Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 22, 2015
470 posts
657 upvotes
Vancouver
PtsuckS wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:41 pm
For those LCs doing weekend parcel delivery, how do you organize the stuff? Just wanted to get some tips/suggestions...Thanks!
Go in early and try to snag a step van. Take a piece of paper for each route, write down the North/South addresses in one column (streets) and East/West addresses in the other (avenues).

Make sure to load your truck properly, prioritize signature items and leave CMB parcels behind. Focus on townhouses and apartments. If you're space limited then consider focusing on the smaller stuff and leave a few bigger ones behind (the carrier will probably card those on Monday).

Safedrop *everything* that's safe to do so. Most people are home, they're just not expecting a knock at the door. I usually just knock, drop, run and give them a wave/pointing motion as I'm backing out of their driveway.

I usually hit about 120-140 parcels in a shift; they want to see at least 15 per hour. Don't stress out if you're not hitting those numbers.

AND TAKE YOUR BREAKS because they won't let you sign out early.

edit: And don't forget to cut off early to give yourself time to drop off your carded parcels at the RPO. Most depots do not have an end of day run and many RPO's close at 4 or earlier on the weekend.
Last edited by mikebc on Nov 28th, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2011
617 posts
469 upvotes
Etobicoke
PtsuckS wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:41 pm
For those LCs doing weekend parcel delivery, how do you organize the stuff? Just wanted to get some tips and not waste time, etc. Thanks.
EDIT: mikebc beat me to it! great advice
I usually take 2 routes of parcels, so I throw half to one side of stepvan and half to the other. I grab a parcel from cart and then roughly 'street' the parcels, making piles of parcels in the stepvan according to the street. Once I finish putting all the parcels into the van, I go over each one and re-arrange them in the order of street #, up or down doesn't matter.

Now my parcels are organized, and I just look at the header (or my GPS on my phone) and I pick a street to start with. So I stop at 12 Claire St, and I look to see the next parcel is 23 Claire St. so that's my next stop. If it's a busy street I might do all even #s first, and then go back down and do the odd side. Some people also like to write on a pad the street #s that have parcels to stop at. Other people write the header stop # on each parcel, and then they follow the header route.

It takes a few times to find a good system that works for you. You shouldn't feel like you need to rush when you're doing parcels only. Just make sure you have proper keys, charged battery and DNCards before you leave the depot.
Jul 2, 2018
124 posts
95 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:43 pm
That’s the whole point, these protests are about the government imposing a, “law” which is in direct violation of our charter rights.
Yyyyyeah, I haven't forgotten what you're railing against. It's been repeated ad nauseum by every angry union member on every social media outlet since the legislation passed. Followed by the usual finger pointing and howls of traitorhood aimed at Captain Socks 'N Smiles (though rarely mentioning that it's now BOTH of Canada's major political parties who have had to force you back.)

Look, there's just no way to justify today's illegal activities. Being mad or feeling wronged doesn't cut it.
Apr 7, 2013
858 posts
494 upvotes
LONDON
Progatron wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:04 pm
Yyyyyeah, I haven't forgotten what you're railing against. It's been repeated ad nauseum by every angry union member on every social media outlet since the legislation passed. Followed by the usual finger pointing and howls of traitorhood aimed at Captain Socks 'N Smiles (though rarely mentioning that it's now BOTH of Canada's major political parties who have had to force you back.)

Look, there's just no way to justify today's illegal activities. Being mad or feeling wronged doesn't cut it.
And these rallies are not in support of us workers. None of us asked for this. It’s just once again more political bs from our union leaders and it’s backers.

So tell me, pissing off out political leaders is a good strategy for future negotiations? Please tell me how?
May 2, 2012
816 posts
428 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 8:47 pm
Gee, glad you can predict the future cause this legislation hasn’t been ruled unconstitutional yet as far as I know

What i do know, is that the majority of letter carriers are glad its over and that CUPW couldn’t give a damn about them.
I’m making an educated prediction based on the fact that our freedom of association and expression has essentially been removed by this legislation. While there is plenty of provisions which are much more balanced than the 2011 legislation, our rights are being stepped on by the very government who campaigned on the value of collective bargaining.

“On April 28, 2016, the Court found in favour of the Postal Workers' constitutional challenge to federal back-to-work legislation.[1] The Court found that the legislation was unconstitutional as it violated the workers' freedom of association and expression, as guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ("Charter").”

http://www.cavalluzzo.com/resources/new ... titutional
Nov 11, 2018
7 posts
5 upvotes
Speaking of charter rights, would it not be a violation of my freedom of association to be forced to belong to a Union which probably spends alot of my money on things other than collective bargaining which I may not agree with?
I am not anti-Union, but our union seems to have an agenda far beyond negotiation of contracts. And I know some would say quit if you don't like it, but I happen to really like my job here at Canada Post.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
Dude31 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:18 pm
Speaking of charter rights, would it not be a violation of my freedom of association to be forced to belong to a Union which probably spends alot of my money on things other than collective bargaining which I may not agree with?
I am not anti-Union, but our union seems to have an agenda far beyond negotiation of contracts. And I know some would say quit if you don't like it, but I happen to really like my job here at Canada Post.
I think the fact that you are allowed to quit is your answer tbh.

