[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10313 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
leolo wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 1:52 pm
Does anyone know how to find out what position number they are stopping at when going through the call in list for work? I haven't been called in awhile and i'm just curious to see how far off I am from being called in.

thanks

Staffing will gladly tell you this.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 8, 2010
327 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
Hugh Jass wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 2:22 pm
Staffing will gladly tell you this.
Sorry Hugh Jass for this possibly dumb question but how do I contact staffing? Is it HR? What number would that be? thanks again.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10313 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
leolo wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 2:32 pm
Sorry Hugh Jass for this possibly dumb question but how do I contact staffing? Is it HR? What number would that be? thanks again.

I just looked back at your previous posts and I see you're a PO4, so my comment doesn't really apply to you. As a letter carrier you get a phone call from staffing when they have work for you and they answer any questions like yours. Do you get a phone call to come in or do you call and hear a recorded message? If it's the former, then I'd call that number and see if they can tell you.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 27, 2011
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
fishscale4sale wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 1:41 pm
I was hired for the 'central' area; the boundaries are something like East of Jane st and West of Victoria Park I think. I've worked at 10-12 different stations within that area.

I believe that 'central' only applies to the calling list for temps (for regular LCs there's only East and West I think?). Most of my classmates were 'central' too, a few were 'west' and they lived in Mississauga. Maybe the central area is divided into east and west by Yonge st for regular LCs?
Thanks for your info.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
3235 posts
398 upvotes
GTA
leolo wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 2:32 pm
I pmed you some numbers and people to call. :)
Jun 8, 2010
327 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
jaszy wrote:
Feb 28th, 2012 10:33 pm
I pmed you some numbers and people to call. :)
You're the best! thanks. much appreciated!
Dec 27, 2011
53 posts
1 upvote
SCARBOROUGH
Hi does anybody know who the staffing officer is for the east area and also telephone number?
Aug 28, 2011
294 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
Hi guys,

I am going to be doing my General Abilities Test (GAT) tomorrow at the Calgary 1100 49th Ave NE depot.

Is it true that I won't be able to "prepare" for anything specific other than to rely on the mathematic and memory skills I already have?

Also, my position is the Mail Courier Service (MCS) and was wondering if I will eventually have to do a physical?
In addition, from what I've read from this thread is that the MCS's are getting phased out* (which doesn't make sense to me)...so why are they hiring?

*Can someone elaborate on this?
Sep 13, 2011
303 posts
105 upvotes
fingwerk wrote:
Feb 29th, 2012 4:36 pm
Hi guys,

I am going to be doing my General Abilities Test (GAT) tomorrow at the Calgary 1100 49th Ave NE depot.

Is it true that I won't be able to "prepare" for anything specific other than to rely on the mathematic and memory skills I already have?

Also, my position is the Mail Courier Service (MCS) and was wondering if I will eventually have to do a physical?
In addition, from what I've read from this thread is that the MCS's are getting phased out* (which doesn't make sense to me)...so why are they hiring?

*Can someone elaborate on this?

Yep, either you have it, or you don't. You can't study or prepare because it's an evaluation of your current abilities. All you can do is just wing it. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

Yes, all LC's are now (or will be) full service 'delivery agents', and the MCS will be phased into it. All part of Postal transformation. But what does that mean for current MCS? who knows.........
Aug 28, 2011
294 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
I just went to do my GAT this morning. It wasn't as easy as I'd thought especially regarding the Address Grid Memory section. All answers were multiple choice. There were about 130 questions in all. The whole thing took about 1.5 hrs. Dress was casual.

At the end of the session, I peered at the attendance list. There were 25 names in all, but only about 15 showed up. Approximately 3 were women.
The age average is quite old. I'd say the average is at least 35, me being evidently the youngest at 28/29. There were some who looked over 50.
Race was mixed.

I'll elaborate more on the test later, when I find out if I passed or not. Unlike many others in this thread, our group didn't get to mark the test in class or know if we've passed or not. We will only know tomorrow when our instructor contacts us.

In the meantime, I'll post what sections there were in the test:

I: Address Matching
You need to select "Same" or "Different" between two address. The name, number, street, postal code, city, all must appear to be the same. Otherwise they're considered different. This was relatively easy. This section was allotted 5 mins.

Tip: focus on the postal code especially, and the spelling of the city. Some were actually quite sneaky and hard to notice.

Example:
Mary Jones
456-558 Smart Street
Zambia, AF 5061

Mary Jones
456-558 Smart Street
Zanbia, AF 5061

II: Number Sequence
You're given a number or range of numbers, or an address number. You then figure out what range they fall into.
This one was simple in concept but more confusing than expected. You will waste time rereading the numbers cause it's tricky. You're given 5 mins.

