Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Aug 22, 2010
211 posts
96 upvotes
YoungPostiefrom92 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:15 am
I have no idea what were trying to achieve here if were going back tomorrow. (Toronto) Why not just stay out until a contract has been reached?
The union has no real strategy. They're going to pick small towns to strike next which doesnt really affect the CP. I remember they picked some small town in Quebec and wrote on their website FIVE workers are on strike. Like that's going to be a difference maker...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
9791 posts
991 upvotes
Vancouver
Omg propoganda. Can’t stand our negotiators. Luckily I didn’t watch this but thanks none the less.

And thanks Mike for help erode a job and one step closer to privatization imo.
Mar 24, 2016
536 posts
461 upvotes
scarborough
ksimms3 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 7:20 am
That's what I figured also.

Now that I'm in the plant, do I also need to wait a year to transfer back to local post offices to be a PO4 part time also? I know if I wanted to go back to being a LC I would have to wait a full year.
I know quite a few people that have gone back to letter carrier after a month. i guess it really depends on the demand the need for letter carrier.
May 22, 2015
547 posts
716 upvotes
Vancouver
icexman83 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 10:22 am
The union has no real strategy. They're going to pick small towns to strike next which doesnt really affect the CP. I remember they picked some small town in Quebec and wrote on their website FIVE workers are on strike. Like that's going to be a difference maker...
They kept that town on strike because they need to strike RSMC's and LC's at the same time otherwise the mandate falls through or something. So those 5 were their convenient little RSMC sacrificial lambs that got to stay out for half the week.
Jul 6, 2017
186 posts
144 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:24 am
Omg propoganda. Can’t stand our negotiators. Luckily I didn’t watch this but thanks none the less.

And thanks Mike for help erode a job and one step closer to privatization imo.
Maybe you should have watched it before judging it.
For once, Mike came across as reasonable, clear and concise. I don't think anyone watching this interview would object to anything he said or the way he said it.
I was surprised!
Jul 6, 2017
186 posts
144 upvotes
Just saw a story on CBC News Network. eBay is freaking out and pressuring the gov't to end the strike.
They also had a useless interview with a small business owner selling candles part-time who said she doesn't know what workers want but maybe we should be legislated back to work so her customers can get their smelly candles cheaply.
She said she couldn't consider another delivery service because they're all so expensive it would wipe out her profits. Which tells me Canada Post is benefiting from our cheap labour!
Jul 6, 2018
251 posts
347 upvotes
I think this strike was poorly timed and ill advised. Public opinion is very important in these kinds of situations. It seems like everyone is against Canada Post here: the federal government, the voters, other businesses, and even other unions.

You guys (or at least your union heads) are shooting yourselves in the foot here. Canada Post will be privatized, and you'll slowly be replaced by workers making minimum wage. Not trying to be rude here, but it's my honest opinion. I'm usually 100% pro union, but this feels different.
Apr 12, 2011
631 posts
490 upvotes
Etobicoke
poopooplatter wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 3:01 pm
I think this strike was poorly timed and ill advised. Public opinion is very important in these kinds of situations. It seems like everyone is against Canada Post here: the federal government, the voters, other businesses, and even other unions.

You guys (or at least your union heads) are shooting yourselves in the foot here. Canada Post will be privatized, and you'll slowly be replaced by workers making minimum wage. Not trying to be rude here, but it's my honest opinion. I'm usually 100% pro union, but this feels different.
Thanks for your opinion. But did you have a question about working for Canada Post?
Aug 21, 2010
110 posts
38 upvotes
toronto
anyone know more about the daisy mart in milton being robbed last week...as they kicked out the back door at 11pm..
due to lack of space for parcels at shoppers rpos in milton...Canada Post in the meantime just temporarily opened up a daisy mart rpo last week...and on first day it got robbed, and all they were looking for was parcels of weed,
just happy no one got killed over this..
Jul 6, 2018
251 posts
347 upvotes
fishscale4sale wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 3:16 pm
Thanks for your opinion. But did you have a question about working for Canada Post?
There was no need to be so rude.

But sure, here's a question: What are you going to do after the next Conservative government privatizes Canada Post?
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
61 upvotes
sit on ei till it runs out, maybe try a skills upgrade then go on welfare supplementing income with whatever might be available. what else is there for 50 000 canadians ?
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
Finished day 2 of on street peer training. Same route, same person. I caught on much quicker and was able to do a lot of the route basically on my own. So far going well for me.

However. I have a huge issue with my foot. Particularly two of my toes that legit feel like they’re broken. I bought new Gortex Saucony trail shoes specifically for this job for the snow/wetness... yesterday was my first day wearing them and about 2 hours into our walking route my toes started to hurt really bad and I ended up limping the rest of the time.

Today, I had no choice but to wear them again. And though it was better, I’m at home now icing my toes because they’re very sore again.

Number one concern is that I won’t be able to do this job if my foot/toes feel like this. It’s the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I was suggested to call up a doctor and get a test done to see if it’s the way I apply pressure when I walk... maybe I need orthotics (hello 400$ bill) or maybe it’s the shoes? I have no idea but I know I can’t do this much longer!!!