Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 7:46 pm
Huh? When was this going to occur? Next year, the year after or the year after that??

Charter right, to inflict monetary pain on the company and its own members until eternity?
Government was right to step in

Cmon, arbitration was the only way this was ever going to end and your smart enough to see that.
Yes, arbitration was the only way this was going to end because CPC knew the government would step in. If instead the government took a stand and said they are not stepping in under any curcumstances, I think it would have been resolved well before now. We all knew it was going to end this way because the government doesn’t respect the collective bargaining process.
May 2, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:03 pm
You're saying that if they occupied an MP's office for a day or two, that it wouldn't make the news, and send the same message? Interesting...
I don’t. There have been plenty of CUPW locals occupying MP offices over the last week and I haven’t seen it covered. I also think this direct action is more relatable because they are picketing for the same rights that were taken away from us at our place of work. Occupying an MPs office means joe public needs to connect the dots.
Jul 2, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
I hope every one of those meddling fools blocking the Vancouver and Stoney Creek facilities gets charged. You're not above the law just because you don't like the law. Masquerading as upstanding do-gooders for the common man isn't fooling anyone aside from the people who are already itching for something to rail against. And those people attempt to look larger in number than they really are.
Apr 12, 2011
621 posts
471 upvotes
Etobicoke
mikebc wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:05 pm
They force OT because they're required to send out every section of every route, everyday. If that means giving a fresh term 4 sections and having them bring back 2 then that's fine, as long as it leaves the station in an attempt for delivery. If you've ever heard someone talk about "taking it for a drive", that's what they mean. Sometimes they're joking, sometimes they're not.

So when you see a term get loaded with 4 sections it's not because to expected to finish it, it's because it needs to leave the station. The only way they'll force is when there aren't enough relief bodies to take out 4 sections each, at which point they need to force as per Canada Post's mandate.

Now I've come back to the station dozens of times and seen routes that haven't gone out and haven't been offered on OT. When I ask if I can take them out they have to say yes, but they're in no rush to put them up on emergency or call in terms to take them out at 3 PM.
Exactly this. Whenever they have forced OT (aka forceback - 1/4 of another route for 1.75 OT pay) you'll see almost half of that mail come back at the end of the day untouched. This is because the LC is already working OT on their own route; there is literally no time to finish a split (with parcels/packets and if you're unlucky enough, the flyer section) especially for any 2nd wavers.

So what many LCs do in this situation is just accept and take out the forceback mail, and then bring it all back (after working at least 1.75h overtime on their own route of course) The supervisor did their job, and you did yours by taking the forceback mail out.

Hopefully this forceback is something that gets taken out of the new contract.
Last edited by fishscale4sale on Nov 28th, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:07 pm
I don't always agree with you, but yes, this was obvious. They would have "negotiated" until the end of time, with these stupid rotating strikes and workers would never have gotten back the money they lost from strikes and no O/T, even if it was a 5% raise. I can hardly wait for 3 years from now, when we have to go through the same thing yet again.
Imo the only reason rotating strikes were used was in hopes the government wouldn’t step in with legislation. CPC was counting on legislation and they got it. If the libs publicly stated they wouldn’t intervene, do you honestly think CPC would have used the same strategy? Every step they took was to create a, “crisis” in the media to allow for the government to save the day. From releasing offers to the public via the media instead of at the bargaining table, putting time limits on offers, cutting off international mail, exaggerating backlogs, all of this was calculated.
Mar 11, 2016
133 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto
For those LCs doing weekend parcel delivery, how do you organize the stuff? Just wanted to get some tips/suggestions...Thanks!
Last edited by PtsuckS on Nov 28th, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD4LF. 😎
Apr 12, 2011
621 posts
471 upvotes
Etobicoke
Progatron wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:38 pm
I hope every one of those meddling fools blocking the Vancouver and Stoney Creek facilities gets charged. You're not above the law just because you don't like the law. Masquerading as upstanding do-gooders for the common man isn't fooling anyone aside from the people who are already itching for something to rail against. And those people attempt to look larger in number than they really are.
I don't think you know how unions work? Plenty of arrested members, and they're all martyrs.
May 2, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
Progatron wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:38 pm
That’s the whole point, these protests are about the government imposing a, “law” which is in direct violation of our charter rights.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
fishscale4sale wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:41 pm
I don't think you know how unions work? Plenty of arrested members, and they're all martyrs.
Lol, where can I find comrade Mikes statue from his arrest last strike/lockout???
Apr 30, 2015
803 posts
594 upvotes
York, ON
fishscale4sale wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:39 pm
Exactly this. Whenever they have forced OT (aka forceback - 1/4 of another route for 1.75 OT pay) you'll see almost half of that mail come back at the end of the day untouched. This is because the LC is already working OT on their own route; there is literally no time to finish a split (with parcels/packets and if you're unlucky enough, the flyer section) especially for any 2nd wavers.