Example:
Which range does this number fall into?
a) 458861 - 521352 (even)
b) 541124 - 463113 (odd)
c) 495644 - 457104 (even)
d) 49687 - 45499 (odd)

III: Arithmetic
This section included addition, subtracting, multiplying, division, and fractions. This section was 10 mins.
I hadn't done expanded math calculations or arithmetic since high school, which was over 10 years ago.
Last night I tried some samples and was so shocked I got many of my calculations incorrect.
I actually googled math charts, and had to literally google how to do expanded division, multiplication, and fractions. I couldn't believe it I'd forgotten how to do these, much less get the most simplest multiplications wrong. However, during the test I think my answers were alright.

Examples:
1/4 + 1/4

4576 ÷ 222

15.60 x 0.20

$4546.31
$41.98
$546.01
+ $73.34

9778 - 264 - 645 - 42

Tip: I highly suggest skipping all the long ones, and doing ones that seem simpler. You have to skip during this section. You won't be any where close to finishing all questions in this section. Also, this is one of the sections you can give your self practice on. Spend 1 or 2 days doing sample questions. It'll help out.

IV: Address Grid Memory
This was brutal. I felt I failed this part. There's 4 columns (e.g. A B C D). Underneath those columns are 5 addresses. You'll have 5 mins to memorize them and their positions, and then 4 mins to answer the questions (i.e. "What column was address Smith Street 506-906? A, B, C or D?"). You'll do two sections like this.

Tip: What can I say? Brutal. My mind went blank almost. I'm pretty sure I may have failed the second set of addresses.

V: Reading Comprehension
This section was given 20 mins and was pretty easy. You'll probably finish all the questions and have more than enough time to recheck your answers.
There were blocks of text or paragraphs. Then you'll be asked about the respective text. Other questions had a picture scan of a parcel slip; based on the scanned graphic, we were then asked questions like:

"When will the parcel be returned to sender?
a) It doesn't say
b) After 10 days
c) After 15 calender days
d) Never"

The building itself where the test took place was a depot, and kinda gloomy. Looked like it was built at the latest in the 80's and felt kinda depressing, if any one here knows what I'm talking about.

Also, at the end of the test I overheard one of the applicants say he'd done the test 3 months ago, and this time he was taking it again. So if you think there's no hope again after failing or getting rejected once, there's always a possiblity you can reapply after 3 months (which is what the instructor said) and get another chance.

In the end I want to help whoever else may be taking the GAT.
I didn't feel that great after the test, since I feel I might've failed the Address Grid section.
I guess I'll know tomorrow.

Other info:
My position was MSC and yes, there is a physical. And fail any one step or section, and you're done.
The overall hiring procedure was pretty much what everyone else in this thread has mentioned. (You'll have the GAT, Interview, Driving Tests, Physical, etc.)
Jan 14, 2012
13 posts
SCARBOROUGH
Fingwerk...I'm a term MSC in Toronto. Never had to do a physical for my test ( back in October ) Did you do the physical yet? What did it entail?...Yes, MSC's are going to be phased out. I've got no idea either what that means for me ( or you ) Guess we'll find out. Anyone else know?
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
10313 posts
2033 upvotes
GTA
fingwerk wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 1:53 pm

I'll elaborate more on the test later, when I find out if I passed or not. Unlike many others in this thread, our group didn't get to mark the test in class or know if we've passed or not. We will only know tomorrow when our instructor contacts us.
That sucks.

IV: Address Grid Memory
This was brutal. I felt I failed this part. There's 4 columns (e.g. A B C D). Underneath those columns are 5 addresses. You'll have 5 mins to memorize them and their positions, and then 4 mins to answers the questions. You'll do two sections like this.

Tip: What can I say? Brutal. My mind went blank almost. I'm pretty sure I may have failed the second set of addresses.
I was the opposite. I blanked when I turned the page to the questions in the first part and guessed most of them. Second one I nailed, as I used word association and it worked perfectly. Really thought I'd failed the whole thing coz of the first part of this, but I passed.

Other info:
My position was MCS
FYI, it's MSC ( Mail Service Courier).

Oh and good luck with the result, fingers crossed :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Aug 28, 2011
294 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary
lukin66 wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 3:20 pm
Fingwerk...I'm a term MSC in Toronto. Never had to do a physical for my test ( back in October ) Did you do the physical yet? What did it entail?...Yes, MSC's are going to be phased out. I've got no idea either what that means for me ( or you ) Guess we'll find out. Anyone else know?

I didn't do the physical yet. Tomorrow I'll know whether or not I even passed the GAT.
Sep 13, 2011
303 posts
105 upvotes
fingwerk wrote:
Mar 1st, 2012 1:53 pm
The age average is quite old. I'd say the average is at least 35, me being evidently the youngest at 28/29. There were some who looked over 50.

I will do my very best to make sure my wife doesn't read this post...... :D

Great job detailing the GAT, that will surely help others down the road.

Good luck!!!!
Jan 12, 2012
17 posts
SOMEWHERE
It really does not make any sense they're hiring more MSC's when there is not even enough work for senior temps, perhaps CPC gets more volume on spring or what is the reason behind ?, I guess new temps will be waiting a long time to be called in if CPC is not getting higher volumes

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

timetotellthetruth