Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Not much else to do but sit around and spitball when there's no mail to deliver :)

Our depot is all caught up, back to normal volumes. I'm still working this weekend though, because double time working at your own pace is A+ #1 awesome.
Oct 26, 2018
32 posts
16 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 12:10 pm
Not much else to do but sit around and spitball when there's no mail to deliver :)

Our depot is all caught up, back to normal volumes. I'm still working this weekend though, because double time working at your own pace is A+ #1 awesome.

My station, in the GTA, has been asking everyone if they want to work weekend OT. I split my time between two jobs at the moment and havent cleared 40 hours this week at CP. So Im guessing it wouldnt be OT for me, unless theres a special weekend (or maybe only Sunday) payrate at CP?
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
RDO (weekend delivery) translates to rest day overtime, meaning you're working on your scheduled day off. So I'm pretty sure you get double time regardless of how many days you get in the coming week. I don't think hours worked has anything to do with it, just like how if you work 4 10 hour days and take Friday off, you still get paid 8 hours of OT at 1.5x. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm 90% sure you'd get double rate.

edit: Though it seems like their new "flex shift" is trying to do away with that. Personally I think 4 by 10 is great, I did it when I worked for Parks Canada and I loved it.
Jul 2, 2018
151 posts
98 upvotes
So it's safe to assume that those of us in the Toronto/Hamilton corridor will be seeing a lot of long backed-up parcels seeing the light of day tomorrow and Sunday?

(Providing the labour union chuckleheads actually get on with their lives and don't jam up the proceedings while the cops watch from a distance, that is...)
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
I'd assume a lot of the domestic backups will start moving again. They might not get delivered but they'll probably start getting tracking updates at least letting you know what plant it's stuck at. If something gets processed at Gateway on Saturday it's still not going to processed in Vancouver until Monday (and delivered Tuesday). From what I've read, GTA is just straight fubar and it's anyone's guess if they're even capable of dealing with parcels in order of when they arrived. They might just grab the first available trailer, which could be newer than one of the shipping containers parked against the back fence.
Jul 2, 2018
151 posts
98 upvotes
Interesting... what do you make of this one? Mailed from New Jersey on the 13th, arrived (officially) in Canada 12 days later (usually it's 3 days tops, this is an LJ tracking code - but obviously with all the mess recently it took a while), cleared customs and was processed/shipped out of Montreal. In transit for southern Ontario. From past experience, the quickest step of the way is the last one, usually half a day before it tracks as processed as expedited parcel in either Mississauga or Stoney Creek, then delivered same day or next day. But it's been five days now in limbo on this last part of its journey... I feel like I should have seen it track as processed nearby, even if it was going to be stuck in the final sort facility for a few more days. I had hoped that clearing customs and being on its way would have been the major hurdle at this point.

Any thoughts? Purely for curiosity's sake.

2018/11/25 18:36 MONTREAL, QC Item in transit
2018/11/25 16:12 MONTREAL, QC Item processed
2018/11/25 10:50 VILLE ST-LAURENT, QC Item has arrived in Canada and was sent for further processing.
2018/11/25 00:01 Canada Delivery may be delayed due to labour disruption
2018/11/13 13:58 08043, USA International item mailed in originating country
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
So that sat in the Customs backlog for 12 days, went out from MTL immediately, dropped off in GTA now sitting in a trailer waiting to be scanned in. So once it actually gets an update you'll know it should be delivered in a few days. On the plus side they didn't turn it around and send it back.

So at least that confirms there's no backlog in Montreal. On time delivery is solely based on if you can get your stuff to avoid the Mississagua black hole.
Jul 2, 2018
151 posts
98 upvotes
Thanks. It's that "scanned in" update I've been waiting for, for the last few days, just to know that it's progressing, even if slowly. This is a frequent shipment (business related) for me, and I've been spoiled by how lightning fast it has been over the last seven years since I've been ordering from this place (if I order on the weekend, they ship on Monday and I have it by Friday, sometimes even Thursday.) I think even over the Christmas rush last year, it was like one more day than usual. I wonder if it will move at all over this coming weekend.

Do the processing plant workers tend to lap up the OT just as much as the LCs do?
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Senior plant workers are known to tell new guys to slow down so it creates overtime opportunity. So yes, they're used to working a lot, hopefully they'll be moving with a bit of speed in their step too.
Jul 2, 2018
151 posts
98 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:39 pm
Senior plant workers are known to tell new guys to slow down so it creates overtime opportunity. So yes, they're used to working a lot, hopefully they'll be moving with a bit of speed in their step too.
Is that even necessary at this point? (In Mississauga, anyway) Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Nov 12, 2017
194 posts
192 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 1:39 pm
These people are ridiculous. I was probably the most hated person among the workers there because I actually give a s*it about my job.

Watching these people work drives me crazy, and there is absolutely no way they could find a job outside without getting fired or any sort of disciplinary actions.

They have been working there for 10+ years, making top rate and still clueless about most things, keep making stupid mistakes including but not limited to; throwing sequenced mail into the mono (which mess up the order), putting tubs into the wrong IDC/Mono and dispatch them to the wrong places, causing jam on the MLOCR because they don't sweep promptly, casuing sequencing error because they don't sweep and combine properly, severely underperforming while feeding the machine, leaving their workstation for extended period of time, chitchating way too much to do any real work.

I usually just mind my own business and give my best to what I'm assigned to do, but it really makes me sad that the company is going downhill and I'm unable to advance within because of these useless and lazy people ahead of me.

Like I said many posts ago, I'm finding my way out, unionized job is probably not for me.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
Depends if it's a scheduled shift or not.

Are you looking at switching to P04? LC's make double time.
May 22, 2015
804 posts
968 upvotes
Vancouver
leyland1989 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2018 2:09 pm
Like I said many posts ago, I'm finding my way out, unionized job is probably not for me.
Have you considered sticking out plant work until you get FT then transferring over to letter carrier? It's worth it if you're frustrated being inside.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

TonyS44950, advantage21