Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 12, 2017
196 posts
195 upvotes
Just out of curiosity, how does the new Ford transit compare to the old utilimaster step vans?

The new ones don't look as roomy as the old one and you can't quite walk across the cab like the step vans.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
DestinyP22878 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 3:44 pm
Finished day 2 of on street peer training. Same route, same person. I caught on much quicker and was able to do a lot of the route basically on my own. So far going well for me.

However. I have a huge issue with my foot. Particularly two of my toes that legit feel like they’re broken. I bought new Gortex Saucony trail shoes specifically for this job for the snow/wetness... yesterday was my first day wearing them and about 2 hours into our walking route my toes started to hurt really bad and I ended up limping the rest of the time.

Today, I had no choice but to wear them again. And though it was better, I’m at home now icing my toes because they’re very sore again.

Number one concern is that I won’t be able to do this job if my foot/toes feel like this. It’s the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever felt in my entire life. I was suggested to call up a doctor and get a test done to see if it’s the way I apply pressure when I walk... maybe I need orthotics (hello 400$ bill) or maybe it’s the shoes? I have no idea but I know I can’t do this much longer!!!
No doubt it’s a huge challenge finding comfortable shoes for long walking routes. I used to get a callus on my baby toes till I switched to a wider shoe and a 1/2 size bigger. No problem since. Also, best to buy before you need them for the job and break them in for a couple of weeks.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
poopooplatter wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 3:23 pm
There was no need to be so rude.

But sure, here's a question: What are you going to do after the next Conservative government privatizes Canada Post?
did you ever consider that it was partly because the con jobs WERE destroying this institution, that they are no longer in power?
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
A signing bonus? Would this apply to terms? 2% per year for 4? Also hope they keep the bit about a pay increase for terms who reach a year of service while still remaining a term .Add all of that to what was previously offered and to a newbie, that isn't all that bad. I'm sure the vets here would still disagree.

Still nothing about forced OT or overburdened.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
i saw this was posted in the news 3 hours ago at one source. Nothing on the CP site. Nothing on the CUPW site. There is something mentally wrong with both these sides. Do we really have to find out about our futures through a @@#$@ newspaper?
Jul 8, 2017
90 posts
111 upvotes
Garbage offer. +0.5% from the last offer. and it says "of up to 1000". dont be fooled. If the union accepts this offer Im gonna really start questioning if they really cared about this overburdening and safety issue we were fighting for in the first place.
Oct 24, 2018
20 posts
19 upvotes
There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom for the future of the new posties just starting. In my area they just hired 34 new temporary workers and unfortunately they haven’t gotten many hours since no one is taking vacation time. I hope we don’t lose too many before the rush comes.
On a positive side, we just had a restructure , before we had 36 full time and one part-time. Now we have 36 full time and 3 part-time and one extra relief. Before we had 6 full time cmb routes and one part-time. Now there is only one 100 percent cmb route and two cmb part-time. 14 other transit routes are hybrids of walking, stop and go and cmb. The rest of our routes are the good old fashion kind. The older guys and galls love it and we have had no forced overtime...yet. Oh yeah they did everything to have only one wave. It’s a little cramped but it is worth it compared to the other dépôts in the area. So for all you newbies yeah it’s tuff at first but in a couple of years you might even enjoy coming home at night and falling asleep in front of the tv at 8:00 pm.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1750 posts
1302 upvotes
at the chiropractors
https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/ ... rkers.html

This article says pay equity and job security for RSMC's. However, it also says that it addresses overtime by doing yearly updates and initiating a health and safety fund? HUH? So, if they want to force me back, I can say @$# no. Talk to the health and safety fund ! Lol. I can see why the union is frustrated....lol
Nov 4, 2011
31 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto
New offers looks good

Please sign it and stop asking for the moon cupw
Apr 30, 2015
852 posts
644 upvotes
York, ON
Mailmanwill wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:58 pm
There seems to be a lot of doom and gloom for the future of the new posties just starting. In my area they just hired 34 new temporary workers and unfortunately they haven’t gotten many hours since no one is taking vacation time. I hope we don’t lose too many before the rush comes.
On a positive side, we just had a restructure , before we had 36 full time and one part-time. Now we have 36 full time and 3 part-time and one extra relief. Before we had 6 full time cmb routes and one part-time. Now there is only one 100 percent cmb route and two cmb part-time. 14 other transit routes are hybrids of walking, stop and go and cmb. The rest of our routes are the good old fashion kind. The older guys and galls love it and we have had no forced overtime...yet. Oh yeah they did everything to have only one wave. It’s a little cramped but it is worth it compared to the other dépôts in the area. So for all you newbies yeah it’s tuff at first but in a couple of years you might even enjoy coming home at night and falling asleep in front of the tv at 8:00 pm.
Where is this?
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1656 posts
142 upvotes
onatrio
wow..thats incredible....when we had our restructure a few years ago ...we had walking routes and than converted to cmb and we lost half our routes and went with 2 waves...your situation, incredibly they went the other way and only kept 1 cmb and also increwdibly 1 wave..wow....honestly we should only have 1 wave as we only have 3 routes in wave 2....1 supervisor for 3 walks...could save money by having 1 wave and get rid aof a supervisor
Mailmanwill wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 4:58 pm
Dec 21, 2007
910 posts
439 upvotes
moncton
Last night I saw the union peeps whispering and another guy said he heard something but couldn't tell me so I was expecting some news today. If we're going to fight, and that means all out strike ignoring any back to work legislation because that is whats coming then we can vote no. If we're just going to lay down then we might as well accept now and get it over with.
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
fishscale4sale wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 3:56 pm
Sounds to me like your shoes/boots are too tight? I have wide feet and some brands are too 'skinny' for my toes.
Have you ever had foot problems before when walking for 2+hours? I'd suggest trying to exchange those Saucony shoes and get something more comfortable.
Then again, aches and pains are a part of this job.. Frozen fingers, dog bites, slips and trips/falls, bee stings, extreme heat/sunburn, sore backs, knee problems, getting robbed for parcels/mail keys, and almost getting hit by cars while you're at the side of your work vehicle on busy streets, these are all challenges that we face.
I’ve never had issues like this, no. I too have wide feet so I always try to get shoes/boots that are made of a flexible material. These hiking shoes I bought are very rigid. I sized up and they didn’t feel tight at all...

I went out tonight and bought a different pair. This time Merrell winter waterproof boots that made of a more flexible material. I’ll see how I do in those tomorrow. I don’t think I can do the whole hiking boot thing... they all feel very uncomfortable.

Anyway. Thanks for your reply!!
May 2, 2012
882 posts
464 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 2:49 pm
good interview, shame he dresses so unprofessionally.
The nerve of a guy wearing a collared shirt for an interview!

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (5 members and 2 guests)

Progatron, palindrome, Bugsy350, sunvv, timetotellthetruth