So what many LCs do in this situation is just accept and take out the forceback mail, and then bring it all back (after working at least 1.75h overtime on their own route of course) The supervisor did their job, and you did yours by taking the forceback mail out.

Hopefully this forceback is something that gets taken out of the new contract.
Yeah it's this kind of game playing bs I have a real problem with. Nobody is doing their job, the mail is not getting delivered. When this happens, management should be held responsible.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:43 pm
That’s the whole point, these protests are about the government imposing a, “law” which is in direct violation of our charter rights.
Gee, glad you can predict the future cause this legislation hasn’t been ruled unconstitutional yet as far as I know

What i do know, is that the majority of letter carriers are glad its over and that CUPW couldn’t give a damn about them.
May 22, 2015
503 posts
688 upvotes
Vancouver
PtsuckS wrote:
For those LCs doing weekend parcel delivery, how do you organize the stuff? Just wanted to get some tips/suggestions...Thanks!
Go in early and try to snag a step van. Take a piece of paper for each route, write down the North/South addresses in one column (streets) and East/West addresses in the other (avenues).

Make sure to load your truck properly, prioritize signature items and leave CMB parcels behind. Focus on townhouses and apartments. If you're space limited then consider focusing on the smaller stuff and leave a few bigger ones behind (the carrier will probably card those on Monday).

Safedrop *everything* that's safe to do so. Most people are home, they're just not expecting a knock at the door. I usually just knock, drop, run and give them a wave/pointing motion as I'm backing out of their driveway.

I usually hit about 120-140 parcels in a shift; they want to see at least 15 per hour. Don't stress out if you're not hitting those numbers.

AND TAKE YOUR BREAKS because they won't let you sign out early.

edit: And don't forget to cut off early to give yourself time to drop off your carded parcels at the RPO. Most depots do not have an end of day run and many RPO's close at 4 or earlier on the weekend.
Last edited by mikebc on Nov 28th, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2011
621 posts
471 upvotes
Etobicoke
PtsuckS wrote:
For those LCs doing weekend parcel delivery, how do you organize the stuff? Just wanted to get some tips and not waste time, etc. Thanks.
EDIT: mikebc beat me to it! great advice
I usually take 2 routes of parcels, so I throw half to one side of stepvan and half to the other. I grab a parcel from cart and then roughly 'street' the parcels, making piles of parcels in the stepvan according to the street. Once I finish putting all the parcels into the van, I go over each one and re-arrange them in the order of street #, up or down doesn't matter.

Now my parcels are organized, and I just look at the header (or my GPS on my phone) and I pick a street to start with. So I stop at 12 Claire St, and I look to see the next parcel is 23 Claire St. so that's my next stop. If it's a busy street I might do all even #s first, and then go back down and do the odd side. Some people also like to write on a pad the street #s that have parcels to stop at. Other people write the header stop # on each parcel, and then they follow the header route.

It takes a few times to find a good system that works for you. You shouldn't feel like you need to rush when you're doing parcels only. Just make sure you have proper keys, charged battery and DNCards before you leave the depot.
Jul 2, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:43 pm
Yyyyyeah, I haven't forgotten what you're railing against. It's been repeated ad nauseum by every angry union member on every social media outlet since the legislation passed. Followed by the usual finger pointing and howls of traitorhood aimed at Captain Socks 'N Smiles (though rarely mentioning that it's now BOTH of Canada's major political parties who have had to force you back.)

Look, there's just no way to justify today's illegal activities. Being mad or feeling wronged doesn't cut it.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Progatron wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:04 pm
Yyyyyeah, I haven't forgotten what you're railing against. It's been repeated ad nauseum by every angry union member on every social media outlet since the legislation passed. Followed by the usual finger pointing and howls of traitorhood aimed at Captain Socks 'N Smiles (though rarely mentioning that it's now BOTH of Canada's major political parties who have had to force you back.)

Look, there's just no way to justify today's illegal activities. Being mad or feeling wronged doesn't cut it.
And these rallies are not in support of us workers. None of us asked for this. It’s just once again more political bs from our union leaders and it’s backers.

So tell me, pissing off out political leaders is a good strategy for future negotiations? Please tell me how?