Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jun 8, 2010
333 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
exMOHAX wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 10:45 am
That's right. We are sorting oversize for Downsview A and C, Etobicoke, Streetsville, Mississauga, Adelaide etc
Hey exMOHAX, are you a temp P04 at Gateway? Are you working with other ex christmas casuals. I'm wondering if I can get called in for this project as a P04. It would be nice to know that you are working for a full week ahead of time. thanks.
Jun 8, 2010
333 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
exMOHAX wrote:
Feb 26th, 2012 12:16 pm
Hi leolo,

Yes, we are temps working at Gateway, but technically we don't belong to the plant. We are not on the call-in list, either. So it's a totally different employee group.
Okay thanks and good luck.
Dec 27, 2011
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
Hi, I received a call this morning to report to 1117 queen street stn. I got called at 7:00 am I didn't realize they call you on a monday. I declined but would like to know how much notice they give you to get to the station? Can they call you any day or is it a particular day of the week. Also if you don't answer the phone or they leave a message does that count as a decline?

Any help would be appreciated.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10825 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
mailman1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 8:52 am
Hi, I received a call this morning to report to 1117 queen street stn. I got called at 7:00 am I didn't realize they call you on a monday. I declined but would like to know how much notice they give you to get to the station? Can they call you any day or is it a particular day of the week. Also if you don't answer the phone or they leave a message does that count as a decline?

Any help would be appreciated.

I've never heard of an LC getting called in on such short notice. I've got called during the day to work a nightshift that night but I couldn't do it and was told it wouldn't count as a refusal coz it was short notice.

As for not answering the phone, I was told by staffing that if you don't answer and don't call back it's seen as a refusal, but someone else here was told the opposite.

Was it for a regular walk? Even if you got there by 8, you'd be miles behind, but then again they probably would've helped you sort and get going.

How come you didn't accept? I thought you wanted work in the East end, this could've been a good opportunity to get in with the bosses there.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Feb 20, 2011
55 posts
15 upvotes
mailman1 wrote:
would like to know how much notice they give you to get to the station?
Not much sometimes. Usually they will ask you what time you can be at the station. I usually do a follow-up with them while driving if it looks like I am unable to make it to the station by the time I had given (e.g. heavy traffic congestion). That way they can't say I was a no-show, and I made the effort to communicate.
mailman1 wrote:
Can they call you any day or is it a particular day of the week.
Not sure about your local, but with mine last time, oh yeah. They used to call me anytime - 6:30am, 7:00am, 8:00am, you name it. And I have to quickly get dressed, down a quick breakfast, and off I go. I know, it's ridiculous for them to expect you to be available anytime and everytime they call you, but that's the way it is. I rarely ever turned anything down, and even if I did, sometimes they would call me back later with another assignment to see if I was still interested. In fact, I used to sleep with the cellphone next to my pillow with the volume turned up just in case (paranoia about missing calls :D ).

If they give you a last minute call, you may want to find out if the mail for the walk has been sorted, householders prepped, etc. Sometimes they will tell you they don't know (that's usually not a good answer). Those last minute calls I have taken, upon arrival at the station sometimes I find an avalanche of flats and mail unsorted, stacks of householders not prepped, etc. And in some cases, you *actually* have to ask them for help! Boggles the mind doesn't it? :|
Oct 10, 2011
396 posts
69 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 7:31 pm
I've never heard of an LC getting called in on such short notice. I've got called during the day to work a nightshift that night but I couldn't do it and was told it wouldn't count as a refusal coz it was short notice.

As for not answering the phone, I was told by staffing that if you don't answer and don't call back it's seen as a refusal, but someone else here was told the opposite.

Was it for a regular walk? Even if you got there by 8, you'd be miles behind, but then again they probably would've helped you sort and get going.

How come you didn't accept? I thought you wanted work in the East end, this could've been a good opportunity to get in with the bosses there.

