Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 10, 2018
3 posts
Thanks a lot for your information. No, I am yet to undertake my training this week.
Nov 10, 2018
3 posts
dilbertojonesy wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 10:53 am
I think it's all dependent on where you are working. Last year as a Christmas temp we got to choose between morning, afternoon (5 hr part-time shift), night shifts. We were scheduled to work everyday until first week of Jan when they told us they were going to call if they needed us until our contract ends. After our contract ended, many of us were hired on as regular temp.

So, it's really dependent on where you are and what their needs are at this point in time. More and more people are shopping online so parcels are just going to increase for the foreseeable future (if CP can keep the contracts).

@liquid231 You'll most likely want to find a different job for summer unless you get hired on after Christmas and are getting a decent amount of calls in late spring. Either way, it's impossible to know at this point. Did you do any training yet?
Thanks a lot for the information. I'm yet to start my training this week.
Jul 6, 2017
186 posts
144 upvotes
KaleMerrier wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 12:24 pm
Not to mention the 4 page route sheets keep me from finishing sorting until after noon.

Another sticking point is businesses, strip malls, regular malls. (Do you guys think supervisor's would care if I just skip them (if there's no biz flyers) if I think it could help me complete the route on time? Because I'm considering trying that.
When I was on routes like this here is what I did:
1. Cut off your sort at a certain time. Is this Wave 1or 2? Sort for 1.5 hours at most before tie-out. Put in all the important stuff, 1st class etc. and leave the addressed admail, personalized mail etc. if you don't have time for it. Don't worry about taking out everything in your cart! Obviously don't put in your sequenced mail for this kind of route.
2. Find someone in the station who knows the route and ask for tips. Where are the panels, mail rooms etc.? Don't skip the whole mall (businesses tend to complain when they don't get their mail) but figure out the fastest way to do it.
3. As you get to the end of your 8 hours assess what you have left and make a choice whether to go into OT to finish or cut off mail delivery and get your Priorities, big parcels, any PCIs done...as long as your flyer day has been delivered!
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7291 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
ttthai wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:37 pm
Although you'd be saving time, how much energy and effort should you really be putting into going the extra mile? Traffic and volume should be given the proper time values, take the overtime, take your breaks and charge the company properly. Why would you work for free?

I'm as much of a runner as the next LC, but we're all shooting ourselves in the foot by doing this. The job has changed a lot, shortcuts are all good but don't force them like this.
mikebc wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 10:45 pm
I'm of the opinion that if your route takes the full 7 allotted hours without shortcuts then by all means, cut some time out using tricks as that becomes your free time.

If you need to use shortcuts to get down to 7 hours (thus cheating yourself out of OT) then you should not use them. Punish the Corp for building a shit walk.
The thing is , "all walks are created equal" HECK NO

Sure this particular walk is doable within 8 hours about 9-10 months of the year, but come the black friday and christmas holidays, this walk is particular hell.

You get tons of parcels for the pickups which adds valuable time and becomes overassessed. They dont calculate time values during the busy holiday season. The extra volume of traffic and parcels makes this walk 8 hours totally impossible.
I knew someone that was on this walk before and he saved time by calling the pickups. They understand and will tell him what time they are ready so he can plan where to hit first and last.

For people that dont have family committments and love OT, this walk is great, do everything by the book, but right this moment there is an OT ban and it can not be completed within 8.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7291 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
KaleMerrier wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 12:24 pm
Anybody have any time saving tips in general for a term that's been working for 8-9 months and gets put on a new walk daily? I'm getting kind of desperate..

Ever since I switched depots from a mainly walk-only to a fully motorized depot its been really really tough.

I was never super fast but when it was all walking, I could power through and get a full route done semi reliably.

Now, with the pick ups and extra parcels and loading times, I just can't seem to even get close sometimes.

In particular the things that cause me trouble are CMB runs, (with flyers, parcels, packets and 2 bundle mail, and problematic PDTs) I'm at the damn things for like 25 mins each) Not to mention the 4 page route sheets keep me from finishing sorting until after noon.

Another sticking point is businesses, strip malls, regular malls. (Do you guys think supervisor's would care if I just skip them (if there's no biz flyers) if I think it could help me complete the route on time? Because I'm considering trying that.

The worst part about this is I'm not really new anymore and I'm struggling so much AND it's not even as busy as it should be during this time of the year.

I refuse to give up though because my goal is to work at a smaller depot in my town and I know I just have to tough it out for a couple years max and I'll have it good over there.
Im not sure where you are located, but in the Toronto area, majority of the stations have told LC that they can do the color of the day in terms of flyers and mail and all PCI. Everything else they can bring back.

If your route is all CMBs, DONT put the the sequenced CMB mail in the case, only do so for portions of the walk that is door to door.
Hit the color of the day section first in terms of flyers and mail and PCI.

Then go onto the next color section and do all mail and PCI, if time is running out, then skip mail and complete all PCI. Even skipping business mail is ok, just ensure you do all scannables.

