Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Oct 24, 2018
17 posts
15 upvotes
ksimms3 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 6:38 am
Am I able to take a certain amount of hours off my pay to put towards a sabbatical leave?
I did a 6 month sabbatical with the work options program in 2009. Just fill out the form and they do the rest. I chose 33.3% over 2 years and received around 17,000 during my six month sabbatical. Since in Quebec income taxes are so high I didn’t notice much of a difference in take home pay. The main reason I did it was to have at least one summer off with the kids before they got too old.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Causing financial damages to Canada Post is the goal of these morons and no doubt comrade Mike supports these idiots.

Yeah, the union solidified our future with Liberals and Conservatives- look out next negotiation, if we’re lucky they’ll forget the insults thrown at them by these crooked bastards!
Oct 11, 2018
216 posts
125 upvotes
I just want some work. When I first applied, I took a recommendation to apply to Hamilton due to work being plentiful. It's Christmas rush and I haven't got a single call all week. Disheartening to say the least. I do know this is due to job action earlier in the week and now these guys blocking outgoing mail.

I just want to work.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 5:30 pm
I just want some work. When I first applied, I took a recommendation to apply to Hamilton due to work being plentiful. It's Christmas rush and I haven't got a single call all week. Disheartening to say the least. I do know this is due to job action earlier in the week and now these guys blocking outgoing mail.

I just want to work.
We all do, perhaps someone needs to let our wonderful union know.
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
So because of the idiotic picketing, did Hamilton carriers have to wait for their mail?
Dec 13, 2016
728 posts
379 upvotes
fluffyhat wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 1:50 pm
Ya, there was just a story on the CBC about a piece of wooden art sent through the mail getting damaged. The sender said that he had insurance and that he had sent many other pieces without issue, but "this isn't about the money, it should never have happened" because he "taped dozens of 'fragile' stickers to it." He had no reason to believe it had anything to do with the strike, but he suspected it probably did.

Sure he's owed an apology and an insurance payout, but, like, WTF? This is news? I guess the CBC is jealous that another crown corp can actually provide a valuable service instead of being a bilion-dollar sinkhole.
Is he even owed an apology? Putting fragile stickers on something doesn’t mean shit. Was it packed correctly?
Jul 7, 2014
295 posts
219 upvotes
Burlington, ON
1/2 hour late , and damn heavy. Killed on seq and flats.
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 5:37 pm
So because of the idiotic picketing, did Hamilton carriers have to wait for their mail?
May 2, 2012
825 posts
433 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
stalbert1 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 5:37 pm
Nope. It was there on time for the first time in about a month. We regularly have a late (9:30) truck that wasn’t there today.
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 28th, 2018 10:46 pm
I'm just a happy term waiting for his first shift. I feel bad for @DestinyP22878 because of the crap they put her through the first day but I look forward to trial by fire. I feel the only way to learn the ins and outs is to have your feet held to the fire and figure it out before you get burned.
Spoke to quite a few people higher up who have all apologized to me for the way things were handled on my first day. I’m transferring depots, but thinking about it now, I’m kind of glad I experienced a really shitty hard day. It might make a lot of my other days easier moving forward. Now I know what to expect.
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 5:30 pm

I just want to work
That’s strange. I had a week long assignment this week but only went Monday (my first day) and then last night I got another call for a 4 week assignment for the same depot (the one I’m transferring out of). I refused it. But, I also heard that Waterloo depot is known for overburdening and tons of forced OT so maybe it’s just a busier place!
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2009
1583 posts
133 upvotes
onatrio
curious with my situation..where is there time to take a break or lunch...
start at 7am-3pm
we always have late truck ..so we leave at 10 am..ok thats 3 hours
3 splits of 1.75 each..that equals 5 hours and 15 minutes
and than because shoppers wants an additional clearance pickup at 2.30 for there convenience...
just thinking where do i have time to have 2 breaks and lunch equalling 1 hour with out going into overtime daily
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1524 posts
1117 upvotes
at the chiropractors
dcjcdc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 11:36 pm
curious with my situation..where is there time to take a break or lunch...
start at 7am-3pm
we always have late truck ..so we leave at 10 am..ok thats 3 hours
3 splits of 1.75 each..that equals 5 hours and 15 minutes
and than because shoppers wants an additional clearance pickup at 2.30 for there convenience...
just thinking where do i have time to have 2 breaks and lunch equalling 1 hour with out going into overtime daily
You don't go without. Unfortunately the correct answer is to take your breaks and get paid o/t daily. I would only "skip breaks" when it means that you can get done in 5 hours, which on some routes is simply impossible...
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

BestorNothing