Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Dec 23, 2011
195 posts
132 upvotes
toronto
I gave all the tips I got to my route holder.

More importantly though,
price of lamb went up 10% this year,
Price of coke doubled in less than a decade
Inflation is gonna overshoot 3% on nessecities
Price of housing more than doubled over such a short time.
and we are struggling to get 1% annual raises with a below avg pay to begin with.
Jun 20, 2016
85 posts
57 upvotes
dont think ive ever eaten lamb..... how's the price increase compare to arugula ?
Nov 20, 2004
301 posts
274 upvotes
Vancouver
Question: in regards to filling company vehicles with company cards, can one collect loyalty points (PC optimum, air miles) on their personal accounts or is it not allowed?
Apr 7, 2013
854 posts
489 upvotes
LONDON
flameboy54 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 7:47 pm
Question: in regards to filling company vehicles with company cards, can one collect loyalty points (PC optimum, air miles) on their personal accounts or is it not allowed?
Yep, did that today! (Air miles)
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
flameboy54 wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 7:47 pm
I was told in training that we would get fired if we stole from the company (that’s the one sure way to get fired) and their example was collecting points on gas. We were told literally not do that one thing.

However, I moved to bc after training and almost everyone does it. So I guess it’s ok?
May 22, 2015
457 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver
Everyone does it. They banned it a few years ago then a VP got caught skimming points on her corporate vehicle and it was magically never talked about again. Personally I like Esso and their Optimum points that you can use at Superstore.

I don't see how it's stealing, the points would otherwise go unused. If you're filling up your own jerry can then yeah, I can see a conflict there.
Last edited by mikebc on Dec 30th, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jul 6, 2017
163 posts
124 upvotes
jmomccxx wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 9:05 pm
I was told in training that we would get fired if we stole from the company (that’s the one sure way to get fired) and their example was collecting points on gas. We were told literally not do that one thing.

However, I moved to bc after training and almost everyone does it. So I guess it’s ok?
I was literally told in training to go nuts on your own points card when you fill up. Just don't fill with premium.
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 9:34 pm
Everyone does it. They banned it a few years ago then a VP got caught skimming points on her corporate vehicle and it was magically never talked about again. Personally I like Esso and their Optimum points that you can use at Superstore.

I don't see how it's stealing, the points would otherwise go unused. If you're filling up your own jerry can then yeah, I can see a conflict there.
I feel like it is stealing technically. Just because something isn’t being used, doesn’t mean it is up for grabs. That wouldn’t only change if we were told to do so like vanmailman was. I wasn’t though.

I’ve also never done it because if they ever needed a convenient way to fire people, they could use something like that. That might be me being paranoid.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1500 posts
1096 upvotes
at the chiropractors
Good luck in court firing someone for that. I can't see it. I know of people getting fired for filling up their own vehicles with a company credit card, that is stealing. Explain to me how using a seperate points card is taking ANYTHING away from the company.....it doesn't make any sense. There is 0 financial harm. Hell, my supervisors would fill up vehicles when they "borrowed" them to go out on calls, just to use their own point cards....lol....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 11:36 pm
Good luck in court firing someone for that. I can't see it. I know of people getting fired for filling up their own vehicles with a company credit card, that is stealing. Explain to me how using a seperate points card is taking ANYTHING away from the company.....it doesn't make any sense. There is 0 financial harm. Hell, my supervisors would fill up vehicles when they "borrowed" them to go out on calls, just to use their own point cards....lol....
Someone not using something or maybe not ever using something, literally saying that they will never use it or even having no capacity to use it in the future, is not a green light to take it.

It’s textbook stealing unless you have been told it is ok to do it. It’s irrelevant if they can use the points, if they want to use the points or whatever.

Unless it is company policy or I have it in writing, then I’m not taking that chance.
May 22, 2015
457 posts
641 upvotes
Vancouver
That's a whole new can of worms. Technically rounding up to the closest 15 is also "theft" yet it is common place.

Can it be construed as theft? In the most literal sense, yes. Would the union go to war for you if they decided to enforce it out of the blue? Yes. Would you get fired outright without a verbal or written warning? That is *very* unlikely.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn't, we're talking about pennies a month. Have I ever heard of anything being done about it? Never.
Dec 13, 2016
714 posts
373 upvotes
mikebc wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 1:29 am
That's a whole new can of worms. Technically rounding up to the closest 15 is also "theft" yet it is common place.

Can it be construed as theft? In the most literal sense, yes. Would the union go to war for you if they decided to enforce it out of the blue? Yes. Would you get fired outright without a verbal or written warning? That is *very* unlikely.

If someone doesn't feel comfortable doing it then they shouldn't, we're talking about pennies a month. Have I ever heard of anything being done about it? Never.
You said it wasn’t stealing and I explained that that’s what it literally is.

I have no problem with other people doing whatever they want. I was just pointing out that I was warned not to do it.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1500 posts
1096 upvotes
at the chiropractors
jmomccxx wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 11:44 pm
Someone not using something or maybe not ever using something, literally saying that they will never use it or even having no capacity to use it in the future, is not a green light to take it.

It’s textbook stealing unless you have been told it is ok to do it. It’s irrelevant if they can use the points, if they want to use the points or whatever.

Unless it is company policy or I have it in writing, then I’m not taking that chance.
Then do as you wish!!!! I am just saying, what are you taking from the company exactly? In fact, often there is a promo at shell to get money OFF YOUR GAS when you use your airmile card. So when I go there and put in my airmiles, it is actually TAKING OFF 3 cents a litre for the COMPANY!!!!! They are going to fire me for saving them money on gas???? Whatever, see you in court.....
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 24, 2018
20 posts
21 upvotes
using your points card is not an issue, using the gas card to fill up your personal car is theft, same as filling a jerry can. they get a report every month showing each time you use the gas card, how many liters were used, and the capacity of the vehicles gas tank. they know the kms driven each day on average. very easy to figure out how much is being charged or overcharged. the cards are belong to each vehicle they cannot be used to fill up another vehicle without triggering an investigation as to why
May 2, 2012
813 posts
425 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
jmomccxx wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 11:10 pm
I feel like it is stealing technically. Just because something isn’t being used, doesn’t mean it is up for grabs. That wouldn’t only change if we were told to do so like vanmailman was. I wasn’t though.

I’ve also never done it because if they ever needed a convenient way to fire people, they could use something like that. That might be me being paranoid.
I think the one distinction is that you’re not earning points because you’re buying gas, you’re earning them because you choose to buy gas at a certain location. You could easily buy gas at the most expensive location because it’s closer to the depot and that is just as much a benefit for some. The corporation isn’t missing out on gaining anything by you buying gas at a certain location. I guess this would be different if they had an unofficial partnership and you chose to go elsewhere.

At the end of the day, I don’t see how earning pints is any different than getting a free coffee included with a fill up.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)