Careers

[Merged] Ask Me About Working For Canada Post

Jan 13, 2013
352 posts
177 upvotes
Vancouver
2techs wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:30 pm
A customer told me don't bring flyers here and gave dirty looks in the process. I'll honor that request, but should I cut off all her mail for a few weeks? Maybe she won't miss any important letters either.
Ooh, a dirty look. Are you ok? Maybe you should take some time off for such trauma.
Act like a professional and do your job.
May 22, 2015
808 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
Just tell them you require posted notice on her mailbox and leave it at that. I tend to give out way more dirty looks than I receive so the universe's entropy is bound to throw some my way from time to time.
Oct 28, 2018
3 posts
mikebc wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:46 pm
Just tell them you require posted notice on her mailbox and leave it at that. I tend to give out way more dirty looks than I receive so the universe's entropy is bound to throw some my way from time to time.
my response was an irrelevant "are you having a bad day." I'll be more professional next time.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
2techs wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 6:30 pm
A customer told me don't bring flyers here and gave dirty looks in the process. I'll honor that request, but should I cut off all her mail for a few weeks? Maybe she won't miss any important letters either.
you can't honor her request because it can't be a verbal request. She has to put a "no flyers" notice on her mailbox or your supervisor will write you up for not delivering flyers. Which essentially means that you will probably still be giving her flyers as I find that miserable people are generally great at giving out shit to everybody else, but no so great at being dealing with their end of the responsibility......
Sometimes the truth hurts. The other times it hurts worse....
Apr 12, 2011
665 posts
534 upvotes
Etobicoke
timetotellthetruth wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 8:10 pm
you can't honor her request because it can't be a verbal request. She has to put a "no flyers" notice on her mailbox or your supervisor will write you up for not delivering flyers. Which essentially means that you will probably still be giving her flyers as I find that miserable people are generally great at giving out shit to everybody else, but no so great at being dealing with their end of the responsibility......
I had an angry-face customer tell me 'I don't want flyers', I told them nice and professional that they must put a 'no flyers' sign on their mailbox, and they were livid. 'The sign looks tacky. I am telling you I don't want flyers, so why do I have to put a sign up?' was her response. I explained that it is simply canada post policy, and then a few days later a piece of paper was taped to the mailbox saying "NO FLYERS!!!"

Funny thing is, after a few days the taped paper was already falling off, and as soon as the sign fell off I put a set of 7-8 flyers into the mailbox. Canada Post policy for the win.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
I thought the procedure was inform your supervisor and they will give you a red dot to put on the mailbox or slot..
If someone gets really pissy with me I let them know they have to call customer service to arrange it.
May 22, 2015
808 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
Policy is to update your logbook to reflect that an address no longer wants flyers. After a few months it might actually get updated into AIM and you'll notice 1 less flyer count on your chit. More often than not it never updates and you're stuck with an extra flyer (or ten) in each new set. There are tricks to getting rid of these leftovers obviously, but you need to be careful how you handle them. Of course you can also report your overages in your PDT and risk bringing the Eye of Sauron down on you.

I do verbal requests all the time if it's a CMB but if it's door-to-door I'll just be honest and tell them I can't remember it if they don't leave a note. For houses with lots of stairs or who rarely get mail I'll subtly hint that they can cancel flyers if they want, it works quite often!
Last edited by mikebc on Jan 3rd, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2011
665 posts
534 upvotes
Etobicoke
VanMailMan wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 9:17 pm
I thought the procedure was inform your supervisor and they will give you a red dot to put on the mailbox or slot..
If someone gets really pissy with me I let them know they have to call customer service to arrange it.
I was told that the 'red dot' sticker was only for CMB/condo slots, and any residential mailbox needs a sign saying 'no admail/junk/flyers/etc'.
You inform your supervisor by updating the edit book, which is supposed to be checked weekly by supervisors... like that ever happens. We get our books updated every 2 months maybe?
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
apparently you guys/gals don't have the supervisors/hired help going around on your routes, checking to make sure that you put flyers in every box that doesn't have a sticker, for every point of call on the color of the day. We get written up for having a couple of "misses". Verbal is a no no. Has to have a note on the box.......or else!!!!! Edit book is supposed to be kept up, but yeah, ours hasn't been done for a month.....
May 22, 2015
808 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
So if someone in a panel doesn't want flyers and tells you that, you still make them go online for the request and leave a note? Jeez. I carry red dots in my truck, if you don't want flyers just say so. Verbal notice is fine if they're not door to door, you're capable of updating the book yourself.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
I update my edit book and I know which houses don't get flyers (not the route owner but on long-term coverage) but almost none of them have signs on their mailbox.
I understand the edit book procedure but I was unaware the customers have to have a note on their mailbox or slot in addition to informing Canada Post of their consumer choice option.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2014
1690 posts
1247 upvotes
at the chiropractors
VanMailMan wrote:
Jan 4th, 2019 3:36 am
I update my edit book and I know which houses don't get flyers (not the route owner but on long-term coverage) but almost none of them have signs on their mailbox.
I understand the edit book procedure but I was unaware the customers have to have a note on their mailbox or slot in addition to informing Canada Post of their consumer choice option.
Without a note on the mailbox, how does a relief know whether or not that person wants flyers? The fact that there is so much confusion, once again tells us how incompetent and inconsistent management is. Half of my depot has been SUSPENDED for not delivering flyers to boxes that have no notes, and other depots apparently aren't ever checked and are allowed to go with "well, they said". SMH!!!!!!
Apr 7, 2013
868 posts
500 upvotes
LONDON
Jan 4th, 2019 9:56 am
Without a note on the mailbox, how does a relief know whether or not that person wants flyers? The fact that there is so much confusion, once again tells us how incompetent and inconsistent management is. Half of my depot has been SUSPENDED for not delivering flyers to boxes that have no notes, and other depots apparently aren't ever checked and are allowed to go with "well, they said". SMH!!!!!!
Yep it's assinine. Also paying a supervisor$75,000 a year to check flyers is even more assinine.
Jul 6, 2017
189 posts
147 upvotes
Jan 4th, 2019 9:56 am
Without a note on the mailbox, how does a relief know whether or not that person wants flyers?
We have red dots on the case and sort the flyers into the case. That's how it's been at every depot I've worked at which is why I've never heard of this rule about having a sign on the mailbox.
I'd prefer it if this sign rule was enforced. As relief I've worked some pretty messy cases where the dots haven't been updated by the LC or supervisor and it's hard to figure out what's going on.
A few months ago I tried to "clean up" the route I'm covering and updated the edit book with quite a few new CCs that should have brought my flyer count down. The supervisor printed out a new header and case strips that actually added flyers! He's gone and the replacement doesn't want to deal with it so now I have overages every day.
May 22, 2015
808 posts
973 upvotes
Vancouver
All the more reason why people just don't deal with it. Most route owners won't clean up their edit books until right before a restructure because they know it'll get messed up and come back to haunt them.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 2 guests)

dcjcdc, your best bet