Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 24, 2017
37 posts
54 upvotes
GTA
This thread is amusing if nothing else. I don't think I've ever seen as many sockpuppets in one place before.

Enjoy the Remembrance Day carryover. If you have any elderly relatives whose parents were connected to WWII, show them some deference. That generation went through more than we ever will. Remember that many CP employees back in the 40s and 50s were ex-soldiers. Which makes sense kinda - who else could stomach this crap?
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 11:23 pm
Anyone check the SAP for their pay yet? Mine isn't in yetAngry Face
It’s a holiday. One day delay.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
pike18 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 11:59 pm
It’s a holiday. One day delay.
Computers don’t recognize holidays.
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
explorer11 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 11:30 pm
Usually i get an email as well to check SAP. Nothing yet
There's a notification in Infopost saying that it will be released on Monday evening instead.

I suppose new T&C the strike gives the payroll system some challenges...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2046 posts
451 upvotes
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
Since rotating strikes started, our depot has been told to do exactly what you said. It's making for some very early finishes.

What would everyone think if CP actually went with a gameplan like this moving forward? Perhaps do flyer section and one other, leaving one behind each day, so customers would get mail 2 days out of three. They'd probably have to do businesses daily but that would be easily sorted in restructures. It would ease the over burdening issue, incl a lot of unnecessary overtime. No jobs would be lost, which would please the union. Also leaves a lot of room for future parcel growth.
I don't get this. I can't see any supervisors in our depot not freaking out if you were to come back in 5 hours with bunch of undelivered mail. The strategy / necessity of delivering flyer portion first and making sure all PCI's are done + bringing back rest of mail, only works if you are clocking in 8 hours. Very early finishes as you describe them, make no sense at all. Unless you are getting help from staffing, and having your parcels/parts of your routes covered by reliefs, like some of us do...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
2046 posts
451 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 10:29 am
The problem is if you have a family. Punishing the Corp means that you will have to punish you family as well. Doing OT once in a while it’s ok, now everyday, is really bad. There is no reason to neglect your family for the Corp.
I can attest to this. I was doing OT on a walk for months, partially because it was a crappy walk and partially I just wanted to prove a point how crappy it was. It wasn't worth it, in terms of decreased family life etc, although you can always transfer your OT pay into comp pay and take the occasional days of during the week.
Apr 21, 2018
105 posts
19 upvotes
If you're a term and get a call to work while there is a strike, do you get paid since they called you? Obviously not crossing no picket line to actually work.
Dec 21, 2007
909 posts
439 upvotes
moncton
mikebc wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 10:08 pm
So PPC (Vancouver Portal) has been out for 2 days now. I'm assuming they'll strike most of BC on Tuesday if we're not locked out altogether.
Probably open it back up Tuesday morning after the weekend just in time for everybody to start the work week.
Dec 21, 2007
909 posts
439 upvotes
moncton
Hugh Jass wrote:
Nov 11th, 2018 7:08 pm
Since rotating strikes started, our depot has been told to do exactly what you said. It's making for some very early finishes.

What would everyone think if CP actually went with a gameplan like this moving forward? Perhaps do flyer section and one other, leaving one behind each day, so customers would get mail 2 days out of three. They'd probably have to do businesses daily but that would be easily sorted in restructures. It would ease the over burdening issue, incl a lot of unnecessary overtime. No jobs would be lost, which would please the union. Also leaves a lot of room for future parcel growth.
Its going to happen eventually but I wouldn't encourage it. Its a slippery slope and once they see the public is OK with not getting mail everyday who knows where they would go with it.
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:07 am
Well, CPCs have for as long as we’ve been receiving electronic statements. It’s always delayed a day when holidays fall on Sunday.
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:07 am
Or maybe you got fired and they haven’t told you yet.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 9:54 am
https://www.cupw.ca/en/mediator’s-manda ... on-expires

Shockingly, there is no movement. Only hope now is legislation that favors the workers. Of course, the liberals talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?
No surprise, the beatniks once again cannot negotiate a collective deal without government help. When will the CUPW sheep learn how utterly useless they are except for the ****.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
I guess the union has been unsuccessful their round of negotiations. Last time they got us heavier flyers at lower pay. That was quite the win the the Corrupt union.

What will letter carriers win this time.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1735 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 10:23 am
I guess the union has been unsuccessful their round of negotiations. Last time they got us heavier flyers at lower pay. That was quite the win the the Corrupt union.

What will letter carriers win this time.
Actually we got SIX minutes of time value added to our route because we accepted bigger, heavier flyers and lower pay. Which creates jobs!!!

I'm hoping for back to work legislation. The Corp and Union are incapable of finding common ground to negotiate a contract. I just don't want these crappy rotating strikes that would inevitably lead to a lock out or a full-blown strike.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

advantage21