Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
BostonM wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:42 pm
What's the pay schedule with Canada Post?
Every two weeks. When you are a term you get paid with a two week delay.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:23 pm
I think you're being naive if you think they aren't coming up with contingency plans for the eventuality that they are forced to supply rurals with corporate vehicles. They aren't going to shell out close to a billion dollars on top of the extra wages and benefits laying down.

Just going to every 3 day delivery they could cut the carrier work force by up to 50%, and unlike CMB conversion I think most of the public would be on board with that. And the other thing is hitting 100% points of call makes the job more predictable and will allow them to structure routes so that everybody is done in a 7-9 hour window most of the time as opposed to 4-14 like it is now. Add in night sorting and machines collating flyers and the job will be more or less 8 hours of straight walking the streets.
and kill how many jobs ? add how many thousand to EI ? and of course the cascade effect of mortgage failures, falling revenues from property taxes

oh yeah, let it rain
Feb 4, 2016
117 posts
40 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jmomccxx wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 10:13 pm
Every two weeks. When you are a term you get paid with a two week delay.
Didn't they switch everyone to 2 week delay. Thats why perm people got this "payment" that we have to pay back when we quit/retire.
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
kehfun wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:29 am
Didn't they switch everyone to 2 week delay. Thats why perm people got this "payment" that we have to pay back when we quit/retire.
I got a lump payment when I turned full time. I assumed they were ‘catching me up’.
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
I would think that might be'cause you are paid your guaranteed hours in advance of the work scheduled. It would give rationale to the term "backfill": having to go back and fill the open days
Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
raamman wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 3:08 am
I would think that might be'cause you are paid your guaranteed hours in advance of the work scheduled. It would give rationale to the term "backfill": having to go back and fill the open days
Oh wait, maybe I misspoke. Full time gets the previous two weeks. Terms get the two weeks before that.
Apr 30, 2015
852 posts
644 upvotes
York, ON
jonny_fishead wrote:
Oct 27th, 2018 9:23 pm
I think you're being naive if you think they aren't coming up with contingency plans for the eventuality that they are forced to supply rurals with corporate vehicles. They aren't going to shell out close to a billion dollars on top of the extra wages and benefits laying down.

Just going to every 3 day delivery they could cut the carrier work force by up to 50%, and unlike CMB conversion I think most of the public would be on board with that. And the other thing is hitting 100% points of call makes the job more predictable and will allow them to structure routes so that everybody is done in a 7-9 hour window most of the time as opposed to 4-14 like it is now. Add in night sorting and machines collating flyers and the job will be more or less 8 hours of straight walking the streets.
A billion dollars to supply a few thousand vehicles? Sorry you're going to have to show your math here.

As for going to alternate day delivery, there's a reason they didn't do that and chose to convert to cmbs. The entire logistics network is set up for just in time delivery. They already don't have enough space in the network to deal with the increase in parcels. It would require a huge expansion of real estate and warehousing to store all that mail before it gets delivered the next day.

On top of that, the walks will have much higher % of coverage meaning they will get shorter. It will not cut as many positions as you believe. Not even close to 50%.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11639 posts
3014 upvotes
GTA
tarjet wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 9:02 am

As for going to alternate day delivery, there's a reason they didn't do that and chose to convert to cmbs. The entire logistics network is set up for just in time delivery. They already don't have enough space in the network to deal with the increase in parcels. It would require a huge expansion of real estate and warehousing to store all that mail before it gets delivered the next day.

The idea I heard was each LC owned two routes. Mail delivered alternate days, parcels delivered to both routes everyday. Bigtime the routes would have to be shorter. Dumb idea, but it wouldn't be the first one mgmt has had.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4888 posts
1602 upvotes
Winnipeg
Hugh Jass wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 9:19 am
The idea I heard was each LC owned two routes. Mail delivered alternate days, parcels delivered to both routes everyday. Bigtime the routes would have to be shorter. Dumb idea, but it wouldn't be the first one mgmt has had.
With the rotational...Union will make it look good.
It's already set up that way with the cases...2 walks per case.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
airmail wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 10:20 am
With the rotational...Union will make it look good.
It's already set up that way with the cases...2 walks per case.
Yep, the Corrupt union is already preparing Canadians for alternate day delivery. Yet some folks still blindly follow along worshipping their rhetoric.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1749 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
What a great new discussion ! Can someone please explain exactly what problem it is that we are trying to solve? Are we trying to fix the yearly profits, or the ever increasing total revenue?
Lol..... Fraser Institute is loving the last few pages.....lol
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
People tossing around ideas about the future operations of Canada Post- some may disagree but these solutions offered are far more likely to keep the companies financial success than anything the Corrupt union offers. How exactly will electric vehicles and charging stations help keep Canada Post afloat? It won’t it’s an absurd idea which hopefully is turned down by the corporation.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1749 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
stalbert1 wrote:
Oct 28th, 2018 12:39 pm
People tossing around ideas about the future operations of Canada Post- some may disagree but these solutions offered are far more likely to keep the companies financial success than anything the Corrupt union offers. How exactly will electric vehicles and charging stations help keep Canada Post afloat? It won’t it’s an absurd idea which hopefully is turned down by the corporation.
Agreed that the union has too much "agenda", however all of that rhetoric has been dropped from the media releases, so hopefully it is not the major issues at the table. However, all of these solutions to ensure the financial success are impractical and most importantly.....not necessary. The "need" doesn't exist, and is based on a false narrative that is continuously propagated by the right wing media. They could cut a bunch of jobs to make more money , or they could just raise the price of stamps more than once every ten years. You know, raise prices, like every other single company on the planet....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
906 posts
1053 upvotes
Vancouver
However, all of these solutions to ensure the financial success are impractical and most importantly.....not necessary
Not necessary today. Most of us still plan on being employed by CP in 20 years. Parcel volumes are already reaching a tipping point, door to door is still showing as an impractical delivery method given declining volumes. Carriers are already complaining their routes are getting too long on foot and this is causing a major uptick in injury. Declining mail volumes with no CMB conversion mean that routes will get longer and longer and longer as night sorting comes online. How would you like a 30 km footwalk with 100 scans everyday? It's not possible for the human body to keep up with that load for 30 years. So you have 2 options: conversion or alternate day delivery. "Raising the price of stamps" doesn't address having 30,000 LC and RSMC's on the payroll delivering to half their calls each day. Optimization is the way every logistics company is moving forward, at this point it's unavoidable and we're already lagging behind the others - we still load our own trucks, we still sort our own mail, we still collate our own flyers... As these things get taken away, factoring in decreased LM volume, we're going to be on the streets for 6.5 hours. On my footroute I average 6 km / hr, I don't think I can do 40 km day in and out (and I'm 32, fit and competent; most of us posting here are probably in the top 10% of Canada Post's workforce).

You're going to run out of fingers trying to plug holes in the dam if you think the company can continue on as it is without a major shift in the next 10 years. No one is calling for privatization but there's certainly room for discussion on what we think would make the most sense. We constantly complain about "upstairs" making decisions without consultation that end up being worse for the carrier, why are you so intent on snuffing out an offhand discussion of where our jobs could be in 10 years?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)