[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1735 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 10:23 am
I guess the union has been unsuccessful their round of negotiations. Last time they got us heavier flyers at lower pay. That was quite the win the the Corrupt union.

What will letter carriers win this time.
Actually we got SIX minutes of time value added to our route because we accepted bigger, heavier flyers and lower pay. Which creates jobs!!!

I'm hoping for back to work legislation. The Corp and Union are incapable of finding common ground to negotiate a contract. I just don't want these crappy rotating strikes that would inevitably lead to a lock out or a full-blown strike.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1522 posts
1116 upvotes
at the chiropractors
da_way wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:08 pm
Actually we got SIX minutes of time value added to our route because we accepted bigger, heavier flyers and lower pay. Which creates jobs!!!

I'm hoping for back to work legislation. The Corp and Union are incapable of finding common ground to negotiate a contract. I just don't want these crappy rotating strikes that would inevitably lead to a lock out or a full-blown strike.
The way I am reading this....... so, you are happy to be thrown under the bus so that you can get someone else a job?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:10 pm
The way I am reading this....... so, you are happy to be thrown under the bus so that you can get someone else a job?
Total jobs created =0. Sore backs created by CUPWs overburdening plan - 1000s.
Oct 24, 2017
106 posts
124 upvotes
I would drop the RSMC deal, it’s gonna break the COrps bank as the catalogs breakUrban LCs back. In the end we will all suffer cuts for the sake of RSMCs. Just a reminder that RSMCs are always eligible to apply to the urban side, even if you’re a female!
Sep 20, 2018
86 posts
85 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:47 pm
I would drop the RSMC deal, it’s gonna break the COrps bank as the catalogs breakUrban LCs back. In the end we will all suffer cuts for the sake of RSMCs. Just a reminder that RSMCs are always eligible to apply to the urban side, even if you’re a female!
And likewise just a reminder you could join the RSMC side, after all we’ve got it soooo good right!! Pouting Face

Break the corps bank, sweet Jesus what are you talking about!!
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
RSMC1234 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 1:34 pm
And likewise just a reminder you could join the RSMC side, after all we’ve got it soooo good right!! Pouting Face

Break the corps bank, sweet Jesus what are you talking about!!
Best hope is for CUPW to stop behaving like a pathetic political party and actually become a union.

Drop the electric vehicles crap, banking,Palestine,Smirking FaceCuba and spend all dues on its members wishes.

Bring in internet voting and Internet forums so they’ll know what the majority actually desired and its strike votes would be more legitimate than the crooked way votes are done today.

Otherwise, eventually a government is gonna privatize us thankfully putting CUPW out to pasture with it.
Dec 4, 2005
166 posts
57 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
On the picket line, a shop steward told me that one of CUPW's demands is to get employees hired after 2013 back on the pre-2013 wage grid. I couldn't find any evidence of this online?

And it seems unlikely as it was the union that agreed to that new wage grid which reduced minimum wage to $19.86. Is there a link where this demand is laid out?
Sep 20, 2018
86 posts
85 upvotes
SpeedyLC wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 12:47 pm
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 1:54 pm
Best hope is for CUPW to stop behaving like a pathetic political party and actually become a union.

Drop the electric vehicles crap, banking,Palestine,Smirking FaceCuba and spend all dues on its members wishes.

Bring in internet voting and Internet forums so they’ll know what the majority actually desired and its strike votes would be more legitimate than the crooked way votes are done today.

Otherwise, eventually a government is gonna privatize us thankfully putting CUPW out to pasture with it.
Agreed..... out of interest what is the background of the CUPW people that are heading up our negotiations, are they even qualified to be acting in our best interests?

I have a feeling we won’t be doing to well out of this contract, many months of negotiations, government mediators and still no further forward.

Back to work legislation is coming I think as the government won’t let this drag into the Christmas period.
May 22, 2015
505 posts
688 upvotes
Vancouver
donnatella wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 2:14 pm
On the picket line, a shop steward told me that one of CUPW's demands is to get employees hired after 2013 back on the pre-2013 wage grid. I couldn't find any evidence of this online?

And it seems unlikely as it was the union that agreed to that new wage grid which reduced minimum wage to $19.86. Is there a link where this demand is laid out?
https://www.cupw.ca/en/collective-agree ... 80%93-time

C.5 of the joint demands is about as close as you'll get to that interpretation. I believe CP has green-lit new hires getting annual raises each year now, even though it takes under a year to get full time in many zones. Anyone hired between 2013 - 2017 during the hiring freeze just gets thrown under the bus with no raise for 3-4+ years meanwhile doing the same job (or more) than everyone else getting $26+/hr.

Some people would be owed ~8000 hrs of backpay st a variable of +$1-4/hr, so easily $20k+ in the worst case scenario. But nope, no pushback on that one, it won't create more jobs so whatever.

Equality, thanks union.
Last edited by mikebc on Nov 12th, 2018 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 20, 2018
86 posts
85 upvotes
RSMC1234 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 2:15 pm
Agreed..... out of interest what is the background of the CUPW people that are heading up our negotiations, are they even qualified to be acting in our best interests?

I have a feeling we won’t be doing to well out of this contract, many months of negotiations, government mediators and still no further forward.

Back to work legislation is coming I think as the government won’t let this drag into the Christmas period.
Furthermore if back to work legislation is passed for the second time, we can say goodbye to ever getting a decent contract again.

CPC will continue to holdout knowing whatever government is in that we will eventually be forced back, it’s a CPC win.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4620 posts
1280 upvotes
Winnipeg
RSMC1234 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 2:15 pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... TdStZ-iHLa
Grade 10 education and you qualify...it's been the same incompetent negotiators for many years
https://www.cupw.ca/en/introducing-our- ... XcGjiNj7ck
Sep 20, 2018
86 posts
85 upvotes
RSMC1234 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 2:42 pm
Thanks for that, interesting..... with what we’re paying CUPW they should really be employing expert negotiators and have LC’s/RSMC’s on hand to provide ‘local knowledge’ to the negotiating team.
The more I learn about CUPW the more frustrated I’m getting, no wonder they haven’t negotiated a decent contract in years.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1522 posts
1116 upvotes
at the chiropractors
donnatella wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 2:14 pm

Although I am not very pro (this) union, that isn't necessarily fair to say that the union "agreed" to it in the past. I bet you would agree to a whole bunch of things with a metaphorical "gun to your head" as well..... They were forced under duress and that is why that legislation was ruled to be unconstitutional. Unfortunately, the contract itself was not allowed to be reversed...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Jun 30, 2010
298 posts
74 upvotes
Edmonton
Let's remember that we always have a gun to our heads. It could be worse however
The pps parilemtary personal security service that guards ottawa has been without a contract for 4.5 years! They also make 25000 a year less than the rcmp for the same job. Speaking of the rcmp they are the 3rd lowest paid police force of 80 forces in Canada.
Just a second mr gunman. Give me one second to get out of your way. There ya go mr. Trudeau. You reap what you sow.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

mikebc, VanMailMan