Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Nov 11, 2018
7 posts
5 upvotes
Speaking of charter rights, would it not be a violation of my freedom of association to be forced to belong to a Union which probably spends alot of my money on things other than collective bargaining which I may not agree with?
I am not anti-Union, but our union seems to have an agenda far beyond negotiation of contracts. And I know some would say quit if you don't like it, but I happen to really like my job here at Canada Post.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
Dude31 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:18 pm
Speaking of charter rights, would it not be a violation of my freedom of association to be forced to belong to a Union which probably spends alot of my money on things other than collective bargaining which I may not agree with?
I am not anti-Union, but our union seems to have an agenda far beyond negotiation of contracts. And I know some would say quit if you don't like it, but I happen to really like my job here at Canada Post.
I think the fact that you are allowed to quit is your answer tbh.

I have similar if less strong feelings but I think In terms of rights, that is your answer.
Dec 13, 2016
750 posts
385 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:16 pm
I’m making an educated prediction based on the fact that our freedom of association and expression has essentially been removed by this legislation. While there is plenty of provisions which are much more balanced than the 2011 legislation, our rights are being stepped on by the very government who campaigned on the value of collective bargaining.

“On April 28, 2016, the Court found in favour of the Postal Workers' constitutional challenge to federal back-to-work legislation.[1] The Court found that the legislation was unconstitutional as it violated the workers' freedom of association and expression, as guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ("Charter").”

http://www.cavalluzzo.com/resources/new ... titutional
Your wasting your time, mate. That dude has all the nuance of a bag of spanners.
Nov 11, 2018
7 posts
5 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:27 pm
I think the fact that you are allowed to quit is your answer tbh.

I have similar if less strong feelings but I think In terms of rights, that is your answer.
You could be right but I do feel like there needs to be some reforms to the way things are done in Unions.

I have no problem paying for my portion of the cost related to collective bargaining, but the fact that they can use the rest of my dues for whatever purpose they want just seems wrong.

A better way would be to actually convince me of their point of view and then ask if I'd like to donate to that cause.
Oct 11, 2018
221 posts
126 upvotes
I'm just a happy term waiting for his first shift. I feel bad for @DestinyP22878 because of the crap they put her through the first day but I look forward to trial by fire. I feel the only way to learn the ins and outs is to have your feet held to the fire and figure it out before you get burned.
Nov 17, 2018
4 posts
11 upvotes
About forcebacks...

The bosses at our station got wise. You have to deliver the forceback piece first, then do the colour of the day on your route, then the priority parcels/scans/clearances, then as much as you can of the rest of your route.

Haven't seen any forced OT since the rotating strike situation... seems like parcels are the priority right now.
Banned
Dec 30, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:46 pm
I'm just a happy term waiting for his first shift. I feel bad for @DestinyP22878 because of the crap they put her through the first day but I look forward to trial by fire. I feel the only way to learn the ins and outs is to have your feet held to the fire and figure it out before you get burned.
You might have a better experience, my depot started me off with a couple days of 1 cut only (already sorted for me), then a week or two of 2 cuts, then finally 3 cuts. Went pretty smoothly, but the downside was I didn't get any practice at all sorting. They also started giving me 3 cuts on 3 different routes often which was mildly annoying at the time. I worked many 9-11 hour days because it was the winter and I was new and I had to go back and forth from the depot and wait for taxis etc. But I was pretty happy with the paycheques.

Later on though there was a lull in the non-stop work for 2 months straight so I got kind of out of shape. Then I was blasted back to full time hours except higher on the temp list since a bunch of people quit. so I was suddenly expected to do full routes including sorting (which I sucked at) and in a timely manner. That was right when the heat waves started to hit, and the Ikea and CT catalogs were coming out so it was overall pretty brutal. Lately it's been much easier.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1697 posts
1251 upvotes
at the chiropractors
misterpostman wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:24 pm
About forcebacks...

The bosses at our station got wise. You have to deliver the forceback piece first, then do the colour of the day on your route, then the priority parcels/scans/clearances, then as much as you can of the rest of your route.

Haven't seen any forced OT since the rotating strike situation... seems like parcels are the priority right now.
Oh the logic by management is top notch!! If you don't finish your own route, how exactly is that any better for the customer? If you leave off a 1/3 of your own route, isn't 1/3 of a route still not being delivered? Lol.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
813 posts
979 upvotes
Vancouver
1/3 of a route you know and can do in an hour and change if you sluff tons, versus 2.5 hours on someone else's route wandering around looking for mailboxes and hidden mail rooms.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1697 posts
1251 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:01 am
1/3 of a route you know and can do in an hour and change if you sluff tons, versus 2.5 hours on someone else's route wandering around looking for mailboxes and hidden mail rooms.
Right, so after doing 2.5 hours on someone else's route, maybe it is worse and you bring back 1/2 of your own mail instead of just that 1/3......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Mar 26, 2007
524 posts
180 upvotes
Scarborough
Dude31 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:32 pm
You could be right but I do feel like there needs to be some reforms to the way things are done in Unions.

I have no problem paying for my portion of the cost related to collective bargaining, but the fact that they can use the rest of my dues for whatever purpose they want just seems wrong.

A better way would be to actually convince me of their point of view and then ask if I'd like to donate to that cause.
You pay your tax base on the same system You elect the Rep,party then they decide how to spend your tax. You have any better suggestions? I vote you next time if you have better idea how to run...
Jun 20, 2016
97 posts
62 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:16 pm
I’m making an educated prediction based on the fact that our freedom of association and expression has essentially been removed by this legislation. While there is plenty of provisions which are much more balanced than the 2011 legislation, our rights are being stepped on by the very government who campaigned on the value of collective bargaining.

“On April 28, 2016, the Court found in favour of the Postal Workers' constitutional challenge to federal back-to-work legislation.[1] The Court found that the legislation was unconstitutional as it violated the workers' freedom of association and expression, as guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ("Charter").”

http://www.cavalluzzo.com/resources/new ... titutional
geeeze man, you running for office or something ?
May 21, 2013
815 posts
367 upvotes
Montreal
Am I able to take a certain amount of hours off my pay to put towards a sabbatical leave?
Feb 25, 2007
158 posts
22 upvotes
Thornhill
Dude31 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:32 pm

Government cannot please everyone and that is why they never have 100% approval rate. It is the same with the union. CUPW problem is trying to please everyone but they just can't. They should keep talking to members to see how they feel during negotiation and allow the member to vote if they feel majority of the members are ok with it. That is why every negotiation went downhill at the end. If they continue to negotiate like that, nobody will win.
Nov 15, 2018
33 posts
42 upvotes
Look, I understand that the union can't please everyone and it can't bring every decision to a vote in order to effectively represent us.

But if they're going to flagrantly disobey the law and invite others to do so, incurring fines that we'll end up paying in dues and prejudicing the arbitrator against us, I feel like they should have to run that by us first.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 2 guests)

Postieman, Helidaz, Progatron