I have similar if less strong feelings but I think In terms of rights, that is your answer.
Dec 13, 2016
718 posts
374 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:16 pm
I’m making an educated prediction based on the fact that our freedom of association and expression has essentially been removed by this legislation. While there is plenty of provisions which are much more balanced than the 2011 legislation, our rights are being stepped on by the very government who campaigned on the value of collective bargaining.

“On April 28, 2016, the Court found in favour of the Postal Workers' constitutional challenge to federal back-to-work legislation.[1] The Court found that the legislation was unconstitutional as it violated the workers' freedom of association and expression, as guaranteed under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms ("Charter").”

http://www.cavalluzzo.com/resources/new ... titutional
Your wasting your time, mate. That dude has all the nuance of a bag of spanners.
Nov 11, 2018
7 posts
5 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 9:27 pm
I think the fact that you are allowed to quit is your answer tbh.

I have similar if less strong feelings but I think In terms of rights, that is your answer.
You could be right but I do feel like there needs to be some reforms to the way things are done in Unions.

I have no problem paying for my portion of the cost related to collective bargaining, but the fact that they can use the rest of my dues for whatever purpose they want just seems wrong.

A better way would be to actually convince me of their point of view and then ask if I'd like to donate to that cause.
Oct 11, 2018
200 posts
117 upvotes
I'm just a happy term waiting for his first shift. I feel bad for @DestinyP22878 because of the crap they put her through the first day but I look forward to trial by fire. I feel the only way to learn the ins and outs is to have your feet held to the fire and figure it out before you get burned.
Nov 17, 2018
4 posts
11 upvotes
About forcebacks...

The bosses at our station got wise. You have to deliver the forceback piece first, then do the colour of the day on your route, then the priority parcels/scans/clearances, then as much as you can of the rest of your route.

Haven't seen any forced OT since the rotating strike situation... seems like parcels are the priority right now.
Dec 30, 2017
10 posts
3 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:46 pm
I'm just a happy term waiting for his first shift. I feel bad for @DestinyP22878 because of the crap they put her through the first day but I look forward to trial by fire. I feel the only way to learn the ins and outs is to have your feet held to the fire and figure it out before you get burned.
You might have a better experience, my depot started me off with a couple days of 1 cut only (already sorted for me), then a week or two of 2 cuts, then finally 3 cuts. Went pretty smoothly, but the downside was I didn't get any practice at all sorting. They also started giving me 3 cuts on 3 different routes often which was mildly annoying at the time. I worked many 9-11 hour days because it was the winter and I was new and I had to go back and forth from the depot and wait for taxis etc. But I was pretty happy with the paycheques.

Later on though there was a lull in the non-stop work for 2 months straight so I got kind of out of shape. Then I was blasted back to full time hours except higher on the temp list since a bunch of people quit. so I was suddenly expected to do full routes including sorting (which I sucked at) and in a timely manner. That was right when the heat waves started to hit, and the Ikea and CT catalogs were coming out so it was overall pretty brutal. Lately it's been much easier.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1505 posts
1099 upvotes
at the chiropractors
misterpostman wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 11:24 pm
About forcebacks...

The bosses at our station got wise. You have to deliver the forceback piece first, then do the colour of the day on your route, then the priority parcels/scans/clearances, then as much as you can of the rest of your route.

Haven't seen any forced OT since the rotating strike situation... seems like parcels are the priority right now.
Oh the logic by management is top notch!! If you don't finish your own route, how exactly is that any better for the customer? If you leave off a 1/3 of your own route, isn't 1/3 of a route still not being delivered? Lol.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
May 22, 2015
470 posts
657 upvotes
Vancouver
1/3 of a route you know and can do in an hour and change if you sluff tons, versus 2.5 hours on someone else's route wandering around looking for mailboxes and hidden mail rooms.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1505 posts
1099 upvotes
at the chiropractors
mikebc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 12:01 am
1/3 of a route you know and can do in an hour and change if you sluff tons, versus 2.5 hours on someone else's route wandering around looking for mailboxes and hidden mail rooms.
Right, so after doing 2.5 hours on someone else's route, maybe it is worse and you bring back 1/2 of your own mail instead of just that 1/3......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)