pushback.. it's not cheap. An RMO told me an average PT conversation isn't profitable until it's had its second restructure as efficiency just tanks as you try to get old carriers learning how PT works - the same goes for forcing a lifetime footwalker into a mobile CMB role. Just a count costs upwards of a million dollars for an average size depot.
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 8:09 pm
They put in CMB's to the most easily convertible areas to get the most bang for their buck and they still needed to rebuild the routes to accommodate them. An old saying goes: "the last 10% takes as long as the first 90%". CMBs or their concrete pads sat empty in neighbourhoods for months before they went online, that was the easy part. They can subcontract CMB installation out, they can't sub out RMO work. It also costs a lot of money to convert to CMB's - those things are ridiculously expensive and they're shipped over from Europe on a barge.

Coupled with having to mobilize a depot, absorb all the overtime associated with a new depot rebuild going online and dealing with public pushback.. it's not cheap. An RMO told me an average PT conversation isn't profitable until it's had its second restructure as efficiency just tanks as you try to get old carriers learning how PT works - the same goes for forcing a lifetime footwalker into a mobile CMB role. Just a count costs upwards of a million dollars for an average size depot.
I’m fine with changes if it results in me keeping my job and others who currently work there. I just don’t share your optimism.
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
Once you go through a few counts you'll see how slow the process is. There's no way any efficient changes can take place overnight.

Keep in mind that as CP's workforce is downsized, so is upper management. The people upstairs making the decisions aren't in a hurry to optimize themselves out of a job and the million dollar VP's would be the ones signing off their own pink slips if things happened too quickly.
May 2, 2012
842 posts
439 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 3:47 pm
Is anyone getting hassled by union devotees for working overtime out there? No problem where I am, just wondering if any union bullying tactics are happening across the country?
It’s not a bullying tactic, it’s counter-productive to work overtime while other locals are out on the picket line. I think there’s some bully type rhetoric which is thrown around, but that’s mainly because others can’t understand why a union member would undermine the cause we’re collectively fighting for.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)