Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 2, 2012
871 posts
454 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:03 pm
You're saying that if they occupied an MP's office for a day or two, that it wouldn't make the news, and send the same message? Interesting...
The news in Hamilton is regularly covering the protests in BC and Stoney Creek. TV and radio. I haven’t heard a peep about any of the numerous occupations that took place.
Jul 2, 2018
151 posts
98 upvotes
That's last night's news, but if it is indeed still going on today, I'm at a complete loss to understand how it is allowed to continue. Police said there were no arrests as it was a peaceful protest. Yes, peaceful as in non-violent, but it's obstructive. It should absolutely be stopped immediately and the people involved charged. If we are setting the precedent that it's acceptable to prevent businesses from functioning because we disagree with the law, we are in an awful lot of trouble. Or should I ask once again: is it only union thugs who get away with this kind of inflammatory, disruptive and illegal nonsense?

These people and the people proudly trumpeting their support for it are an absolute disgrace. Shameful.
Last edited by Progatron on Nov 29th, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
May 2, 2012
871 posts
454 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 10:58 am
Is the other union blocking Stoney Creek again today? I'm beginning to think I'm never going to get a call to work.

Nevermind, it appears there is:

https://www.narcity.com/canada-post-con ... in-ontario
Volumes are really low this week. I’m not sure if it was the strike Monday, or the obstruction last night, but other than fairly high %coverage I’ve been finishing at a reasonable time each day.
Oct 12, 2011
139 posts
71 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:41 pm
Imo the only reason rotating strikes were used was in hopes the government wouldn’t step in with legislation. CPC was counting on legislation and they got it. If the libs publicly stated they wouldn’t intervene, do you honestly think CPC would have used the same strategy? Every step they took was to create a, “crisis” in the media to allow for the government to save the day. From releasing offers to the public via the media instead of at the bargaining table, putting time limits on offers, cutting off international mail, exaggerating backlogs, all of this was calculated.
I've been totally shocked at the media coverage on this round of negotiations. The 'lost phone' one CBC was the death blow, hatchet jobs against CUPW one after the other.
Jun 17, 2011
551 posts
79 upvotes
are we back to the old contract ? is the union steward working representing us now ? I really need help
Koodo - Public mobile
May 22, 2015
810 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver
ksimms3 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:38 am
Am I able to take a certain amount of hours off my pay to put towards a sabbatical leave?
With maternity leave you can buy back your pensionable hours or something like that. I don't there's a way to pre-fund a paid sabatical but you can take an extended leave of absence up to 5 years without loss of seniority.

You'd have to call HR / PCNR, this isn't a question I'd want answered on an internet forum.
May 22, 2015
810 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver
seaking wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:53 pm
are we back to the old contract ? is the union steward working representing us now ? I really need help
Yes, we're under the 2011 collective agreement.
Jun 17, 2011
551 posts
79 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Yes, we're under the 2011 collective agreement.
thanks.

it is really not fair for me. missed hours work and also seniority problem.
Koodo - Public mobile
May 22, 2015
810 posts
974 upvotes
Vancouver
Care to expand on it? I don't think any of us are union reps but we have a pretty solid understanding of our rights under the collective agreement. Are you getting bypassed on the callout list?
Nov 15, 2018
33 posts
42 upvotes
rangeroad07 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:21 pm
I've been totally shocked at the media coverage on this round of negotiations. The 'lost phone' one CBC was the death blow, hatchet jobs against CUPW one after the other.
Ya, there was just a story on the CBC about a piece of wooden art sent through the mail getting damaged. The sender said that he had insurance and that he had sent many other pieces without issue, but "this isn't about the money, it should never have happened" because he "taped dozens of 'fragile' stickers to it." He had no reason to believe it had anything to do with the strike, but he suspected it probably did.

Sure he's owed an apology and an insurance payout, but, like, WTF? This is news? I guess the CBC is jealous that another crown corp can actually provide a valuable service instead of being a bilion-dollar sinkhole.
Jun 17, 2011
551 posts
79 upvotes
mikebc wrote: Care to expand on it? I don't think any of us are union reps but we have a pretty solid understanding of our rights under the collective agreement. Are you getting bypassed on the callout list?
Im a part time.
first they did not pay for training 2.5 hours
extra hours beside regular schedule

also there are missing hour from previous pay keep asking them but no reply

now to the biding. they just randomly pick the lower seniority than me got the hours i wanted and now they put me in a time frame that i cannot show up
Koodo - Public mobile
Jun 17, 2011
551 posts
79 upvotes
fluffyhat wrote: Ya, there was just a story on the CBC about a piece of wooden art sent through the mail getting damaged. The sender said that he had insurance and that he had sent many other pieces without issue, but "this isn't about the money, it should never have happened" because he "taped dozens of 'fragile' stickers to it." He had no reason to believe it had anything to do with the strike, but he suspected it probably did.

Sure he's owed an apology and an insurance payout, but, like, WTF? This is news? I guess the CBC is jealous that another crown corp can actually provide a valuable service instead of being a bilion-dollar sinkhole.

sometime I see a medium size package broken in to parts come to my hand. they put fragile but they did not pack properly. it is in a plastic bag. seriously I do not understand why they packed a fragile item in that way.
Koodo - Public mobile
Oct 24, 2018
20 posts
19 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:38 am
Am I able to take a certain amount of hours off my pay to put towards a sabbatical leave?
I did a 6 month sabbatical with the work options program in 2009. Just fill out the form and they do the rest. I chose 33.3% over 2 years and received around 17,000 during my six month sabbatical. Since in Quebec income taxes are so high I didn’t notice much of a difference in take home pay. The main reason I did it was to have at least one summer off with the kids before they got too old.

Thread Information

There are currently 11 users viewing this thread. (3 members and 8 guests)

Helidaz, TonyS44950, timetotellthetruth