Hugh, those are the only calls i get here in Winterpeg, I would say at least EVERY week once or twice. NOT sure if it is because we have already done the postal transformation. The staffing guy even called me today, @ 13:00.......WTF of course i did not go, i was already into my day and doing OTHER stuff.

He has told me that it is only a refusal if he calls to BOOK me normally on the Thursday..............

Here is to HOPING he calls back tomorrow so i can work the rest of the week.

A fustrated Winterpeg LC.
Dec 27, 2011
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 7:31 pm

I didn't ask if it was for a regular walk. The reason I didn't accept was because I have transferred to the east list it but it doesn't come into effective until next week. This call was for the central list as this is what I was hired for. If this call was for east I would have gone for it. What happens anyway when you refuse? I actually tired to call them back and say I have been put on other list for next week to see if they would tell me if it still counted as a refusal but no one called me back. I tried to call the staffing officer to leave a message to ask.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10825 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
mailman1 wrote:
Feb 27th, 2012 9:07 pm
I didn't ask if it was for a regular walk. The reason I didn't accept was because I have transferred to the east list it but it doesn't come into effective until next week. This call was for the central list as this is what I was hired for. If this call was for east I would have gone for it. What happens anyway when you refuse? I actually tired to call them back and say I have been put on other list for next week to see if they would tell me if it still counted as a refusal but no one called me back. I tried to call the staffing officer to leave a message to ask.

As I said before, when they called me at a weird time, they said it wouldn't count as a refusal and what Fredsub said above seems to back that up.

There's no central btw, just east and west, Vic Park being the dividing line.

You can get a call from any zone, doesn't matter. Staffing once called me and asked me if I was interested in a job that was outside my zone, was over 100km from my house. I was sitting on the bench at the time but still didn't do it.

Don't worry about the refusal thing if you're planning on working as much as possible.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 27, 2011
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
thanks hugh jass for your info. Interesting when you say there is no central. In my class half of our acceptance letters said "central" weird, but the information we received from the instructor was it is east of 427 and west of yonge.

I will be on the east list starting next week I am happy because I don't really want to go downtown. Hopefully I will getting a call.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10825 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
mailman1 wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 9:14 am
In my class half of our acceptance letters said "central" weird, but the information we received from the instructor was it is east of 427 and west of yonge.

I could be wrong. But I've been on the same calling list since I started and have worked both east and west of Yonge.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Apr 12, 2011
505 posts
271 upvotes
downtown TO
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 12:40 pm
I could be wrong. But I've been on the same calling list since I started and have worked both east and west of Yonge.

I was hired for the 'central' area; the boundaries are something like East of Jane st and West of Victoria Park I think. I've worked at 10-12 different stations within that area.

I believe that 'central' only applies to the calling list for temps (for regular LCs there's only East and West I think?). Most of my classmates were 'central' too, a few were 'west' and they lived in Mississauga. Maybe the central area is divided into east and west by Yonge st for regular LCs?
Jun 8, 2010
333 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know how to find out what position number they are stopping at when going through the call in list for work? I haven't been called in awhile and i'm just curious to see how far off I am from being called in.

thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10825 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
leolo wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 1:52 pm
Does anyone know how to find out what position number they are stopping at when going through the call in list for work? I haven't been called in awhile and i'm just curious to see how far off I am from being called in.

thanks

Staffing will gladly tell you this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 8, 2010
333 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 2:22 pm
Staffing will gladly tell you this.
Sorry Hugh Jass for this possibly dumb question but how do I contact staffing? Is it HR? What number would that be? thanks again.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10825 posts
2307 upvotes
GTA
leolo wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 2:32 pm
Sorry Hugh Jass for this possibly dumb question but how do I contact staffing? Is it HR? What number would that be? thanks again.

I just looked back at your previous posts and I see you're a PO4, so my comment doesn't really apply to you. As a letter carrier you get a phone call from staffing when they have work for you and they answer any questions like yours. Do you get a phone call to come in or do you call and hear a recorded message? If it's the former, then I'd call that number and see if they can tell you.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)