Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 13, 2016
725 posts
379 upvotes
dcjcdc wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 11:36 pm
curious with my situation..where is there time to take a break or lunch...
start at 7am-3pm
we always have late truck ..so we leave at 10 am..ok thats 3 hours
3 splits of 1.75 each..that equals 5 hours and 15 minutes
and than because shoppers wants an additional clearance pickup at 2.30 for there convenience...
just thinking where do i have time to have 2 breaks and lunch equalling 1 hour with out going into overtime daily
You should literally book an hour and 15 mins of OT every day. I would milk it until they figure out how to get the truck to come on time.
Oct 11, 2018
212 posts
125 upvotes
DestinyP22878 wrote:
Nov 29th, 2018 9:32 pm
That’s strange. I had a week long assignment this week but only went Monday (my first day) and then last night I got another call for a 4 week assignment for the same depot (the one I’m transferring out of). I refused it. But, I also heard that Waterloo depot is known for overburdening and tons of forced OT so maybe it’s just a busier place!
I just spoke to staffing in Hamilton and asked her about not getting any calls this week. She said they are "still figuring stuff out" and that the "mail hasn't started to flow at full capacity yet".

Whatever the reason, I am starting to question things as it's Christmas rush and so many people said I'd be slammed etc etc.
Dec 13, 2016
725 posts
379 upvotes
PtsuckS wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:08 am
CMBs left open in Milton ON

Another slow news day in the GTA....? :facepalm:
Lol, this probably happens every day somewhere. It’s obviously a mistake.

I think most people don’t understand what the atmosphere is like in most depots. Workers and management aren’t at each other’s throats and no one is ‘sabotaging’ anything.

It’s just a job with a lot of repetition and a lot of ‘stuff’ to remember and people make mistakes.
Jul 2, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:47 am
I just spoke to staffing in Hamilton and asked her about not getting any calls this week. She said they are "still figuring stuff out" and that the "mail hasn't started to flow at full capacity yet".
That's for sure! I've had nothing but flyers all week. I wonder what the hold up is...
Oct 24, 2018
50 posts
19 upvotes
Kitchener
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 8:47 am

Whatever the reason, I am starting to question things as it's Christmas rush and so many people said I'd be slammed etc etc.
Hang in there - I’m sure you’ll be called soon. One guy from my training class is at the Guelph depot and he hasn’t been called yet either. All depots are going to be different. You’ll get called eventually!
Mar 24, 2016
531 posts
452 upvotes
scarborough
Can someone please check their personal days on mysap. I would swear i had more personal hours that what is stated. The amount of personal days is correct but the initial amount given i think has changed
Oct 11, 2018
212 posts
125 upvotes
Progatron wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 9:34 am
That's for sure! I've had nothing but flyers all week. I wonder what the hold up is...
You're in Hamilton? Two of my classmates have been offered LTAs starting this upcoming Monday till January 5th, albeit at different depots than mine. I'm in Stoney Creek and they were offered the assignments at depot 1.

The rest of my classmates are sitting around, twiddling their thumbs.
May 2, 2012
823 posts
431 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
ocallaghand wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 10:36 am
You're in Hamilton? Two of my classmates have been offered LTAs starting this upcoming Monday till January 5th, albeit at different depots than mine. I'm in Stoney Creek and they were offered the assignments at depot 1.

There was no sequence today at depot 1. Things are definitely not back to normal.

Do you get to choose the depot you work out of?
Oct 11, 2018
212 posts
125 upvotes
pike18 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:03 am
There was no sequence today at depot 1. Things are definitely not back to normal.

Do you get to choose the depot you work out of?
We were all given the depots where we did our 1 day job shadowing. I guess any of the Hamilton depots could technically use us, but we were told we all have our own "home depot".

I did my week OTJ up in Ancaster. @pike18 are you suggesting I ask to be moved to somewhere else?
Jul 2, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
ocallaghand wrote:
You're in Hamilton?
Yes, but I'm not a postie! Just someone who uses CP a lot for work. I'm probably a rare breed here, as I don't care for the union OR the corporation. I like the posties themselves, for the most part. I get baffled looks from people when I tell them how interesting I find the postal system, and that I think tracking mail is fun. Haha!
pike18 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:03 am
Any educated guesses as to why that is? I would have thought that a few full days in now, things would be moving. Just curious.
May 22, 2015
503 posts
687 upvotes
Vancouver
Progatron wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:32 am
Any educated guesses as to why that is? I would have thought that a few full days in now, things would be moving. Just curious.
Protestors at Hamilton aren't letting trucks leave. I'm not sure if that's the entire reason but workers are certainly in no rush to get things moving again.

In depots like mine, carriers are absolutely soaking up the OT to get things back on track (not because they care, they just want the money and management has opened the flood gates). Smaller depots with more of a union presence may be the opposite, working to rule. Shutting everything down Monday night really screwed up the flow of mail, at this point things might be so messed up that they're running the mail side of the plant with barebones staffing to throw as much manpower at the parcel backlog so they have space to put all the incoming trailers. A lot of senior carriers are calling in sick as well (with 15 minutes notice), so there's not much extra help around many depots and calling in a new term to take out a route at noon is guaranteeing not much will be accomplished there.

Almost every depot will be working Saturday and Sunday, delivering parcels only, so they have a chance to really make some progress this weekend if Mississauga can churn out as many parcels as possible.
Jul 2, 2018
125 posts
95 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:47 am
Protestors at Hamilton aren't letting trucks leave. I'm not sure if that's the entire reason but workers are certainly in no rush to get things moving again.
Wait, that's still going on? Or do you mean the Wednesday night activity?

mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 11:47 am
Almost every depot will be working Saturday and Sunday, delivering parcels only, so they have a chance to really make some progress this weekend if Mississauga can churn out as many parcels as possible.
Interesting. I assume Gateway is operating at full capacity then, unlike the depots? I suppose we can expect Saturday and Sunday deliveries between now and January.
May 22, 2015
503 posts
687 upvotes
Vancouver
ocallaghand wrote:
This is normal, it sounds like you lost the seniority draw and you're at the bottom of your class. Once you get placed you'll know you're above the cutoff line for covers and you should be okay. Since you've graduated there's probably 200 new hires beneath you in the same position.

By the sounds of it, Hamilton/Stoney is absolutely messed up right now so you're in the epicenter of it all.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

dieselboy27