By the end of the day, the only thing you should bring back, if any is the mail for the non flyer portions.

They can not fault you for not knowing the walk and heavy volume if you at least do the color of the day and all PCIs.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1735 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
Progatron wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 9:30 am
Honest question from a non-postie: Are we predicting a full strike soon (or this holiday season in general?) Or do you expect an endless rotating strike situation? (Or a third option - lockout, back-to-work, etc.)

I need to order something from the U.S. soon (I'm in the GTA), and it's rather important... I'm concerned that it will end up stuck in a backlog of parcels. I order frequently from this vendor, and the shipment can usually be expected in five business days (USPS gets it to Canada with lightning speed, and then it's Xpresspost once it clears customs.) But during these rotating strikes, with Gateway shut down for two days and then Hamilton striking on separate occasions, my last shipment took fifteen days. Ideally, I need this package by the 10th of December. Any advice?

Thanks.
We as LC don't know, we don't even know where is going on strike until the union releases it on their site/twitter/Facebook. I suspect if this continues we will be getting locked out, I just hope Trudeau announces a back to work order as unlikely as it is without a full strike or lockout. I see some routes have a ton of mail pile up. I normally would work OT but having to bring back mail and seeing people bring back mail sucks. There is a ton of first-class mail in there not going out. It sucks for the customers and sucks for us.

Losing OT during the week and not getting double time for Sunday work is bad for our pay.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
11293 posts
2693 upvotes
GTA
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 9:58 am
Mind you, now that both union and company boast “declining letter mail “ force back shouldn’t be necessary anyhow. Flyer section, PCIs and the rest of the walk gets done whenever. The new and improved Canada Post Smirking Face

Since rotating strikes started, our depot has been told to do exactly what you said. It's making for some very early finishes.

What would everyone think if CP actually went with a gameplan like this moving forward? Perhaps do flyer section and one other, leaving one behind each day, so customers would get mail 2 days out of three. They'd probably have to do businesses daily but that would be easily sorted in restructures. It would ease the over burdening issue, incl a lot of unnecessary overtime. No jobs would be lost, which would please the union. Also leaves a lot of room for future parcel growth.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 13, 2016
742 posts
381 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
Since rotating strikes started, our depot has been told to do exactly what you said. It's making for some very early finishes.

What would everyone think if CP actually went with a gameplan like this moving forward? Perhaps do flyer section and one other, leaving one behind each day, so customers would get mail 2 days out of three. They'd probably have to do businesses daily but that would be easily sorted in restructures. It would ease the over burdening issue, incl a lot of unnecessary overtime. No jobs would be lost, which would please the union. Also leaves a lot of room for future parcel growth.
When I first started doing full routes I was told to do this explicitly. Flyers first and make sure all scannables and clearances are done.

Only when you know you can finish on time do you do c-day last if it’s flyer day.

I still do this on days like the day after the strike day and I would do it on Tuesday if it wasn’t b-day. It takes a lot of pressure off imo.
Nov 24, 2017
21 posts
24 upvotes
GTA
Sorry, just a followup from earlier in the thread for posterity:
mikebc wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:23 pm
If you haven't noticed, we need terms young legs to work dog routes so everyone with high seniority can keep coasting until retirement pretty badly.
FTFY
May 2, 2012
842 posts
439 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
da_way wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 4:48 pm
We as LC don't know, we don't even know where is going on strike until the union releases it on their site/twitter/Facebook. I suspect if this continues we will be getting locked out, I just hope Trudeau announces a back to work order as unlikely as it is without a full strike or lockout. I see some routes have a ton of mail pile up. I normally would work OT but having to bring back mail and seeing people bring back mail sucks. There is a ton of first-class mail in there not going out. It sucks for the customers and sucks for us.

Losing OT during the week and not getting double time for Sunday work is bad for our pay.
You want back to work legislation?
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
So PPC (Vancouver Portal) has been out for 2 days now. I'm assuming they'll strike most of BC on Tuesday if we're not locked out altogether.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7291 posts
739 upvotes
Toronto
mikebc wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 10:08 pm
So PPC (Vancouver Portal) has been out for 2 days now. I'm assuming they'll strike most of BC on Tuesday if we're not locked out altogether.

That would really mess things up in the west coast and trickle down east for sure.

With Monday off as well, everyone will get hammered with volume next week.

They would need to hit Montreal and toronto hubs again next week to get cp worried.

No word from the union as to negotiations this weekend other than say where they said they would meet in the final day Sunday.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1548 posts
1143 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote:
It really isn't fair that the plant workers have to take most of the hit
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
mikebc wrote:
maybe another mediator is required and then CUPW can negotiate for another 3 years until we finally get our much needed electric vehicles.Face With Tears Of JoyCUPW needs to join the 21st century and drop the marxist crap.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Anyone check the SAP for their pay yet? Mine isn't in yetAngry Face

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

mikebc