Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 13, 2016
752 posts
385 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:18 am
They don't want to be construed as the ones who totally shut down the mail service. The unions actions are only slowing down the mail.

No. I mean if they locked us out tomorrow, why would the govt wait a week to force us back? Couldn’t they just do it right away?
May 22, 2015
923 posts
1062 upvotes
Vancouver
SamPickles wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:11 am
Do Temps usually join the picket line? I just finished my first week on the job at 66 Ray. Im assuming a Toronto Local strike means my depot is out of of my commission today. Whats the strike etiquette for a greenhorn like me? Should I bring a sandwhich platter or a couple dozen donuts?
If no one knows who you are then you could probably get away with not showing up. You might get paid if you've paid union dues, though if you just started during the job action then you wouldn't have paid dues yet. You cannot cross the line.

In your lunchroom there should be a union board. If not, ask someone where it is. It should have a list of strike shifts, usually the latest shift is the least desirable one so just show up for that and talk to the shift captain. If you're striking today then just show up at either your normal time or 2-6 IMO.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4899 posts
1631 upvotes
Winnipeg
PCDawg wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 7:03 am
This is it, the union is going to make a strong push and force cp to lock us out.

With several plants out of commission, and Vancouver out a long while. It's gonna hit cp hard.
Lol...yeah the union means business with only Toronto and Vancouver down....lol
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1753 posts
1306 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jmomccxx wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:22 am
No. I mean if they locked us out tomorrow, why would the govt wait a week to force us back? Couldn’t they just do it right away?
takes time to push through legislation. Parties like the NDP will slow down the discussion on the bill as well to help fight for workers rights......even if most of us want to work ironically
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7428 posts
845 upvotes
Toronto
airmail wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:50 am
Lol...yeah the union means business with only Toronto and Vancouver down....lol
Not sure if you know, but these two plants do majority of the parcels and mail within Canada. With gateway, it does about 2/3 of Canada. Meanwhile ppc, all those lovely packets and Asian parcels are piling up like crazy, and don’t forget the rest of the west coasts mail.

Montreal is another big hub.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10517 posts
1213 upvotes
Vancouver
jmomccxx wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:22 am
Personally I don’t think they would lock us out. Wouldn’t look good for the Liberals especially with an election ahead. I would expect a quick back to work somehow. I am sure they will find the wording and or clause. Of course I could be wrong re them not locking us out.
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10517 posts
1213 upvotes
Vancouver
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 9:58 am
takes time to push through legislation. Parties like the NDP will slow down the discussion on the bill as well to help fight for workers rights......even if most of us want to work ironically
With a majority government I think they could push through pretty quick if they want?
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10517 posts
1213 upvotes
Vancouver
Its very disappointing both sides can't act like grown adults and hold grudges that date back to the 1970s. Withering away the business and our livelihood at the same time. I hate to be doom and gloom but these labor disruptions always put doubt in having the mail service and many jobs at the same time.
Jun 25, 2013
63 posts
14 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 11:34 am
Its very disappointing both sides can't act like grown adults and hold grudges that date back to the 1970s. Withering away the business and our livelihood at the same time. I hate to be doom and gloom but these labor disruptions always put doubt in having the mail service and many jobs at the same time.
i made the mistake of reading through some of the online vitriol directed at the 'lazy, entitled postal workers'. kinda disheartening when all we want to do is work....
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
PCDawg wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 10:03 am
Not sure if you know, but these two plants do majority of the parcels and mail within Canada. With gateway, it does about 2/3 of Canada. Meanwhile ppc, all those lovely packets and Asian parcels are piling up like crazy, and don’t forget the rest of the west coasts mail.

Montreal is another big hub.
All regional mail in Ontario west of Peterborough is handled by Toronto. The rest goes to Montreal.
There might be some national mail that depatched directly to smaller regional plants but it's unlikely.

In where I work, it's about 60% Toronto, 40% Montreal.

If Toronto is out for a week, a lot of people are not going to get their mail, and I'd be surprised if CPC doesn't lock the rest of us out.
Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
ahnaatjai wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 12:13 pm
i made the mistake of reading through some of the online vitriol directed at the 'lazy, entitled postal workers'. kinda disheartening when all we want to do is work....
Because there are a lot of really terrible jobs out there that doesn't even pay a living wage at full time.
Oct 23, 2017
136 posts
60 upvotes
Flyhigh22 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 6:24 am
Toronto and YDC are on strike now.
no wonder I haven't been getting any calls!
Nov 8, 2018
1 posts
I just finished letter carrier training. Now I'm sitting and waiting, waiting, waiting. How long after training did you wait fora call to do relief LC work given that it us November?
Deal Addict
May 5, 2008
4899 posts
1631 upvotes
Winnipeg
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2018 1:03 pm
YVR plant is back working.
Back working because union doesn't want to pay strike pay...dirty